• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Cell was already bald
Wrong
kxup5t2of7j01.jpg

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
I guess the closest would be the first super Saiyan transformation.

But now it's established that no death is permanent in dragon ball, so yeah. We got dragon balls wishing back entire universes like it's no big deal.

It would be cool if they could find a way to make death matter again. Or at least if the characters sold it a bit more. I see characters dying in infinity war and it's pretty heartbreaking, even if you know their deaths aren't permanent, and a lot of that had to do with the acting and the reactions of the characters who live.

With dragon ball it's like "hehe it's ok we can wish them back with the dragon balls!!!! Mcdonaldseyesgoku.jpg"

The last time death felt like it mattered was when Vegeta died against Buu and they thought Gohan was killed as well. That was also the last time DBZ felt like it was about to embrace the next generation.

Oct 25, 2017

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
hmm the Sean vs Chris rematch is taking place right around the time that ArchedThunder was speculating we'd get an announcement for Super's return, coincidence?

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
Gohan's Fighting style doesn't really seem like he'd do that. He's more of a measured strike guy.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Gohan's Fighting style doesn't really seem like he'd do that. He's more of a measured strike guy.
That was something only introduced during Super's ToP arc. Beforehand in spite of being known as an intellectual he was always pure brute force during battle.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
That was something only introduced during Super's ToP arc. Beforehand in spite of being known as an intellectual he was always pure brute force during battle.

Maybe you're talking about something different but wasn't this also in Resurrection F? I remember Frieza commenting on how Gohan was deliberately fighting his army non-lethally.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Gohan measured in the ToP? The guy who stomped a guys arm off and space jam slam dunked a dude? He was chill for the Dyspo fight though.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe you're talking about something different but wasn't this also in Resurrection F? I remember Frieza commenting on how Gohan was deliberately fighting his army non-lethally.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that bit. But I'm mainly thinking about how he usually fights in actual battles on his level. Before Super where he used a couple of tricks (expanding his ki to locate an opponent and the Dyspo battle - even then he was utterly helpless in a couple of other scenarios with tricky opponents), he always just went with pure power.

You even have the gory Cell Jr take down that was even censored by the original anime.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the Cell saga Goku bet everything on Gohan's raw power, he didn't really teach him much martial arts or strategy.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
He measured his strikes vs Cell specifically so he could suffer. I think he did the same for Buu too? And it's not like he wasn't eraged against Cell, so he showed restraint with his strikes even in that state.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, my thought process was that he's not really been about lightning strikes as the "ta ta ta ta ta ta" suggests.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
How consistent were fighting styles in the original manga, anyway? It's only starting with Super that I really noticed, since the newer characters like Hit and Zamasu are a lot more unique in how they fight.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Goku made an indirect Trix reference when he was fighting Dyspo in the dub

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Caught an episode of the RoF Super adaptation on TV again (spaghetti Gohan episode). I had literally forgotten how bad things looked during that period. Every character looks so damn bad. Literally no one seems to be drawn according to their character sheet, their shapes and proportions are all over the place. The colouring/shading doesn't help either.

It's not that this didn't happen with some frequency in the OG series + Z + GT, but when things are in HD and with much more livelier/stronger colours (in general) it's much harder to ignore it.

Early Super was 100% a mess in every possible way. Thank god for the ToP arc setting things back on the proper path. Hopefully the new series is a lot more of that ( with the new style introduced in the Broly movie) and a lot less, early Super.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Caught an episode of the RoF Super adaptation on TV again (spaghetti Gohan episode). I had literally forgotten how bad things looked during that period. Every character looks so damn bad. Literally no one seems to be drawn according to their character sheet, their shapes and proportions are all over the place. The colouring/shading doesn't help either.

It's not that this didn't happen with some frequency in the OG series + Z + GT, but when things are in HD and with much more livelier/stronger colours (in general) it's much harder to ignore it.

Early Super was 100% a mess in every possible way. Thank god for the ToP arc setting things back on the proper path. Hopefully the new series is a lot more of that ( with the new style introduced in the Broly movie) and a lot less, early Super.

i went back to the future trunks stuff after TOP and it looked bad in comparison.

those recap arcs were actual garbage released to the public and all the shit the show got at the beginning was no hyperbole.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
How consistent were fighting styles in the original manga, anyway? It's only starting with Super that I really noticed, since the newer characters like Hit and Zamasu are a lot more unique in how they fight.

Consistent enough that vegeta loves spamming projectiles and gohan loves beating shit with overwhelming force and then gloating.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
BoG arc wasn't anything special, but it was passable, for the most part. The F arc was a garbage fire visually.

You really don't have to worry, the quality of the production schedule for season 2 is massively better than season 1 at any point in its run and of course the new designs are much more animation friendly.

ANYWAYS, we're finally in the month that season 2 will probably get announced.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Will we get any artwork for the announcement? I don't expect any hint of the actual arc but maybe some desings for characters that weren't in broly

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
We'd probably get a short teaser clip like with the Broly movie right?

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Will we get any artwork for the announcement? I don't expect any hint of the actual arc but maybe some desings for characters that weren't in broly
Presumably we'll get a key visual this month.
We'd probably get a short teaser clip like with the Broly movie right?
It's possible, there is certainly a decent amount of finished animation right now. Honestly though I kinda don't expect footage until early May.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
BoG arc wasn't anything special, but it was passable, for the most part. The F arc was a garbage fire visually.

You really don't have to worry, the quality of the production schedule for season 2 is massively better than season 1 at any point in its run and of course the new designs are much more animation friendly.

ANYWAYS, we're finally in the month that season 2 will probably get announced.
I don't doubt it. If all the rumours about the pre-production and planning are true, then we should definitely get a much more consistent series from day 1! If they can make it look half as good as the movie most of the time, I'd already be a happy fan.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Something I was wondering - is there a record set for the most preproduction for a weekly anime series?
By weekly do you mean a long running series and not one that just runs for 13 or so episodes?
Pokemon at one point had animation for episodes starting something like 8 or 9 months ahead of when they aired. It's around 6 months now though, which is still crazy good.
For comparison Super season 2 had animation start 4 months ahead of when the first episode airs, which is pretty great, but not ridiculous like Pokemon.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
By weekly do you mean a long running series and not one that just runs for 13 or so episodes?
Pokemon at one point had animation for episodes starting something like 8 or 9 months ahead of when they aired. It's around 6 months now though, which is still crazy good.
For comparison Super season 2 had animation start 4 months ahead of when the first episode airs, which is pretty great, but not ridiculous like Pokemon.

Yeah, I meant long-running like Super as opposed to something like Attack of Titan or One Punch Man. That is a long time for Pokemon - it's a shame that they didn't do something like that for Super in the first place. Super only had 2 months or something, right? I'm actually surprised they aren't doing like 9 months for season 2, this is one of those times where there is no overkill.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I meant long-running like Super as opposed to something like Attack of Titan or One Punch Man. That is a long time for Pokemon - it's a shame that they didn't do something like that for Super in the first place. Super only had 2 months or something, right? I'm actually surprised they aren't doing like 9 months for season 2, this is one of those times where there is no overkill.
Season 1 episodes were made in 3-5 weeks and were often not finished until the week of airing.
Animation starting 4 months ahead is still upper end as far as productions for long running shows go. Keep in mind that with that 9 months for Pokemon they weren't working on individual episodes for 9 months straight, they would complete the episodes in 8-12 weeks and then the episode would sit in a buffer until it was time for it to air. Super season 2 should have a buffer in the range of 6-8 episodes completed when it starts airing, which is a really good amount and enough to save episodes that end up having production struggles without throwing the whole show out of whack.
Also having ridiculously amazing productions can also create issues where if they need to course correct for any reason (like poor reception to the direction of the show) they would need to throw out a bunch of completed episodes or the shift in direction for the show would come later than it needed too.
The 4-6 month range is the sweet spot.

Last edited: