• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Great! It makes me sad a Dragon Ball only game wouldn't be as successful and the battle system would need a complete overhaul to accommodate it. Congrats Bamco and CyberConnect2!

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
it was a great start for this type of game. Hoping the second style of this type of game gets a lot more refinement and care. You could clearly tell they rushed it to make deadlines in certain parts of the game.

Now if Xenoverse 3 could get this type of artstyle instead of the plastic shiny models we have.....that would be fantastic.

Oct 29, 2017
Loved the game, surprised to see the salt and the pretentious posts, to be honest. It's clearly a game for fans of the series and it absolutely delivered for me and apparently a lot of other people too, the world was beautifully realised and a lot of the little extras, interactions and conversations brought a smile to my face. Happy I ended up buying it.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How are the storm games?
Pretty great. Much better than Kakarot, they have really memorable setpieces from the show/manga represented with a lot of involvement (QTEs and other types of unique gameplay scenarios) - and a lot of polish.
The fighting system is very fun too, and you actually have a 1v1 duel mode outside the main story where you can play any character.
Also, no pointless huge empty open world - just hub-like iconic locations to traverse through.
Storm 2 and 3 are the best, 4 is pretty disappointing.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Pretty great. Much better than Kakarot, they have really memorable setpieces from the show/manga represented with a lot of involvement (QTEs and other types of unique gameplay scenarios) - and a lot of polish.
The fighting system is very fun too, and you actually have a 1v1 duel mode outside the main story where you can play any character.
Also, no pointless huge empty open world - just hub-like iconic locations to traverse through.
Storm 2 and 3 are the best, 4 is pretty disappointing.
I'll check them out. I loved kakarot.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wow! Congrats. Hopefully they get Naruto Storm budget for the next one!
It had about as many cinematics from the Storm games and a huge open world. Pretty sure this was a bigger budget than the Storm games. The Storm games were usually all flash, comparatively little substance when it came to the open world. Mostly running from point A to B in a mostly linear map.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Bamco has mastered the art of providing games that are barely good enough to sell massi
why bother making good games anyway
Thats the thing...these are "good" games, but nothing more or less. They put just enough effort into them to appeal to the fans of these IPs.
As the poster above me said UE4 for nice anime art style graphics and a couple of set pieces you can sell through a trailer + average gameplay + a large install base (PS4/Xbox/PC) = Success

Doubt they are changing this formula up anytime soon...too profitable.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It had about as many cinematics from the Storm games and a huge open world. Pretty sure this was a bigger budget than the Storm games. The Storm games were usually all flash, comparatively little substance when it came to the open world. Mostly running from point A to B in a mostly linear map.
Kakarot's cutscenes are pretty unpolished and also far less involved and grandiose than the Storm games cutscenes.
The open world was also mostly empty, and the combat system wasn't nearly as refined and didn't feature different game modes and not a lot of playable characters.
Definitely feels like the budget was missing this time around, hell even the graphics and the general polish of the game regarding dub and all that.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Finished the game yesterday, and even though it was quite rough in parts overall I love how fully it captured the entire series including the down time, and there were some truly great moments.

I would love a prequel covering all of Dragonball or for a similar open world game for other series like HxH. For all it's warts it was still wayyy better than the standard arena fighter garbage most anime games are.

Same. Kakarot was far from a perfect game, but in the areas it did well it exceeded than it had any right to. The opening hours where you spent time with Gohan (collecting apples & going fishing) was surprisingly wholesome & very slice of life.

The fact that Akira Toriyama wanted this game to fill in the gaps and cover stuff he either forgot/didn't cover in DBZ felt like organic inclusions (such as the sub quests explaining Launch's absence in DBZ was her trying to locate Tien, or how there was a fad drug that existed in OG Dragon Ball that was the cause of the anthropomorphic animals being prevalent).

I would be down to play a campaign expansion pass that adapted OG Dragon Ball, & it fixes Kakarot's shortcomings.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People saying "anime sells" are being silly.

DBZ and Naruto (and anything with them in it) sell. One Piece, old Bleach games, and new MHA games don't sell this well.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
At this rate it's on track to outsell GTAV within a year, get wrecked!

Nah that's pretty cool actually. I haven't bought it but think I might when it gets cheaper.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hope the good sales allow them to support it beyond the season pass. More characters and a tournament mode would be cool

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Calling your boring action game an RPG was very smart though

It's not really traditional, but it's definitely an action RPG.

Like, if this site can vote for HZD as one of the most influential RPGs ever solely because it has a skill tree, I can let the devs off with calling this an RPG.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Pirate Warriors games sell millions of copies in just a few weeks, with international sales overwhelming the JP sales? Do we have the sales data on it?
Last sales data said it sold a million in a year with the majority outside of Japan(releasing only on playstation and pc tho). The next title should do pretty well too. Wouldn't be suprised by it getting a million in a month.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
For all it's warts it was still wayyy better than the standard arena fighter garbage most anime games are.
Basically this.

Happy the game sold well, it's definitely not the half-assed effort some reviews described.

Edit:
Thats the thing...these are "good" games, but nothing more or less.
When "good" games are considered trash by people who didn't play them because reasons 🤷‍♀️

MegaShadowX

Feb 5, 2019
Loved the game, surprised to see the salt and the pretentious posts, to be honest. It's clearly a game for fans of the series and it absolutely delivered for me and apparently a lot of other people too, the world was beautifully realised and a lot of the little extras, interactions and conversations brought a smile to my face. Happy I ended up buying it.

Yeah, I have been playing it the last two weeks no stop! Its quality is largely superior to XV1 and XV2.