• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
can they finally do the thing where light writes son goku in his death note but IT DOESN'T WORK CAUSE HE'S NOT A HUMAN HE'S A SAIYAN

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
I'm honestly not hopeful that trend will continue with that many relevant characters
Based on what though?

Hit appeared outside of tournament arcs, even got to see him out doing his job. For what he was, I think he got plenty of screen time. I don't think they introduced Jiren to not have him appear in any prominent capacity again. He's still the strongest mortal after all, outside of UI Goku. There's really no reason to believe they won't do anything with him. I wouldn't be surprised to see the U6 Saiyans either, since Saiyan lore seems to be a direction Toriyama and Toei are interested in these days.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
"Here today we have Toriyama-sensei, for this new interview we'd first like to ask you, can you share some insight or future plans for planet Sadala?"

"......what the fuck is a Sadala?"

Oct 27, 2017
Based on what though?

Hit appeared outside of tournament arcs, even got to see him out doing his job. For what he was, I think he got plenty of screen time. I don't think they introduced Jiren to not have him appear in any prominent capacity again. He's still the strongest mortal after all, outside of UI Goku. There's really no reason to believe they won't do anything with him. I wouldn't be surprised to see the U6 Saiyans either, since Saiyan lore seems to be a direction Toriyama and Toei are interested in these days.

Sure I have a pretty good feeling Toei will touch base with these characters in slice of life like those Saiyaman episodes and such but I mean I have little hope for these new characters to get THE W (or even a smaller but still meaningful W) over Goku and Vegeta like Trunks did in his arc outside of tournaments where you NEED more characters

This is based on the fact that Toriyama never really introduces large villain groups in the same way other Shonen do and seems to stick to introducing new people in twos

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
Sure I have a pretty good feeling Toei will touch base with these characters in slice of life like those Saiyaman episodes and such but I mean I have little hope for these new characters to get THE W (or even a smaller but still meaningful W) over Goku and Vegeta like Trunks did in his arc outside of tournaments where you NEED more characters

This is based on the fact that Toriyama never really introduces large villain groups in the same way other Shonen do and seems to stick to introducing new people in twos
Lots of characters in the ToP had their own victories. Trunks had the most significant victory in his arc. Those are the only two major arcs in Super, so they already have a good track record of using characters other than Goku and Vegeta and giving them victories.

There really is no reason to doubt that supporting characters will continue to have their own significance. There is no basis to be drawn upon from Super to support that doubt. There is no arc exclusive to Super where supporting characters got shafted in having their own victories (other than Tenshinhan I guess). Without that, we can't say that there ia a 'good chance' that we won't see Jiren or U6 Saiyans or whoever having any role in the future.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
last time toriyama used a large cast of villains was the namek saga...tournament of power has a large antagonist cast though

Oct 27, 2017
Lots of characters in the ToP had their own victories. Trunks had the most significant victory in his arc. Those are the only two major arcs in Super, so they already have a good track record of using characters other than Goku and Vegeta and giving them victories.

Right there in the first sentence is the problem, the Tournament of Power was peak Dragon ball but only in a tournament setting could we get more appropriate spread of focus

In the last tournament arc they went to great lengths to make sure only Goku or Vegeta did anything meaningful to the point where Buu just slept through it, Piccolo forfeited for no reason and Monaka was a gag

Future Trunks getting a big win is great but that's one character and I'd hope they could juggle more than 3 main characters

The TOP showed us they could but it was isolated in a tournament setting where they HAD to have more people

Like Lotus said earlier if they can have more than 3 fighting characters doing stuff in a non-tournament we'll talk but seeing as Toriyama refuses to introduce a group of villains with multiple strong members nowadays I find it hard to have faith he'll do it now

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
Right there in the first sentence is the problem, the Tournament of Power was peak Dragon ball but only in a tournament setting could we get more appropriate spread of focus

In the last tournament arc they went to great lengths to make sure only Goku or Vegeta did anything meaningful to the point where Buu just slept through it, Piccolo forfeited for no reason and Monaka was a gag

Future Trunks getting a big win is great but that's one character and I'd hope they could juggle more than 3 main characters

The TOP showed us they could but it was isolated in a tournament setting where they HAD to have more people

Like Lotus said earlier if they can have more than 3 fighting characters doing stuff in a non-tournament we'll talk but seeing as Toriyama refuses to introduce a group of villains with multiple strong members nowadays I find it hard to have faith he'll do it now
Right, but what I'm saying is that since there's only been two major original arcs in Super and because those arcs have showcased supporting characters, it doesn't really give any reason to be sceptical that they'll use them in the future. I don't think Toriyama is refusing to do a multi villain arc, he probably wanted to make the Trunks arc a personal, tragic story focused mostly on the one character in the spotlight. Then, the ToP did have a cast of antagonists or opponents for Goku and friends to fight, even if it was in a tournament. Maybe we'll see an arc with multiple villains in the future. If Super was coming right off Z, then I would be more hesitant, because Z had two solo monster arcs in a row, but seeing as Super is its own different thing now, I'm not too sure there's any reason to believe there won't be a chance for future arcs with a larger cast of villains. If it's going to happen, I feel that With Toei writers working in collaboration with Toriyama, it might make it more of a possibility. I remember during the Future Trunks arc, people were hoping to see an arc where more than a few characters got to be in the spotlight - then the ToP happens and does exactly that.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Those 2 Z "solo monster arcs" had much more variety in scenerios and characters used anyway. So theoretically we don't even need a large cast of villains for it to have better character variety (in terms of the heroes). We could give some credit to RoF but personally I think just having them all fight a bunch of random goons at once is kinda lame when we're looking for the thrill of having an arc that's worth getting more characters involved. If this was coming straight off Z I'd have more hope that it would use the hero cast better.

And I agree about the tournament point. It would be much more interesting to see a larger cast of characters used outside of a tournament setting. Just having a huge tournament as an excuse to get other characters involved isn't satisfactory to me on its own.

I just hope we can get a non tourney arc that's more intricate than the non tourney Super arcs that can get more characters involved in a more interesting way. That's the main thing that makes DBZ arcs so much better to me at this point.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Those 2 Z "solo monster arcs" had much more variety in scenerios and characters used anyway. So theoretically we don't even need a large cast of villains for it to have better character variety (in terms of the heroes). We could give some credit to RoF but personally I think just having them all fight a bunch of random goons at once is kinda lame when we're looking for the thrill of having an arc that's worth getting more characters involved. If this was coming straight off Z I'd have more hope that it would use the hero cast better.

I don't really want random goons either. Though I know some people would be satisified w/ that, that's how dire the situation is lol

the annoying thing is dragon ball heroes has a whole bad guy squad in the dark demon mission stuff but they're all trapped in that dumbass continuity

lol rip

Oct 25, 2017
I need a Alabasta/enies lobby/Dressrosa arc for the characters. Always said. Everybody got that one person to go fist to cuffs with a hard fought battle. It don't need to be the full cast hell you wanna leave the kids leave the kids buy the 10 for the tournament of power hell yea that would be amazing. Not in a tournament setting either so I guess only way it would work is with the other 2? 3? Universes that didn't take part

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Seen the new movie. It's good, on par with Battle of Gods. Slice of life moments were funny, as usuall, and I like that Beerus is relegated to be a babysitter. The battle was really spectacular, IMO, Dragon Ball has never looked better. I hope the new anime will look at least half as good. And that Gogeta vs Broly theme, wow.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
image0.png

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017

And I agree about the tournament point. It would be much more interesting to see a larger cast of characters used outside of a tournament setting. Just having a huge tournament as an excuse to get other characters involved isn't satisfactory to me on its own.

I just hope we can get a non tourney arc that's more intricate than the non tourney Super arcs that can get more characters involved in a more interesting way. That's the main thing that makes DBZ arcs so much better to me at this point.
I don't really agree with variety in scenarios and characters, at least if we're comparing the tournament arc to the Z arcs. Maybe the Buu arc was fairly dynamic, but the Cell arc was fairly bland scenario and character wise. It was mostly characters going from one rocky terrain to another to talk about how strong they were or stall for time. Most of the characters outside of Goku, Vegeta and Trunks had little to do outside of lamenting their weakness or being sidekicks until the arc climax where oh yeah they got hidden potential to make them the strongest. Piccolo got to be cool though, his last time in the sun, so that was def good.

The writing really lacked any kind of representation of variety - chiefly in the dialogue which is super dry in Z. The thing about strength as an idea was really left unexplored in Z, there was no depth to it. This is where Super has really taken off, in being able to articulate something simple yet tied to how the characters engage with one another through belief and explorations of their identities beyond merely the desire to be strong.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really agree with variety in scenarios and characters, at least if we're comparing the tournament arc to the Z arcs. Maybe the Buu arc was fairly dynamic, but the Cell arc was fairly bland scenario and character wise. It was mostly characters going from one rocky terrain to another to talk about how strong they were or stall for time. Most of the characters outside of Goku, Vegeta and Trunks had little to do outside of lamenting their weakness or being sidekicks until the arc climax where oh yeah they got hidden potential to make them the strongest. Piccolo got to be cool though, his last time in the sun, so that was def good.

The writing really lacked any kind of representation of variety - chiefly in the dialogue which is super dry in Z. The thing about strength as an idea was really left unexplored in Z, there was no depth to it. This is where Super has really taken off, in being able to articulate something simple yet tied to how the characters engage with one another through belief and explorations of their identities beyond merely the desire to be strong.

It's hard for me to compare the tournament arcs in the same way, and I'm not particularly interetsed in tournament arcs.

In terms of the non tourney arcs, Cell saga is infintely more dynamic than any of non tourney arcs in Super in terms of who's fighting who, who's where who's doing what, where they're going then any of the non tourney arcs in Super. I literally just read it and can easily attest lol. Especially in locations. Them just going places adds a lot tbh. The only time locations variety isn't a plus to me (in Z) is Frieza saga because everything on Namek basically looks the same. And Cell Saga has many more distinguishable "wasteland" enviornments than that (and any arc in Super).

Last edited:

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Abu hey dood. What did you think of the Broly movie? It made me really happy. Those fight scenes were flippin' sick and they really just...gave us the Broly we all know and love. I also think it's kind of interesting they gave him a "good" personality this time and he's no longer a villain. I hope this means we get to see more of him in the future.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
And Cell Saga has many more distinguishable "wasteland" enviornments than that (and any arc in Super).
I think ToP arena is easily the best fighting stage DB has ever had. It has it's own dynamic architecture that's constantly
reshaped and sculpted through the action and various characters make their own unique marks on it. It's almost it's own character in a way. None of the landscapes in DB have ever had that much character because they're basically just rubble for characters to be thrown in. The fighting tactics of various characters are in part defined by their interaction with the environment in ways DB hasn't approached before.

It's interesting because it works as more than a backdrop, which isn't something DB has really done with its environments before. I like that the Broly movie seemed to be following this kind of thing with the shift of the icy landscape to a volcanic landscape. I hope this continues in the future of Super. Like, looking back on Z, I do find it hard to be impressed with the locations, even if they went to more of them. I don't think visual topography was ever a strong point with Toriyama.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
I think ToP arena is easily the best fighting stage DB has ever had. It has it's own dynamic architecture that's constantly
reshaped and sculpted through the action and various characters make their own unique marks on it. It's almost it's own character in a way. None of the landscapes in DB have ever had that much character because they're basically just rubble for characters to be thrown in. The fighting tactics of various characters are in part defined by their interaction with the environment in ways DB hasn't approached before.

It's interesting because it works as more than a backdrop, which isn't something DB has really done with its environments before. I like that the Broly movie seemed to be following this kind of thing with the shift of the icy landscape to a volcanic landscape. I hope this continues in the future of Super. Like, looking back on Z, I do find it hard to be impressed with the locations, even if they went to more of them. I don't think visual topography was ever a strong point with Toriyama.

The ToP in general is a pretty interesting setup for a tourney, but I think it could have been used a lot better than it was. Though in regards to what you explain about the stage itself, I've never thought of that before. That's a pretty interesting thing to take from it.

Though I'm still soured it didn't somehow go to the promised land but I digress.

4c0JMRK.gif

Even if it was arguably never a "strong point" with toriyama, I'm just comparing the series to itself. I just think Z gives me a lot more to chew on in that respect. There are a lot of locations I can remember the difference of in Cell saga, like the wasteland where they meet trunks, the city where the androids appear and the surrounding area, the rocky lands up north @ gero's, gero's lab, the streets, the mountain road, the forest where they find cell's time machine, the city where they piccolo and cell fight, the islands where a bunch of shiz with the andoids and cell and vegeta goes down, "supplemental" places like roshi's place, the plane, kami's lookout, hyperbolic time chamber, then the cell games location. All of those have distinguishable looks to me, and even if it's not SUPER varied, it's varied enough for me to have fun with following the whole adventure around.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Article about the 30th Anniversary of DBZ was in License Global magazine.

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2019/02/1...pcoming-dragon-ball-z-30th-anniversary-plans/

Some stuff that was in the article in the magazine but not mentioned on Kanzenshuu.

Some time in March or April Toei will be teaming up with Adult Swim to make an announcement to celebrate the 30th Anniversary of DBZ (April 26th is the anniversary).

After the reception of Dragon Ball's presence at SDCC last year Toei plans to have an even bigger presence this year.

It'd be kinda strange if the announcement Toei and Adult Swim are going to make is Super's return, but with Broly's marketing being so US focused I guess it'd make sense. We'll see if that's the announcement or not. April 26th makes sense as a potential date to announce the show's return with it being DBZ's 30th anniversary.

In before the announcement is that Super is over and a sequel series is coming this year titled Dragon Ball Z.

Last edited:

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Article about the 30th Anniversary of DBZ was in License Global magazine.

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2019/02/1...pcoming-dragon-ball-z-30th-anniversary-plans/

Some stuff that was in the article in the magazine but not mentioned on Kanzenshuu.

Some time in March or April Toei will be teaming up with Adult Swim to make an announcement to celebrate the 30th Anniversary of DBZ (April 26th is the anniversary).

After the reception of Dragon Ball's presence at SDCC last year Toei plans to have an even bigger presence this year.

It'd be kinda strange if the announcement Toei and Adult Swim are going to make is Super's return, but with Broly's marketing being so US focused I guess it'd make sense. We'll see if that's the announcement or not. April 26th makes sense as a potential date to announce the show's return with it being DBZ's 30th anniversary.

In before the announcement is that Super is over and a sequel series is coming this year titled Dragon Ball Z.

Here's the thing.

ArchedThunder is expecting a "Super returns!" announcement at an upcoming event.

Therefore it is not happening.

:3

The article also mentions:

"In February, along with Funimation, we're going to have a 30th anniversary collectible home video release announcement," says [senior manager of licensing and marketing at Toei Animation, Lisa] Yamatoya. "This summer, we will partner with Overlook to host a 'Dragon Ball Z' symphony concert in the U.S. and Canada. The audience can listen to the symphony while clips from the show play, allowing fans to see the story on-screen with live music."

That Kikuchi symphony show is on my bucket list. It needs to come to Canada.

Also, I wonder what "30th anniversary collectible home video release" means. That doesn't sound like it's describing just the Broly movie. Could we finally be seeing a full, proper blu ray remaster of Z?

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the thing.

ArchedThunder is expecting a "Super returns!" announcement at an upcoming event.

Didn't say I was expecting it, I said this is a possible time for the announcement.

Also, I wonder what "30th anniversary collectible home video release" means. That doesn't sound like it's describing just the Broly movie. Could we finally be seeing a full, proper blu ray remaster of Z?
Could be the movie remasters that Toei released in Japan recently.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the thing.

The article also mentions:

That Kikuchi symphony show is on my bucket list. It needs to come to Canada.

Broadcast audio release is the dream.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Wasn't that the rumor for a while? Since Toie already remastered the movies recently, it only makes sense to remaster DB and DBZ as well.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Could be the movie remasters that Toei released in Japan recently.

it's totally gonna be those shitty censored blu ray releases (even though there exists amazing, uncensored versions of each movie exclusively on amazon japan... fucked up situation)

THE DREAM

They need to stop being cowards and just download the broadcast audio off the internet and use it in their releases. Completely takes a dump on that hiss-filled audio they've been using for the last 20 years.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Adult swim huh...that basically means that Toonami is announcing something dragon ball related...interesting

Oct 25, 2017
Sabat already has the tapes with the original Z Japanese broadcast audio that a Japanese fan sent him so there's that.

It's hard for me to care about the original Z nowadays with that dub.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope that one day Dragon Ball will consistently have villains on the level of Broly (Super), Cell and Frieza in terms of characterization. A route I'd like to see them explore would act as a point of reflection for Goku and build upon Whis and Vegeta's warning regarding his penchant for mercy and second chances. Create a villain that's the survivor of Frieza's tyranny throughout the universe following his restoration at the end of ToP/or Broly. They, along with other characters, journey throughout the stars hunting Frieza and his force...which brings them into conflict with Broly because Cheelai and Lemo are targets of theirs as well. However, their ultimate target is Goku for his role in reviving Frieza (regardless of the universal stakes) and the destruction of the Earth, so Goku can know the pain that they carry. The band traveling with the primary antagonist means the involvement of other (powerful) Z fighters.

Next, find some way to incorporate Cooler into canon and with him possessing more power than his younger sibling. He's investigating what happened to his brother following his disappearance on Earth. Re-write him to actually begrudgingly care for his little brother and is also seeking the dragon balls to revive King Cold and learn of Frieza's whereabouts/what happened to him.

Following that, I'd like to see them build upon the duality theme that's been ongoing in Super. A villain fashioned from the chaos of reality's birth, a foil to the Grand Priest and realty's order would be cool. They'd be a being imprisoned within the deepest levels of Hell and would be freed by sole ancient cult that worships them as a messiah. Maybe they could be the penultimate big bad in Super that ends the series.

Finally, I'd like to see the return of the original Super Saiyan/SS God. His/Her return is achieved by Goku receiving the universal dragon balls at the culmination of the last battle and wishing for their return so he can do battle with them. His wish is granted and regardless of Goku's power gains from sparring with Broly and his complete mastery of Ultra Instinct he is beaten by the character's base form. Though Goku loses, the OG is impressed with his efforts and refusal to admit defeat and offers to train Goku if he wishes it. Goku accepts the offer after mulling that Goten is now an adult and that ChiChi doesn't cook as often as she once did.

Moro seems like an ok villain so far and his design is a breath of fresh air but I want characters with some depth to them and have a reason for being.

Status
Not open for further replies.