• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
The boxart is worse than my already low expectation...

I just don't get the PR with this game. Why is the subtitle Kakarot? Why so much focus on Goku when:

1. The game doesn't seem to cover kid Goku days
2. You get to play as other characters during the game.

So far I don't see what's so special about this game bringing Goku's story to life other than some ordiginally life thing you do in-between like fishing and driving we have seen so far.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I knew this motif looked familiar.
Eh at least the atari artist and i were like minded... it's a manga franchise, it's important to have manga reference xD
Though notice how pretentiously i put in the discarded original design of Goku on the bottom left, sneaky me ;)
Or how i aligned the The End draft with Goku's face on top of it, because i hope we go from beginning to end with it (didn't want to follow the time span covered in the game so i don't know if the game stops halfway through).

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Yeah that is not good cover art, oof. Doesn't look even a little bit like the OG Toriyama art. Also that shadow and the orange background. This is amateur hour lol

Is it supposed to look like the OG Toriyama art? Looks like Yamamuro, who's been the character designer for anime-adjacent material since the mid 90s.

Dragon-Ball-Super-Character-Design-Goku.jpg

(I don't think his modern art is great but the point still stands.)

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it supposed to look like the OG Toriyama art? Looks like Yamamuro, who's been the character designer for anime-adjacent material since the mid 90s.

Dragon-Ball-Super-Character-Design-Goku.jpg

(I don't think his modern art is great but the point still stands.)
I don't know man, all I know is it doesn't look like the early DBZ period it's based on at all and I don't like this style.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I don't know man, all I know is it doesn't look like the early DBZ period it's based on at all and I don't like this style.

In all fairness, basically all the DBZ games have the same homogenous Yamamuro art style regardless of the era it's based on.

It would be great to get a DBZ game that calls back to Minoru Maeda's style though.

17a3fabd3817c5d79ef9595dfcf61f69138c6d8fr1-1200-436v2_hq.jpg

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017

I just don't get the PR with this game. Why is the subtitle Kakarot? Why so much focus on Goku when:

So far I don't see what's so special about this game bringing Goku's story to life other than some ordiginally life thing you do in-between like fishing and driving we have seen so far.

When I was younger and in love with DBZ, I've always wanted a DBZ open world game where you can just explore and stuffs. But these days, I'm starting to realize the world of Dragon Ball Z is just not that interesting. DBZ doesn't do a great job in building its world (OG Dragon Ball actually did it far better), there's nothing really interesting out there, unless they're referencing a lot of people and locale from DB which they might, but then why not just make a DB game at that point. A DBZ game with emphasis on exploration is just meh as a result.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly don't mind the cover. It's nice and clean, and probably the part of the game I have least problems with :P

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It would be cool if they made the cover like one of the Japanese manga covers with the font and aesthetics but this one is nice and clean. Most of the older game cover art was either too busy or just reusing old art that looked poorly slapped together.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I like it, it may be boring but it's not terrible
It's identical to Spiderman PS4, some people are just biased

Last edited:

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
I like it, seriously...

It's not bad at all and same with the spider man cover which I thought was good.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
So, why is it bad? Is it because it's simple or the art itself is bad (which, IMO, it's not)?

I really don't get this take. Feel free to hate it, by all means, but to me it looks good. Much rather this than the FighterZ covers for example.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
So, why is it bad? Is it because it's simple or the art itself is bad (which, IMO, it's not)?

I really don't get this take. Feel free to hate it, by all means, but to me it looks good. Much rather this than the FighterZ covers for example.

For me it's the specular highlights on his skin and hair (more generally, the yamamuro style in general) and the fact that the shadow makes little sense (is he flying next to a giant orange banner?)

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
For me it's the specular highlights on his skin and hair (more generally, the yamamuro style in general) and the fact that the shadow makes little sense (is he flying next to a giant orange banner?)
Orange overkill has a simple reason, best said by TFS:

---

The shadow seems like an extra detail that doesn't make much sense, but I kind like the orange highlights tbh. Then again I'm a sucker for very simplistic covers... and since I don't dislike this piece of art (Yamamuro has produced much worse for the actual shows >.>) it works really well for me.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looks great and it's the first game with the full DBZ story i am going to play so i am very hyped

Naudyboy

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 6, 2019
Looks great and it's the first game with the full DBZ story i am going to play so i am very hyped

Me and you both, I've seen picture of SSJ3 Goku versus Kid Buu and Gohan in his supreme Kai outfit but I can't find them anymore. Those are also new.

Game is shaping up to be interesting.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I guess there's no hype for this on the forum, if it wasn't for Facebook I wouldn't have known they've released new images.

A lot of us have been silently following the game and just not posting I guess?

The more I see the more I like though...when you think about it, it's been a while since there's been a legitimate single player DBZ game that doesn't hinge on the multiplayer aspect. I may get this on PC.

Oct 25, 2017

I said what I said. That cover isn't screaming "I'm an open world Goku header game." That's the type of cover you see on backpacks sold at Walmart. It looks cheap.

Dead ass, it looks like it apart of a character collection. So Vegeta would have a blue background in his Saiyan armor with his arms crossed looking straight. I can see it 😂🤣

Goron2000

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's with the new style art that always has Goku with Orange or Red highlights on his hair? I think it's really ugly.

Naudyboy

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 6, 2019
Woot: Kakarot seems to be IGN's game of the month regarding their IGN first.

As much as I want this game because it's the entire collection of DBZ, these 10 min fights look boring as heck. And I'm not a fan of a 10-20 minute single fight.l; Especially if you end up losing towards the end of the fight and you have to start it all over again. But it is true to the DBZ anime I guess. I need some more impressions on the game, especially the out of battle activities.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I don't get the fuss. The cover looks fine. Its pretty simple, but that's why i like it. Cover art doesn't always need to be so dramatic or over the top to be good.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Woot: Kakarot seems to be IGN's game of the month regarding their IGN first.

As much as I want this game because it's the entire collection of DBZ, these 10 min fights look boring as heck. And I'm not a fan of a 10-20 minute single fight.l; Especially if you end up losing towards the end of the fight and you have to start it all over again. But it is true to the DBZ anime I guess. I need some more impressions on the game, especially the out of battle activities.

I would have been so all over this game 20 years ago. Still planning to get it.

Last edited:

Naudyboy

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 6, 2019
I would have been so all over this game 20 years ago.

The last video on that page is a trailer focusing on support and playable characters, it actually shows the game has some dept. They should of started with that video. We got to see young Gohan and his sword which look playable. Stuff like that is what's going to make this game interesting. The combat on its own looks somewhat dull.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
ITT: minimalist covers being called awful.

I mean... it's about Goku. It's Goku. It's an arguably better cover than FZ if only because FZ is truly messy as hell. This is just... the character it's about.

Dec 25, 2018
I really don't get how some people can spend years and years or have years of experience in graphic design and put out a design like this.

Canuckreefer

Banned
Oct 10, 2019

1. Because Kid Goku was never known as Kakarot?
2. which is great but they all are here because of who? Kakarot.
Anyways its a nice cover anyone that is influenced by that cover and not the nice gameplay we seen
Just wow lol