• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
So.. Yeah. I'm having a bit more fun than I was expecting. It's still rough af (and sometimes looking outright ugly), long loading screens, world feels a bit unutilized, etc., but with competent mechanics and the tons of nostalgia and love this game has been filled with, I can't help but liking it a lot as a DB fan.

I'm going in expecting some jank, but as long as it's fun and fan-servicey I don't care, so this sounds good to me!

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Man, I don't understand why Bandai Namco doesn't go full AAA budget and production value with Dragon Ball (or one piece etc.).
They (series) deserve it, and I also think it would pay off for them. I will have my fun with the game, but there are typical cut corners, like missing voice acting in some situations, many cheap cutscenes where characters are just standing around, with very limited animations etc.
This game could have been so much more exciting with a bigger budget and higher production values. Also more time for the developers, so they really can polish everything to the best results.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
Took Friday off. Along with having Monday off for the holiday, it's going to be a nice weekend of gaming. Looking forward to this.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the Saiyan Saga. It's rough in some area but certainly good fun if you're into Dragon Ball.

My biggest surprise is the combat. It feels much better than what you've might expect from the trailers, and it's the most fun I had from a DB "arena fighter" in a long while.

The lack of pvp allowed them to make boss fights those Action RPG style fights where it's all about reading patterns and knowing when to dodge and when to guard etc. It works well enough although they started to feel a bit same-y already. It's still a new take on the DBZ fights that we've been playing for decades now and it's commendable.

The new material has been much less than expected so far but what's here is good. You get some Goku/Gohan bonding, a mini flashback with Raditz, Nappa, and Vegeta, and a hilarious quest with Piccolo and Yajirobi. Hope we get more of this as the game goes on. The Buu part especially could be a gold mine.

So.. Yeah. I'm having a bit more fun than I was expecting. It's still rough af (and sometimes looking outright ugly), long loading screens, world feels a bit unutilized, etc., but with competent mechanics and the tons of nostalgia and love this game has been filled with, I can't help but liking it a lot as a DB fan.
That's pretty much what I'm expecting and hoping for. How's the sound? Also are there many sidequests? I'm asking because I wonder how this would be as a podcast game. I'm thinking I'll turn on a podcast and knock some sidequests out but when the story stuff's going on I'll just listen like normal.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, confirm this, because in the 9 hours stream there was like only 2 or 3 different battle songs and it was mad jarring.

How many have you heard so far ? Maybe that was patched.

Deleted member 58141

user requested account closure
Banned
Jun 23, 2019
Dang. You playing on a pro or an x? We don't know what the early streamers were playing on.

Pro. They're not absurdly long or anything they're just long and frequent enough for them to be an annoyance.

That's pretty much what I'm expecting and hoping for. How's the sound? Also are there many sidequests? I'm asking because I wonder how this would be as a podcast game. I'm thinking I'll turn on a podcast and knock some sidequests out but when the story stuff's going on I'll just listen like normal.

Kickuchi's score is amazing. The new material not so much. Very average and some are borderline annoying.

Side quests are sparse and short.. I think I did all of them and until Namek there's like 11 of them. You can find some events by exploring too that are not considered side quests but they're not very rewarding. Like, I randomly found the Pilaf gang at the entrance of a cave saying that it's full of gold that they can't get because of monsters.. So I went a mined it. Not really rewarding since the economy system in the game is super barebones.

That's said I think it work pretty well as a podcast since it has grinding elements and flying around is admittedly pretty fun.

-

There're intermission periods between the sagas where you you can grind and level up and meet old characters that weren't in the original series (like Launch).. Some pretty fun fanservice.

Auberji

Oct 25, 2017
Got Friday off and it's being delivered, so I'm gonna go the dentist then binge this for a bit. If it's disappointing, well, at least I've got a game to zone out with when I'm tired.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Vegeta vs 18

Yikes.

Also getting tired of the "characters says line while camera focuses on their back" 40 times in a row so that they don't even have to animate the faces lmao.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hyped. Already bought it for PC (cdkeys had it for like 45$)
Altho I still wish it was more of a wide linear game with a fighting system like Naruto, but it is what it is.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Did people forget that half of Storm 3's cutscenes were people just standing there and talking too? It was the same deal as here from what I'm seeing

It came with 50 playable characters that all had unique animations and combos, Versus mode, online, and interactive QTEs. And the scenes they did decide to animate were mind blowing and even surpassed the anime.

It was easier to forgive.

This has none of that.

SayemAhmd

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 3, 2019
3PM GMT today is when folks with review code are able to stream stuff or post (unscored) video. I should have a review out for the embargo.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Vegeta vs 18

Yikes.

Also getting tired of the "characters says line while camera focuses on their back" 40 times in a row so that they don't even have to animate the faces lmao.

Man not sure if I'm going to pick this up tomorrow now. CC2 must be running on a strict ass budget

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It does have key scenes that are incredible tho.

99% of them are in the trailers or promo scans.

They also pale in comparison with Naruto and Asura. And they are not interactive you just have a fight and then a cutscene.

A far cry from stuff like Sasuke vs Itachi that had different cinematic qte that adapted to your actions.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Holy shit at these video, lmao that's bad!

look at what CC2 did on ps3, there's no excuse here...

No impact, no dynamic, uninteresting angles, barely animated....

I'm sure people will buy this game for the adventure and gameplay rather than fidelity in the story, but even that looks boring as fuck, i'm glad i didn't pre-order this

OnChill

Dec 7, 2017
Holy shit at these video, lmao that's bad!

look at what CC2 did on ps3, there's no excuse here...

No impact, no dynamic, uninteresting angles, barely animated....

I'm sure people will buy this game for the adventure and gameplay rather than fidelity in the story, but even that looks boring as fuck, i'm glad i didn't pre-order this

Ok

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Fighterz spoiled me on dbz visuals lol, this looks bad to me but what do I know.

There really should be a demo for this, watching videos I can't figure out if the combat system is fun to play or not.

SoLDieN

Jan 17, 2018
EspaƱa
:)

EFVcbTY.jpg

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I went from about to pre-order the Ultimate Edition to not going to buy it until it's on sale after seeing these videos.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I don't understand why Bandai Namco doesn't go full AAA budget and production value with Dragon Ball (or one piece etc.).
They (series) deserve it, and I also think it would pay off for them. I will have my fun with the game, but there are typical cut corners, like missing voice acting in some situations, many cheap cutscenes where characters are just standing around, with very limited animations etc.
This game could have been so much more exciting with a bigger budget and higher production values. Also more time for the developers, so they really can polish everything to the best results.

How would spending 10x the budget on series that sell well either way pay off for them? This game doesn't look like it needs a AAA budget to fix some of the issues.

The second Tien fires that first shot, not a single character animates. This is incredible.

oh my...
Rhombus Beam HAH

Last edited:

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Storm 3 (and especially Storm 4) were leagues ahead of this. Disappointing, why do dbz & op get shafted despite being more popular?

How? Especially in regards to Ultimate Ninja Storm 4. 3/4ths of that games' story mode consists of stills from the Anime until they decided to animate the cutscenes themselves again closer to the end. Plus, both of these games are almost entirely linear (4 IS entirely linear), with 3 only having almost completely non-interactive, small-scale, empty areas in between the fights. Comparing that to a role-playing game with tons of side quests and a big, open world seems
disingenuous.

But even IF you want to compare those games, Ninja Storm 3 has TONS of scenes that look exactly like the ones posted here:

These games were always carried by the incredible production values in their main fights and that seems to continue here. I really don't understand how you can be so surprised by that if you played their Naruto series.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this seems like a max $40 pickup for me now. Xenoverse 2 can still scratch my DBZ itch for a bit longer.