• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kuroneko0509

Oct 25, 2017
ad02fdcdfa.jpg

OVERVIEW
Dragon Marked For Death is a side-scrolling 2D action RPG that can played solo or with up to four players in local or online multiplayer.
Play as the survivors of the Dragonblood Clan who set out to take revenge on the Kingdom of Medius. To obtain the power they need to enact their revenge, they forge a pact with the Astral Dragon Atruum.
Choose from four playable characters, and defeat your enemies to gain experience and level up. Customize your character in a way that best suits your individual play style.

Developer: INTI CREATES
Publisher: INTI CREATES, Nighthawk Interactive (EN Physical ver.)
Language: English, Japanese
Play mode: Handheld, Tabletop, Docked
Price: Digital Pack (price per pack) - USD14.99 | GBP13.49 | EURxx.99 | JPY1,960 | AUDxx.95 | CND 18.89
Physical Version - USD49.99 | JPY6,458
Required Space: 564MB
Number of Players: 1 (Single player), 2-4 (Local & Online Multiplayer)
Genre: Action RPG
Release Date: 31/1/2019 (Digital & JP Physical), 26/3/2019 (EN Physical)
Cloud Save Backup: Supported

PLAYABLE CHARACTERS
Empress

466b4b7abc.png

The daughter of the Dragonblood Clan's chief. She bears the Dragon Scar in her arm. Through the contract with the Astral Dragon Atruum, she manifests the dragon in a variety of abilities.
She is proficient with the rapier, and the Dragon Arm can shoot fiery projectiles. Her Dragon Arm can also use energy to transform into a large blade to strike her foes.
In the air, her Arm can stretch into a wire-like form, hooking her onto objects and allowing her to swing.

Warrior
0f4b8d497b.png

A young man in the Dragonblood Clan. He bears the Dragon Scar in his chest, and his contract with Atruum grants him access to defense-focused abilities.
The Warrior can manifest the dragon to generate a large barrier. Inside the barrier, he and his allies are shielded from enemy attacks, and can even recover health.

Shinobi
fd422dc0b3.png

A young man in the Dragonblood Clan. He bears the Dragon Scar in his legs, and his contract with Atruum allows him to manifest the dragon to enhance his movement and jumping abilities.
He can make use of dashing, wall kicks, gliding, and double-jump abilities. The Dragon Legs also grant him powerful kicking techniques.

Witch
270a403f62.png

A young woman in the Dragonblood Clan, and the last known magician. Her head bears the Dragon Scar, and her hair manifests the dragon Atruum to allow her to chant incantations to invoke magic spells.
In addition to magical attacks, the Witch can create platforms in the air, heal her allies, and light darkened passages, appropriate to a support role.

SYSTEM
9a680ca07e.jpeg

Q&A
Why the digital version is split into 2 version?

I assume they want a lower price entry. $14.99 is a more attractive price for some people to bite instead of $39.99.
For the other pack you don't buy initially, you can get it via DLC option in the game title menu.
But from the look of it, seems it ends up causing confusions to some potential buyers.

Does the story is unique per playable characters?
Based on few hours I've played, no.

Why does physical version for western release delayed?
Maybe due to logistic issue? Unsure if the devs addressed the reason why in any prior interviews.

Can you play local multiplayer with single Switch?
No, each player need to play on separate unit. Think it like Monster Hunter co-op, not Mario.

PRODUCT
Digital Version

01c9bb952e.jpeg

- DMFD Frontier Fighters Pack - Empress & Warrior
Contains playable Empress & Warrior. Pre-purchasing this will also gives you Striker Gear DLC.

c84ca1a2d4.jpeg

- DMFD Advance Attackers Pack - Shinobi & Witch
Contains playable Shinobi & Witch. Pre-purchasing this will also gives you Striker Gear DLC.

Physical Version
0e563969c2.jpeg

Contains all 4 playable characters. Comes with Season Pass code. First print edition will also comes with Striker Gear code.

DLC
- Season Pass: Additional Quest
Contains additional quest (The Dragonblood Village) which available on launch, and additional storyline (The Dragonblood Bandit) which will be available late March.
- Striker Gear pre-purchase DLC

MEDIA
Screenshots

73b96a7a36.jpeg
137403442c.jpeg

d6a5175901.jpeg
19600e3baa.jpeg

d53fe614e4.jpeg
0c73dfd330.jpeg

Videos
1st Official Trailer
Animated Trailer Ver. A
2nd Official Trailer
Theme of DMFD
JP Voice Casts
Interview With the Composers
Building the World of DMFD Through Music

Last edited:

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Nice thread!

I'm having folk over tonight to play this, but I still need to decide what version of the game I'm going for.

OP
OP
kuroneko0509

kuroneko0509

Oct 25, 2017
apologies for the basic ot. didn't actually plan to do it since I thought someone else claimed it, but nope lol

Multiplayer Reminder

Netto-kun

Oct 27, 2017
Nice thread!

I'm having folk over tonight to play this, but I still need to decide what version of the game I'm going for.
Something to keep in mind if your friends don't have the game.

Taken from the other thread:
There is online. It requires Nintendo's online service, of course. You can NOT play multiplayer on a single Switch. Everyone needs their own Switch and copy of the game. But, yes, there is online play.

Edit: And btw the UK eShop price is £13:49

OP
OP
kuroneko0509

kuroneko0509

Oct 25, 2017
based on few hours with shinobi, i'd say the his gameplay is somewhat similar to copen from gunvolt
Is this co-developed or backed by Nintendo? Why is it exclusive to Switch?
this is originally marvelous project, more specifically yoshifumi hashimoto's (story of seasons/rune factory producer) project years ago for psp. but it seems it went to dev hell for years until it re-revealed for switch. my guess is that all this years of dev hell limits them to single platform.

Metallia

May 31, 2018
Been playing since the EU version unlocked and loving it. Definitely scratches that Dragon's Crown itch for me. The Witch is a hell of a lot of fun and very satisfying when you really start pulling off spells fast and clean.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I'll need reviews and gameplay impressions but those separated digital version will make the game icons weird so I'll probably wait for retail.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I'm interested in this ... but with Wargroove launching this week too and a retail version of the full package on the horizon for this game, i'm thinking of waiting for that.

The physical version does release in the EU, right?

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
very excited, hopefully I'll be able to play tonight. the rpg elements and gear make it much more enticing than if it were to just be a platformer.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I had some credit on my account so I bought the Advance pack despite knowing basically nothing about this game. Sometimes it's nice to go in sight unseen and get pleasantly surprised.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017

Game seems to be specifically made for multiplayer.

This review also stated that bosses and the like have the exact same HP in singleplayer and multiplayer...

Enemies are damage sponges in singleplayer.

OP
OP
kuroneko0509

kuroneko0509

Oct 25, 2017
not that much atm. only 3 on mc so far + 1 video linked above
https://www.dualshockers.com/dragon-marked-for-death-review-switch/
https://www.gamespace.com/reviews/switch-reviews/dragon-marked-for-death/
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/49545/dragon-marked-for-death-switch-review

skimming around, yeah it's kinda mixed due to how it is balanced toward multiplayer, which I hope inti creates will address this later.
personally I haven't reach part that it's being really frustrating to do solo so i'm still fine for now

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
This feels very nice to play.

Does Empress have any kind of defensive move?

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the first mission in multiplayer. That was hectic fun in the best possible way. Performed well too despite a ton of stuff going off in the boss fight (handheld).

Apr 24, 2018
Just finished the first mission in multiplayer. That was hectic fun in the best possible way. Performed well too despite a ton of stuff going off in the boss fight (handheld).
Good to hear - I buckled and pre-ordered this morning. Now I have to hope I can get a couple of my friends to get the game, as well. Unfortunately I recommended Dragon's Crown to one of my friends and he absolutely hated it (and we barely played online together).

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
The game supports video capture. Now imagine 3 other players pulling off abilities like this in a boss fight xD

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if I cave and buy one of these packs now, if my save data will carry over to the physical version?

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Oh, damn. I've been excited for this, but I wanted to wait for reviews. Things aren't looking great. I bet it would still be fun with friends, but might I be disappointed playing alone?

I like inti games, but I don't like grinding. If I'm looking for a single playthrough, what should my expectations be?

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Witch feels like a good idea with bad execution. The ability to heal is great but killing things takes too much time and effort in single-player and in multiplayer I'm always left behind fumbling with her ridiculously long inputs while everyone else is running ahead to do all the fighting. Dualshockers put it best, she takes the most work for the least reward. When I have to put in a command like R > AAAA > R > YBXBAB > R > BXBXBXBX > Y just to do the kind of damage that Shinobi can by simply mashing Y and A after locking onto an enemy, something has gone horribly wrong.

I can also echo the complaints that the game is very blatantly balanced for multiplayer with no thought towards keeping the single-player experience from feeling grindy. Hopefully there'll be some kind of patch on the way once they get wind of player feedback.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
Wait the game doesn't scale HP values? That would seem like the first thing to do in a game like this.
Is this confirmed?

Oct 27, 2017
Do not play this game single player. It is not balanced with that in mind, which is crazy.

Unfortunately I have not been able to play multiplayer with my brother and friends yet.

The game looks great, has a great soundtrack and controls/plays flawlessly. But, despite being a game in development since the PSP, it feels kind of empty and rushed. It's very clearly a project that didn't work that they desperately tried to salvage.

The level design is pretty bland and doesn't offer much.

The game is a big disappointment as a single player experience. I am very excited to try multiplayer, but multiplayer won't always be available for me so the single player being bad is heartbreaking.

I am still having fun, but it is definitely disappointing and the first disappointment of 2019.

Nov 3, 2017
Just did the tutorial mission with the Empress and seems pretty good so far. I wonder how easy it will be to respec your character. I always get worried with bonus stats on level up

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
I bought the Attacker Pack, but haven't messed with it. I'm bummed to hear that the single player isn't good. That's the main reason I got it. Getting someone to play the game with me is just not gonna happen since no one around my house plays these kind of games. I might check it out anyway just to see how it is. Perhaps they'll rebalance at some point.

Oct 29, 2017
This game seems very intriguing but my backlog is too big and new games I'm more interested are coming out soon for me to justify purchasing this right now. Also it kind of sucks to hear the single player impressions so far, but this game from everything I've seen DOES look like it was designed around multiplayer so I'm not surprised.

Getting someone to play the game with me is just not gonna happen since no one around my house plays these kind of games.
It has matchmaking.