• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
this is better writing than in all of Dragon Ball Super.
Nah. Like, where's the plot, aside from a new super strong villain just appearing early on and beating down Goku and Vegeta. It's straight up just a brawl.

And what world building? Moro facing a Kai in the past is pretty insignificant in terms of world building. The rest of Super further defined the universe of DB, through a pantheon of Gods and the varying universes and hierarchies. Toyo has just introduced a strong guy who fought a Kai in the past and was imprisoned.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Toyotarō just gets Dragon Ball Z. You can mock Roshi's use of Ultra Instinct, or Goku's attempt at using Haikai, but I support it all. Zamasu actually using Kai techniques like object materialisation and teleportation, Vegeta creating another goofy attack - it all comes across as someone who really understands the world and characters.

This Moro character is great too. Actually finding a new kind of threat, multiple new attacks that aren't just beams, bizzarely solid world building - this is better writing than in all of Dragon Ball Super.

Disagree with nearly everything you've said.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. Like, where's the plot, aside from a new super strong villain just appearing early on and beating down Goku and Vegeta. It's straight up just a brawl.

And what world building? Moro facing a Kai in the past is pretty insignificant in terms of world building. The rest of Super further defined the universe of DB, through a pantheon of Gods and the varying universes and hierarchies. Toyo has just introduced a strong guy who fought a Kai in the past and was imprisoned.

When it comes to world building I'm mainly talking about the Galactic Patrol as an organization. Even the Namekian's way of strengthening warriors (suggested in the ToP arc, but shown in a really great visual way in the manga arc).

When I say writing in general I think Moro is a compelling threat. It's an interesting challenge to pose to the characters, instead of one where more power is the obvious solution. It also helps that the character is attacking with energy in a novel way.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
I'm highly confused on details of the recent leak/rumor(?). So Shintani is coming back as art director, and the anime will follow the manga "visuals"? Not sure I can parse this one.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
I'm highly confused on details of the recent leak/rumor(?). So Shintani is coming back as art director, and the anime will follow the manga "visuals"? Not sure I can parse this one.
i'm assuming that they want to make it as faithful to the original toriyama manga's artstyle as possible

Geldboom

Oct 28, 2017

Shintani already looks super close to the manga... so it following the manga's style makes sense.

dc82472ce014990067c3116f5bd6be3d.jpg

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Are those shintani's drawings in the middle? Shintani I always thought gave of more of an essence of early Z toriyama than later Z toriyama.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Toyotarō just gets Dragon Ball Z. You can mock Roshi's use of Ultra Instinct, or Goku's attempt at using Haikai, but I support it all. Zamasu actually using Kai techniques like object materialisation and teleportation, Vegeta creating another goofy attack - it all comes across as someone who really understands the world and characters.

This Moro character is great too. Actually finding a new kind of threat, multiple new attacks that aren't just beams, bizzarely solid world building - this is better writing than in all of Dragon Ball Super.
is this parody? What world building?

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Shintani's style is already heavily based on Toriyama's manga, from Namek all the way to Buu. So yes, they are continuing the style of the movie.

Last edited:

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
The Broly movie's art style just screams dragon ball, and it was the best animated stuff we've seen since the early Z movies

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
😏
I wouldn't say Shintani's style is heavily based on Toriyama's late DBZ work, it's got a bit more early Z and DB in it.

And I like it.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
To be honest I dont care much for Shintani's flair in Goku's face. He scrunches it weird, or it's something with the nose or something.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Super returning in July is hype.

Hope Caulifla shows up sooner than later.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
the U6 saiyans need their own arc ASAP damnit

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
It wouldn't make sense to focus solely on the U6 Saiyans while you have the other more powerful characters out there. It would be more like a gaiden or something like that. A U6 Salada arc where Goku and Vegeta visit and help out could work, but if it was just the U6 Saiyans it might start to be like filler. Maybe start out with a focus on the U6 Saiyans and then bring in Goku and Veg. Or have G/V pursuing some other story simultaneously that eventually links up with the U6 Saiyan's plot. Then, the climax of the arc leads into the next arc.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
It doesn't really make sense to me to imply that the DB writers don't care about or aren't interested in the U6 Saiyans, when they've been featured characters so far in their appearances.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
Remember after the Champa arc ended, everyone said over and over that they would definitely go to Sadala next arc?

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
Remember after the Champa arc ended, everyone said over and over that they would definitely go to Sadala next arc?
No, I don't remember anyone besides Vegeta saying that he would want to see Salada. I think he only said that like once in the Champa arc and maybe in the ToP.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, the saiyans got very little focus in the U6 arc. The main focus was Hit, and I'd argue Frost was pushed more than Cabba in that arc.

The ToP really did a lot to establish the U6 saiyans, and the focus they got in that arc compared to Cabba's focus in the U6 arc is night and day.

A few of the writers have said that they love the U6 saiyans as well. Toshio being one of them. Obviously it still comes down to the Dragon Room/ Toriyama to include them in the arc for the writers to give them any focus, but the ToP had a lot of U6 saiyan love, so I can't see why they wouldn't get focus in the future unless Toriyama just straight up doesn't have them in any of his outlines. But there'd still be SoL, at the very least, which would surely have them. Not to mention Toei won't ignore a Kale and Broly meet episode.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
The u6 Saiyans got more love than anyone outside of u7 and Jiren

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Caulifla and Kale are pretty popular, it wouldn't surprise me if The Dragon Ball Room suggests an arc involving them to Toriyama, if he doesn't come up with one himself.

Dec 28, 2018
I hope we get a Salada arc in Super 2.0 that has Caulifla and Kale playing a big part. Would be a damn shame if they never come back cause they were easily the two best characters introduced in the TOP Arc.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know where anyone would get the idea that the anime staff doesn't care about the U6 saiyans when they were used so prominently during the TOP

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I mean, he is a terrible antagonist.

You gotta put a lot of caviates to make that guy not the actual worst at his literary place.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
He's an utterly undefinable character, besides his poorly told backstory

Who entirely relies on "he fight cool."

He's fucking Broly

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
short description:

socially awkward recluse whose past trauma led him to have a philosophy that only strength truly matters, and only strength can keep you from suffering. there he's deeper than 90% of DB characters let alone antagonists.

Dec 28, 2018
Jiren is just a boring as all hell super buff grey alien. If he was more justice oriented and justice dabbing like he was originally supposed to be I think I might have liked him better.