• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Would be quite the bizarre move, but I wouldn't put it past Toei to ruin the US release somehow

Then again Funi gave us green tint Broly so who knows... still not sure how I'm gonna watch Broly w/o that tint in the US...

Yea first couple of times we saw it I maybe thought they were doing it because they didn't want people to have seizures. Like I could think that was their logic.

Tonight's episode threw that theory out the window. They used it too much and weren't even consistent. Like I know Funi does weird artistic choices at times and usually that doesn't bother me. But this looked like watching a laggy twitch stream. But I also find it hard to believe someone actually did this, looked at it and thought. "this is awesome"

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing, another week with the dub having a fucked up frame rate. The fact that this is still an on going issue is baffling.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing, another week with the dub having a fucked up frame rate. The fact that this is still an on going issue is baffling.
DeMarco seemed to be unaware of it, and Funi doesn't usually mess with the editing like this on their broadcast dubs so I think it has to be something on Toei's end

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
I just watched a clip of the lower framerates. wow. It's a shame people waited for this

Geldboom

Oct 28, 2017
I think it would be weird if it was Toei's fault, since the other dubs don't have this problem.

That would mean Toei gave Funi different footage compared to the other dubs.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Whoever is at fault needs to pull their heads out of their asses. The show already has a bad rap for its animation, this only makes it worse.

This is totally unacceptable.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Well that's good. I was wondering if there was some sort of encoding issue because the times the framerate slowed down weren't even consistent.

Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't really change what I said, but yeah, it's inconsistent whether the frames drop or not I guess.
Hopefully this is all sorted out before the next episode airs and they replace the versions they have streaming of the last 4 episodes with fixed ones.

Either way I agree. Hopefully it's fixed before next week because some cool stuff is about to happen from here on out.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully DeMarco can get this sorted out, I don't think 114 will be affected too heavily since it doesn't use tons of 'fast' animation and relies more on good art and smooth movement. The end of the Goku vs Kefla fight is what I'm really worried about.

Oct 25, 2017
How the hell can they be unaware this is happening until twitter brought it to their attention?

AS/Toonami probably doesn't screen each episode lol. Didn't SAO like glitch out on their network not too long ago? And look at what I posted earlier.

It's possible that other stations in Japan asked TOEI to tone it down with that animation and TOEI sent out this version to Funimation as well. Someone told Demarco that they've seen reruns in japan on different stations with this issue as well. IDK how true that is though.

Tux_

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
So what does all this One Piece news mean for 2uper?

I give no fucks about One Piece, but looks like its delaying 2uper, smh 😒

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of doubt One Piece will affect any dragon ball productions that much

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of doubt One Piece will affect any dragon ball productions that much
Yeah, it's pretty unlikely. Even when they were running they had very little crossover in staff and the ones that did work on both either weren't regulars on either or weren't major animators. If any series was going to be hurt because of OP it is unlikely it'd be the series that makes up half of Toei's revenue, it'd likely be one of their other properties.

It should also be noted that there is really nothing amazing in that teaser to make anyone even really think that DB has been put off to focus on OP. The animation in that teaser isn't really a step up from the current norm for OP, it's just that Nagamine taking over as series director has resulted in stuff like nicer post processing, better compositing and a bigger focus on high quality story boarding.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
apparently its tumored that shintani is the new art director for op?
No. People are getting confused when they hear Nagamine, the director of Broly, is the series director now.
People believe the CD is Midori Matsuda.
I don't know if this was directed at me or anything, but don't take my saying the animation isn't a step up as a bad thing, One Piece has had pretty solid animation for quite a long time at this point. It's been what, nearly 2 straight years of being solid? I'm not putting OP down or anything, but just saying the visual improvements seen in the teaser don't really have anything to do with animation or Toei putting more focus on the series, but instead it's because of the new series director's style and talent.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
No. People are getting confused when they hear Nagamine, the director of Broly, is the series director now.
People believe the CD is Midori Matsuda.

I don't know if this was directed at me or anything, but don't take my saying the animation isn't a step up as a bad thing, One Piece has had pretty solid animation for quite a long time at this point. It's been what, nearly 2 straight years of being solid? I'm not putting OP down or anything, but just saying the visual improvements seen in the teaser don't really have anything to do with animation or Toei putting more focus on the series, but instead it's because of the new series director's style and talent.
Should've added wrong thread lol

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this, it's apparently from a pamphlet from the DVD release of Broly(jpn).

So if I understand it correctly it's possible that Dragon Ball will continue on as movies for now?

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Saw this, it's apparently from a pamphlet from the DVD release of Broly(jpn).

So if I understand it correctly it's possible that Dragon Ball will continue on as movies for now?

The show being back on air and more movies coming aren't mutually exclusive. Nothing that he said points towards the series just becoming movies.
With the show having a better production they can do a TV anime and movies at the same time like One Piece does.
Broly is the highest grossing Toei Animation film of all time, of course they'll want to do more DBS movies, but that doesn't mean they'll come at the cost of the show not coming back.

Morlas

Oct 25, 2017
yeah i thought the point of the break was to get the production of the franchise as a whole in a better place to both increase the quality of the anime and to make things easier on the animators and the other staff

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
The show being on air and more movies coming aren't mutually exclusive. Nothing that he said points towards the series just becoming movies.
With the show having a better production they can do a TV anime and movies at the same time like One Piece does.
Ah ok, I can see them doing something similar as One Piece. I thought when he mentioned being burnt out it was for the series but he probably meant for the doing something similar to Broly.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Another thing to keep in mind, if they are really just making preparations right now then the movie is probably a ways away anyways. Broly first started in early 2017 with scripting and the CD audition and then animation started in early 2018.

I'm interested to see what they mean by it being different instead of just MORE POWER! Might be awhile till we see though, could be late 2020 or even sometime in 2021.

Last edited:
May 30, 2018
I'm assuming all future movies would be canon, so I wonder how this works

It could be Series-->Movie introduces new char/power---> Series and repeat.

Would hate for them to pull a OP since IIRC OP films are non canon, so it's just a pretty fun movie that ultimately means nothing

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming all future movies would be canon, so I wonder how this works

It could be Series-->Movie introduces new char/power---> Series and repeat.

Would hate for them to pull a OP since IIRC OP films are non canon, so it's just a pretty fun movie that ultimately means nothing
The show doesn't have to be off air for a movie to be canon.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
We now know what's up with the framerate drops in Super on Toonami...
Click for thread.

Really dumb since the standard practice in anime is to dim the screen and add ghosting.
The explanation is also questionable to me since this was never an issue with Dragon Ball on Toonami before and I keep hearing that other shows that do quick repeating frames aren't touched.
It also doesn't help that the application is super spotty. Sometimes a bit of animation will have frames dropped and then that bit will be used later in the episode and be fine.

Last edited:

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I actually hadn't seen the Fuji vs Original compared directly before. Makes the raw footage look incredibly fast.

Hopefully the tweaks made for the dub lean the look to more like the Fuji edit.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
ok now i'm really confused

why the fuck would funimation go out of their way to make the video green

i figured toei were the dumbshits and funi just used what they got

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
ok now i'm really confused

why the fuck would funimation go out of their way to make the video green

i figured toei were the dumbshits and funi just used what they got
why would they target an expensive collectors set at hardcore fans but then make it looks like shit because they think that's what the average consumer wants? Who knows, it is strange company

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
why would they target an expensive collectors set at hardcore fans but then make it looks like shit because they think that's what the average consumer wants? Who knows, it is strange company

I mean yeah, but at least their twisted logic there is "we need to get rid of grain to make it presentable for modern audiences"

does making the image MORE GREEN sell?!?!?

I want to see that shit in a trailer with Sabat voiceover

THE DEFINITIVE EDITION OF THE INSTANT CLASSIC

IN HIGH DEFINITION

WITH ORIGINAL JAPANESE AUDIO

AND A GREEN TINT ADDED OVER THE VIDEO

THIS IS THE WAY BROLY WAS MEANT TO BE SEEN