• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I've been wanting to make a thread about this for a looooooong time. And now that the anime and manga for Dragon Ball Super have already covered the same arcs I think it's the perfect moment to finally compare them.

-There's going to be open spoilers for Dragon Ball Super from this point on so if you're a dub only viewer please turn around.-

Dragon Ball Super anime had it's fair share of problems but to pretend it didn´t resonate with the Dragon Ball fanbase is just wrong. DBS revived the franchise and rekindled the DB craze to the same level it had back in the 90´s.

Both anime and manga share the same core story as Akira Toriyama writes the most important story beats and character designs on some napkins and then hands them over to both the anime team, and his replacement Mangaka Toyotaro (in)famous writer of the Dragon Ball AF fanmanga. Both teams are free to fill in the blanks regarding what is inbetween point A and B in Toriyama's outline. And then Toriyama checks the final product and gives it the go ahead. (The manga's monthly "promotional piece for the anime" format meant lagging behind the main product.)

Problem is, the manga not only doubles down on many of the anime's problems but also takes away any kind of charm or memoraility from the Super Arcs. And while many fans were eager to defend Toyotaro's ideas his last few months of specially awful chapters made his support drop like a rock.

So why exactly is the Dragon Ball Super manga inferior to the anime? Here's my point by point argument

1. The author's fanboyism for the OG crew at the expense of new characters.

Toyotaro through all the manga does everything in his power to portray every single Z character as an invincible god that the new characters are unworthy of challenging.

This is evident by his tendency to either plainly state that every single antagonist is just not that cool or powerful and that Goku and Vegeta would easily kick their asses if it weren't for X inconvenience OR have the antagonists clowned early on until they become a mild inconvinience due to plot . Don't believe me? Let's take a look

Manga Hit: Beerus states that Goku's Super Saiyan God form is enough to easiy take on Hit, who's not that strong and only beat Vegeta because he was tired form using his Blue form twice. Hit looks to him in desbelief that Goku could be that strong.

Goku proceeds to beat him with God and Later Blue but throws the match because he thinks Hit not being able to kill him with his assassin moves (Already stated to be useless) is boring.

Now let's compare that to how the anime did it.
SpiffyImperturbableIberianlynx-size_restricted.gif

In the anime Goku needs to use Kaioken x10 to match the speed of Hit's timeskip powers, and even then he's only able to gain the upper hand for a little while. Goku throws the match because he knows his body is reaching it's limit, and that Hit is not even going full power due to the Kill limitation. He accepts his defeat.

Manga Goku Black: On their very first encounter with Goku Black, Goku Black states that he's only able to reach Super Saiyan 1. Vegeta mocks him and proceeds to kick his ass for the next 2 or so pages with his Super Saiyan Blue. We even get some lovely shots of Black bitching and crying about being so weak against Vegeta.

After that humilliating performance. He unlocks Super Saiyan Rosé and gets the upper hand...After his very first showing made him look like a total weakling.

The anime had base Black who was stated to be stupidly strong hold his own against Vegeta for a bit, then reveal he was just playing around and proceeds to destroy Vegeta with Rose.

261b40f74191672a8bee30126765ca26.gif

Manga Merged Zamasu: He attacks by throwing really heavy cubes until Goku in Blue just blows half of him with the Beeru´s level Hakai technique....that he learned off screen.

Meanwhile in the Anime he's a Final Fantasy Final Boss.
latest

Manga Kale: As soon as she becomes Legendary Super Saiyan we're told the form is slowly killing her. She wipes out several TOP Universes offscreen but then she's easily subdued by the weakest Pride Troopers, blacks out and is FORCED TO FUSE with Caulifla to try and save her life.

In the anime, her Broly like form is something she needs to own and learn to control. She eventually does and then feels confident enough to fight alongside her best friends Caulifla as an equal (their relationship is non existent in the manga). After being pushed to edge she willingly fuses with Caulifla to face Goku
d7a.gif

Manga Kefla: After her completely offscreen battle with what appears to be base Gohan, she loudly proclaims her inferiority to a mere human and accepts that she's at her limit. She lands one final punch at Gohan and the match ends in a tie.

Anime Kefla:
red-vs-kefla-4.gif

Manga Jiren: Master Roshi dodges Jiren easily to try and show Goku how Ultra Instinct is just the basics of Martial Arts all his masters have been trying to teach him. This is after it's stated Jiren can punch faster than time. This gave birth to the Ultra Instinct Roshi jokes.

Anime Jiren stopped a Spirit Bomb WITH HIS EYES.
6089467-5111320055-60885.gif

Not a single new villain ever poses a real threat to the heroes

2- The AWFUL anatomy of Toyotaro's art. His repepetive poses, terrible composition, busy pages and his tracing from the OG manga.

These 2 videos are a fantastic analisys of the problem. With far more examples than I can post.

3-No Charm or character, just power levels

Toyotaro tries to keep "Consistent" power levels at the expense of characters. Several examples include Trunks doing jackshit in the Future Trunks Arc because his level is low, so Toyotaro makes him a healer that can use his subconcious to heal Goku and Vegeta from the bench while they fight for his home. The Future Trunks arc everybody!

Caulifla and Kale not having any relationship whatosever, Toppo not being obsessed with Hero poses, Piccolo never facing the Universe 6 Namekians and learning about their choice to fuse with half their planet, Gohan never faces the thought of having a man's family much like his own erased for his actions, Kale never learns to control her powers, Vegeta has no feelings for Cabba and the U6 Saiyans, No Roshi fighting to an inch of his life in the TOP....nothing.

The characters just exist to explain their power number. Fight the OG's and lose. Nothing feels exciting, nothing feels dynamic...it's just awful

Overall...I'm incredibly dissapointed to hear Toyotaro is Toriyama's succesor in the writing chair.

Last edited:

EliVilla

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Damn if you can't even best Vegeta then what are you?

Why does he have so much say in what happens?

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
There are some days where I wake up in the morning and go, "I hope I could have as great as an opinion as Fj0823." Awesome thread man.

Here are my takes on it.

I do like that there's a version of Super that is almost completely different in terms of how it handles the plot, and it's interesting to see how great the differences can be at times, and I'm glad there is a version for people who don't like the anime, but the stuff the manga does differently just seems so fucking dumb to me.

Roshi vs. Ganos with the final Kamehameha is one of the most emotional moments in the DB series, while the Roshi vs. Jiren fight is the biggest joke in the series.
The Galick Gun, the Father/ Son Kamehameha, and the UI Kamehameha are 3 iconic moments n Super that aren't in the manga.
The manga doesn't have important character moments, like all of Gohan's pre ToP scenes, Gohan getting Ultimate, Goku meeting Frieza in hell, and their fight with the assassins, Buu gets entirely shafted, made Caulifla a lame as fuck character, actually, we can replace that with every non U7 character looking lame as fuck, and the pride troopers were made to look like more of a bunch of weaklings that the anime did.

Plot points that make no fucking sense. Like Frieza eliminating U7 fighters when he was planning on double crossing Frost the whole time. I don't care if they're weak humans, when winning by numbers is a viable way to win, or you can use the humans as meat shields, it makes no sense to eliminate them just to double cross someone weaker than you. The anime fucked that up as well, but at least you can buy it as Frieza playing around with Gohan, since he doesn't fucking eliminate him, and he doesn't get beat up that badly. Goku knowing the Hakai, and it never coming up again after it's use, Roshi dodging Jiren, I mentioned it earlier, but I'm sorry, it makes no fucking sense. Everyone getting their shit kicked in my Kale, but then Gohan is on par with Kefla, making everyone, including Kefla look fucking lame, instead of making Gohan look cool, because we dont' have a comparison to Gohan's strength, since we didn't see him in the fucking manga before the ToP, besides him training in the gravity room. Great, I was hoping Resurrection Cell was after the FT arc. That's the only one Gohan is going to beat after training in the Gravity Room.

The issue is that the GoD's fighting wasn't worth what the manga cut, which was the whole exhibition, which many love.

Buu's only major fight in Super. (Slim Buu vs. Goku is fun)
Gohan's return to getting back into fighting (Gohan fucking won that fight against Lavender though,. Fuck GP)
Showing 3 new fighters from another universe that had special abilities, showing that the arc wouldn't just be about power levels (Yeah I know it turned into only power levels mattering)

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It was to be expected, Evangelion is like the only manga based on an existing anime that wasnt awful

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I liked the way that it ended the Zamasu arc and how Kale wasn't annoying in it, but yeah, everything else sucked.

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
😏
roshi flexing on jiren was pretty dope tho

but yeah, the rest of the manga pales in comparison to the anime. especially 18's characterization in the manga, ooooof

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
The manga doesn't ever even have Goku use Kaioken in SSB.
It has a "Not Kaioken" moment in the last few chapters

It's stated to work exactly like Kaioken Blue....but it's not Kaioken because look at me I´m different from the anime!, the power is not even named or used again after 2 panels

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Yikes, the manga sounds like pure fanwank. Plus there was the whole tracing thing...

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
In regards to the Kaioken, the SSBKK was an idea Toei came up with, so Toyotaro might not actually be allowed to use it. Doesn't excuse what he did instead being so bad, of course.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Is the manga going to end with the Tournament of Power too or is it going to keep going?

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
Caulifla, Kale and Hit in the ToP anger me the most if I'm being honest. And I'm not even a huge Hit fan.

Caulifla: What is wrong with her? I can't tell she even exists in the manga. The first time we see Caulifla, she doesn't think her sister can handle the ToP. Now, that's already a bad route to go with her character, compared to the anime, where it was Caulifla's idea to have Kale enter the tournament as well. But guess what makes this a laughable decision? Kale isn't the shy girl at the beginning like we knew in the anime. She has a strong ass base that fucks up several characters. So Caulifla doesn't think a badass like Kale can handle the tournament? I know the manga says Kale his her powers from Caulifla or whatever, but I just never bought that. I spent a whole lot of time talking about Kale, because that's all there is to Caulifla's character. She is Kale's hype woman. And she gets SSJ offscreen. Which is Toyo cutting out something from the outline btw. The tingly back is in Toriyama's canon. But instead of Toyo addressing how Caulifla gets SSJ, he just chooses to ignore it, not to mention not even giving her SSJ2. People love this because she didn't learn SSJ thorugh tingly back, but she still learned it in the same amount of time she learned it in the anime, we jsut don't know how she got it. That's better how? That's all I have to say about Caulifla. Compare that to the smart fighter who gradually progressed as a martial artist, learning new skills, and adjusting to Goku's various attacks that still trip up smart fighters like Gohan. She also can strategize, and works really well in a team. We also see her develop as a character, as she gains respect for Hit, Goku, and she even blames herself for Cabba being eliminated.

Kale: Made to be cool for a few chapters, but once the tournament starts, her power scaling is so fucking inconsistent, and she doesn't develop at all. Hate her for being female Broly all you want. The anime starts her out as female Broly, who turns into her own character. This is how you do the Broly character right. They are not defined as that character by the end of the arc. At the end of hte arc, Kale is more confident, she has her own form (2 forms that aren't Berserk actually), and the wins she got felt right, as I will defend until the end of time that 101 is a great episode, and a direct comparison to what the manga does wrong. 101 focuses mainly on the U6 girls, taking a backseat from the U7 cast. Something 104 actually does as well, until Goku shows up and ruins it, and even Cabba has his own episode in 112. Compare that to Toyo, who would never take that time away from the OG's, to give another universe their time to shine. The manga starts her off as her own character, who turns into female Broly. She regresses as an interesting character.

Hit: In the ToP manga, Hit is made into a joke when he fights Jiren. In the anime, Hit actually gets close to eliminating Jiren, and we see Hit develop as a character, as for hte first time ever, he's relying on his team to help him. He knows he's probably going to lose, so he asks the U6 saiyans to carry on the fight. We also see Hit offer good support, saving Kale once. Goku doesn't help because he's too weak after exhausting himself from UI, and the U6 saiyans know they're too weak to be any help, especially after Kale and Caulifla took a beating recently against the pride troopers. Compare that to the manga, where Hit gets his ass beat by Jiren, doesn't come close to eliminating him, and Goku intervenes, only to realize that if he fought Jiren on his own without Hit's help, he'd be able to get stronger. So he bounces, leaving Hit to fight on his own again. That is such bad characterization for Goku, at Hit's expense. Imagine if versus Raditz, Goku told Piccolo he was going to let him fight Raditz first, refuse to help him while he charges the special beam cannon, and he tells Piccolo he's doing this so he can get stronger. That is the equivalent to what Goku just did.

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
Is the manga going to end with the Tournament of Power too or is it going to keep going?
The new manga arc after ToP has already been confirmed, and starts in December. Toyo will not be adapting the Broly movie. Instead,
next arc is an arc featuring the Galactic Patrol, as they kidnap Buu, Goku and Vegeta, so they can talk to the Daikaioshin inside Buu, to find out where the criminal is they're looking for.

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
In regards to the Kaioken, the SSBKK was an idea Toei came up with, so Toyotaro might not actually be allowed to use it. Doesn't excuse what he did instead being so bad, of course.
Doesn't really make sense when it's a safe bet that Aniraza was also a Toei idea, and I would assume Kefla and incomplete UI was as well, yet the manga "uses" both of them. Not Kaioken and Not Cabba Instinct is a really shitty substitute.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Toyotaro managed to lower the bar in ways we thought impossible.

Like this is literally the death of art that we are contemplating.

A shallow and soulless version of something we love, unappealing visually and nauseating through its mediocrity.

I have never seen worse story telling in my life. And this is not a hyperbole, I literally can't think of anything else that was this poor. Professionally I mean.

Amazing.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Roshi: "Goku just dodge like me!"
Goku: K *Flips UI on for the first time with zero effort*

:I

Honestly, what bugs me the most about all the love the OG cast got still somehow manages to pale to what they got in the anime. Which is saying something when Roshi went pseudo UI on Jiren. And you have to be the biggest Gohan stan to be genuinely satisfied with the Kafla fight when you don't even get to see the majority of it. Also... that fight alone makes me never hear over how the manga does power levels well enough. Like Kale was killing it out there in her Berserk form, only to become even stronger as Kafla. Yet she tied with Gohan. So that means that Gohan could've cleaned house whenever he wanted to, but just chose not to. Very weird.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I think the manga is bad, but it does a serviceable job of creating cool "what if" scenarios like the ones you'd have in a videogame adaptation of a manga or anime. I read every chapter with as much investment as I do watching one of those story mode short scenes from FighterZ, so I can't even muster up the energy to be mad at its many failings.

And some of those different scenarios are fun. I really liked the manga's version of the pre-tournament tournament, for example.

Quiksaver

Oct 26, 2017
Manga Goku Black: On their very first encounter with Goku Black, Goku Black states that he's only able to reach Super Saiyan 1. Vegeta mocks him and proceeds to kick his ass for the next 2 or so pages with his Super Saiyan Blue. We even get some lovely shots of Black bitching and crying about being so weak against Vegeta.
Sold! Where can I buy Toyotaro's Super manga!?

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Still haven't read most of this arc yet but I think the rest of the manga has been pretty enjoyable, with the black arc in particluar being better to me. I doubt I'd have as much of a negative impresison about this arc as you, though I'm sure I'll find it overall sloppy anyway. (As I found the anime version to be to some extent)

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
17: "I'mma self-destruct in order to help us win this thing and save"

18: "k"

I'm really hoping that she knew he was alive...
In theory, she should have known that 17 doesn't have his bomb anymore, so he couldn't blow up. But then again anyone with Ki can blow themselves up.

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
in the end it was a reflection of both bad product. Super is not a good series.
Disagree personally.
Future Trunks arc has one of the best stories and pacing in DB.
ToP is the best use of the extended cast since the Android saga.

BoG revived the series (movie which is a product of Z, so not sure if it counts)
RoF used the return of a familiar and popular character to keep the momentum going (Again, a product of Z, so not sure if it counts)
BoG arc is still really good, but RoF arc is shit. U6 tournament has a slow start, with no real stakes.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Haven't read the last few chapters of the Manga.

To me, the ToP arc was totally shit in the the manga. Throwing away Kefla's character in one chapter, having the ass pull of the century by having Roshi dodging Jiren's attack and completely wasting Toppo and many cool supporting characters.

I actually liked the Future Trunks arc in the manga. The red for speed, blue for power thing was neat and I felt like the multiple fused Zamasu was way better than the green cloud in the anime.

in the end it was a reflection of both bad product. Super is not a good series.

Stop.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
So Toriyama is not going to be doing the anime after Broly? Or are y'all just seeing that manha will still have the trash writer? As long as Toriyama is heading the anime after the Broly, I'm good.

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
We've been saying the manga was shit for months. Yet ppl were defending it like crazy.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
So Toriyama is not going to be doing the anime after Broly? Or are y'all just seeing that manha will still have the trash writer? As long as Toriyama is heading the anime after the Broly, I'm good.

He has been giving general story guideline to both Toei and Toyotaro. Then it's up to Toei and Toyotaro to adapt his story into anime and manga.

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
Toriyama never headed the anime. The closest he came to heading it was with BoG and RoF since they are direct retellings of the arc and therefore follow his storytelling. The anime is done by Toei and the Dragon Room. The manga is done by Toyotaro. Both the anime and manga go off of Toriyama's vague outline.

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
😏
haha oh shit

forgot about what they did to kefla in the manga. ayo, that shit was dirty. she got knocked out off panel too, iirc

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I felt like the multiple fused Zamasu was way better than the green cloud in the anime.

I can't agree. Wasn't very interesting, and it led to Zamasu going out out in such a lame way, running with his tail between his legs. Whereas the cloud thing was this totally unexpected ominous thing that was gonna cover the entire universe and couldn't be dealt with through physical means. That was a far better justification for Zeno wiping out that timeline.

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
haha oh shit

forgot about what they did to kefla in the manga. ayo, that shit was dirty. she got knocked out off panel too, iirc
Knocked out off panel and flat out says that she can't compare to the OG's.

I didn't realize Kale fused with a piece of wood.

Quiksaver

Oct 26, 2017
Toriyama never headed the anime. The closest he came to heading it was with BoG and RoF since they are direct retellings of the arc and therefore follow his storytelling. The anime is done by Toei and the Dragon Room. The manga is done by Toyotaro. Both the anime and manga go off of Toriyama's vague outline.
So let's get to the core of this debate. Do you think the Galactic Patrol arc is going to be a strictly manga arc or will it be the next DBS anime arc?
Do you think it came from Toyotaro or Toriyama?