• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
funimation is trash because the dub song is bad....lol that's some hilarious hyperbole

SkywardBeam

Oct 25, 2017
Man, it sucks how far behind the German dub is compared to (as it seems) the rest of the world. We only got about 10 episodes of the FT Arc so far, the rest starts airing next month. Will most likely be July 2020 til we get the ToP :/ Being one of the largest, most important markets, that's just inexcusable. I wonder who's to blame for this, Toei or our local distributor (Kazé).
I'd take a few butchered frames or a badly dubbed insert song over this any day of the week.

Tl;dr: I wish I had your luxury problems.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody is saying that. It's one of a million things that add up to Funimation's handling of the dub being poor.
yeah every time you say that...i just don't see it like earlier you said they changed what Beerus said...no they didn't they changed the Sub's interpretation of what he said, Kuru zo just means 'it's coming' and that's what beerus said in english. Like honestly the dub has been pretty excellent all around, I say this as someone who watches it every week.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The dub in general is pretty great. The script is good and all the voices are typically on point. It has an odd change here and there and all the dubbed songs are bad, but it's still a great dub overall.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
yeah every time you say that...i just don't see it like earlier you said they changed what Beerus said...no they didn't they changed the Sub's interpretation of what he said, Kuru zo just means 'it's coming' and that's what beerus said in english. Like honestly the dub has been pretty excellent all around, I say this as someone who watches it every week.
First I said that change was something minor, but if you want to do this, then fine.
"He's coming" is something that that became iconic, it was a popular line in a popular scene.

"Here it comes" doesn't have the same impact and doesn't actually make as much sense in the scene. It also doesn't help that the line is delivered like its a normal conversation, completely removing the dramatic flair.
And beyond this, there were other dumb changes, like changing a worried, almost sad sounding "Son Goku!" from Beerus to him yelling "ARE YOU FINISHED!"
Just like every episode, they love to change lines to things that are completely different for no actual reason and continually fuck up the voice direction and tone. The script changes and voice direction are a much, much more common issue than some of you like to admit.
And don't get me started on their instance on destroying yells with weird post processing. UI Goku sounded like a fucking vacuum.

Oct 25, 2017
It annoys me when the performances are great and then they do a soundtrack change that just buzzkills everything. I actually dug what Sean did with Ultra Instinct and then you're blind sided by the awful song and then the frame rate drop thing happens.

I'll be getting this on Blu-ray whenever this comes just to get Chris Ayres for Freeza again and will post any changes that I find from the Toonami broadcast.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
You guys would have a better dub if you didn't justify the fuck ups.

LatAm went ballistic on the dub's OPs being terrible.

Changing the script is not okay.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
First I said that change was something minor, but if you want to do this, then fine.
"He's coming" is something that that became iconic, it was a popular line in a popular scene.

"Here it comes" doesn't have the same impact and doesn't actually make as much sense in the scene. It also doesn't help that the line is delivered like its a normal conversation, completely removing the dramatic flair.
And beyond this, there were other dumb changes, like changing a worried, almost sad sounding "Son Goku!" from Beerus to him yelling "ARE YOU FINISHED!"
Just like every episode, they love to change lines to things that are completely different for no actual reason and continually fuck up the voice direction and tone. The script changes and voice direction are a much, much more common issue than some of you like to admit.
And don't get me started on their instance on destroying yells with weird post processing. UI Goku sounded like a fucking vacuum.

first of all, i'd like to remind you that Toei never lets them say Son Goku, second of all I don't have to admit anything because the voice direction is not something that i generally have any issue with, and third of all Ultra Instinct sean sounded good, and lastly 'delivered like it's a normal conversation?' were you listening because i don't talk like that in a 'normal conversation'

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
first of all, i'd like to remind you that Toei never lets them say Son Goku, second of all I don't have to admit anything because the voice direction is not something that i generally have any issue with, and third of all Ultra Instinct sean sounded good, and lastly 'delivered like it's a normal conversation?' were you listening because i don't talk like that in a 'normal conversation'
He doesn't have to say "Son", you're missing the point. They changed a line of him sounding worried and sad yelling Goku's name to him just shouting "ARE YOU FINISHED?" They completely changed the line and the tone of it. Also is there a source for Toei not letting Funi use "Son", because it shows up randomly like Black calling GT Goku "Son Goku" in the most recent FighterZ DLC when Goku would have worked just fine.
Schemmel's yells were almost entirely covered by post processing.
Douglas' delivery of "Here it comes" is in his normal Beerus speaking voice without any of the dramatic flair.
The voice direction is spotty at best, there are multiple poor line deliveries in every episode with some totally changing the tone of a scene.

Oct 25, 2017

D6YJhW5WkAELZt1.jpg

I think we can rule out seizure warnings being the issue during the frame drop portion.

Oct 25, 2017

I found this online and confirmed the Latino dub did change the song for final episode. Perhaps some of our Latino viewers here can confirm if they actually went back and changed it for the reruns.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
The price you pay for nostalgia dub:

- One year delay
- frame drops during animation
- bad OP/ED dub songs
- god awful dub insert songs
- random script changes that don't make sense
- autonomous

Oct 25, 2017
The price you pay for nostalgia dub:

- One year delay
- frame drops during animation
- bad OP/ED dub songs
- god awful dub insert songs
- random script changes that don't make sense
- autonomous

The one year delay is all on Toei being incompetent as fuck and not doing anything with Super until it really blew up. We didn't get an official live stream of it till the end of the Black arc.

Autonomous is just trying to fit for the migatte portion of the name. I honestly don't have a problem with that part. It's a little of a mouthful and they could have picked something better, but at the very least there's some logic of why they went with that other than to fit lip flaps. The translator Funimation uses Steve Simmons has a habit of taking his translations far too literally.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I'm usually pretty apologetic on the dub, I really liked Whis's english explanation of the UI form, and Jiren's verbal shittalk after it fades away. Pretty uncommon that there's something Im really annoyed by (Make the donuts / silly rabbit).

But the dubbed insert song is awful, and the frame drops / darkening makes zero sense at all. Sucks.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Autonomous is just trying to fit for the migatte portion of the name. I honestly don't have a problem with that part. It's a little of a mouthful and they could have picked something better, but at the very least there's some logic of why they went with that other than to fit lip flaps. The translator Funimation uses Steve Simmons has a habit of taking his translations far too literally.

I would rather they use "incomplete" and "complete" ultra instinct instead of this "autonomous" bs.

Oct 25, 2017
I would rather they use "incomplete" and "complete" ultra instinct instead of this "autonomous" bs.
I'm pretty sure completed or incomplete is never used in the show itself so that wouldn't be accurate. Not to mention Belmod and co are freaking out and don't mention it's temporary until it actually runs out, and they had no idea it would till it actually happens.

Saying that would spoil what happens at the end of the episode.

Geldboom

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty sure all other dubs just called it UI (correct me if I'm wrong).

Kinda funny how Funi decided to add the "autonomous" part.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm totally into what's happening currently in the English version that I'm thinking of just finishing the series in Japanese. The wait is just way too long.
BUT I hate the screaming in Japanese. I don't know if I could put up with it.

Decisions, decisions...

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
I'm totally into what's happening currently in the English version that I'm thinking of just finishing the series in Japanese. The wait is just way too long.
BUT I hate the screaming in Japanese. I don't know if I could put up with it.

Decisions, decisions...
Japanese is better, you will grow to love it. even the screams

Oct 25, 2017
So is there a deal between Toei and Funimation that says all music must be dubbed? Because I'm not sure why Funimation keeps doing it. Wouldn't it be cheaper to leave it alone? Come to think of it even Blizzard has a dub :p

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
So is there a deal between Toei and Funimation that says all music must be dubbed? Because I'm not sure why Funimation keeps doing it. Wouldn't it be cheaper to leave it alone? Come to think of it even Blizzard has a dub :p
Blizzard had an English version by the original artist, right? Same with Hero. Funimation made the Ultimate Battle dub themselves, so it's a bit of a different situation.

Back in the day, dubbing OPs and EDs wasn't that unusual, so Funimation doing the same for Super is probably just tradition. However, to my knowledge, this is the first time Funimation has ever dubbed an insert song in anything, which makes me think that it's not just business as usual for Funi. We'll probably never know for sure if Toei required them to dub it or not, but it's very likely the case.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Terez is saying Shintani's involvement with 2uper is a bit shaky now. Hopefully it's just a misinformation.

He also speculates 2uper returns in October with July announcement.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be interesting to see TOEI really put all their eggs into the basket with the production of the series either way if the rumors are true. That isn't something they do very often. Super's pre-production was what, 3 months maybe?

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Right, I totally forgot about holiday marathons. But with 21 episodes plus Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Labor Day, that should land it on October 26th. Am I forgetting a holiday?
https://www.reddit.com/r/dbz/wiki/dub
It'll be interesting to see TOEI really put all their eggs into the basket with the production of the series either way if the rumors are true. That isn't something they do very often. Super's pre-production was what, 3 months maybe?
Toei productions are usually pretty healthy, Super's messed up production was due to circumstance.
They've had a few crazy good productions in recent years like Sailor Moon Crystal 3.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Please tell me track will be left untouched on the JPN dub in the Bluray.