• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a pretty decent way to watch the Z series quickly as it trims out the filler and fluff. I've also heard the new dub for Kai is far superior to the original English dub done years ago, so if you're watching in English that would probably be the better version. You still might be lost on a bunch of characters from original DB but you should be able to catch on. The unfortunate thing with it is that it has a lot of scenes that were digitally redone and they quite frankly look horrible in comparison to the original animation cels and also stick out sandwiched between them.
Thanks, I'm on episode 13 and though I do notice the scenes that were digitally redone, they don't bother me.
TL;DR: If you want my honest opinion, don't skip OG Dragon Ball. Start there (watch Episode 1-9, 11-28, 34-41, 43, 46-78, 84-126, 133-148 ), and then continue with to Kai. Progression has always been a part of Goku's character, and dismissing OG Dragon Ball would be a disservice to see his struggle and growth.

Long-Version: Dragon Ball Z Kai's core difference from the original DBZ anime, is Kai lacks the anime filler content and stops at the end of the Cell saga (which is where the original author Akira Toriyama wanted to end DBZ in the first place). It also starts at the beginning of the Saiyan Saga and doesn't include anything from Dragon Ball, which is the story of Goku as a child and how he meets Bulma & starts his journey as a martial artist.

Kai is more faithful to the manga than the original anime was. In some cases though, this could affect how some see the development of several key characters. In the original DBZ anime, one of the most touching moments is Gohan surviving alone in the wilderness, & the challenges and events he faces all influence the person he becomes later on. Much of this was cut in Kai, and unless you've already seen DBZ, it might seem a little jarring to see Gohan jump from a wimpy crybaby to a competent, compassionate person. You'll also miss out on some of the funnier filler episodes, such as the infamous episode where Goku and Piccolo are forced by Chi-Chi to get their drivers license.

Basically, you can't go wrong with watching Kai if you want a 1:1 adaptation of the manga without the fluff. But I would start with OG Dragon Ball and then watch Kai.

EDIT: I forgot to add, OG Dragon Ball is very reminiscent of 1970's Hong Kong Action-Comedy Martial Arts movies & its more of a fun, Journey to the West-inspired adventure story where Goku and co. meet one weirdo after another until King Piccolo enters the picture. DBZ (and Kai) are more akin to a Shonen Battle Manga with a sprinkle of Science Fiction across the board. Both have their fair-share of crass humour & casual sexual harassment jokes, but that was the nature of the series being a manga made for publication for boys in Japan during the 1980's.
I'm starting with Kai and if I enjoy the series as a whole, I might go back and watch OG Dragon Ball.
It would be unfair to call Kai a 1.1 adaptation of the manga since it basically skips 50% of the manga material.

Don't start with Kai until you have either watched OG DB or read up until chapter 195 of the DB manga. Kai is alright overall but not a good starting point at all.
Too late. LOL I've already started Kai so I might as well finish it.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Dan Dan Kokoro Hikarateku is good

You know, I can't tell if most of you guys are being sarcastic about GT or not. Just be honest and don't make me decipher cryptic shit. :/

I'm starting with Kai and if I enjoy the series as a whole, I might go back and watch OG Dragon Ball.

I'm glad to hear you are enjoying DB Kai so far, and I hope you enjoy the future Saga's going forward. But please don't dismiss OG Dragon Ball, as it's legitimately great. It bums me that a lot of people either overlook or dismiss it, just because it lacks the spectacle of what comes afterward.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
can someone explain the combat system to me?
I totally lost.
just lost to Radiz with Goku while Piccolo was sharging up his attack.

I don't really know how much HP I have and how much the enemies have?
there more than one HP-Bar?
what is the flame thingy on the right?
why am I always out of breath after a few attacks? is there some stamina bar?
how do you do stun damage? only did like 2, or 3% to Raddiz' Stun-Bar.

when it is safe to attack? how do you see, when you need to block? when the enemies is doing an attack.
how do you avoid attacks? can you also go up and down to avoid stuff?

how do you combo? especially with your special attacks? my Kamehameha is always missing.

etc.

like I said, I'm totally lost. :D

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad to hear you are enjoying DB Kai so far, and I hope you enjoy the future Saga's going forward. But please don't dismiss OG Dragon Ball, as it's legitimately great. It bums me that a lot of people either overlook or dismiss it, just because it lacks the spectacle of what comes afterward.
Yeah, despite being an anime fan since the 90's where it was known as Japanimation my friends in the 2000's were big DBZ fans and told me I would like it, but for some reason I just was disinterested in it. I don't know if it was the art style or what, but watching it now is making me hype to buy this game and play it once I finish watching DBZ Kai.

Omegabalmung

Nov 4, 2017
I wonder if the side quest for the missing tail is glitched? I have to talk to Vegeta but the only thing there is the lvl 50 vegeta i have to fight lol

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
when people say the production falls apart after frieza do they mean that the story just zooms along, or is it still the same pace and the presentation isn't as good?

I'm in the middle of the cell arc and I would say the latter.
Pacing is roughly the same with the storytelling shortcuts they take but less cutscenes, more standing and talking.

Stone Cold

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the middle of the cell arc and I would say the latter.
Pacing is roughly the same with the storytelling shortcuts they take but less cutscenes, more standing and talking.
Ah, kind of a bummer but makes sense when you consider the time it took to develop the game and the budget. Haven't made the plunge yet myself, would you say it's a worthwhile experience for someone who was a fan as a kid?

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
when people say the production falls apart after frieza do they mean that the story just zooms along, or is it still the same pace and the presentation isn't as good?

It's a mix of both. Once you wrap the Frieza stuff up you have 24 of 36 of the really good looking scenes, so there's 12 split across the rest of the game.

But there's also less cutscenes and some weird omissions. Like you fight Android 19 as Vegeta as you'd expect, but the scene after is him killing him with Big Bang Attack without having the scene of him intentionally getting grabbed to rip the arms off (which is the only reason he even can use that attack to kill him).

It's still solid though. There's so many characters and outfit swaps that they hit, it really puts it in perspective how much work it was to cover the whole series like this on their first go.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
Weird bug, I have the profile for Ultimate Gohan unlocked in the encyclopedia despite not even being near his appearance, much less the Buu Saga in general.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Ah, kind of a bummer but makes sense when you consider the time it took to develop the game and the budget. Haven't made the plunge yet myself, would you say it's a worthwhile experience for someone who was a fan as a kid?

Absolutely. It's definetly not the most polished game out there and as an open world RPG it's not on par with the "industry AAA standard" so to speak, but it really is a love letter to the source material and it shows.
For example, I'm still impressed with how many different outfits each character has, sometimes down to fully modeled and very specific damage to the clothes that only appear in one specific part of the game (or show for that matter).

It's a bit like Terminator Resistance where you can add at least 2 points to the score if you are a fan, simply because it's wish fulfillment in the most positive sense.
The battle system is not the deepest out there, but it manages to feel very much like DBZ and is second only to fighter in capturing the look and feel of the fights in the anime.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does the game ever get harder? It's a blast so far but its also ridiculously easy lol. Ive never gotten anything below A and thats when I screw up really hard. Never lost a fight.
EO6sm_HXUAIy92j

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
can someone explain the combat system to me?
I totally lost.
just lost to Radiz with Goku while Piccolo was sharging up his attack.

I don't really know how much HP I have and how much the enemies have?
there more than one HP-Bar?
what is the flame thingy on the right?
why am I always out of breath after a few attacks? is there some stamina bar?
how do you do stun damage? only did like 2, or 3% to Raddiz' Stun-Bar.

when it is safe to attack? how do you see, when you need to block? when the enemies is doing an attack.
how do you avoid attacks? can you also go up and down to avoid stuff?

how do you combo? especially with your special attacks? my Kamehameha is always missing.

etc.

like I said, I'm totally lost. :D

I hate to say it but you should just delete your save and start over. You're near the beginning anyway and literally everything you've asked was covered in tutorials up to this point.

But to summarise yes theres more than one hp bar. The numbers are on it too to help as its representative of your health at that level. The other bar is burst and charging by holding triangle or y long enough will activate it for extra damage and knock back.

Attack when they aren't are dodge around and attack. If they guard use a guard breaker special. If they're steam rolling you in a combo hold l2 and press either square or x to knock them back or l2 and x or a to warp behind them and use a breaker. The latter requires more ki gained by charging with y.

Ki is what I assume you mean by running out of stamina. Ita only used for specials, ki blasts and the defense methods mentioned above. If you mean you literally cant move because you got hit by a guard breaker.

A good way to squeeze in a kamehameha is after a breaker or at the end of a combo string. Trying to land them mid combo usually gives the opponent time to regain control of the fight.

You can also do an evade with the regular dodge button. Time it right and you'll hear the other signature DB teleport sound so you'll know when it's done right. Certain attacks, like breakers when the enemy is glowing with ki can only be avoided this way. They will give you a long time to notice it's about to happen but timing takes a bit of practice.

All that said, I can understand missing this stuff in the tutorials. Theres a lot of pop ups, it dumps info after info in a real heavy handed manner.

I liked it but if you aren't super into DB, this shit is awful. It's about on par with the story adventure modes in something like Budokai 3. It really feels like I'm playing the single player to a typical bamco arena fighter. The animation, presentation ect is a pretty big downgrade from Naruto for whatever reason. This shit is also in no way an RPG LMAO. They really nailed the trailers tho. Had me thinking we were going to get the best anime game ever.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
I just got Gohan's Super Dragon Flight and haha holy shit it's a Stun bar killer and it comes out super fast too.

This has to be the best move in the game.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
TL;DR: If you want my honest opinion, don't skip OG Dragon Ball. Start there (watch Episode 1-9, 11-28, 34-41, 43, 46-78, 84-126, 133-148 ), and then continue with to Kai. Progression has always been a part of Goku's character, and dismissing OG Dragon Ball would be a disservice to see his struggle and growth.

Long-Version: Dragon Ball Z Kai's core difference from the original DBZ anime, is Kai lacks the anime filler content and stops at the end of the Cell saga (which is where the original author Akira Toriyama wanted to end DBZ in the first place). It also starts at the beginning of the Saiyan Saga and doesn't include anything from Dragon Ball, which is the story of Goku as a child and how he meets Bulma & starts his journey as a martial artist.

Kai is more faithful to the manga than the original anime was. In some cases though, this could affect how some see the development of several key characters. In the original DBZ anime, one of the most touching moments is Gohan surviving alone in the wilderness, & the challenges and events he faces all influence the person he becomes later on. Much of this was cut in Kai, and unless you've already seen DBZ, it might seem a little jarring to see Gohan jump from a wimpy crybaby to a competent, compassionate person. You'll also miss out on some of the funnier filler episodes, such as the infamous episode where Goku and Piccolo are forced by Chi-Chi to get their drivers license.

Basically, you can't go wrong with watching Kai if you want a 1:1 adaptation of the manga without the fluff. But I would start with OG Dragon Ball and then watch Kai.

EDIT: I forgot to add, OG Dragon Ball is very reminiscent of 1970's Hong Kong Action-Comedy Martial Arts movies & its more of a fun, Journey to the West-inspired adventure story where Goku and co. meet one weirdo after another until King Piccolo enters the picture. DBZ (and Kai) are more akin to a Shonen Battle Manga with a sprinkle of Science Fiction across the board. Both have their fair-share of crass humour & casual sexual harassment jokes, but that was the nature of the series being a manga made for publication for boys in Japan during the 1980's.
I think this is the millionth time I've seen someone say Toriyama wanted to end the manga after Cell.

This is wrong, no such thing happened.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Omgggg, they didn't change the music in Gingertown after Cell and the way the music hits with the scenery is absolutely killing me

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Listened to the Giant Bombcast chat on this and it was brutal. It's such a shame that this game buries A LOT of integral stuff in sub menus and takes a little while to get going because many will bounce straight off of it. Jeff basically assessed it on what was essentially still early tutorial stuff before the game opens up a bit more, and all the same, if the game can't grab you right away then fair play. He also bashed Cha-La-Head-Cha-La so I don't think this game was ever going to click for him on a nostalgia level either, haha.

I'm currently way into this game and really didn't think I would be, at least not in this way. I do need to pick up the pace a bit, I'm like 40 hrs in and only just at the beginning of the Android saga and I may be over leveled a bit...

One of my favourite episodes is Gohan finding that broken down abandoned robot. It has some really sweet moments and like you mentioned.

TBF I don't think Jeff likes any game anymore.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
TBF I don't think Jeff likes any game anymore.
He does like quite a bit of games. Hes also played too many games in his life and hes a father. Still, hes always overly harsh on the things he does not like and I admire someone that just says what he thinks and does not fall in the hype cycle. I agree with him on DBZ: Kakarot. Its a waste of time and the gameplay is boring. Id rather watch the good cinemas on youtube and Kai again. But if someone else enjoys it, hey that fine too.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
He does like quite a bit of games. Hes also played too many games in his life and hes a father. Still, hes always overly harsh on the things he does not like and I admire someone that just says what he thinks and does not fall in the hype cycle. I agree with him on DBZ: Kakarot. Its a waste of time and the gameplay is boring. Id rather watch the good cinemas on youtube and Kai again. But if someone else enjoys it, hey that fine too.
Yeah the QL and hearing them on the Bombcast made it sound boring as hell. It just makes me want to watch Kai and finish All Systems Goku. I grew up with it on Toonami back in the day too but for some reason this game isn't exciting to me.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the QL and hearing them on the Bombcast made it sound boring as hell. It just makes me want to watch Kai and finish All Systems Goku. I grew up with it on Toonami back in the day too but for some reason this game isn't exciting to me.
All Systems Goku is my 2nd favorite piece of Dragon Ball media behind Kai itself. Do it!

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I hate to say it but you should just delete your save and start over. You're near the beginning anyway and literally everything you've asked was covered in tutorials up to this point.

But to summarise yes theres more than one hp bar. The numbers are on it too to help as its representative of your health at that level. The other bar is burst and charging by holding triangle or y long enough will activate it for extra damage and knock back.

Attack when they aren't are dodge around and attack. If they guard use a guard breaker special. If they're steam rolling you in a combo hold l2 and press either square or x to knock them back or l2 and x or a to warp behind them and use a breaker. The latter requires more ki gained by charging with y.

Ki is what I assume you mean by running out of stamina. Ita only used for specials, ki blasts and the defense methods mentioned above. If you mean you literally cant move because you got hit by a guard breaker.

A good way to squeeze in a kamehameha is after a breaker or at the end of a combo string. Trying to land them mid combo usually gives the opponent time to regain control of the fight.

You can also do an evade with the regular dodge button. Time it right and you'll hear the other signature DB teleport sound so you'll know when it's done right. Certain attacks, like breakers when the enemy is glowing with ki can only be avoided this way. They will give you a long time to notice it's about to happen but timing takes a bit of practice.

All that said, I can understand missing this stuff in the tutorials. Theres a lot of pop ups, it dumps info after info in a real heavy handed manner.
first of all thanks. :)
turned the game of yesterday and can't play till after work today. so some questions could feel unnecessary :D

do you mean the text pop ups with tutorials?
because this is like my third fight up to this point.
Piccolo right at the beginning and then on Master Roshis Island against an "AI" Kirin.

what are Guard Breaker Specials?
the L1 attackes? do all break guard?

and what exactly is a Combo? just mashing O? or adding in some KI Blasts?

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Critics seem to dislike the game, while online and irl I'm seeing nothing but praise for the game from regular users and dragon ball fans.

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
Time to talk about the weird glitch I had lol

When I started a few days ago, when you're Goku sitting on Nimbus holding kid Gohan on your lap, on the way to Kame House, after saving, and reloading that save, suddenly a Red Ribbon robot is there which wasn't before, and initiated battle then.

Wish I would have taken a screen shot, but you're not supposed to be fighting then. Goku then is flying there in battle mode, with Kid Gohan literally hovering under his butt in the same pose he was in while on Nimbus. lol

This wouldn't allow you to fight and you had to lose, or restart your game.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's any chance they'd just do Super in a sequel. It'd be Z and Super, hopefully with more filler from Z, since there was a lot of missed opportunity in regards to filler in this game.