• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Manga Jiren: Master Roshi dodges Jiren easily to try and show Goku how Ultra Instinct is just the basics of Martial Arts all his masters have been trying to teach him. This is after it's stated Jiren can punch faster than time. This gave birth to the Ultra Instinct Roshi jokes.
That's a better explanation than "hey wow, Goku's doing this silvery-hair thing that hasn't been foreshadowed a single time before this, but we're all acting as if we've known it forever" bullshit they did in the DBS anime. Roshi needs more love.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
- Toyotaro is kinda struggling for time here. He gets...what, sixty pages a month? Barely three chapters. He wanted to get to the next thing. Plus frankly, I'm fine with Kale wrecking other universes--Universe 7 did WAY too much in the anime. And her beating someone who tried to match her in power but getting wrecked by people who had good teamwork? That's cool.
- That's not new at all, fam. The major weakness of Super Saiyan was that it drained too much energy, so while Goku was in the Time Chamber he practiced SSJ until he figured out how to master it, lessening the amount of ki it used up so he could draw on greater reserves in battle. He surpassed Vegeta in that instance. Vegeta just learned from his loss and Goku's training.
- Look, ya'll are fine with Krillin going head to head with SSBlue Goku. Ya'll say "Well he wasn't fighting seriously". Well shit, Jiren wasn't really fighting Roshi seriously. As soon as he was, he knocked Roshi out with one hit because his pale imitation of Ultra Instinct was decidedly not Ultra Instinct. Plus there was a pretty sweet moment that came from him getting eliminated. You might not have liked it, but "I'm Son Goku of the Turtle School" actually really connected with me.
- You're asking me to defend the ToP which I already said I have problems with, and haven't even finished yet. Was it BASE Gohan or was it "Mystic" Gohan, which is now (for some stupid reason) a power up?

And no one's stated a "number" in the Super manga...literally ever, man. They explain why characters can do what they do, but you're acting like the dialogue is literally "Goku's powerlevel went up from a billion to one point two billion. There's no chance he loses now."

- That's a hell of an excuse.

- Well if only we were shown any kind of training like in Z there wouldn't be a problem. There wasn't.

-Why is Krillin goes toe to toe with Blue a thing?

The scene is right here

The dialogue and the meaning of the scene is very fucking clear.

How can anyone be so dense to not get that Goku is testing Krillin? Is character interactions really that hard?

How in the world is that going toe to toe?

That's a better explanation than "hey wow, Goku's doing this silvery-hair thing that hasn't been foreshadowed a single time before this, but we're all acting as if we've known it forever" bullshit they did in the DBS anime. Roshi needs more love.

This is how you give Roshi love without making your new threat look like a joke.

Look. Character and Emotion. Not just power numbers.

Roshi saying Goku is a bad student after Goku has been portrayed as a genius who dominated all of his Masters lessons and has been constantly praised for it is just dumb.

Last edited:

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017

It was foreshadowed. Twice.

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Ball Multiverse is the true sequel of DB and not that Super garbage.
hqdefault.jpg

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I'm very surprised about people defending this manga, I might even need a certain reaction shot
eOpxmoF.jpg

GWc3Tf3.jpg

Might also need the reaction pose to fully convey my surprise
unknown.png

"!" :O

Village

Oct 25, 2017
toyotaro dont get like how like , how basic story structure works

So you iused the veggie example, but in the anime, Veggie comes back and beats the cold shit out of rose

And in TOP Veggie is like the best characters, it works because after a defeat vegeta got stonger and beat some ass

But if you are so busy jerking your nostalgia boner all the time you can't really appreciate those moments because you are trying to make that character cool all the time

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Super manga has been trash from the start. It has some decent things, like the stipulations about Blue's usage which I like since it puts some limitations on such a powerful form that keeps them from being too godly, but overall, it's a mess. Dragon Ball Mutliverse is significantly better than the manga.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Uh the manga is better than the super anime. So much more concise.

yeah, that part where the legendary super saiyan wiped out 4 universes without a single nod to their characters but then was stopped by some ropes was so concise.

Or that part about Goku learning a God of Destruction level technique he never saw...completely offscreen, consistency at its finest

What about Vegeta losing to Hit because Blue took 90% of his strength after he uses it more than once....but then he starts switching over and over between God and Blue without breaking a sweat as his secret move to beat Black?

Or that time where they say that "perfected Blue" is the most powerful version of blue because it doesnt leak the blue fire....but then they never use it again and instead they power up to fight Jiren by getting a bigger aura?

Consistency thy name is Super Manga

Jinroh

Oct 28, 2017
Lausanne, Switzerland
You guys are being mean to the manga. Personally I think it was fine until the end of Black's arc, fused Zamasu was just too lame and too weak, and I didn't like when he started to clone himself.

The tournament of Power was indeed rushed and could have been way better I agree. But I don't think he had a say in its length, and its anime counterpart dragged for way too long.

The best part of super is the end of the TOP arc, it's DBZ at its best and the manga completely screws it up. Overall I still find it very enjoyable to read, and the art style could be much worse (the super dragon ball heroes manga murdered my eyes).

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Literally the only good idea I've seen from the Manga is when Goten, Trunks, and Maron find some Cell Jr's in a cave on the island they're watching. It's a neat throwback and opens the door to some unique story beats that they'll never touch on again.

Cell made more Cell Jr's off screen?! What in the fuck??!

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Cell made more Cell Jr's off screen?! What in the fuck??!

No. In the Super manga they survived by regeneration. And without their father they wandered around until 17 found them and kept them in his island

Taking away part of Gohan's best moment in the process...

But the chapter is undeniably charming

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
But... I mean... it didn't even take Cell that long to regenerate, but yet every Z Fighter missed the Cell Jrs regenerating for as long as they were fighting against Cell and in that battlefield?

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The manga is pretty bad but it's not like the "proper" version of super is all that much better. I was mostly just baffled that they got to take another crack at these stories and just fucked it up in new ways.

Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy how many people were on the "DBS manga is much better than the anime" train.

The mangas had its ups and downs - but it's been trash ever since they had Goku pull a hakai out of his ass despite it a) being not only a god level tech, but one innate to a very specific type of god, and b) him never having even seen it.

I thought that was the low point, ...only to find out about Roshi of all people somehow being able to use out skill Jiren.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
That fight between all the gods of destruction was the only thing I've enjoyed in the Super manga thus far. Seeing how Hit was handled, it looks like it's going to stay that way...

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
That fight between all the gods of destruction was the only thing I've enjoyed in the Super manga thus far. Seeing how Hit was handled, it looks like it's going to stay that way...
Everything involving Hit in ToP was just pure trash in comparison to the anime. I don't see how anyone can look at the fight in the manga and say that anything Toyotaro has done is anywhere near as good as the anime.

That shit was worse than Xicor.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
the sheer disrespect that Toyotaro shows to new characters means his version is worse by default

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The manga is a very mixed bag, but it's not absolute trash. It really suffered from the fast-forwarded pacing, though (even if the anime ToP suffered from rather slow pacing by comparison, I mean, for God's sake, the whole thing was supposed to be 48 minutes and it takes up 34 episodes, but I guess that's anime time expansion for ya). That being said, I do at least appreciate that the ToP in the manga actually feels like a battle royale and not "Team U7 takes out half the competitors". (I'm being hyperbolic, yes, but it certainly feels like it.)

The Roshi scene isn't even remotely that egregious, all he really does is dodge, and gets away with it because Jiren isn't taking him seriously. Once Jiren goes "huh, that was a thing", he just casually one-shots him. Goku finally figuring out what Roshi and Whis were on about with the art of self-movement and giving it a serious try is frankly way better than Goku somehow achieving that state of mind because a spirit bomb black hole blew up in his face.

And even if it was mostly off-panel, I do appreciate that my boy Gohan went out via mutual KO against the second-strongest non-U7 fighter in the tournament, who SSB Goku couldn't beat in the anime.

Though, frankly, both the manga and anime have significant issues. I wouldn't have done it the way either of them did Super.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, I'd say that that Toriyama shares as much blame for the problems with the manga as Toyotaro.
In the Japanese manga volumes, Toyotaro comments on how Toriyama would look over his pencils, redraw panels / characters or even edit the dialogue.

-- Edit --
Added an example from end of Japanese volume 7

Last edited:

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
- That's a hell of an excuse.

- Well if only we were shown any kind of training like in Z there wouldn't be a problem. There wasn't.

-Why is Krillin goes toe to toe with Blue a thing?

The scene is right here

The dialogue and the meaning of the scene is very fucking clear.

How can anyone be so dense to not get that Goku is testing Krillin? Is character interactions really that hard?

How in the world is that going toe to toe?

Why would Goku need to power up to his most powerful form to "test" Krillin, if even you agree that it's absurd to even entertain the thought that Krillin would be anywhere near Goku?

As early as Resurrection F.

This is a really, really dumb way to attempt to close a power level gap by non power level related means.

Roshi d-dodged Jiren?

What in the ever loving fuck

It's amazing how this series keeps getting worse and worse the more I hear about it.

Not gonna lie, if Freeza looked like that instead of his garbage Golden Freeza form, I would have been able to accept his bullshit power up marginally a bit more.

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
Why would Goku need to power up to his most powerful form to "test" Krillin, if even you agree that it's absurd to even entertain the thought that Krillin would be anywhere near Goku?

This is a really, really dumb way to attempt to close a power level gap by non power level related means.
It's an incredibly difficult technique that not even the GoDs have been able to master. It does involve a power level because just not anything is supposed to be able to use it. It is a God level technique.

It's amazing how this series keeps getting worse and worse the more I hear about it.

Well, this is a manga thing. It never even close to happens in the anime. It's definitely one of the lowest points in the manga too.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Because earlier the series makes a point about Krillin being insecure/afraid to ever fight agains due to his lack of power. What is character development?

Krillin even Freezes a little when he sees Goku at full power,before getting over it and fighting till the end...that was the freaking point.

Also thanks for letting us know you haven't watched the show. I can now ignore your arguments.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Actually, I like the manga more. The anime is way to over done and pretentious. The anime feels like a shonen soap opera. The manga is much more down to earth. To wit; "Infinite Zamasu" was ridiculously dumb and non-sensical in the anime.

The issue with the manga is that it's rushed. The pacing is poor and needs to slow down a bit. (For example, in the latest chapeter, 42, the entire Super Shenron wish is like three panels!)