• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
have atleast 2 of the crimals actually be able to give goku and vegeta a fight and not be fodder

ofcourse at one chapter a month nut sure if we have time for that

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Finished all the DBZ movies, now on to GT. Most of them were pretty forgettable, I'd say Battle of Gods was probably my favorite of them.

Ressurection F was pretty lame, the way blue super saiyan was introduced was really underwhelming, not sure if it's any better in Super. I also hate them turning Gohan into the new Yamcha after Buu
Blue is overall an underwhelming transformation. It's taken over SSJ1 as basically the default new look, but because of that it's treated pretty normally rather than a noticeably Next Big Thing. There was no build up to the transformation, and Goku and Vegeta both ultimately end up losing their first fights in it.

There are other transformations in Super though, including God, that are better treated as a big deal.

Eldon

Oct 27, 2017
Latest chapter was a bit...nyaa...again. Like why does Goku go from God to SSJ3? Why does Vegeta want to go to Yardrat at all? At least Moro absorbing their Ki is a great way to let them get fucked up by small flys
Well, about Goku, it's because Moro was leeching their power and in the scale of transformations SSJ3 is the step before God I guess...
Vegeta training arc it's something that always works, like when he reached SSJ and Bluev2

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, about Goku, it's because Moro was leeching their power and in the scale of transformations SSJ3 is the step before God I guess...
Vegeta training arc it's something that always works, like when he reached SSJ and Bluev2

Those transformations are so different that I never thought that Goku powering down from God will let him go down to SSJ3. Doesn't make any sense for me with all that "God ki is way different! It's also way different at all" thing going on. Also fuck Vegeta for doing his own shit again. He doesn't deserve Yadrat training lol

Eldon

Oct 27, 2017
Those transformations are so different that I never thought that Goku powering down from God will let him go down to SSJ3. Doesn't make any sense for me with all that "God ki is way different! It's also way different at all" thing going on. Also fuck Vegeta for doing his own shit again. He doesn't deserve Yadrat training lol
As Blader said just moments ago, it went from God level Ki and all that to just another tier of transformations, leaving the mystical special side to Ultra Instinct

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
A year away?!? I thought it was supposed to be coming in October. :\

But yeah, it's wild that, despite how immensely successful the show, movie, and overall brand are, Toei has been absolutely silent on when the show is continuing.
We don't know when it's coming anymore, but October seems off the table now.
At this point I think it's safe to just say we'll be waiting till Kitaro ends, which will either be March, if it's the same length as the last one, or June if we're unlucky. It could also end September 2020 if we're super unlucky, but that would make it the longest Kitaro series ever and I don't think that's super likely.

Anyways, Ajay went ahead and laid things out.
I guess I can just lay out the facts and you guys can make of it what you will:

- A European dubbing company (precise country redacted for privacy) were explicitly told by Toei that production on a new series is in the works.
- A meeting discussing a new series took place in Italy in April. They were told to prepare for an announcement in May.
- Two European VAs casually mentioned then redacted the existence of a new Super series.
- At no point were Funimation ever aware of a new series.
- Toei US denied the existence both publicly and privately to US staff.
- Toei US, Toei US, and Toei JP are separate entities, and according to Brady Hartel from Discotek, these branches don't often communicate with one another synchronously.
- A dozen or so Toei Phils staff explicitly admitted the existence of a sequel Dragon Ball Super series. The sheer number of staff and precise details provided serve as the primary basis for the series' existence.
- Many of these staff repeatedly mentioned an air date of July and Fuji TV as the location of broadcast, though a few said that while they know of its existence, they're not sure when it'll launch.
- Their focus was always on Stampede, but depending on the Phils staff contacted, they were at different stages with regards to Super. Some had it on their calendars, while others had received production materials.
- Those with production materials specifically cited the designs being the same as the Broly movie, with many auxiliary characters falling back on Nakatsuru's DBZ designs.
- This information was procured over the course of several months, and they continued to say the same things right up until the predicted announcement. Following this, nobody seemed to know what was going on. However on July 31st 2019, after reaching out, a staff member said: "I don't know when the new series will release, but maybe next year. As far as I know, there's no Dragon Ball this year. We're making some Dragon Ball Heroes episodes, but nothing with the regular DBS series".
- Toei US stated privately that Toei Animation does not work with Toei Phils (Note: this is laughably incorrect. They work on every single episode of every single Toei show to this very day. (They even provided One Piece materials to me before an episode even aired). This absurd statement was one of the reasons why nobody really paid much attention to their denial.
- Following Super sequel claims, Masaki Sato tweeted "No way! All these questions... at this point it's industry talk and I shouldn't say more. Did something leak from somewhere? Overseas? Though I guess if it's already been revealed, it might be okay to discuss..." I DM'd him asking him to clarify if he was talking about Super, but all he said was that he'd return if he was offered an Animation Supervisor role.
- On March 20th, a Shueisha employee from the One Piece department mocked people claiming Super would return in July on their personal Twitter account. However, he was ignored as he has a history of making wild claims. His basis was that it would be too expensive to produce a movie and a new Super series within the same year... despite the fact that that's exactly what happened in 2015, and continues to happen every single year.
- On March 30th, Tu Yong-ce said he had never heard about any sort of follow-up series to Super. Tu works exclusively in the One Piece department.
- However a day later, another Toei animator (redacted for privacy) said: "I don't know anything about Dragon Ball Super's continuation, but I'm working on it "
- I was told Ryota Nakamura and Masato Mitsuka were on One Piece Stampede back on May 7th. However, Kazuya Karasawa's Twitter bio mentions "NEW WORK IN PREPARATION" for a (still!) unannounced project.
- I was told Yuya Takahashi was on One Piece Stampede back in January - he is serving as an animation supervisor.
- I was told Naoki Tate was on One Piece Stampede on May 31st.
- Animators on Stampede mentioned that the movie's schedule is very good, so claims that the movie's schedule affected Super, while not impossible, are probably misguided. That said...
- Toei have a well-documented history of postponing and/or changing projects and their formats. Some well-known examples: their anniversary project Pop in Q had its plans altered twice, Sailor Moon Crystal is in purgatory since they keep scrapping plans, a Hannah Montana anime pilot was created and then scrapped. They have a habit of putting things on the cards very early, so in a projects' infancy, things are subject to change.
- After consulting with "industry experts" from various publications like AnimeNewsNetwork and CrunchyRoll, the general consensus is that at some point, a Super series was likely set in stone for July, and then changed. Anything beyond that is far too unclear to determine based on the evidence.

I'm probably missing some stuff, but that's pretty much all the key bits of information. Bizarre situation. Whether this was all a big misunderstanding, a case of changed plans, or something else, hopefully one day we'll find out exactly what happened.

My guess is that they decided they didn't want to take on more than they could chew with all their currently ongoing shows, Stampede and October's Precure movie.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
How frustrating. I mean I'd rather they not rush the show into production and then spend a couple years just trying to right the ship again, but a nearly two-year gap at minimum between seasons seems...excessive!

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
We don't know when it's coming anymore, but October seems off the table now.
At this point I think it's safe to just say we'll be waiting till Kitaro ends, which will either be March, if it's the same length as the last one, or June if we're unlucky. It could also end September 2020 if we're super unlucky, but that would make it the longest Kitaro series ever and I don't think that's super likely.

Anyways, Ajay went ahead and laid things out.

My guess is that they decided they didn't want to take on more than they could chew with all their currently ongoing shows, Stampede and October's Precure movie.

That's a lot of interesting information, Arched. But one tidbit stands out about the rest:

a Hannah Montana anime pilot was created and then scrapped.

WTF TOEI

GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER

FORGET 2UPER

THE WORLD NEEDS THIS

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
So we are back to waiting for Jump Festa in September lol

was kitaro 2018 announced it or at jump Festa 2017?
Jump Festa is December.
Also no, Kitaro was announce in late January of the year it started airing.
Who knows when they'll announce Super in relation to it's air date, could be this year, could be next.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, for anybody that cares Bandai stealth confirmed arcs past Namek in Kakarot. A recent magazine had screenshots of Goku in his Gi that debuted in the Androids arc.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
It took 4 years to get the second season of Attack on Titan.

I can wait.
We shouldn't have to wait that long at least, even the absolute worst case scenario I can see is like 2 years and 9 months (January 2021), but that honestly seems pretty unlikely to me.
Who knows though I was sure they wouldn't keep Super off air for more than a year originally so I could be 110% wrong.
As long as the show comes back with none of the production issues of season 1 then I'm fine. One of the things I'm most interested in is how new movies will go when we have a show going. Broly came between seasons and assuming they don't retell it that's also where it is narratively, but what about the next movie? We know they are in the very early planning stages of a new movie, which I would guess will be released in 2021 or 2022. Will it be written by Toriyama? Will it be canon? When will it take place? Hopefully we don't go back to Z style movies.

Oct 25, 2017
- However a day later, another Toei animator (redacted for privacy) said: "I don't know anything about Dragon Ball Super's continuation, but I'm working on it "

This one's a joke right

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
We shouldn't have to wait that long at least, even the absolute worst case scenario I can see is like 2 years and 9 months (January 2021), but that honestly seems pretty unlikely to me.

it pains me to say it, but... they know masako nozawa is 82 years old, right?

dragon ball shouldn't have this much downtime. ever.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
it pains me to say it, but... they know masako nozawa is 82 years old, right?

dragon ball shouldn't have this much downtime. ever.
Yeah, I also wish they would take advantage of the time she has left as well, but it's business. While this break may mean they miss out on some years with Nozawa down the road they are likely more worried about making sure they don't stretch themselves thin right now like they have in the past. Toei has been on a roll with their productions and they probably want to keep that going.
I am curious what the transition will be like when we no longer have Nozawa as Goku. Obviously it'll be a lot easier if she retires because they can plan for that, but if she unexpectedly passes while a show is on air I can totally see it taking a break for a week or two, if not more.
Either way I hope she stays healthy and energetic for many years to come.

Geldboom

Oct 28, 2017
Lots of interesting info.

Even if the show is gonna be next year, I hope they reveal it soon.
Other shows also get announced months before release.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of interesting info.

Even if the show is gonna be next year, I hope they reveal it soon.
Other shows also get announced months before release.
Yeah I brought that up, it would be nice but Toei does like announcing shows closer to release. I guess ultimately it probably depends on what the Dragon Ball Room wants to do with the announcement.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Nozawa is Kureha so she'll live to be at least 140 years old

lemonade

May 8, 2018
I wouldn't be surprised if they have already scouted a successor for Nozawa and Nozawa has been coaching her to possibly take over in the future.

Oct 25, 2017
Nozawa is Kureha so she'll live to be at least 140 years old
tumblr_on1tmySyGH1qa8hrgo6_540.gif

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I always see those comedians who run around and do spot on Nozawa and Horikawa impersonations on Twitter.

You have to figure there are pro voice actors in the industry who can do the same, if not better.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
I always see those comedians who run around and do spot on Nozawa and Horikawa impersonations on Twitter.

You have to figure there are pro voice actors in the industry who can do the same, if not better.
Nozawa's probably got more imitators than Elvis at this point

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Some how DB is up year over year for Bandai in Q1.

Interesting since it was down a bit for Toei overall (despite being up in Japan) due to the lack of any new games.

EDIT: Relevant to a recent discussion.

Last edited:

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
So since Heroes was a bust this time how about some manga wishes/speculation. Since we're leaving Namek and Moro has henchmen I hope this leads to more characters getting involved. Piccolo especially makes a lot of sense, I'm sure he'd want some payback for what they did to Namek.
There was this panel in the last chapter:
unknown.png

And These characters have pretty distinct designs and none of them took part in the battle on Namek, with the exception of the lead dude (Saganbo) who jumped in at the end when the generic prisoners were jobbing. Hopefully these are actual named henchmen in the vein of Zarbon, Dodoria and the Ginyu Force. If more characters get involved it would be nice for them to fight actual named henchmen instead of nameless jobbers. More Namek arc, less F arc.

lol

I've been really enjoying the Moro arc but always in the back of my head I was worried that they would find a gimmick to beat him and it would be over really suddenly with no lasting effect on the overall story. The prisoners being introduced and them being given a power bump with Moro's magic makes me really hopeful that this arc will go on for a while and get more of the gang involved. Also hoping for Vegeta to get some weird techniques from Yardrat, not just the teleport.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I've been really enjoying the Moro arc but always in the back of my head I was worried that they would find a gimmick to beat him and it would be over really suddenly with no lasting effect on the overall story. The prisoners being introduced and them being given a power bump with Moro's magic makes me really hopeful that this arc will go on for a while and get more of the gang involved. Also hoping for Vegeta to get some weird techniques from Yardrat, not just the teleport.
Yeah, I hope that now there there might be a tiny bit of down time while Vegeta is on Yardrat that Goku goes and gets some allies.