• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
This game needs a better combat tutorial, I feel like I'm learning things by just pressing buttons maybe I'll dig into that menu.

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would really love if this game had the Latino dub but so many years of watching Super has got me used to the original Japanese dub lol

And yeah the fighting controls are intimidating as fuck. There's like a billion things to learn.

Lunchbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Wow be nice if the game even told you about Know-How's Jesus.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
there are just some exceedingly good images in this game

c5abf23b44a267da509d7446da15f2db7e6829d3.jpg

187c327c31167cf41ab90bd8f2a9fee5cc08067c.jpg

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, be very careful fighting the red aura enemies post Namek. It's possible to lock yourself out of the story.

If you beat all the aura enemies in Central Plains, there's a cutscene and a beefier aura'd Raditz and Nappa show up. This is fine. But if you beat them a super heavy aura'd Vegeta shows up and he is a lot higher level than you are at this point. (50 vs. 35ish). I nope'd out of that and moved on with the story.

...the problem there is it seems like having an NPC like that will make it so the character itself won't spawn on the map normally. You need to talk to Vegeta when you're going after dr. gero to trigger a fight in this same area, and I only saw a beam of light on a rock with nothing on it because he was overridden by the aura Vegeta being here.

I had to fight a level 50 vegeta accompanied by a level 45 raditz/nappa as a level 37 piccolo. You can't leave the area or anything here either so if this happens you NEED to be able to beat that fight and, uh, you don't want that. That took damn near 30 minutes and was not easy at all, but it did work and Vegeta showed up.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This game makes me feel like a kid again. I genuinely love it.

Its interesting to me that my favorite games this gen have been rated around the 7 to 8 range.

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Question re: a Dragon Ball wish (sort of similar incident to Papercuts' post):

So I'm at the very beginning of the Android saga with everyone training in the three year gap and I've revived Dodoria but he isn't showing up where he's supposed to be. It's just the blue beam of light indicating a sub story. Is this a bug or do I need to be at a specific point in the story like an intermission with a specific party leader?

Edit: Never mind I figured it out. Should've checked the quest menu, I need Gohan in the party.

Last edited:

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Holy shit, be very careful fighting the red aura enemies post Namek. It's possible to lock yourself out of the story.

If you beat all the aura enemies in Central Plains, there's a cutscene and a beefier aura'd Raditz and Nappa show up. This is fine. But if you beat them a super heavy aura'd Vegeta shows up and he is a lot higher level than you are at this point. (50 vs. 35ish). I nope'd out of that and moved on with the story.

...the problem there is it seems like having an NPC like that will make it so the character itself won't spawn on the map normally. You need to talk to Vegeta when you're going after dr. gero to trigger a fight in this same area, and I only saw a beam of light on a rock with nothing on it because he was overridden by the aura Vegeta being here.

I had to fight a level 50 vegeta accompanied by a level 45 raditz/nappa as a level 37 piccolo. You can't leave the area or anything here either so if this happens you NEED to be able to beat that fight and, uh, you don't want that. That took damn near 30 minutes and was not easy at all, but it did work and Vegeta showed up.

If this happens to anybody else: You can´t do this Sidequest if you have Vegata in your party. I swapped in Vegeta after running into the same Problem as described above, stalling the Quest due to him not being allowed in your party. Then swapped him out again, restarting the Quest and spawning the "correct" NPC Vegeta on the map so that i could finish the Quest without fighting the LVL50 red-aura-Vegeta (who stil lwas there btw).

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I personally like the earlier parts of GT that evoked OG Dragonball's "rising, rising, mesmerizing, unbridled ecstasy" of adventure and the more comical skits.

GT isn't for everyone, and it has it's faults. But I like it.
I remember that the characters had trouble being locked in rooms. Trunks was almost destroying planets a few years before.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
If this happens to anybody else: You can´t do this Sidequest if you have Vegata in your party. I swapped in Vegeta after running into the same Problem as described above, stalling the Quest due to him not being allowed in your party. Then swapped him out again, restarting the Quest and spawning the "correct" NPC Vegeta on the map so that i could finish the Quest without fighting the LVL50 red-aura-Vegeta (who stil lwas there btw).

This is actually in the main quest, you're locked into playing piccolo and have no party and need to talk to vegeta, but he doesn't spawn if the enemy is there.

But yeah if Vegeta is in a sidequest in the region the same thing would apply. Super weird.

Lunchbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Damn, Raditz fudged me up! I could not dodge the DSunday properly and he kept coming at me with the hurricane kick 😂

Oct 25, 2017
Soooo

what should I be selling for cash? I'm just only 8 hours in, but I'm hoarding everything and I'm afraid to sell any of it for fear of needing it later lol.

Also, how do you gather ore on a wall?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Soooo

what should I be selling for cash? I'm just only 8 hours in, but I'm hoarding everything and I'm afraid to sell any of it for fear of needing it later lol.

Also, how do you gather ore on a wall?

You can shoot it, with L2 to aim, and Square to shoot ki blasts. It's the same thing you do to fight dinosaurs that are roaming about.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Any fun ways to spice up the fighting?

It isn't particularly hard so far (currently in the bit between defeating Raditz and Vegeta and Nappa arriving) and I'm okay with that. It's mainly a bummer that every fight feels pretty much the same to me. As I pretty much do the same thing over and over. Warp in to do some close combat, shoot down some beam special attack as I hit the enemy away, maybe charge up or shoot some other ki blasts, move in to repeat the steps above with maybe an added special move in between.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Can someone tell me what's the name on the wiki for the "Graphic Relationships Tree" in english? I'm trying to look for the characters I'm missing on the Cell saga but I can't find a guide or anything because I have the game in spanish and the translation might be more different than I think.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina

I just looked it up, it's "Relation Chart" inside the Z Encyclopedia.

I'm missing three characters in the Freezer saga of the Relation Chart, I hope I can still get them... I imagine one is mecha Freezer, other could be the great elder from Namek (it's in a group with Kaio, Kami, Mr. Popo and the one I'm missing), but there's one under Recoome that I've no idea who could that be.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017

It isn't particularly hard so far (currently in the bit between defeating Raditz and Vegeta and Nappa arriving) and I'm okay with that. It's mainly a bummer that every fight feels pretty much the same to me. As I pretty much do the same thing over and over. Warp in to do some close combat, shoot down some beam special attack as I hit the enemy away, maybe charge up or shoot some other ki blasts, move in to repeat the steps above with maybe an added special move in between.

Wait until you unlock
Vegita's training room that can be customized.
That strategy will change and not for the better!

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark

See the little purple Stun bar on the enemy life? While it doesn't matter for fodder enemies, you should pick up the supers that do Stun damage and use it on a boss. Hit them a few times, dodge away, use the super, dodge away and use it again... repeat. You'll do more damage than a normal melee combo and do a lot of Stun damage, too.

When you see the big "BREAK!" notice, it's time to let loose. Find your biggest, nastiest Ki attack and fire it. Because they work quite differently when targeting a stunned opponent.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know where to get "tofu"? I'm trying to farm food stuff and can't find it. Do you HAVE to buy it or something?

Edit: nevermind . It's only like 95 zenny anyway at the market.

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I'm starting to watch DBZ Kai. Is that a good place to start? or am I missing out on important stuff?
It's a pretty decent way to watch the Z series quickly as it trims out the filler and fluff. I've also heard the new dub for Kai is far superior to the original English dub done years ago, so if you're watching in English that would probably be the better version. You still might be lost on a bunch of characters from original DB but you should be able to catch on. The unfortunate thing with it is that it has a lot of scenes that were digitally redone and they quite frankly look horrible in comparison to the original animation cels and also stick out sandwiched between them.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished up the Ginyu arc. I'm really, really enjoying the game so far. I mean, it's not GOTY material or anything, but it instills pure joy in me in that way only video games can. When I'm flying around as Vegeta I feel like I am Vegeta, and that fact alone makes it a lot easier to forgive the game for its flaws.

The thing they nailed 100% is the look. You could take a still shot from this game and convince me it's from an impossibly high-budget remake of the anime. On multiple occasions I've had to sit back and simply marvel at the aesthetic. The sound effects are just perfect, as well. If nothing else I give this game an A for presentation.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
I'm starting to watch DBZ Kai. Is that a good place to start? or am I missing out on important stuff?

TL;DR: If you want my honest opinion, don't skip OG Dragon Ball. Start there (watch Episode 1-9, 11-28, 34-41, 43, 46-78, 84-126, 133-148 ), and then continue with to Kai. Progression has always been a part of Goku's character, and dismissing OG Dragon Ball would be a disservice to see his struggle and growth.

Long-Version: Dragon Ball Z Kai's core difference from the original DBZ anime, is Kai lacks the anime filler content and stops at the end of the Cell saga (which is where the original author Akira Toriyama wanted to end DBZ in the first place). It also starts at the beginning of the Saiyan Saga and doesn't include anything from Dragon Ball, which is the story of Goku as a child and how he meets Bulma & starts his journey as a martial artist.

Kai is more faithful to the manga than the original anime was. In some cases though, this could affect how some see the development of several key characters. In the original DBZ anime, one of the most touching moments is Gohan surviving alone in the wilderness, & the challenges and events he faces all influence the person he becomes later on. Much of this was cut in Kai, and unless you've already seen DBZ, it might seem a little jarring to see Gohan jump from a wimpy crybaby to a competent, compassionate person. You'll also miss out on some of the funnier filler episodes, such as the infamous episode where Goku and Piccolo are forced by Chi-Chi to get their drivers license.

Basically, you can't go wrong with watching Kai if you want a 1:1 adaptation of the manga without the fluff. But I would start with OG Dragon Ball and then watch Kai.

EDIT: I forgot to add, OG Dragon Ball is very reminiscent of 1970's Hong Kong Action-Comedy Martial Arts movies & its more of a fun, Journey to the West-inspired adventure story where Goku and co. meet one weirdo after another until King Piccolo enters the picture. DBZ (and Kai) are more akin to a Shonen Battle Manga with a sprinkle of Science Fiction across the board. Both have their fair-share of crass humour & casual sexual harassment jokes, but that was the nature of the series being a manga made for publication for boys in Japan during the 1980's.

Last edited:

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
TL;DR: If you want my honest opinion, don't skip OG Dragon Ball. Start there (watch Episode 1-9, 11-28, 34-41, 43, 46-78, 84-126, 133-148 ), and then continue with to Kai. Progression has always been a part of Goku's character, and dismissing OG Dragon Ball would be a disservice to see his struggle and growth.

Long-Version: Dragon Ball Z Kai's core difference from the original DBZ anime, is Kai lacks the anime filler content and stops at the end of the Cell saga (which is where the original author Akira Toriyama wanted to end DBZ in the first place). It also starts at the beginning of the Saiyan Saga and doesn't include anything from Dragon Ball, which is the story of Goku as a child and how he meets Bulma & starts his journey as a martial artist.

Kai is more faithful to the manga than the original anime was. In some cases though, this could affect how some see the development of several key characters. In the original DBZ anime, one of the most touching, moments is Gohan surviving alone in the wilderness & the challenges and events he faces all influence the person he becomes later on. Much of this was cut in Kai, and unless you've already seen DBZ, it might seem a little jarring to see Gohan jump from a wimpy crybaby to a competent, compassionate person. You'll also miss out on some of the funnier filler episodes, such as the infamous episode where Goku and Piccolo are forced by Chi-Chi to get their drivers license.

Basically, you can't go wrong with watching Kai if you want a 1:1 adaptation of the manga without the fluff. But I would start with OG Dragon Ball and then watch Kai.

Kai doesn't stop at the Cell saga, it goes all the way through Buu / End of Z.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It would be unfair to call Kai a 1.1 adaptation of the manga since it basically skips 50% of the manga material.

Don't start with Kai until you have either watched OG DB or read up until chapter 195 of the DB manga. Kai is alright overall but not a good starting point at all.

GenericGhost

Nov 24, 2017
Anyone know where I can find the Royal Tomato for Turtle's side quest (right before leaving for Nameik) ? I talked to the farmer but I must have missed some dialog because he just tell me about fish lol

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Anyone know where I can find the Royal Tomato for Turtle's side quest (right before leaving for Nameik) ? I talked to the farmer but I must have missed some dialog because he just tell me about fish lol

Farmer wants 10 Great Energetic Fish in exchange for the Tomato.

You can find the Fish near ocean areas underwater with lots of Birds flying overhead. Best spot to check is the village docks in the world location where Kame House is.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
An update dropped on Xbox. I hope it's for the time machine. I have just the Mira fight left but I missed 3 quest earlier. And I'll be 100%

As of now I have the training / z / development/ god community board at 100% (cooking 4- adult 7- adventure 8)

it's nice that endgame you can start the fight already transformed and it doesn't take KI

55h. I guess around 57-58 I'll be done. What a game. So good even though they could add so much

Wishlist for dlc
-Pvp mode
-change costume
-make vegito and gotenks playable outside the story. Some pc modded already made this possible
-other characters. They all have unique movelist already here

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just now realizing you can link into any super move if you hit the dash button as a combo-ender rather than melee attack. This helps if you want to follow up with melee oriented super moves like meteor smash since they are close instead of flying away after the standard combo.

Damn....

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Listened to the Giant Bombcast chat on this and it was brutal. It's such a shame that this game buries A LOT of integral stuff in sub menus and takes a little while to get going because many will bounce straight off of it. Jeff basically assessed it on what was essentially still early tutorial stuff before the game opens up a bit more, and all the same, if the game can't grab you right away then fair play. He also bashed Cha-La-Head-Cha-La so I don't think this game was ever going to click for him on a nostalgia level either, haha.

I'm currently way into this game and really didn't think I would be, at least not in this way. I do need to pick up the pace a bit, I'm like 40 hrs in and only just at the beginning of the Android saga and I may be over leveled a bit...

In the original DBZ anime, one of the most touching moments is Gohan surviving alone in the wilderness, & the challenges and events he faces all influence the person he becomes later on. Much of this was cut in Kai, and unless you've already seen DBZ, it might seem a little jarring to see Gohan jump from a wimpy crybaby to a competent, compassionate person.
One of my favourite episodes is Gohan finding that broken down abandoned robot. It has some really sweet moments and like you mentioned.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
It would be unfair to call Kai a 1.1 adaptation of the manga since it basically skips 50% of the manga material.

Kai is closer to the manga and overall has better pacing than the original broadcast of DBZ. I always recommended Kai for a first time watcher because of it's tighter, brisk pace.

Kai doesn't stop at the Cell saga, it goes all the way through Buu / End of Z.

My bad, I completely forgot they did a "condensed" version of the Buu Saga in Kai. Regardless, it's still the most divisive Saga in Z (it has much more lows than highs), and I generally tell people to avoid watching it and instead just look up a summary of the Buu Saga, then watch DB Super.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Kai is such a better adaptation especially if you just wanna cut to the chase and don't have time for 250+ episodes, plus that dub is amazing.

the biggest bullshit tho is that you can't buy all the episodes digitally I bought 4 seasons and they just stopped.