• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
aEbgze2.png

This thread is primarily for the Japanese version of Dragon Ball Super and its worldwide simulcast, if you are watching the show with a dub you will run into spoilers for episodes you have not yet seen. If you want to discuss the English dub as it airs check out the Toonami thread.

IUbya0g.png

Fdmfayi.png

• No scans.
  • No linking to sites where you can illegally watch the show.
  • Stay on topic
  • No spamming or shitposting
  • Be civil

CcUNgAA.png

Dragon Ball Super is a follow up to Dragon Ball Z, though all of the stories so far have taken place before the final episodes of Z. The primary story arcs of the show are based on outlines written by Dragon Ball creator Akira Toriyama and then expanded and modified in a group effort between Toei and Akira Toriyama.
The series continues the adventures of Goku and his friends as they meet new and returning characters as well as fight new, powerful foes. The Dragon Ball world has been expanded with new realms of power and the revelation that our heroes reside in one of 12 universes, each with their own people, warriors and gods.
Dragon Ball Super began airing on July 5th, 2015 and ended its initial run on March 25th, 2018.
It is currently unknown if or when then show will return, but the show is described as ending "for now".

tKvHN1O.png

Dragon Ball Super, in its initial run, completed 5 arcs from Akira Toriyama, 2 of which were adaptations of the films Battle of Gods and Resurrection F.
l3Muojd.png
JetsOW1.png

KurQQZ6.png
VTV4NCm.png

7bCLZww.png

Z8baTJ2.png

While Dragon Ball Super has gone off air for the time being there is still a brand new movie coming.

Staff
  • Original Author, Script, & Character Design: Akira Toriyama
  • Director: Tatsuya Nagamine
  • Animation Supervisor: Naohiro Shintani
  • Art Director: Kazuo Ogura
In a massive shake up for the franchise that we haven't seen for nearly two decades, the lead animation supervisor and animation character designer is not series veteran Tadayoshi Yamamuro, but instead the young and talented Naohiro Shintani. Shintani is responsible for the new look of the characters and the style was created in conjunction with Akira Toriyama, starting February 2017. It is currently unknown if Yamamuro will participate in the movie or any future projects.

The film currently only has the working title of "Dragon Ball Super Movie". Plot details are currently scarce, but what we do know is that the movie will take place after the events of the Universe Survival Arc and we will learn new things about Saiyans and their origins, as well as new things about Freeza.

A comment from Akira Toriyama on the film, translation from Kanzenshuu.

The Dragon Ball Super movie this time will be the next story in the series currently airing on TV. It will be an episode after catching our breath from the climax of the Tournament of Power with the universe's existence on the line; with content that will give a little better understanding about Freeza and the Saiyans, which I hadn't properly depicted up till now; and leading to a mighty foe saved for the occasion, which I think has it shaping up to be a really enjoyable story.

As with 2013's Battle of Gods and the last outing Resurrection 'F', I've written the story myself, and I've had the privilege of drawing lots of design illustrations as well.
The fact is, while I'm just as busy as ever, as long as I'm not doing a serial, I have plenty of free time to think about the animated version, which I was completely hands-off about before.
(laughs) So please look forward to it!

Now then, the animated version on TV will be ending for the time being, but the very popular Dragon Ball Super comic drawn by Toyotaro (on sale now up through volume 5!) will keep on going as-is. I think there will also be story developments different from the TV show and the movie, so please look forward to that as well. I will be, too!

–Akira Toriyama

The movie is set for a release in Japan on December 14th, 2018, and January 2019 worldwide.

CDVEWFv.png

Depending on your region you should be able to watch episodes officially subbed on Crunchyroll, DBS-Cardgame, AnimeLab and Funimation.
Various dubs around the world are also airing! Funimation's English dub airs Saturday nights on Adult Swim.

04UDXN0.png

Dragon Ball Super also has a manga, but unlike with Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z the anime is not based on the it. The manga is created by an artist who goes by the name Toyotaro and is based on the same outlines as the anime, but does many things differently.
The manga can be read totally free, in English on Viz's site.

VhjdpC7.png

Q. Is Dragon Ball Super really over?
A. It is unclear if Dragon Ball Super is completely done or if it will return after the new movie, but with the massive amount of money being made on the franchise at the moment is is incredibly likely that if Super doesn't return a new Dragon Ball show will start sometime after the movie. It's also important to note that the official word so far has just been that the TV anime is ending "for now" and none of the voice actors seem to think this is the end of the series on TV, with Masako Nozawa even calling it a "little break".

Q. Why does the movie look so different?
A. As mentioned above, the movie has a new animation character designer and this new style was created in conjunction with Akira Toriyama to look closer to his original manga, to be more animation friendly, and to accentuate the action.

Q. Is the movie's look the look for Dragon Ball going forward?
A. It's currently unknown if this style is just for the movie, but it would be logical to assume this is going to be the style going forward as they started work on it nearly 2 years before the movie's air date and Akira Toriyama was involved.

Q. If the first two arcs are just retellings of two movies should I watch them or the show?
A. It really comes down to what you want to do, some people even prefer the Super retellings of the arcs. The fastest way to get caught up on the series is to start by watching the films Battle of Gods and Resurrection F and then pick up Super on episode 28, but the best way to get into the show in a shorter amount of time than watching 27 episodes is to watch the first two episodes of Super, the Battle of Gods film, episode 15 and then either Ajay's Resurrection F Super Cut (a fan recut of the the film that includes a lot of Super footage, but I can't link you to it) or watch episodes 16, 17 and 18 followed by the Resurrection F film and pick up Super at episode 28. With the end of the Universe Survival arc there is a fairly large reference to the Battle of Gods arc of Super, however understanding that reference isn't the most important thing to enjoy that scene.

Welcome to the new OT and a new era of Dragon Ball!

Last edited:

Kishido

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My preditcion for the movie

The cast has to fight against a big evil army but is outnumbered... But suddenly Freeza's space ship will appear to "help out"

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Threadly reminder that Freeza is literally space Hitler and we shouldnt be happy about him being back.

After 131 Im glad he's back.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I always find it hilarious that 17 fans are always like "Gohan had good showings", but you know for damn sure if their roles were reversed they wouldn't like that.

Then there's the whole "he achieved a lot, he's a family man now!", like uhh... 17 is a family man in Super and that didn't stop him from going from getting absorbed by Cell to fighting Jiren.

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
I always find it hilarious that 17 fans are always like "Gohan had good showings", but you know for damn sure if their roles were reversed they wouldn't like that.

Then there's the whole "he achieved a lot, he's a family man now!", like uhh... 17 is a family man in Super and that didn't stop him from going from getting absorbed by Cell to fighting Jiren.
It's a matter of attitude, Gohan is mellow and doesn't really like fighting, never did, remember he wanted to resolve things with Cell by talking when they were already fighting?

17, on the other hand, has a work which requires fighting, never stopped training and actually likes to fight. It's no coincidence 18 keeps telling him he's like Goku.

That's why they're both family men yet they are very different and the ToP reflected that perfectly.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I really love the dragon ball classic illustration.

Actually it would probably be a good banner for the OT.

Demon Eyes

Oct 29, 2017
Really loved Super overall. Hit, Kale, Jiren, Basil, Dyspo, Toppo, Black, and Roh I really grew to like from the new characters.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Gohan has done enough, time to retire him form fighting for good

???

I really hope Goku Vegeta and co fuck off to some other universe, and we have an arc or chapter within an arc where it's up to Gohan 17 18 Krilin Gotenks to save the day.

There's no reason to get rid of Gohan. But they do need to give us Great Saiyaman.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yo if y'all are looking for something new now that DBS is on break, allow me to recommend the manga BLACK CLOVER. Like Dragon Ball, it is mostly battle-focused but with a very strong emphasis on Team Battles (which is what I and many people wanted more of in the TPS) with great characters and varied fighting styles. It also has fantasic art, an interesting world and politics and does a top-tier job of handling its large cast (and is probably the best battle shonen when it comes to its handling of female characters). If you start reading it, OT is here.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Hits not getting sidelined.

Other than Goku Black (who's super dead) he's the most popular antagonist in Japan

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Gohan has done enough, time to retire him form fighting for good

Yep.

latest

This is true timeline Gohan, the biggest badass in Dragon Ball.

But current Gohan is exactly the character he should be given the circumstances. He inadvertently got his dad killed by Cell due to a power trip - a power trip that reoccurred when he fought Buu. He shouldn't like fighting, and just because he's the protagonist's son doesn't mean he has to become Boruto. He's good as a supporting cast member.

INST

Nov 2, 2017
Yep.

latest

This is true timeline Gohan, the biggest badass in Dragon Ball.

But current Gohan is exactly the character he should be given the circumstances. He inadvertently got his dad killed by Cell due to a power trip - a power trip that reoccurred when he fought Buu. He shouldn't like fighting, and just because he's the protagonist's son doesn't mean he has to become Boruto. He's good as a supporting cast member.

Is he though? Is he really? He is rather boring as a supporting cast member now. Same goes for Videl who just became another housemom. Way to ruin 2 great characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.