• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I know a Broly retelling isn't likely, but it wouldn't bother me.

People hate the idea because of BoG and RoF's quality, but that shouldn't really be an issue with Broly retelling with everything we're hearing about Super2 and it's improvements compared to OG Super.
but i also hate the idea because Broly was a much better movie (and comprehensive) than the other two. (don't get me wrong, I really like BoG and RoF, but as a whole movie, Broly was a lot better)

so not only would it look worse, it wouldn't add as much.

For instance, RoF retelling could've done more to explain achieving SSB, sicne the movie didn't. But it didn't.
Broly didn't have a hole quite that gaping for me.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
but i also hate the idea because Broly was a much better movie (and comprehensive) than the other two. (don't get me wrong, I really like BoG and RoF, but as a whole movie, Broly was a lot better)

so not only would it look worse, it wouldn't add as much.

For instance, RoF retelling could've done more to explain achieving SSB, sicne the movie didn't. But it didn't.
Broly didn't have a hole quite that gaping for me.
Yeah i guess. The only thing they can really add that people want is more U6 saiyan references, UI references, and some type of Bardock fight. The movie doesn't really leave much room for other stuff.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Dubbing the song ruined everything.

What's worse is the dub crowd has to hear that version for the remainder of the tournament. lol

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
I really, really like Super's dub. The performances and scripts are insanely good, and I've consistently enjoyed the series better in dubbed form.

But the Ultimate Battle dub is... well, it's honestly pretty awful. Funi's made good song dubs before, so I don't really get what happened. It damages UI's reveal pretty badly, and considering how often the song is used, it's going to continue to be an issue for the rest of the arc.

It's just incredibly disappointing for a dub that was doing such an amazing job to make such a massive misstep.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Oh wow the song was dubbed???

Someone told me that the problem was that Funimation slowed down some frames in the fight between UI Goku and Jiren and the UI Roar but he didn't mention the song at all.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
WHAT THE FUCK THEY DUBBED IT???

Fuck off with this bullshit Funi. Replacing a great song with what sounds like a shitty fan cover is just stupid, who the hell was dumb enough to okay this shit.

The dub is officially trash.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
I will say that considering Funimation has left insert songs completely untouched in the past (such as in Kai), I suspect that Toei might have insisted on dubbing the song. Toei has a bit of a history of mandating certain parts of Funimation's Dragon Ball dubs (their refusal to let Funi use "Son Goku," except with special permission, being the most infamous case), and this feels very in line with that.

Mind you, I still think Funimation should've done a better job, even if the choice to do it or not was out of their hands.

Jager

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Everyone's shitting on them for poorly dubbing Ultimate Battle (rightfully so), what the hell went on here though?

This is far worse, it's like they lost the source material and had to work with a poorly made gif...

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
The LatAm dub left the song in japanese....EXCEPT fot the final fight...

The dub was pretty good, even if all the OPs were butchered

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus fucking christ, what a disaster, from an awful dubbing of an iconic song, to removing frames from animation and even down to smaller things like changing "He's coming" for no reason. The Funimation dub never ceases to find way to piss me off.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
I don't watch the dub because I don't like it but I watched the roshi episode and the ending so beerus said to him 'you almost impressed me'. Wasn't half as cool

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus fucking christ, what a disaster, from an awful dubbing of an iconic song, to removing frames from animation and even down to smaller things like changing "He's coming" for no reason. The Funimation dub never ceases to find way to piss me off.
The song being dubbed is so confusing. It's not even at the correct audio levels either, it's really muted. I really want to know who makes these decisions.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017

kind of doubt the animation frames are the fault of funimation

also that last part is such a damn nitpick

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
oh man that song already got lowkey cringy to me with how overused I thought it was in the sub.

What'd they change "he's coming" to?

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Why would that be on purpose? Looks like an obvious mistake for the broadcast and it wouldn't be the first time

Geldboom

Oct 28, 2017
Why would that be on purpose? Looks like an obvious mistake for the broadcast and it wouldn't be the first time

Framedrops just don't happen at random, why would it just be the Goku scene, but not Jiren?
They also darkend the screen during Jiren's punches...

This wasn't a random glitch.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Someone fucked up somewhere but I can't believe toonami intended it to air like that

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
It might have been a half assed seizure prevention thing, but like why drop frames on Goku when they could just dim him like they did Jiren? Dimming the screen is a super common seizure prevention thing, dropping frames not so much.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
oh great, the none Japanese releases will have the shit version on the blu ray wont they

Last edited:

Geldboom

Oct 28, 2017
I assume it has to do with epilepsy.

But I'm not sure why since Japan already has strict rules about that

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
It might have been a half assed seizure prevention thing, but like why drop frames on Goku when they could just dim him like they did Jiren? Dimming the screen is a super common seizure prevention thing, dropping frames not so much.
i'm thinking it was probably a fuckup on the part of AS editing department, at least that's my theory

Oct 25, 2017
I can't really see that being the reason. I wonder if they were just in a rush editing the episode and something went wrong. I remember Sean Schemmel finished dubbing the Ultra Instinct last month and Ultimate Battle sounds poorly mixed. I think they rushed that to meet the Toonami deadline and something went wrong.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I can't really see that being the reason. I wonder if they were just in a rush editing the episode and something went wrong. I remember Sean Schemmel finished dubbing the Ultra Instinct last month and Ultimate Battle sounds poorly mixed. I think they rushed that to meet the Toonami deadline and something went wrong.
I don't think so, it's only the Goku cuts that lost frames and only the Jiren cuts that were darkened, it looks like it was done on purpose.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so, it's only the Goku cuts that lost frames and only the Jiren cuts that were darkened, it looks like it was done on purpose.
Well Chris Ayers recently came back and I imagine they have to go back and edit him back in over the stuff they recorded for Daman and make sure it matches with the other voices. Maybe when they edited the episode something got messed up. In any case they are probably under a lot of crunch if Sean just finished last month.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine that it won't be fixed on the blu rays, like there's literally no reason for funimation to have messed up the frames on purpose that I can think of, and don't networks often edit things like that to fit broadcast standards? I mean this could be an adult swim thing, but hey what do I know.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Even if Funi were forced to dub the song (which doesn't make sense to me, why would they be forced to dub it, copyright issues?) they still could have done a way better job. Like, when they heard it plugged for the first time, did no one say how horrid it sounded? Were they just stressed for time and were like "Oh well, just air it."

lemonade

May 8, 2018
One of two things happened, either the version Toei provided had issues or Funimation did a funimation again.

In the first case, they could have easily fixed it but they didn't. As expected from a trash company that put out an atrocious dubbed song.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Even if Funi were forced to dub the song (which doesn't make sense to me, why would they be forced to dub it, copyright issues?)

Hmm, didn't FighterZ get an instrumental-only version song as part of its second DLC song pack? That might indicate there's a copyright complication with the JP vocals.

Oct 25, 2017
Dubbing the song would be fine if the singer matched the original. It didn't though and it's going to make a lot of scenes weaker because of it. Vic was unfortunately FUNimation's best singer and all their other covers have been worse than the original.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Dubbing the song would be fine if the singer matched the original. It didn't though and it's going to make a lot of scenes weaker because of it. Vic was unfortunately FUNimation's best singer and all their other covers have been worse than the original.
Vic wouldn't have fit either.
It also doesn't help that the lyrics aren't great either, song could have been localized way better.

Oct 25, 2017
Vic wouldn't have fit either.
It also doesn't help that the lyrics aren't great either, song could have been localized way better.
You're right but it can be done decently this fan-cover is actually pretty solid. It's perfectly serviceable the mistake is who they went with and it's poor quality.

I prefer they leave all songs undubbed because they've been so bad with them, but if they get someone good I wouldn't complain.