• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
If its a promo artist doesn't that lend more credence to something being announced?
Not necessarily, it's existing art from last year, but they also likely wouldn't waste time or money on having a new piece of art made for this little tease, regardless of if it relates to Super or not. Heroes reuses art all the time, the important thing is that they never use Shintani's style unless it's promoting something that actually involves that style, so so far they have only used it for Broly movie stuff. That doesn't confirm that this is related to the announcement of Super season 2, but it does heavily imply that whatever this is it involves Shintani's style in some way, be it Super season 2, a new Broly movie event of some kind in game or something else.
Keep in mind this tease is for something to do with Heroes, but not the promo anime, but it could very well be a tease for new in game content to celebrate Super season 2.

Last edited:

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Summary of Toriyama DBS: Broly "Anime-Comic" Q&A

Toriyama is asked if this trio of Broly, Lemo and Cheelye is likely to play a role again.
He says that Cheelye and Lemo were his favorite characters this time around. They may be lowlifes who signed up with Freeza's army, but they turn out to be a bit more decent than anyone else. If he has the chance, he'd definitely like to have them play a role that caters to their strengths as a trio again.​

Toriyama is asked what his impressions are of Bardock, Paragus and King Vegeta as fathers.
Innately, Saiyans place emphasis on increasing the number of strong people in their race, so bonds between parent and child aren't all that strong. King Vegeta and Paragus aim to use their sons to fulfill their own pride and ambitions, respectively, while Bardock, unusually for a Saiyan and more similarly to Earthlings, seems to have just a bit of fondness for his son. Come to think of it, Toriyama comments, Goku doesn't seem to think about his children all that much.
(Commentary to the side of the comment claims that Vegeta displays just a bit more affection toward his children than Goku does his, and questions whether it isn't the influence of his beloved Bulma, though this isn't attributed to Toriyama. It also points out that Bardock changed the fate of the universe by showing the slightest bit of affection for his son.)​

Toriyama is asked for his favorite battle scene in the movie.
He says the battle scenes were really incredible and though the way they provided the impression that the battle had really slipped into another dimension was novel. Although they aren't exactly battle scenes, he also says he particularly liked Goku's bouncy warm-up sequence and breathing onto the Freeza soldiers' ship. Both were "adlibs" from the animation staff. (Adlibs as in, presumably, details not described in the script.)​

Toriyama is asked if he issued any particular requests for his characters' gestures, expressions, or way of speaking as they went from script to film.
He says he didn't issue any particular requests. The dialogue was all written into the script, and he thinks the director did a good job inferring the general atmosphere of everything from that.​

Last, in the wake of Broly's international acclaim, Toriyama is asked for a message to the readers.
He says he isn't sure if comics can truly capture the incredibleness of the battle scenes from the film, but asks readers to try to imagine the sense of speed and impact as they're reading. The sense of imagination is important. And get excited (wakuwaku, referencing Goku's usual phrasing).​
Source: @Cipher_db

Geldboom

Oct 28, 2017
"Come to think of it, Toriyama comments, Goku doesn't seem to think about his children all that much."

2019%252F04%252F12%252Fd7%252F87bbadf6ba42450cba38804a04599435.39253.png%252F1200x630.png

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
who's ready for the sea of never ending SEE GOKU'S A TERRIBLE DAD TORIYAMA CONFIRMED IT comments

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Shintani's style being used to promote the yearly Heroes tour.
D5rsyx4VUAARx6T.jpg:large

Since it's just Gogeta you can't really read much into it, just using Broly stuff to promote it. It's always nice to see the style used though.
This could potentially mean the Goku Day announcement that Heroes has coming is related to something that will be shown off on this tour though, as opposed to being Super season 2 related. Or it could be both really, they could announce that the tour will show stuff from the show, who knows.

Last edited:

Enforced

Oct 26, 2017
Just watched Goku vs Jiren in english dub. It's kinda strange seeing the design again after the movie. Im so used to in Shintani's style. Lol

Tux_

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Sean came through with the Jiren vs Goku dub fight. That man is greatness.

Ep 109 still kicks ass. 109 and 110 remain some of my favourite of the whole franchise.

Didnt 109/110 release at the same time in Japan? Or was there still a weeks wait?

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Sean came through with the Jiren vs Goku dub fight. That man is greatness.

Ep 109 still kicks ass. 109 and 110 remain some of my favourite of the whole franchise.

Didnt 109/110 release at the same time in Japan? Or was there still a weeks wait?
same week, Toonami rarely shows double episodes though

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
wow thats lame as hell. the episode just ends abrubtly, completely ruined the greatness of the original airing. this was clearly meant to be shown back to back.
The full length episode also had extra scenes in the middle that are missing from the split episode version...

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2018
Just watched episode 105 of Dragon Ball Super. Master Roshi is a true G. I'm glad they gave him time to shine. I love seeing old martial arts masters. I wish we could get more of them in anime and shows.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
It's pretty common for anime films to be in 1080p native. Some companies do upscale to 4k (e.g. Your Name) but it doesn't matter much.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

GOKU DAY HYPE!!!

Also I finished my video on that whole 30th anniversary blu ray situation. Shit ended up being 9000+ words and 57 minutes. That's the fucked up state of Dragon Ball Z on home video in 2019.

Tux_

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Rewatching the entire Namek/Frieza saga ... this was Toriyama's masterpiece. So good

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
That's some sexy art. Feels like a mix of his recent art and his art from about a year ago.
It's more Toriyama, less Nakatsuru.

Last edited:

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Shintani art direction anime is slowly looking to go from being a dream to an actuality. Shit is hype as fuck to say the least. No glossy plastic lighting. No twig man Super Saiyan and off model art. All smooth lines, slightly desaturated colors and flat matte drawings with some dynamic posing. Buff as fuck Goku and Vegeta finally. Its all just perfect, even the thinner Super Saiyan God is buff as hell, just more toned instead of the horror that was before. Its almost like its going to be a Super version of Super, Super Max if you would.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
But its just normal ssj lol? Shintani doesn't decide the new colors.
That's not his job. Thank god whoever decided that blue needed new colors.
Teppei Hotta was the color designer for DB since BoG and was replaced by Rumiko Nagai in Broly. For Broly they used the full color manga as the main reference point for colors, but that doesn't really explain Blue as it wasn't in the manga. Nagai could have just done it himself and it was approved, or maybe it was decided by someone else that they should adjust the color to look nicer with Goku's outfit. That might also explain why Vegeta had a big change in outfit colors that are even very different from the Full Color Manga, they might have wanted to make the outfit colors fit with Blue nicer.

Somewhat related, but I think it's interesting that Shintani went with highlights on the hair instead of shading, it's pretty different from how he usually does hair. Guess he felt it fits better with the simple shading used here.

Geldboom

Oct 28, 2017
Teppei Hotta was the color designer for DB since BoG and was replaced by Rumiko Nagai in Broly. For Broly they used the full color manga as the main reference point for colors, but that doesn't really explain Blue as it wasn't in the manga. Nagai could have just done it himself and it was approved, or maybe it was decided by someone else that they should adjust the color to look nicer with Goku's outfit. That might also explain why Vegeta had a big change in outfit colors that are even very different from the Full Color Manga, they might have wanted to make the outfit colors fit with Blue nicer.

Somewhat related, but I think it's interesting that Shintani went with highlights on the hair instead of shading, it's pretty different from how he usually does hair. Guess he felt it fits better with the simple shading used here.

I see, that's interesting.

I really hope they do more "full color manga" colors.
Base Freeza is the most obvious one, and I would love to see more of it.

Edit:

PLZ give me full color Goten.

unknown.png

A black undershirt would help so much to make him stand out more.

Last edited:

yagan

Oct 29, 2017
shintani is a god! I really like his design of goku ssj blue, is new and old in the best possible way

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Super Saiyan 2 and 3 don't need to be sharp and super defined to look good. Anyway hoping for some news on wednesday night/thursday.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Super Saiyan 2 and 3 don't need to be sharp and super defined to look good. Anyway hoping for some news on wednesday night/thursday.
Man, I hope so. I have a bad feeling Toei will just say Super is returning this year in their financial statement and then we'll hear nothing till the end of May. God I hope that doesn't happen.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
I'm personally excited to see the new OP, but I'm gonna miss Limit break x Survivor