• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
3a7Enav.png

This thread is primarily for the Japanese version of Dragon Ball Super and its worldwide simulcast, if you are watching the show with a dub you will run into spoilers for episodes you have not yet seen. If you want to discuss the English dub as it airs check out the Toonami thread.
There will also be unmarked Dragon Ball Super Broly spoilers. You have been warned.

IUbya0g.png

xk8AEJ5.png

• No scans.
  • No linking to sites where you can illegally watch the show.
  • Stay on topic
  • No spamming or shitposting
  • Be civil

RxpTObZ.png

Dragon Ball Super is a follow up to Dragon Ball Z, though all of the stories so far have taken place before the final episodes of Z. The primary story arcs of the show are based on outlines written by Dragon Ball creator Akira Toriyama and then expanded and modified in a group effort between Toei and Akira Toriyama.
The series continues the adventures of Goku and his friends as they meet new and returning characters as well as fight new, powerful foes. The Dragon Ball world has been expanded with new realms of power and the revelation that our heroes reside in one of 12 universes, each with their own people, warriors and gods.
Dragon Ball Super began airing on July 5th, 2015 and ended its initial run on March 25th, 2018.
A second season is expected to start some time in 2019 or early 2020.

5swAv7i.png

Dragon Ball Super, in its initial run, completed 5 arcs from Akira Toriyama, 2 of which were adaptations of the films Battle of Gods and Resurrection F.
l3Muojd.png
JetsOW1.png

KurQQZ6.png
VTV4NCm.png

7bCLZww.png

LtK7j98.png

9 months after the show went off the air the very first Dragon Ball Super movie was released in Japanese theaters. Dragon Ball Super Broly.

Staff
  • Original Author, Script, & Character Design: Akira Toriyama
  • Director: Tatsuya Nagamine
  • Animation Supervisor: Naohiro Shintani
  • Art Director: Kazuo Ogura
In a massive shake up for the franchise that we haven't seen for nearly two decades, the lead animation supervisor and animation character designer is not series veteran Tadayoshi Yamamuro, but instead the young and talented Naohiro Shintani. Shintani is responsible for the new look of the characters and the style was created in conjunction with Akira Toriyama, starting February 2017.

The movie takes place shortly after the Tournament of Power and introduces Toriyama's own canon version of the infamous Dragon Ball Z movie character Broly. Broly has been heavily rewritten and is very much his own character separate from the original. The movie also features characters such as Freeza, Bardock and King Vegeta as well has a small handful of new characters.

The movie hit theaters in Japan on December 14th, 2018, and early 2019 for the rest of the world and was met with high praise from fans and critics alike. The animation is considered by many to be the best in the Dragon Ball Franchise. Dragon Ball Super Broly sits at 83% on Rotten Tomatoes and grossed over 100 million dollars worldwide, making it not only the highest grossing Dragon Ball film, but the highest grossing Toei Animation film of all time.

The home release in the US releases April 16th, 2019. Other countries should receive their own home releases not long after.

O5IfB88.png

Depending on your region you should be able to watch episodes officially subbed on Crunchyroll, DBS-Cardgame, AnimeLab and Funimation.
Various dubs around the world are also airing! Funimation's English dub airs Saturday nights on Adult Swim.

zKNT51n.png

Dragon Ball Super also has a manga, but unlike with Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z the anime is not based on the it. The manga is created by an artist who goes by the name Toyotaro and is based on the same outlines as the anime, but does many things differently. Following the Tournament of Power the manga started a new original arc that takes place after the events of Dragon Ball Super Broly, The Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc. In this arc the Goku and Vegeta face off against an ancient goat-like wizard who feeds off of the life force of planets and living beings.
New chapters of the manga can be read totally free, in English on Viz's site.

VjJaTXz.png

Q. So when is Super coming back?
A. Some time before the heat death of the universe.

Q. Why does the movie look so different?
A. As mentioned in the "Movie" section, the movie has a new animation character designer and this new style was created in conjunction with Akira Toriyama to look closer to his original manga, to be more animation friendly, and to accentuate the action.

Q. Is the Galactic Patrol Prisoner arc Toriyama's next main story or canon?
A. The answer to this is currently unknown. While we do know Toriyama is involved, from what has been said and from Toriyama not making any statements on the arc as of yet it has been assumed by most that it is a Toyotaro original arc, though no official confirmation has been made yet. Whether it will be considered "canon" or be adapted in the anime is a complete unknown at the current time as well.

Q. If the first two arcs are just retellings of two movies should I watch them or the show?
A. It really comes down to what you want to do, some people even prefer the Super retellings of the arcs. The fastest way to get caught up on the series is to start by watching the films Battle of Gods and Resurrection F and then pick up Super on episode 28, but the best way to get into the show in a shorter amount of time than watching 27 episodes is to watch the first two episodes of Super, the Battle of Gods film, episode 15 and then either Ajay's Resurrection F Super Cut (a fan recut of the the film that includes a lot of Super footage, but I can't link you to it) or watch episodes 16, 17 and 18 followed by the Resurrection F film and pick up Super at episode 28. At the end of the Universe Survival arc there is a fairly large reference to the Battle of Gods arc of Super, however understanding that reference isn't the most important thing to enjoy that scene.

Welcome to the new OT! Now we just have to wait a bit longer for new episodes!
SG7DieP.gif

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, I've seen bits and pieces of Super, but I want to catch up on the entire thing since it's set to continue too. The last time I "actively" watched Dragon Ball was with GT. Watched all past anime, read all official manga, watched all OAVs up until the 90's. I know some of the stuff in Super is a bit of a retelling of what's in the newer movies (and vice versa), and I'm aware GT was retconned out of existence, but what is the ideal order of watching stuff? Order of release? Is there major "out of bounds" retcons they've done between anime and movies? And lastly, I hear the manga is not very good, but is it worth checking out to find out extra stuff or it's filler that has no effect on the anime (non-canon)? Thanks in advance to anyone who may bother.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
So, I've seen bits and pieces of Super, but I want to catch up on the entire thing since it's set to continue too. The last time I "actively" watched Dragon Ball was with GT. Watched all past anime, read all official manga, watched all OAVs up until the 90's. I know some of the stuff in Super is a bit of a retelling of what's in the newer movies (and vice versa), and I'm aware GT was retconned out of existence, but what is the ideal order of watching stuff? Order of release? Is there major "out of bounds" retcons they've done between anime and movies? And lastly, I hear the manga is not very good, but is it worth checking out to find out extra stuff or it's filler that has no effect on the anime (non-canon)? Thanks in advance to anyone who may bother.
Do you mean the ideal order for Super specifically or DB in general?

As for the manga, your mileage may vary. It doesn't have a direct effect on the anime, though some ideas get repurposed into the anime, but not in a way that requires you to read the manga. The anime and manga are both "canon", they are just different continuities.
Right now its doing an original arc and so far it's been pretty enjoyable.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you mean the ideal order for Super specifically or DB in general?

Super, I've watched/read everything up until GT multiple times. I've read the FAQ, but I still have doubts about what would be the most ideal way to enjoy it. I don't mind movies being retold in the anime, but at the same time I wonder if there are differences, retcons, how it all connects to the manga, etc. etc..

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Super, I've watched/read everything up until GT multiple times. I've read the FAQ, but I still have doubts about what would be the most ideal way to enjoy it. I don't mind movies being retold in the anime, but at the same time I wonder if there are differences, retcons, how it all connects to the manga, etc. etc..
You don't need to worry about the manga, though I edited my reply to you to give some details.
The first two arcs of Super have some of the lowest quality animation in the series, particularly the F arc. If you don't mind that then go for it, other wise I say go for the longer version of watching the movies, where you watch the episodes before BoG and between it and F. None of the changes made in the retellings actually affect the story in any huge way. There is one change with Gohan in F that is followed up pretty quickly, but even with out it the follow up is perfectly understandable from just watching the movie.
The Champa arc, the first arc after F, is when the animation quality starts its slow and steady path upwards ultimately ending in the ToP having some of DB's best looking episodes.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
looking back, the creation of the ssj3 design made no sense at all given what we know about toriyama. the whole point of ssj was to make the manga easier to draw. today, that legacy continues with the new forms being ssj/base form recolors... which are easy to draw, and easy to repaint and sell as multiple different toys. like these transformations exist solely to make things easier and cheaper in every way possible.

i-img1161x902-1545357601nkdyxw575359.jpg

f96ca3e38b468d8dee3dcmzjl9.jpg

ssj3 is completely contrary to this philosophy, as well as ssj4. i'm shocked toriyama at one point thought "this form needs to look crazy. i'm gonna draw a shitload of hair for this."

we ain't never getting that again.
Nah fam gimmie me something crazy and insane.
My name is Goku and I'm from Earth
That's my line dawg.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't need to worry about the manga, though I edited my reply to you to give some details.
The first two arcs of Super have some of the lowest quality animation in the series, particularly the F arc. If you don't mind that then go for it, other wise I say go for the longer version of watching the movies, where you watch the episodes before BoG and between it and F. None of the changes made in the retellings actually affect the story in any huge way. There is one change with Gohan in F that is followed up pretty quickly, but even with out it the follow up is perfectly understandable from just watching the movie.
The Champa arc, the first arc after F, is when the animation quality starts its slow and steady path upwards ultimately ending in the ToP having some of DB's best looking episodes.

Thanks! I'll probably watch it all eventually, was wondering about the order mainly. As for the manga, best just ignore it for now considering it contains stuff that likely won't be canon?

Deleted member 8001

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Keep in mind that Toriyama also likes to be different for the sake of that difference. Maybe he thought it was fine as a spectacle for the final arc of the series?

Super Saiyan 3 Goku is certainly great.

Deleted member 8001

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks! I'll probably watch it all eventually, was wondering about the order mainly. As for the manga, best just ignore it for now considering it contains stuff that likely won't be canon?
Canon is a tricky thing. Toriyama seems to enjoy the manga's approach more and has issues with the anime at times. However the one being marketed front and center by Toei is the anime itself.

I'd say both are canon but just different takes on what Toriyama's outline he gives.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canon is a tricky thing. Toriyama seems to enjoy the manga's approach more and has issues with the anime at times. However the one being marketed front and center by Toei is the anime itself.

I'd say both are canon but just different takes on what Toriyama's outline he gives.

That is a bizarre approach for sure.

Ignore it until you have seen all the new stuff then read it as a curiosity.

I guess I'll do that then, I usually wait until one medium is done with the property before moving to the other (eg. I read the Hunter X Hunter manga after seeing the anime, or The Walking Dead where I'm invested in the TV show so I'm skipping the graphic novels for now). Helps avoiding spoilers and avoids confusion on which element was in which adaptation.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

All he said was that he doesn't feel the need to correct Toyotaro's storyboards much and he complained about the anime back when the animation quality was really low, that doesn't mean that he necessarily likes the manga more.

But yes, both are "canon", just different continuities.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Tien was way cooler than Krillin in ToP, that's for sure. Sure, he solo'd someone and had 2 team takedowns but his funky foot odor did all the work and then Krillin out of all people loses focus in a giant battle royale. lol

Everyone loves the UI reveal and the last few episodes but my underrated favorite moment was the Universe 6 Namekians vs. Gohan/Piccolo. It was a pretty short and generally unspectacular fight in the flashy department but man that reveal they fused with their entire planet and then that super bad ass scene with Piccolo's vision of Nail / Kami was chilling. Had me all

Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_11.02.15_AM.png

Auron.90

Dec 3, 2017
Finally I can start to follow this thread again, since the movie came out yesterday in Italy. I found it very good, but the collage of different type of animation made me perplexed.

Yebele

Nov 2, 2017
i miss the days when you guys would burn through an ot in less than 3 weeks. that was before i even had an account here

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
The best part is how sloppily Tien's elimination was written. The guy Tien was fighting was at the very edge of the ring when he destroyed it, but somehow, in defiance of all logic, Tien fell down but he didn't.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I'm just mad that scene didn't have all the Tien copies disappearing mid-fall, only for the camera to slowly pan upwards to the real Tien, still on the arena.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
All he said was that he doesn't feel the need to correct Toyotaro's storyboards much and he complained about the anime back when the animation quality was really low, that doesn't mean that he necessarily likes the manga more.

But yes, both are "canon", just different continuities.
The manga is just part of Dragon Ball Hypertime, like GT and all of the Trunks timelines.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Okay, can some clarify Zamasu for me? I haven't seen the Future Trunks arc in awhile so the details are kinda hazy.

Each universe has their own unique Kai, so Zamasu is from universe 10 only, but then there's also a universe 10 Zamasu in Future Trunk's timeline, too. So basically Future Trunk's universe 10 Zamasu wishes to be Goku using the super dragon balls, kills him and his family, then somehow travels to the main timeline to kill Gowasu and that Zamasu wishes for immortality from the super dragon balls, or is it reversed? How does any of this happen when Beerus kills the main timeline's Zamasu before he kills Gowasu?

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
actually its the other way around, Present timeline Zamasu wishes to be Goku and uses a time ring to go into Future Trunk's timeline

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
actually its the other way around, Present timeline Zamasu wishes to be Goku and uses a time ring to go into Future Trunk's timeline

Ah okay, but how does he wish to be Goku when Beerus kills him? I don't remember, did he use the time ring to go further in the past so he did this before they took notice of him?

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, can some clarify Zamasu for me? I haven't seen the Future Trunks arc in awhile so the details are kinda hazy.

Each universe has their own unique Kai, so Zamasu is from universe 10 only, but then there's also a universe 10 Zamasu in Future Trunk's timeline, too. So basically Future Trunk's universe 10 Zamasu wishes to be Goku using the super dragon balls, kills him and his family, then somehow travels to the main timeline to kill Gowasu and that Zamasu wishes for immortality from the super dragon balls, or is it reversed? How does any of this happen when Beerus kills the main timeline's Zamasu before he kills Gowasu?

r6WBprr.png

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I'm still confused. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I get everything except present timeline Zamasu becoming Black. What does Beerus killing him breaking the time loop even mean? If I go by that chart, Beerus killing Zamasu enters the present timeline into the Future Trunks timeline instead, so the "old" present timeline is unaffected in a world where Future Trunks never shows up? That Zamasu always arrives in Future Trunks' timeline because he's a version that was split when Beerus killed him and because of the Time Ring is unaffected by Beerus killing him in the Future Trunks' split timeline?

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still confused. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I get everything except present timeline Zamasu becoming Black. What does Beerus killing him breaking the time loop even mean? If I go by that chart, Beerus killing Zamasu enters the present timeline into the Future Trunks timeline instead, so the "old" present timeline is unaffected in a world where Future Trunks never shows up? That Zamasu always arrives in Future Trunks' timeline because he's a version that was split when Beerus killed him and because of the Time Ring is unaffected by Beerus killing him in the Future Trunks' split timeline?
Let me try and explain, there are basically 3 timelines.

Timeline A= this is the one where Zamasu kills Gowasu, steals Goku's body and kills his family. Goku black uses the time ring to go to Trunks timeline (C).

Timeline B= this is the main present timeline, where Beerus kills Zamasu and preventing the event of timeline A. By killing Zamasu here, Beerus thought Zamasu would also be erased in timeline C (he was wrong)

Timeline C= Future Trunks timeline where Goku Black (from timeline A) works with Zamasu from this timeline(C)