• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Goku using not-Kaioken Blue in the manga is such a weird thing, like it's clear Toyo wanted to do Kaioken, but seemingly made it not Kaioken just to be different.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Goku using not-Kaioken Blue in the manga is such a weird thing, like it's clear Toyo wanted to do Kaioken, but seemingly made it not Kaioken just to be different.

Like I've said before, I think it's possible he actually can't heavily copy the anime like that (aside from material made for the outline by the Dragonball Room, like the designs for minor fighters in this tournament). The manga doesn't credit Toei or its staff after all. So, something like Kaioken Blue might be outright unusable by Toyotaro.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Like I've said before, I think it's possible he actually can't heavily copy the anime like that (aside from material made for the outline by the Dragonball Room, like the designs for minor fighters in this tournament). The manga doesn't credit Toei or its staff after all. So, something like Kaioken Blue might be outright unusable by Toyotaro.
They can just add a credit like "additional story help" or something, like how the anime started crediting Toyotaro for additional designs.
It's not like Shueisha and Toei don't work together or anything.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

Wasn't Omen supposedly Toei?

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Speculation, could have been a Toriyama idea though.
Or hell, could have been a Toyo idea, it was his idea to do Vegetto after all, and that was before Toei ever started crediting him.

Seemed too clever for Toyo, honestly. In comparison, Vegito was pure fan-service.

Funny enough, a lot of fans, including one of the mobs, on Reddit claimed Vegito Blue was Toei's idea that Toyo copied to meet fan's expectations.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Or it was a Toriyama idea all along and we've been bamboozled

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Pure speculation, but I kinda feel like Omen was Toriyama's idea.

Thing is, there is no original Toriyama sketch for Omen, but there is one for completed UI. That is how many also figured out before it was outright confirmed that Vegeta's new form was made for the anime since all of Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Evolution sketches were from the anime staff. Although, I thought that was obvious by the way it was presented in the anime.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't Omen supposedly Toei?

It's actually not that clear.

This is the quote that convinced people it was anime-only.

Takami: I was happy to hear from many fans online and elsewhere how much they enjoyed it. And of course story-wise as well it was an incredible fight, with that initial power-up. Toriyama-sensei had given us the word "Ultra Instinct" and its backstory and design, so we made Goku and Jiren's fight the main event for that episode, with "Ultra Instinct: Omen" appearing too.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
If it was Toriyama we probably would have seen his design for it.

Thing is, there is no original Toriyama sketch for Omen, but there is one for completed UI. That is how many also figured out before it was outright confirmed that Vegeta's new form was made for the anime since all of Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Evolution sketches were from the anime staff. Although, I thought that was obvious by the way it was presented in the anime.
There was a lot of Toriyama designs we never saw, like Jiren. We haven't even seen his designs for the new movie, even though he's apparently done a shit ton.
Also it could have been his idea without him actually doing a design, he coulda just said like "take UI and make the hair and eyebrows black".

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
It's actually not that clear.

This is the quote that convinced people it was anime-only.

Thought so, but I never got why people thought it meant it was anime only from this statement. The lack of a Toriyama's sketch is much more compelling.

There was a lot of Toriyama designs we never saw, like Jiren. We haven't even seen his designs for the new movie, even though he's apparently done a shit ton.
Also it could have been his idea without him actually doing a design, he coulda just said like "take UI and make the hair and eyebrows black".

Wouldn't there be a note next to the design like what he did for Rose Black? Like he never drew Super Saiyan Black, but he had a note saying 'Black has a Super Saiyan form'.

Also, for the sketches we don't have from Toriyama, the staff usually tells us that it is Toriyama like how they redrew Broly from Toriyama's sketch with little changes or them talking about Toriyama designing Toppo, Dypso, and Jiren.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Thought so, but I never got why people thought it meant it was anime only from this statement. The lack of a Toriyama's sketch is much more compelling.

Wouldn't there be a note next to the design like what he did for Rose Black? Like he never drew Super Saiyan Black, but he had a note saying 'Black has a Super Saiyan form'.

Also, for the sketches we don't have from Toriyama, the staff usually tells us that it is Toriyama like how they redrew Broly from Toriyama's sketch with little changes or them talking about Toriyama designing Toppo, Dypso, and Jiren.
That was on the actual sheet for Toriyama's Black design, but we never saw the sheet for his UI design, just the drawing itself cut out and put on a magazine page.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Omen was Toyo's idea.

His version seems different than the anime's. It has the SSG body type after all.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I don't think Omen was Toyo's idea.

His version seems different than the anime's. It has the SSG body type after all.

What I find interesting about Omen is how different it is presented in the anime and manga.

In the anime, Goku when in Omen is very stoic to the point that people thought Goku was unconscious in 110 because of how zombie like he was. He also didn't talk or shout. It was all business. Even when he did talk in 116, it was short and curt.

Manga Omen decided to present Goku with a :o face of all things. I don't why, but I burst out laughing when I saw it. Toyo didn't even give Goku the dignity of throwing a punch in Omen.

Last edited:

Vito

Oct 25, 2017
What I find interesting about Omen is how different it is presented in the anime and manga.

In the anime, Goku when in Omen is very stoic to the point that people thought Goku was unconscious in 110 because of how zombie like he was. He also didn't talk or shout. It was all business. Even when he did talk in 116, it was short and curt.

Manga Omen decided to present Goku with a :o face of all things. I don't why, but I burst out laughing when I saw it. Toyo didn't even Goku the dignity of throwing a punch in Omen.
He'll throw it off-screen.

Sony

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I mean Toriyama knows where necks are located

b7b1ae697ee4886ce38da32b653bf362.png

And where the leg joints are. Wtf, that is all kinds of wrong.

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I never really followed the Dragon Ball Super manga but after seeing the Roshi vs. Jiren stuff pop up on my social media this weekend I had to see what was going on. Some combination of WTF, JFC, LMFAO and SMH I think appropriately covers the spread of my reaction >_<

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Honestly, UI Roshi doesn't bug me that much. It's stupid and makes no freaking sense, but it's stupid and make no sense in a funny and cool way for me like Haki Goku. What really sells it for me is how even the characters in the story are going WTF. Like Toyo knows how the fanbase is going to react and is trolling, and I can get behind a good troll.

Gohan vs. Kefla, however, is terrible. Not because Gohan won, but because Kelfa more or less gave up in a 'oh well' fashion that is unbecoming of her. If she went down defiant like the U6 Namekians in the anime, I wouldn't have so much issue.

Goku learning UI from Roshi honestly makes Goku look like a dumbass since why didn't he figured this out when he saw Beerus do it? And why didn't Goku go flying out of the ring after Jiren punched him in the face in base form when the punch was meant for Omen?

And the greatest sin of the chapter, making Omen look so hideous and not even letting Goku get an attack in with it. Granted, Omen isn't Super Saiyan God Vegeta level of yuck, but Toyo did no justice for it.

But there is one question I do have after reading this chapter, who exactly is the editor for Toyo? Like, are any of these ideas vetted? Toriyama checked every chapter, supposedly, so he really okay all of this?

Last edited:

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think Omen looks particulary bad, the eyes look the same, the hairs are similar, the only major difference is that he didn't spend his time making it look cooler than it really his by using screentone or whatever to imitate the CGI aura.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I don't think Omen looks particulary bad, the eyes look the same, the hairs are similar, the only major difference is that he didn't spend his time making it look cooler than it really his by using screentone or whatever to imitate the CGI aura.

That isn't it since I have seen b/w fan pictures of Omen look good with no aura.

Kyo

Oct 25, 2017
Gohan vs. Kefla, however, is terrible. Not because Gohan won, but because Kelfa more or less gave up in a 'oh well' fashion that is unbecoming of her. If she went down defiant like the U6 Namekians in the anime, I wouldn't have so much issue.

It's ok, Gohan just tapped into his true potential and killed Kefla's personality.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Honestly, UI Roshi doesn't bug me that much. It's stupid and makes no freaking sense, but it's stupid and make no sense in a funny and cool way for me like Haki Goku. What really sells it for me is how even the characters in the story are going WTF. Like Toyo knows how the fanbase is going to react and is trolling, and I can get behind a good troll.

Goku learning UI from Roshi honestly makes Goku look like a dumbass since why didn't he figured this out when he saw Beerus do it? And why didn't Goku go flying out of the ring after Jiren punched him in the face in base form when the punch was meant for Omen?

And the greatest sin of the chapter, making Omen look so hideous and not even letting Goku get an attack in with it. Granted, Omen isn't Super Saiyan God Vegeta level of yuck, but Toyo did no justice for it.

But there is one question I do have after reading this chapter, who exactly is the editor for Toyo? Like, are any of these ideas vetted? Toriyama checked every chapter, supposedly, so he really okay all of this?

To me the greatest sin is the not-Kaioken

What a joke

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Gohan in z tapped into a new layer of his full potential in every arc, so to not do that for 4 arcs straight and then bring it back after an entire series of power creep, with no catching up on old transformation like blue is weird.

Sony

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Gohan in z tapped into a new layer of his full potential in every arc, so to not do that for 4 arcs straight and then bring it back after an entire series of power creep, with no catching up on old transformation like blue is weird.

No, what's weird is that Gohan went from:
CWISr3yUkAAPYjV.jpg

To defeating Kefla, where his only noteable match fight was sparring with Goku for less than 5 minutes.

To be honest though, I hate Kale and Caulifla, so I'm glad Gohan kicked Kefla's ass. Kale and Caulifla were made too strong to begin with.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
No, what's weird is that Gohan went from:
CWISr3yUkAAPYjV.jpg

To defeating Kefla, where his only noteable match fight was sparring with Goku for less than 5 minutes.

To be honest though, I hate Kale and Caulifla, so I'm glad Gohan kicked Kefla's ass. Kale and Caulifla were made too strong to begin with.

That's anime not manga. And Cali wasn't even that strong in the manga. She only got Super Saiyan. So it isn't even the same character you hate.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Kale and Caulifla were 2 of the best characters in super by far

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so Toyotaro can't use something specifically created by Toei?

Wouldn't that sort of kill a lot of what the manga can do?

Kagari

潜在能力解放
Oct 24, 2017
How is it weird when that's his established character trait.

Vito

Oct 25, 2017
How is it weird when that's his established character trait.
It's not weird.

What infuriates me though is the hypocrisy of people. 99% of people bitched about Gohan catching up to Goku in a day on the anime but are fine with what happened in the manga.

Bullshit.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
people complain about bullshit catch up mechanics in this series that has always had them...i mean goku going super saiyan the first time is just as bullshit as anything that's happened in super

Status
Not open for further replies.