• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rika

Oct 30, 2017
USA
ITTXcr2.jpg

Information:

Release Date: Jan 17th 2020
Developer: BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment, CyberConnect2
Publisher: BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment, BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment America
Platform(s): PC, Xbox One, PS4
Price(s): $59.99(USD)

Relive the story of Goku and other Z Fighters in DRAGON BALL Z: KAKAROT! Beyond the epic battles, experience life in the DRAGON BALL Z world as you fight, fish, eat, and train with Goku, Gohan, Vegeta and others. Explore the new areas and adventures as you advance through the story and form powerful bonds with other heroes from the DRAGON BALL Z universe.

Screenshots:

SzOe5Xb.jpg

baFCcVq.jpg

zHaJuhF.jpg

4VJxL8v.jpg

Videos/Trailer

Bonus Pre-Order:

DBZK_PreOrder_DescriptionImage-2_STEAM_EN_US.png

Pre-order DRAGON BALL Z: KAKAROT digitally and receive a Cooking Item that gives you permanent Melee ATK and HP stat boosts, a sub-quest, and an Early Unlock to a Training Menu that allows you to fight "Bonyu", a new Character created by the author, Akira Toriyama.

DIFFERENT EDITIONS

DBZK_DLX_Metadata_DescriptionImage_STEAM_EN_US.png

The Deluxe Edition includes the game, a Cooking Item that gives your character permanent Ki-ATK and HP Stat boosts, and the Season Pass. The Season Pass adds 2 original episodes and a new story.

DBZK_ULT_Metadata_DescriptionImage_STEAM_EN_US.png

The Ultimate Edition includes:
・The game
・A Cooking Item that gives your character permanent Ki-ATK, Ki-DEF and HP Stat boosts
・Season Pass (2 original episodes and a new story)
・DRAGON BALL Z: KAKAROT - MUSIC COMPILATION PACK (11 additional songs from the anime, available Spring 2020)
・The Tao Pai Pai Pillar (available Spring 2020)

Misc:

DBZK_Comparison-Chart_Steam_616x616.png

Please beware that the trophy list IS out in the wild and it's pretty spoilery. Just an FYI for those who are thinking about looking. You will get things spoiled (and I mean even if you HAVE seen the anime/read the manga there is pretty big spoilers/surprises ruined by the list)

PC SPECS (From Steam Store)

MINIMUM:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel Core i5-2400 or AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 750 Ti or Radeon HD 7950
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 36 GB available space

RECOMMENDED:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 or AMD Ryzen 3 1200
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 960 or Radeon R9 280X
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 40 GB available space

REVIEW SCORES:

Famitsu 34/40
TrustedReviews: 3.5 stars
Metacritic: At the time of this edit it's at 78
GameBlog(French review): 8/10 with Editor's Choice
LADbible: 9/10
TheSixthAxis: 7
OpenCritic
GamesRadar: 3/5
PlayStation LifeStyle: 8.0/10
IGN: 7/10

Last edited:
Trophy list spoilers, be warned!

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you. I have zero experience making these kinda threads at all, so winged it last night and saved as a draft hence why lack of review scores.

All good mate! There is only 1 out so far. And from what people on reddit have been saying (so take that for what you will) none of the usual suspects when it comes to reviewers have it yet. I have no way to confirm that though.

Also the trophy list IS out in the wild and it's pretty spoilery. Just an FYI for those who are thinking about looking. You will get things spoiled (and I mean even if you HAVE seen the anime/read the manga there is pretty big spoilers/surprises ruined by the list)

OP
OP
Rika

Rika

Oct 30, 2017
USA
All good mate! There is only 1 out so far. And from what people on reddit have been saying (so take that for what you will) none of the usual suspects when it comes to reviewers have it yet. I have no way to confirm that though.
I just snagged the Famitsu review article and put it in the OP.

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon has the preorder at $10 off. (But I'm guessing the bonus stuff is digital only? Fuck it. Physical is still superior :p ).

Lilalaunebaer

Oct 27, 2017
I´m beyond hyped man.
I always wanted a DB game like this.
As long as it slots in quality wise with the CC2 Naruto games, i´m a happy boy.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Hoping to see some Pro/X comparisons soon. I think I'm gonna sit on this but could equally see it as an impulse buy this weekend lol

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
I'm in for this, just wish reviews would be out before release but that doesn't seem likely.

OP
OP
Rika

Rika

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Did the team making this make anything else notable before? Were they the same group that worked on the Xenoverse games?
DIMPs I think worked on Xenoverse 1 and 2. I think QLOC(localization company) helped with Xenoverse 2 alongside DIMPs.

CyberConnect2 made the Naruto games as far as anime games go, so they have experience working on games like this. I also think they made Asura's Wrath which many people said it is as crazy as DBZ.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
My best friend is extremely hyped for this, and knowing it's CC2, it should be good, especially for diehard DBZ fans

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really not sure if I want to get this game or not.
9sk6JN2.gif

I really don't like playing the behind-the-back Dragon Ball Z games, even though I always end up buying them anyways.
It being only 50 on Amazon, plus the fact that I have a little more than 10 dollars in Amazon gift cards because of the Pre-order price guarantee for my pre-order of the Blu-ray for Super Part 10 has me... wondering if I should just get it now. I mean I'll buy it eventually anyways. It'll probably be butt-cheap later on, though.
M4tcljb.gif

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
It's out in 3 days? Time to start looking a bit more into this game to see if I want it, haven't followed anything about it.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
It's out in 3 days? Time to start looking a bit more into this game to see if I want it, haven't followed anything about it.
Looking at the "Character Progression Trailer" (got link from SIFTD), this game looks a lot more complex than I had thought it would be before.
Also
the fact that I saw "Future Gohan" can be a playable character at some point
is honestly pushing me more on getting a pre-order, lol.

I wish there was some version that came with the steelbook that didn't cost 200 dollars, though. I don't want statues. I just want that steelbook.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I really want this game to be good because DBZ DESERVES a good game that isn't a fighter (after allllllllll this time), but I also kind of...don't really have any excitement for it because of the focus on the original story, if that makes sense? I'm so worn out on replaying the original Z sagas. Even the Xenoverse games kept billing themselves as being "new stories" in the Dragonball universe that...basically just revolved around replaying the original Z sagas but with slight tweaks.

Do we know when reviews are coming out? I want to hear if other people who are burned out on retelling the original Z story found something to latch onto here.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
waiting for reviews.......hoping for it to be good, but man everytime i see actual gameplay it looks off.........

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I really want this game to be good because DBZ DESERVES a good game that isn't a fighter (after allllllllll this time), but I also kind of...don't really have any excitement for it because of the focus on the original story, if that makes sense? I'm so worn out on replaying the original Z sagas. Even the Xenoverse games kept billing themselves as being "new stories" in the Dragonball universe that...basically just revolved around replaying the original Z sagas but with slight tweaks.

Do we know when reviews are coming out? I want to hear if other people who are burned out on retelling the original Z story found something to latch onto here.

I skimmed through the 9 hours playthrough that ended with the Freeza saga and it was rough man.

Does this cover things all the way to the end of Z?

It doesn't do the Uub stuff. It ends at Buu.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i hope people who will buy it will have fun, but as an Open World game, it look barren as fuck, and let's not talk about combat, a simplistic approach compared to all the other dragon ball fighting game out there

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I hope it ends up being decent enough, I'd like to see a Super sequel and I'll definitely get Kakarot down the road, so yeah. The only big reason I'm not getting it this week is because I got so much stuff to play through: Death Stranding, Days Gone, Sekiro...

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Just lots of mashing? Were the sidequests substantial?

I'll put it in spoiler because I don't want to cloud anyone's enjoyment with my impressions.

- The gameplay had a severe lack of variety. At first I just assumed the streamer didn't know how to play, but then I realized even if he did, the enemies are bullet sponges that break out of your attacks, and 95% of the fights looked the same. But hey watching random people play Naruto, they use 5% of the battle system so maybe the game is better. Problem being that Naruto had a VS mode and a huge roster, this doesn't so not sure it's gonna work out the same.

- There is a shocking lack of enemies to fight but I can't really blame the devs as DBZ is piss poor on that front.

- The streamer was focusing on the main story to get further and get transformations, so he didn't do a lot of sidequests. He did a few and they were ... kind of sad. Example, Roshi asks you to go find Launch, you find her ... she throws 3 capsules and 3 robots skull enemies come out (the same you run into randomly on the map over and over ...) , you fight them, that's it, quest done, then you get a non voiced conclusion of that quest which is just 4 lines of dialogue back at Roshi... Yeah.
Or on Namek you help "victimized namekians" npcs as they are called, which ... is just you fighting random goons that you have to fight anyway on the map.
Again, I can't blame the devs, what were they gonna add, some super namekian god ? They are limited by the original story, so yeah ...

- All the best cutscenes are in the trailers. There is a shocking amount of characters just standing still or stuff being super poorly animated / lacking music or sound effects, it's super weird.

- Lots of stuff is cut short, you don't play as Goku in the after life, you don't even see him run on the snake way, the entire travel to Namek happens in a literal fade to black etc...

Unless there's some difficulty mode that gives this some hidden depth, I was really fucking done by the time the stream ended.

But it's possible playing as 16yo Gohan / Great Saiyaman is a lot of fun, or that the Buu saga opens up what you can do in fights or something (with all the forms/skills). Maybe the quests get better there. It's possible. The game is pretty long, 9 hours just to end Freeza saga with little side stuff done.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'll put it in spoiler because I don't want to cloud anyone's enjoyment with my impressions.

- The gameplay had a severe lack of variety. At first I just assumed the streamer didn't know how to play, but then I realized even if he did, the enemies are bullet sponges that break out of your attacks, and 95% of the fights looked the same. But hey watching random people play Naruto, they use 5% of the battle system so maybe the game is better. Problem being that Naruto had a VS mode and a huge roster, this doesn't so not sure it's gonna work out the same.

- There is a shocking lack of enemies to fight but I can't really blame the devs as DBZ is piss poor on that front.

- The streamer was focusing on the main story to get further and get transformations, so he didn't do a lot of sidequests. He did a few and they were ... kind of sad. Example, Roshi asks you to go find Launch, you find her ... she throws 3 capsules and 3 robots skull enemies come out (the same you run into randomly on the map over and over ...) , you fight them, that's it, quest done, then you get a non voiced conclusion of that quest which is just 4 lines of dialogue back at Roshi... Yeah.
Or on Namek you help "victimized namekians" npcs as they are called, which ... is just you fighting random goons that you have to fight anyway on the map.
Again, I can't blame the devs, what were they gonna add, some super namekian god ? They are limited by the original story, so yeah ...

- All the best cutscenes are in the trailers. There is a shocking amount of characters just standing still or stuff being super poorly animated / lacking music or sound effects, it's super weird.

- Lots of stuff is cut short, you don't play as Goku in the after life, you don't even see him run on the snake way, the entire travel to Namek happens in a literal fade to black etc...

Unless there's some difficulty mode that gives this some hidden depth, I was really fucking done by the time the stream ended.

But it's possible playing as 16yo Gohan / Great Saiyaman is a lot of fun, or that the Buu saga opens up what you can do in fights or something (with all the forms/skills). Maybe the quests get better there. It's possible. The game is pretty long, 9 hours just to end Freeza saga with little side stuff done.

This is all pretty much exactly what I was afraid of. Bummer. I'll wait for reviews anyways and see what they say, but at the very least I'm glad I didn't pay full price for a preorder.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017

I predicted as much, thanks.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017

Pretty much what I was expecting. Shame.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Looking at the "Character Progression Trailer" (got link from SIFTD), this game looks a lot more complex than I had thought it would be before.
Also
the fact that I saw "Future Gohan" can be a playable character at some point
is honestly pushing me more on getting a pre-order, lol.

I wish there was some version that came with the steelbook that didn't cost 200 dollars, though. I don't want statues. I just want that steelbook.
After watching several videos I'm still unsure if I want this or not lol.

Game seems fun but some aspects are worrying me. I guess I'll check more in depths reviews. Is only the Famitsu one available at the moment?

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
This game is going to be what I think it is, I assume. A solid 7.5, so long as the combat isn't too tedious. Can't wait to buy it.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really want this game, but I don't know if I $60 want this game. Hopefully it reviews well and I'll make my decision based upon that.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017

Lol damn that's like evertyhing I got afraid of after watching the videos ^^

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018

Expected. CyberConnect2 gonna CyberConnect2.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017

Thanks, this is as I feared from watching the trailers and gameplay footage.

I'll just pick this up on sale down the track.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Played a lot of the games as a kid, but only finally read + watched it (after reading a few volumes ahead, and kinda just having it on in the background while multitasking) when Giant Bomb started doing All Systems Goku.

I fell off at the end of Cell, but I'd bought the rest of the manga so I'm looking forward to finally reading the rest of it this week and then playing this. Even if it's not amazing overall, it'll be cool to play a game based on it again after all this time! And then at some point I'll actually get around to watching the rest of it too, maybe.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
So, how's the Xenoverse 2 combat like? seems to be abit more fan-pleasing, all in all, than Kakarot, but I'm still in doubt.

After many updates I think it's in an "okay" spot.

The game has bad netcode and some jank here and there, which clearly affect the gameplay. But its concepts and execution are okay. 2v2 can be a lot of fun with a friend, to coordinate attacks etc...

For Kakarot, we dont know yet.
Its definitely mad simplified but there might be more.
I wonder what the speed runs will look like.

MangoUltz

Mar 24, 2019
I'm not day 1 on this but I am pretty hyped on it. Looking forward to the impressions. Will probably pick it up early Feb

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Pains me to say but this game just doesn't look good. They bit off way more than they can chew. This should have been from the start of Z up until the end of the freezer saga. That way they could have created a way more polished and detailed experience. But including evetything up to Buu? That's way too much content and would need a much bigger budget.