• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes people need a reminder that Tori DOES occasionally have bad ideas like backpedaling on certain characters that will only start pointless arguments if I name them but you know what I'm talkin bout
I'll do it GOHAN/Goten and trunks/Goten/did I mention Goten and trunks 🚶🏾‍♂️
good morning
chalk me up as someone who has found Merus almost entirely inoffensive since his introduction

except his haircut, yuck
merus is great

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
chalk me up as someone who has found Merus almost entirely inoffensive since his introduction

except his haircut, yuck

He isn't 'offensive'. He is a poorly written character. Offensive to me is something like what Toyo did to Kefla when she was about to lose to Gohan.

best content of all the youtubers.
🧐
whats wrong with him?

Geekdom always had an ego, which got badly bruised when Dragon Ball Super didn't return like he kept insisting. And unlike Ajay who took his L, Geekdom keeps finding excuses about why he was wrong.

Oct 25, 2017
He isn't 'offensive'. He is a poorly written character. Offensive to me is something like what Toyo did to Kefla when she was about to lose to Gohan.

Geekdom always had an ego, which got badly bruised when Dragon Ball Super didn't return like he kept insisting. And unlike Ajay who took his L, Geekdom keeps finding excuses about why he was wrong.
And don't forget his garbage takes regarding Vic

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
And don't forget his garbage takes regarding Vic

I don't think he gave a comment. Every time someone asked about the whole thing with Vic he said 'I won't be involved in English voice drama' or outright ignores the question. But maybe he said something on his other channel that I don't watch.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017

That's what I mean, I don't find him poorly written. Maybe I need to go back and re-read the arc but the only thing that annoyed me about him was how he was magically so strong until someone here theorized he might be an angel, and that seems to be the route they're going.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
That's what I mean, I don't find him poorly written. Maybe I need to go back and re-read the arc but the only thing that annoyed me about him was how he was magically so strong until someone here theorized he might be an angel, and that seems to be the route they're going.

He is poorly written for reasons that Coby explained better than me. So I would recommend you read their post, which shouldn't be too far back since this thread moves so slow now.

Meerus being magically strong isn't an issue since Whis is also magically strong, but he's a great, well-rounded character because there is more to him than just his power or even his knowledge. He is generally likable, a complete troll to almost everyone especially Beerus, does have a set a morals despite claiming to be neutral in all things, and have quirks like his love for good food. Meerus on the other hand has nothing going for him as a character other than his power and him being good at his job, and seems to exist to show why everyone else sucks compared to him.

The best way to describe it for me is that Meerus feels like he was written with a power set in mind and his job with little to no thought put into his character. While Whis feels like he was a character first, and then they added to his power set. For the lack of better words, Meerus is presented as special without anything else going for his character, which is a common pitfall in fanfic writing.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
He is poorly written for reasons that Coby explained better than me. So I would recommend you read their post, which shouldn't be too far back since this thread moves so slow now.

Meerus being magically strong isn't an issue since Whis is also magically strong, but he's a great, well-rounded character because there is more to him than just his power or even his knowledge. He is generally likable, a complete troll to almost everyone especially Beerus, does have a set a morals despite claiming to be neutral in all things, and have quirks like his love for good food. Meerus on the other hand has nothing going for him as a character other than his power and him being good at his job, and seems to exist to show why everyone else sucks compared to him.

The best way to describe it for me is that Meerus feels like he was written with a power set in mind and his job with little to no thought put into his character. While Whis feels like he was a character first, and then they added to his power set. For the lack of better words, Meerus is presented as special without anything else going for his character, which is a common pitfall in fanfic writing.
That's fair. He is a little flat. But I'm interested in seeing where they go with him.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
lol
zwloolab6g241.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/dbz/comments/e5jsd0/now_that_johnny_yong_bosch_is_playing_broly/

Sep 7, 2018
rANDOM THOUGHT OCURRED TO ME THIS EARLY IN THE MORNING: With seeing Dragopn Ball it's a bit disappointing to me to see Yajirobe as just a plain coward and a non-fighter in DBZ and Super. In the original he and Goku were equal in strength at one point, but for whatever reason Yajirobe was just left as gag or non character. I think in Z most of the time he was just chillin with Korin and I can't even remember if he was in Super at all outside of Trunk's timeline.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
"Merus exists to make others look bad" is a funny complaint to me considering before Goku sparred with him his biggest feats were knocking out base Goku and Vegeta and getting Moro in a net for 3 seconds. Until they started revealing the mystery behind him he was just presented as a really fast dude who was still nowhere near a match for Moro. The only thing wrong with him is his relatively bland personality. He's less fanfic than Jiren.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
At the very least, him getting the drop on base Goku/Vegeta isn't bad now.

However nothing about Merus aside from the angel mystery is compelling.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
rANDOM THOUGHT OCURRED TO ME THIS EARLY IN THE MORNING: With seeing Dragopn Ball it's a bit disappointing to me to see Yajirobe as just a plain coward and a non-fighter in DBZ and Super. In the original he and Goku were equal in strength at one point, but for whatever reason Yajirobe was just left as gag or non character. I think in Z most of the time he was just chillin with Korin and I can't even remember if he was in Super at all outside of Trunk's timeline.

Toriyama seemed to immediately regret Yajirobe's creation. By the 23rd Budokai he was already reduced to a joke that loses to Kami in the preliminaries of the Budokai while putting up less of a fight than Yamcha. That's probably why he never learned the generic flying technique in Z for example, Toriyama just wanted to sideline him as quickly as possible.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
"Merus exists to make others look bad" is a funny complaint to me considering before Goku sparred with him his biggest feats were knocking out base Goku and Vegeta and getting Moro in a net for 3 seconds. Until they started revealing the mystery behind him he was just presented as a really fast dude who was still nowhere near a match for Moro. The only thing wrong with him is his relatively bland personality. He's less fanfic than Jiren.

Knocking out Goku and Vegeta without trying with a sleep bullet was a big feat that almost everyone noticed and so was knocking down Moro when the Grand Supreme Kai failed to do it. Not sure why you're trying to act like people weren't noticing these things about Meerus. It also stands out more since Meerus has constantly showed to be more competent than Goku and Vegeta in this arc.

Honestly, you're one of the few people I've seen that downplayed Meerus as just fast since it was pretty obvious early that there was more going on than just speed. That and Jiren is less fanfiction because he was an antagonist and wasn't even the primary focused of the arc he was in until halfway through it.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
I mean Jiren is pretty similar to frieza in the fact that he was a seemingly unbeatable opponent until Goku unlocked a new form.

SlumberingGiant

alt account
Banned
Jul 2, 2019
He was in Super's normal timeline , he 'helped' with Roshi's training pre ToP

SlumberingGiant

alt account
Banned
Jul 2, 2019
Toriyama seemed to immediately regret Yajirobe's creation. By the 23rd Budokai he was already reduced to a joke that loses to Kami in the preliminaries of the Budokai while putting up less of a fight than Yamcha. That's probably why he never learned the generic flying technique in Z for example, Toriyama just wanted to sideline him as quickly as possible.
He played a major role in the Saiyan saga though. I think it's more the human characters in general becoming irrelevant once aliens were the new big thing.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
But even Yamcha got more screentime than him.

Was he always that strong even before Goku met him?
In their first meeting he even impressed him. He was the 7th strongest on Earth only below God, Popo, Daimao, Goku, Karin and Tenshinhan.

Edit: Well, 8th if you count Roshi's full power form but he couldn't fight on it at the time.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
They finally announced that Dragon Ball will have a huge presence at Jump Festa.

30 minute Dragon Ball Super Anime stage/panel with Nozawa and Horikawa. They will be looking back at the "powerful enemies of Dragon Ball Super" and then reenact some stuff that has not made it into the anime (Moro?).
Happening?

Last edited:

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I think we will get an announment for a return in March or April whenever they anime season is

Or actually I think we will get an announment for an announment for a seperate dragon ball event in like January

We will not get a trailer or anything like that for the next anime

If we are lucky we get an image or logo

There's also a chance it is nothing

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
They finally announced that Dragon Ball will have a huge presence at Jump Festa.

30 minute Dragon Ball Super Anime stage/panel with Nozawa and Horikawa. They will be looking back at the "powerful enemies of Dragon Ball Super" and then reenact some stuff that has not made it into the anime (Moro?).
Happening?

There is also a 30 minute general Dragon Ball anime panel the day before.

#It'sHappening

#LordYamchaIsComingBack

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I want a new subtitle series that is post end of z

I mean after broly the next time the earth dragon balls are active Pan will be 2
She is 4 at end of z

Running out of time

Oct 25, 2017

Happening?

Geekdom bois

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

Happening?

... Could it be?

Is it time?

giphy.gif

ONE YEAR OF WAITING HAS ALL LED TO THIS

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I watched geekdom dragon ball is coming back soon video

And he specifically said that it was very unlikely an announment be at jump festa

So if it does happen geekdom stay losing

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Speculating that it's a new movie announcement, hoping to the high heavens that Dragon Ball Ultra happens with Merus/Moro arc right off the bat. Expecting nothing and just gonna behappy for anything.