• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.

Dragon Ball Super |OT6| The waiting game

Nov 12, 2017
He was always goofy both as a child and in Z but I feel they made him a little too goofy in Super. It's almost to the point where he's like mentally handicapped, but I will admit this tone did bring some laughs when dealing with Beerus like Goku's interactions with Grand Zeno and seeing Beerus sweat the entire time.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Goku in Super never came off as mentally handicap to me. Then again, I actually went to school and know people who are mentally handicap along with emotionally disturbed. I mean, both of my grandparents had dementia.

Goku just came off as not given a fuck, especially since Goku showed several times that he's completely aware of the situation and purposely choses to act the way he does. But I have noticed that people often conflate stupidity, mental illness, and naivety as the same thing in anime. Like it's easier to say that Goku is an idiot or mentally ill instead of saying that Goku is an asshole.

On Heroes, this is honestly my favorite part:

That gives no fucks punch had me rolling. I can't helping thinking that Goku is going, 'Get your discount ass back to GT'.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the actual thing people take issue with Goku's Super characterization is how childish he can sometimes comes across.

Toriyama's Goku is dumb, goofy, thoughtless, fight obsessed, and crazy reckless, but he's never felt particularly childish to me. Uh, as an adult anyway. Kid Goku is obviously childish.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I think the actual thing people take issue with Goku's Super characterization is how childish he can sometimes comes across.

Toriyama's Goku is dumb, goofy, thoughtless, fight obsessed, and crazy reckless, but he's never felt particularly childish to me. Uh, as an adult anyway. Kid Goku is obviously childish.
Toriyama's Goku wasn't on scene much since by Z, he was a plot device. We barely saw how Goku acted in normal life where the world wasn't at stake every five minutes. By the time he did fight, things already went to hell and his friends were either dead or dying. And even Toriyama's Goku had childish moments, like in the Resurrection 'F' movie where he treated fighting Frieza like a game and got into a fight with Vegeta about who got to fight him.

Sep 7, 2018
I watched episode 100 a few days ago and I really want to finish this series. When's the rest coming out so I can see Goku fight this Jiren? They left me hanging!

Oct 29, 2017
DB Heroes episode 9 doesn’t stop from being so funny. From Jiren doing Jiren things and then Goku knocking the parasite outta Vegeta

Oct 25, 2017
ToP Goku is my favorite Goku. I have problems with U6 arc and FT arc Goku.

BoG and RoF Goku are fine, not offensive, not spectacular.

BizzyBum

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Did anyone else laugh at the absurdity of 18 being confused/upset that 17 didn't wish for a boat over saving the trillions of lives in 7 entire universes?

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
One thing I will give credit to the Heroes anime on is that they got Ultra Instinct Omen Goku's hair right. Heroes for some reason kept given Omen base Goku's hair and just turning his eyes silver, ignoring the subtile different like Goku's hair being slightly uprise and the silver highlights. Could be because the same art director who worked on Super is doing the promo anime.

Oct 25, 2017
why does everyone try to make animated stuff live action? it's not like being live action makes things better necessarily

Nov 7, 2017
You can't do anime hair in real life. It would look incredibly lame. Goku's hair is too iconic. Combining that on a real super muscled guy would look too ridiculous that people wouldn't take it seriously, even beyond the normal DB comedy.

I can't wait to see Broly! I've been kind of "half-glancing" at this thread. I'm afraid to be spoiled on it, but at the same time, I want to cram as much info on it as I can into my eye sockets!

I finished the Super anime, and enjoyed it a lot. I'll probably re-watch it again, since I got the first season free on Xbox and purchased seasons 2-3 soon after. I would've preferred the dub version, but I guess the Sub version isn't so bad.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, the Heroes anime made the Jiren stuff much worse than the game version than I though, so in the game Jiren goes shirtless Super Full Power like in the ToP and fights SSJ3 Cumber, Hearts and Zamasu all at the same time and they don't manage to beat him.