• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Toei announced a remake of Dragon Quest The Adventure of Dai, and more World Trigger. Putting off Dragon Ball again.
World Trigger and Dragon Quest Dai got announced, so there is unlikely to be an opening for DB for the next 4 years.
Damn wtf? Why they putting it on the back burner after the burst in popularity again? Not even a movie hint?
Nothing at all, not even an update on what Toriyama teased last year.
It really is baffling, DB is the biggest its ever been right now, it's Toei and Bandai's #1 money maker by a pretty large amount and the cast is all getting really old and yet they are just going to let it waste away.
this is indeed the darkest timeline

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all hear something 🚶🏾‍♂️

NaturalDifficultBetafish-size_restricted.gif

👀👀👀

Oct 27, 2017
NGL, this episode is pretty good.

I was tense at this whole bit as a kid, I was hyped until Goku showed up and legit oneshotted both of them in base

Lost all the stakes for me right there

Uub getting megashafted hurt my feelings too I was really hyped for him to do something cool

*sigh*

GT hurt my feelings so many times by presenting an awesome idea and just running it into the ground by the end

Except 17s return that was hot trash from the start imo

FPS_Fan

Banned
Dec 19, 2019
Hell
I am a big Dragon Ball fan.
I liked DBS a lot, Whis and Beerus are the best new characters ever.

I hope DBS continues someday.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Why would this mean no Super for the next 4 years?
Dragon Quest Dai is likely to be in the time slot before One Piece, it's starting fall 2020 and based on the number of chapters the manga has it'll probably run for 150-175ish episodes. The absolute earliest that show will end is probably June 2023.
At least we'll probably get a new movie in 2021.

SeriousGoku

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 20, 2019
So ... Nothing. Again.

Toei doesn't deserve Dragonball. They're fucking stupid.

Another hiatus after the series ended abrupt as fuck, no updates, nothing. Embarrassing management.
Give DragonBall to Marvel, they'd handle it right.

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
So I read some speculation that since Kitaro is gonna end in March and neither of these new toei shows will be taking it's place on Fuji TV, then something else has to come up...

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
So I read some speculation that since Kitaro is gonna end in March and neither of these new toei shows will be taking it's place on Fuji TV, then something else has to come up...
Dai is almost definitely Fuji TV, the original series was, it's just that something else will air in that slot for 3 months until Dai is ready. Dragon Ball certainly isn't happening while Toei has 4 long running shows going at the same time.

EDIT: My bad, the original Dai wasn't Fuji TV, but I still think this will be.

So ... Nothing. Again.

Toei doesn't deserve Dragonball. They're fucking stupid.

Another hiatus after the series ended abrupt as fuck, no updates, nothing. Embarrassing management.
Give DragonBall to Marvel, they'd handle it right.
Marvel isn't an anime studio. Toei doesn't have final say, Shueisha are the ones who control the franchise and multiple parties have to come to agreements for a show to get made. It'll come back eventually, even if it ends up being based on the manga (By the time Dai ends the DBS manga, assuming it keeps going, will have at least 4 and a half years of chapters built up, if not more). There is also the matter of Toriyama, it could just be that he feels like focusing on movies for right now while letting Toyo handle long form arcs. Toei is also not just a Dragon Ball studio and they only have so much staff. It really sucks to wait and it is kinda baffling, but it's better than a rushed product at least. Dragon Ball is doing well enough that they can afford to wait a few more years before making a show, even if it's frustrating for the fans. The biggest issue is honestly the cast's age, the longer we wait the less time we have with them, but I guess they don't see that as too much of an issue and will just continue to recast as cast members pass away. Nozawa will be only a few years away from 90 by the time Dai ends...
Nozawa won't be available forever, they should hurry up. Maybe they decided to focus on movies instead? But no announcement yet...
While they haven't full on announced a new movie, they did confirm one about 6 months ago. They won't be announcing that until at least 12 months before release. With Toriyama's comment last year I hope that this means they are just taking their time to write the script so it's fleshed out and maybe we'll get it summer 2021.

Last edited:

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I'd like to tell myself that the hiatus is because they want to ensure quality but I'm too cynical to actually believe that so....I don't know what's going on.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to tell myself that the hiatus is because they want to ensure quality but I'm too cynical to actually believe that so....I don't know what's going on.
I don't think it's so much that they just want to ensure quality (They could do that without waiting so many years), but that they are giving Toriyama time to write whatever he's currently working on (next movie?), letting the manga stretch its legs and build up chapters and taking the chance to do some other stuff like Dragon Quest Dai which will be a multimedia project. I think Shueisha and Toei have big plans for the future of DB, but sadly it seems we're going to be waiting much longer than we thought to see those plans start to come together.
While it seems really baffling to us on the outside I don't think Shueisha and Toei are just throwing DB in the dirt or anything, but a little more transparency would be nice. At least we know that Toriyama is currently working on something and that a new movie is in the works (these are likely one and the same). If what Iyoku said about the next movie is to be believed it won't be 60% action like Broly was so Toriyama seemingly taking more time to work on it can only be a good thing.
On the plus side Dai can also serve as a testing ground for things that could improve Dragon Ball, like different post processing techniques and such.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Dai is almost definitely Fuji TV, the original series was, it's just that something else will air in that slot for 3 months until Dai is ready. Dragon Ball certainly isn't happening while Toei has 4 long running shows going at the same time.

EDIT: My bad, the original Dai wasn't Fuji TV, but I still think this will be.

Marvel isn't an anime studio. Toei doesn't have final say, Shueisha are the ones who control the franchise and multiple parties have to come to agreements for a show to get made. It'll come back eventually, even if it ends up being based on the manga (By the time Dai ends the DBS manga, assuming it keeps going, will have at least 4 and a half years of chapters built up, if not more). There is also the matter of Toriyama, it could just be that he feels like focusing on movies for right now while letting Toyo handle long form arcs. Toei is also not just a Dragon Ball studio and they only have so much staff. It really sucks to wait and it is kinda baffling, but it's better than a rushed product at least. Dragon Ball is doing well enough that they can afford to wait a few more years before making a show, even if it's frustrating for the fans. The biggest issue is honestly the cast's age, the longer we wait the less time we have with them, but I guess they don't see that as too much of an issue and will just continue to recast as cast members pass away. Nozawa will be only a few years away from 90 by the time Dai ends...

While they haven't full on announced a new movie, they did confirm one about 6 months ago. They won't be announcing that until at least 12 months before release. With Toriyama's comment last year I hope that this means they are just taking their time to write the script so it's fleshed out and maybe we'll get it summer 2021.

Why you think Dragon Quest will be on Fuji TV when the original wasn't?

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Apropos of nothing:
This was never canon, but I always used to like differentiating how various similar techniques worked. DB used to do that to an extent, Dodonpa and Kamehameha being the same, except the DDP was better at killing, for example.

In that regard, I once no-prized what I considered to be an interesting reason Gohan would stop using the Masenko as he got older and start relying on the Kamehameha more. The notion being that at baseline, they're the same move. However, Masenko doesn't have modularity like KMHMH, you can't do one that's 10 times as powerful. But, due to its demonic nature, it could increase in power with the user's negative emotions. Particularly rage. Meaning, in Gohan's hands when he was young, it would be a much more effective move than the Kamehameha. Then, as he got older and mellowed out, it became less and less useful until it was just a baseline Kamehameha most of the time, so he started using the more modular technique.

I had a similar notion with Galick Gun, where it's just a Kamehameha with no modularity, which is why Vegeta kept coming up with bigger and better Ki Blast techniques and Goku could just stick with the Kamehameha.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finally read the chapter. Lol, while he is ultimately is I suppose, the idea that Whis himself has always been impartial is BS given past events

Not sure how I feel about Vegeta's training either

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
I have a question about Tien's Tri Beam. I'm confused about the details behind it.

So the technique is particularly dangerous to the user because it drains his "life force". Is this suggesting that the "life force" it is fueled by is a different than just normal ki?

But then ki is said to be life force, and any ki attack drains ki. If you use anything enough, the user can die. So why the particular focus on Tri Beam being so dangerous exactly? Is it saying it uses SO much ki that it's dangerous to the user? When Tien used it against cell, he used it a bunch of times. But if you used a high powered kamehameha a bunch of times, it should be the exact same risk, no? I'm basically just confused on why Tri Beam particuarly has the dangerous element to it.

Or is "life force" in Tri Beam's context actually referring to something different than regular ki reserves? Idk.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a question about Tien's Tri Beam. I'm confused about the details behind it.

So the technique is particularly dangerous to the user because it drains his "life force". Is this suggesting that the "life force" it is fueled by is a different than just normal ki?

But then ki is said to be life force, and any ki attack drains ki. If you use anything enough, the user can die. So why the particular focus on Tri Beam being so dangerous exactly? Is it saying it uses SO much ki that it's dangerous to the user? When Tien used it against cell, he used it a bunch of times. But if you used a high powered kamehameha a bunch of times, it should be the exact same risk, no? I'm basically just confused on why Tri Beam particuarly has the dangerous element to it.

Or is "life force" in Tri Beam's context actually referring to something different than regular ki reserves? Idk.

Honestly, the killing the user is just a relic of old power levels. Like how the kaioken will kill you.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the killing the user is just a relic of old power levels. Like how the kaioken will kill you.
Super really has toned that down, hasn't it?

We got a brief moment of seeing Kaioken hurt Goku and then never again. Mafuba is harmless, Vegeta can now walk away from the explosion attack, Goku gets a powerup from eating a spirit bomb, Goku can't stay worn out for more than five seconds during the ToP...

Well, I guess Frieza is still trash at keeping up his tacky golden form at least.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017

They don't really ever go into the mechanics of what anyone is doing in DB, but the way I always saw it was that the Kikoho draws upon way more power from the entire body than other attacks which is why it's able to "punch above" its weight class. Like, drawing from the pool of ki that sustains their own lifespan. I dunno if that makes any sense.

Oct 25, 2017
Super really has toned that down, hasn't it?

We got a brief moment of seeing Kaioken hurt Goku and then never again. Mafuba is harmless, Vegeta can now walk away from the explosion attack, Goku gets a powerup from eating a spirit bomb, Goku can't stay worn out for more than five seconds during the ToP...

Well, I guess Frieza is still trash at keeping up his tacky golden form at least.
Freeza lost his golden form weakness as well right when he met up with Goku before the TOP.

Oct 25, 2017
He said he did, but then he screwed up and needed Gohan to save his ass.

If anything, he was worse with it vs Dyspo than vs Goku thanks to the ToP's timescale.
Your Freeza bias is showing again. He had trouble keeping the death beam cage up and running not the form itself. He hasn't had a problem with the form since the ROF movie and that was only because he wasn't used to it then.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
The Kaioken stopped taking a toll on Goku's body when he landed on Namek, so it makes sense that he could get SSB Kaioken to a point where it wasn't straining his body.

The Kikoho from what I understood was just using a dangerous amount of Ki, way more than a Kamehameha or other energy attack would, to the point where it was killing Tien. With how it was pushing Cell back, maybe you could argue the power behind a Kikoho goes even further beyond than the person using the attack, since Tien shouldn't be anywhere near Semi Perfect cell in terms of power.