• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
EOy0-L4y-VAAA2-Lvx.jpg

Source.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Earth indeed does have Goku.

Goku isn't a "superhero". He just fights for his friends.
And I would like the dubism to not infect the japanese marketing/shows/anything.
It can stay in the dub.

Except even in Japanese, Goku was presented as the 'ultimate hero' to the point Toriyama commented on it after the original manga run. It wasn't just Funi pushing this, they were just more blatant about it.

I mean, it was the Cooler movie where Goku pulled a Jesus.

Geldboom

Oct 28, 2017
Except even in Japanese, Goku was presented as the 'ultimate hero' to the point Toriyama commented on it after the original manga run. It wasn't just Funi pushing this, they were just more blatant about it.

I mean, it was the Cooler movie where Goku pulled a Jesus.

True, Toei also did Goku wrong.
Made him way more heroic.

Geldboom

Oct 28, 2017
What I'm saying, it isn't just Toei either. More heroic Goku is pushed by all corners of Dragon Ball, including the games that Toei has nothing to with. The only exceptions are mediums with Toriyama's direct input.

I get you, but this is just the Japanese marketing of Kakarot using a dub line.
That's gross.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I get you, but this is just the Japanese marketing of Kakarot using a dub line.
That's gross.

The line doesn't even appear in the game, funny enough, since it's based Funi's Kai dub (we even have Sean say 'Son Goku') and the original dub line is like thirty years old and hasn't been used even by Funi in over twenty years.

And as 'gross' as it is, that's generally how Goku is seen in Japan. Helped that one of the most popular versions of Goku in Japan is Xeno Goku who is a superhero time cop who is remarkably similar to Superman Funi Goku.

TLDR: The line may have come from the dub, but the idea behind it is considered true in a lot of Japanese's minds.

Oct 25, 2017
It was krillin when he the mature fighter the veteran adult fighter who wasn't reckless took out somebody than gloated mid tournament

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing he just read that Iyoku interview where he said something along the lines of "If Toriyama says no, then that's the end of the conversation".

Obviously there may be something to that, but I think we just need to wait for the movie to come out first (that we know Toriyama is working on right now), and an anime will follow shortly after. July 2021 baby.

I'll never understand how Toriyama operates, and that weirdness makes Toriyama Toriyama... but boy, I can't believe they didn't have some kind of outline ready for the next story after DBS Broly. Now, we're about to go 2 god damn years without anything new. We're gonna look back at this period and wonder "What the fuck were they thinking?" wasting all that momentum coming off Super and DBS Broly, and of course our voice actors aren't getting any younger either.

OP
OP
ArchedThunder

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing he just read that Iyoku interview where he said something along the lines of "If Toriyama says no, then that's the end of the conversation".

Obviously there may be something to that, but I think we just need to wait for the movie to come out first (that we know Toriyama is working on right now), and an anime will follow shortly after. July 2021 baby.

I'll never understand how Toriyama operates, and that weirdness makes Toriyama Toriyama... but boy, I can't believe they didn't have some kind of outline ready for the next story after DBS Broly. Now, we're about to go 2 god damn years without anything new. We're gonna look back at this period and wonder "What the fuck were they thinking?" wasting all that momentum coming off Super and DBS Broly, and of course our voice actors aren't getting any younger either.
I would still say don't expect a show until 2022 at the earliest. If we get one before then cool, but just don't expect it. At least we do know the movie is coming and that seems like a fairly safe bet for 2021.
I also feel like there is a pretty good chance that when the show comes back it will start with Moro, giving Toriyama even more time.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I would still say don't expect a show until 2022 at the earliest. If we get one before then cool, but just don't expect it. At least we do know the movie is coming and that seems like a fairly safe bet for 2021.
I also feel like there is a pretty good chance that when the show comes back it will start with Moro, giving Toriyama even more time.

Yeah now I'm the optimistic one Arched.

tumblr_o501tmrFcM1v2vapvo5_250.gif

Announcement first half of this year, theatrical release March/April 2021, anime starts July 2021 right after Digimon ends. Lets. GO.

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
Here's the geekdom video if anyone is interested...

I know he's not popular around here, but nothing he said in here is implausible... He just says he talked to someone from Toei while in Japan and was told that DBS won't return until Toriyama submits his outline/script for the series.

May 26, 2018

I know he's not popular around here, but nothing he said in here is implausible... He just says he talked to someone from Toei while in Japan and was told that DBS won't return until Toriyama submits his outline/script for the series.

Wow. I mean, respect to Toriyama for choosing his own pace, but that sucks. Dragon Ball Super, at the end of ToP and Broly, was ready to move on to the next stage of organization and really take off.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

Did that interview said that Toriyama was working on the movie? I only remembered them saying what they want to do with the next movie, not so much that Toriyama himself was working on it.

Was it the same person who insisted that Super would be back in July of 2019 and Geekdom was so sure that he Tweeted 'You will be sorry in May'.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, Geekdom was able to get information out of Toei, but nobody in the Japanese anime press has been able to get a peep.

That makes total sense.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Yes, Geekdom was able to get information out of Toei, but nobody in the Japanese anime press has been able to get a peep.

That makes total sense.

Geekdom does have real sources, but he exaggerates them to the point he looks like an idiot or a liar when wrong.

He should have done what Ajay did: say he was wrong and shut up about it. Instead he has to spin it that he wasn't wrong, but something happened.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Did that interview said that Toriyama was working on the movie? I only remembered them saying what they want to do with the next movie, not so much that Toriyama himself was working on it.

The interview I was referencing was from 2018 I believe, just after DBS Broly was announced.

Toriyama confirmed he was "working on the next work" at Jump Festa in December 2018, and didn't go into any further detail. At the time, because of all the rumors, we thought it was 2Per, but it feels more and more like he was talking about the next movie.

In 2019, another interview with Iyoku was released and he specifically mentioned working on the next DB movie:

We are kinda putting 2 and 2 together here. Toriyama's "next work" he was referring to is probably that movie Iyoku is referring to. Though nothing is 100% confirmed.

Quiksaver

Oct 26, 2017
How to improve Goten

Make him known to the rest of the cast as the lazy Son, since he didn't really do anything by himself so far, let that frustration define him

Get him a haircut that doesn't resemble any of the other characters or even better, give him Ox King's hat as a heirloom and he actually gets to find out more about how that nice dude became a bad ass king in the original DB, something that was never explored

Let him be a dick to all other characters, specially his cosplaying big brother

Give him Joe Joestar like strategy mind tricks to pull off cool moments when the going gets tough

Make him smarter than Trunks who is actually the Harry Osborn of that friendship

Let him be the self referential wild card he was always meant to be

cAG0dJX.gif

Oh also, make him abso-fucking-lutely HATE King Kai for taking his dad away because he won't face obvious facts

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Different direction likely means they won't focus on fighting a villain that's stronger than Broly, instead they will probably focus on the adventure or comedic aspect

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
How to improve Goten

Make him known to the rest of the cast as the lazy Son, since he didn't really do anything by himself so far, let that frustration define him

Get him a haircut that doesn't resemble any of the other characters or even better, give him Ox King's hat as a heirloom and he actually gets to find out more about how that nice dude became a bad ass king in the original DB, something that was never explored

Let him be a dick to all other characters, specially his cosplaying big brother

Give him Joe Joestar like strategy mind tricks to pull off cool moments when the going gets tough

Make him smarter than Trunks who is actually the Harry Osborn of that friendship

Let him be the self referential wild card he was always meant to be

cAG0dJX.gif

Oh also, make him abso-fucking-lutely HATE King Kai for taking his dad away because he won't face obvious facts

+ make him do fortnite dances