• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
Pains me to say but this game just doesn't look good. They bit off way more than they can chew. This should have been from the start of Z up until the end of the freezer saga. That way they could have created a way more polished and detailed experience. But including evetything up to Buu? That's way too much content and would need a much bigger budget.

I don't know man. From the cut scenes they have released it looks pretty on point. Vegeta's final atonement scene made me cry (a fucking gain.. Every damned time.)

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Looks great OP. Can't wait to play this game. I wanna know how transformations work in combat. Compared to most games I know next to nothing about features

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I don't know man. From the cut scenes they have released it looks pretty on point. Vegeta's final atonement scene made me cry (a fucking gain.. Every damned time.)
Cutscenes are nice and all but they are few and far between if past cyberconnect games are anything to go by. At least the combat looked just as cinematic and exciting as those cutscenes, so that balanced it out.

In this game the gameplay looks legitimately bad. To the point where I can't believe it's from the same guys.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
Cutscenes are nice and all but they few and far between if past cyberconnect games are anything to go by. At least the combat looked just as cinematic and exciting as those cutscenes, so that balanced it out.

In this game the gameplay looks legitimately bad. To the point where I can't believe it's from the same guys.
In this one they aren't. From the 10 hours of leaked game play there is an absolute ton of them. The guys controller literally turned off multiple times because of cut scenes. They have done a lot, and I mean a lot of cut scenes.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I was looking at the sayan and Freezer saga and there were two things missing in cutscenes that I didn't like (minor spoilers):

Gohan's Masenko after Piccolo's death, Goku just arrives to the rescue just when Nappa is about to kill Gohan while he's crying for Piccolo.

Krilin doesn't kill the Saybaimen after Yamcha's death, the last remaining one is the one that suicide bombs Yamcha.

Oct 27, 2017
I will eventually pick this game up if it is halfway decent. I am going to wait for a sale on it, but I am excited for this game. I hope it is just a Legacy of Goku in 3D.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
Side note the legacy of Goku games /Buus fury were my favorite gba games. Playing them while watching the series and downloading the side movies off of limewire...what a time!

This looks great!

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
All of the comparisons with Xenoverse seem a bit off base. For one thing Xenoverse while it does have stat building for your character, isn't primarily targeted as an RPG like this game is.

I also don't buy saying CC2 bit off more they chew with this project, considering their work in the .hack quadrilogy and the follow up series as well Asura's Wrath. CC2's cutscene direction was pretty much always on point, as is the case with the Ultimate Ninja Storm games.

Edit: For anyone curious. Filesize for the game seems to be 31GB, at least according to the pre-load.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
According to IGN embargo lifts Thursday morning. But they just got their copy today. So who knows when we will see reviews from major review sites.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I don't like the fact the Embargo lifts one day before the game comes out. Also review outlets just getting the game THIS close to release.

Bandai-Namco should be better at this. It's not like they are a small time publisher.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm hype. Really looking forward to all the side activities and minigames. Finally something to mix up the action.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
If the reviews are good, probably will pick this game up during a sale.

But the character models are mediocre at best. Why can't there be a Dragon Ball RPG with Fighterz or DQ11 level of models.

Also the story is Z again. Just boring at this point. Would love a Super related game. Even the trashfire Heroes story is more refreshing.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
If the reviews are good, probably will pick this game up during a sale.

But the character models are mediocre at best. Why can't there be a Dragon Ball RPG with Fighterz or DQ11 level of models.

Also the story is Z again. Just boring at this point. Would love a Super related game. Even the trashfire Heroes story is more refreshing.

I won't spoil anything here. But it's more than just Z. We learned that from the trophies.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
God damn you ERA... j/k

I was gonna wait for reviews and just get this later on, but seeing other people get excited about this game has gotten me excited enough to pre-order it, even though I tend to not like these kinds of games that much.

I can't really blame anyone but myself lol.

Yeah though, I've been someone who's generally disliked the combat in these kinds of DBZ games, but it really looks like there's a lot more "side stuff" to do. Which even if it's pretty repetitive and not noteworthy I think I'd still like to play just because it's DBZ.

edit: Nah, cancelled.
I wonder what kind of mods will be on PC..
A Macho-man Nappa mod would make all this worth it...

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2017
I'll put it in spoiler because I don't want to cloud anyone's enjoyment with my impressions.

- The gameplay had a severe lack of variety. At first I just assumed the streamer didn't know how to play, but then I realized even if he did, the enemies are bullet sponges that break out of your attacks, and 95% of the fights looked the same. But hey watching random people play Naruto, they use 5% of the battle system so maybe the game is better. Problem being that Naruto had a VS mode and a huge roster, this doesn't so not sure it's gonna work out the same.

- There is a shocking lack of enemies to fight but I can't really blame the devs as DBZ is piss poor on that front.

- The streamer was focusing on the main story to get further and get transformations, so he didn't do a lot of sidequests. He did a few and they were ... kind of sad. Example, Roshi asks you to go find Launch, you find her ... she throws 3 capsules and 3 robots skull enemies come out (the same you run into randomly on the map over and over ...) , you fight them, that's it, quest done, then you get a non voiced conclusion of that quest which is just 4 lines of dialogue back at Roshi... Yeah.
Or on Namek you help "victimized namekians" npcs as they are called, which ... is just you fighting random goons that you have to fight anyway on the map.
Again, I can't blame the devs, what were they gonna add, some super namekian god ? They are limited by the original story, so yeah ...

- All the best cutscenes are in the trailers. There is a shocking amount of characters just standing still or stuff being super poorly animated / lacking music or sound effects, it's super weird.

- Lots of stuff is cut short, you don't play as Goku in the after life, you don't even see him run on the snake way, the entire travel to Namek happens in a literal fade to black etc...

Unless there's some difficulty mode that gives this some hidden depth, I was really fucking done by the time the stream ended.

But it's possible playing as 16yo Gohan / Great Saiyaman is a lot of fun, or that the Buu saga opens up what you can do in fights or something (with all the forms/skills). Maybe the quests get better there. It's possible. The game is pretty long, 9 hours just to end Freeza saga with little side stuff done.
Damn this sucks, still buying it not sure what system I'm buying it on.. but damn expected reality

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
I going to wait on this, been burned by the last 2 DBZ games I bought on release and I barely ended up touching them.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
Damn this sucks, still buying it not sure what system I'm buying it on.. but damn expected reality
Something to keep in mind from the early streamer, the 1.11 patch was over 8 gigs and in the notes it straight up said it added more stuff quests and things. So we know there is a decent amount of stuff added since the stream happened a few days ago.

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am really excited for this. I loved the Legacy of Goku games on the GBA as well as the Budokai games (Especially Budokai 3). This looks like a mix of the two and I am really looking forward to it!

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
zing for the folks that want it but the market just feels absolutely saturated with Dragonball games at the moment.

Really? Xenoverse 2 came out 3.5 years ago, and Fighterz came out 2 years ago. Those are both fighting games (one an arena fighter and the other a hyper fighter). Both with original stories. Kakarot is an Action RPG that tells the entire story (which hasn't happened this gen) and hasn't been told in this amount of depth since Raging Blast 11 years ago.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I really want this game to be good because DBZ DESERVES a good game that isn't a fighter (after allllllllll this time), but I also kind of...don't really have any excitement for it because of the focus on the original story, if that makes sense? I'm so worn out on replaying the original Z sagas. Even the Xenoverse games kept billing themselves as being "new stories" in the Dragonball universe that...basically just revolved around replaying the original Z sagas but with slight tweaks.

Do we know when reviews are coming out? I want to hear if other people who are burned out on retelling the original Z story found something to latch onto here.
There's only so much you can do with a series that ended in the 90's.

I really want them to make a Super game. I'd just take Budokai with Super characters.

Not that I'm not hyped for this. This is the kind of DBZ game I've always wanted.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
There's only so much you can do with a series that ended in the 90's.

I really want them to make a Super game. I'd just take Budokai with Super characters.

Not that I'm not hyped for this. This is the kind of DBZ game I've always wanted.

We do have some options for new Z content, since both Battle of the Gods and Resurrection F are Z (even though they are in the Super Anime) so we could see those. I'd bet we see BoG in the season pass.

Havel

Oct 25, 2017
The combat doesn't really seem to be the focus of this game, more of a tool to get from point A to point B in the story. I honestly don't have much of an issue with this as long as everything outside the battles are fun and polished, which is what the marketing seems to be focusing on. The main draw seems to be preparing for the battles by exploring, gathering stuff, and doing some quests? Better than generic 3D fighter #246. Like other people have said there's only so much you can do with the same fights and combat over and over again, so them branching out and trying some new ideas is a step in the right direction.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
The combat doesn't really seem to be the focus of this game, more of a tool to get from point A to point B in the story. I honestly don't have much of an issue with this as long as everything outside the battles are fun and polished, which is what the marketing seems to be focusing on. The main draw seems to be preparing for the battles by exploring, gathering stuff, and doing some quests?

The combat doesn't look that bad imo, it has the right amount of flashy no substance stuff to feel fun. It's no Nioh but I don't want that.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
The combat doesn't really seem to be the focus of this game, more of a tool to get from point A to point B in the story. I honestly don't have much of an issue with this as long as everything outside the battles are fun and polished, which is what the marketing seems to be focusing on. The main draw seems to be preparing for the battles by exploring, gathering stuff, and doing some quests? Better than generic 3D fighter #246.

The combat seems very reminiscent of the Naruto Storm games (Which this same company did) except it uses the Xenoverse style modifiers for super moves/transformations.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
so to get the ending of the game you need the season pass lmao. just looking at the footage I could tell the gameplay looked like it wouldn't be so great.

We don't know what's in the final game. The patch, specifically said it added new quests and stuff. It just came out today, so we simply don't know what stuff is there and what isn't.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
So, I've literally never played a Dragon Ball game ever before and I've only watched through the original run of Z, Kai, and Super once each and the very ancient airing on Cartoon Network when I was younger randomly.

Got this pre-ordered and figured I'd jump in to one of the games with this one since there's not much else to do in January.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
I guess. But at that point why would I not just watch the anime?

I've seen it a ton. But there is something cool about fighting as Majin Vegeta (my favorite version of Vegeta) against Buu, realizing he can't win then giving that speech. Just thinking about it gives me chills and takes me back to the first time I heard it.

Havel

Oct 25, 2017
DBZ Infinite World had a shot at doing minigames and...weird side content. Back then it was panned, but at least the combat system was a more refined Budokai 3. IW was strange, but it had the best fighting mechanics of all the Dimps games.