• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have you tried buff and debuff? Try to set the healer on auto?
In a previous post I wrote I beat him
but at a high cost.

Setting any party member to auto during a boss fight with Draconian super strong monsters On sounds like a terrible idea.

Always everyone on "follow orders" when on boss fights. This game on hard doesn't fuck around.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone though the little story in Octagonia is... A little jarring?

The guy kindnaps his own friends to have their energy sucked by a giant spider monstrosity until they die, but then he apologizes and everything's fine. He is still celebrated as the town hero, is still kept in charge of a freaking orphanage, and the best part is that we don't see any of the people who are kidnapped again, so they're probably dead. Talk about comeuppance.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
What does Snap Crackle help with? Does it help against his scream that randomly stuns party members for one turn?

What's the recommended party for this? I tried Sylvando, Serena, Rab and Jade so I could have 3 guys buffing/debuffing and healing and Jade Multithrusting like nobody's business and I barely got the boss to yellow.
It helps with scream and debuff. I see you beat it already though.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017

The guy kindnaps his own friends to have their energy sucked by a giant spider monstrosity until they die, but then he apologizes and everything's fine. He is still celebrated as the town hero, is still kept in charge of a freaking orphanage, and the best part is that we don't see any of the people who are kidnapped again, so they're probably dead. Talk about comeuppance.

I think it is because the target audience. I think the story is trying not to be dark since the concept theme of the story is to be as lighthearted as it can be without being depressing

Ys45

Oct 25, 2017
I think it is because the target audience. I think the story is trying not to be dark since the concept theme of the story is to be as lighthearted as it can be without being depressing

Which is darker? someone who did this or someone who
Tried to kill herself with her baby by throwing herself down a cliff in the ocean because her husband and father died?

That's what I like about this series, the game is lighthearted and silly but sometimes you get some dark and sad stories (there was also a sad love story in 7 IIRC)

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
I'm about 50 hours in, but roughly how far into the game am I at this point?

Just beat Booga and got Jade back.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Which is darker? someone who did this or someone who
Tried to kill herself with her baby by throwing herself down a cliff in the ocean because her husband and father died?

That's what I like about this series, the game is lighthearted and silly but sometimes you get some dark and sad stories (there was also a sad love story in 7 IIRC)
I dont know. Actually

But maybe XI is trying to captivate forgiveness theme. It's been recurring theme in the game if you havent noticed it yet.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
So I just got Rab and Jade. I'm a little confused about something.

It's about Jade's past. I'm confused as to the timeline of things. Just to clarify:

-Jade is in Dundrasil living with Luminary's mom

-Dundrasil falls and she's separated from the Luminary and his mother, who ultimately sacrifices herself

-Rab finds her and they go to Heliodor, where they stay for a while until things turn strange

-This prompts them to leave in order to find out the truth

My question is why was Jade in Dundrasil in the first place? Jade said that she's the princess of Heliodor, so shouldn't that mean she should have been there? She said her mother died soon after she was born, but when did this happen? I'm having a little trouble fitting in where this belongs. Apologies if this was explained and I missed something. Or is this something that will be elaborated on later in the game?

They'll talk about it in detail later, but if you've talked to certain NPCs (and read books?) it's actually been said already! Though in a way you might have quickly forgotten/not picked up on.

I'll say as much as you could already know here, if you want it.

There used to be a "Coliquoy of Kings" where the various leaders of the game's nations met up to dicusss things. In fact, if you think back to the opening, you can see the leaders (Rab included!) discussing your birth. And, in general, other NPCs (I can think of one in Puerto Valor at least) have said Princess Jade died in Dundrasil, so it's thankfully not inconsistent before then either.

And, well, Jade says she was close to your mom (I assume over the course of similar royal events), so of course she'd want to go to see the new baby anyway, hah.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017

It's awkwardly handled and indeed jarring, but to clear something up...

They don't die; that's why Jade goes to cut them down instead of helping you fight.

Apparently the fighters are even in the upstairs area after, but I forgot to check myself after I learned that and then some story stuff changed the dialogue in the area so it's harder to tell who's a generic fighter vs a townsperson, hah. I feel like Golden Boy or w/e is in the lower area talking about Sylvando saving him...? Or maybe he was talking about the fight in the arena, I forget.

In any case, they're alive, though Vince gets off pretty easily regardless. Guess the town sorta puts it down to the negative effects of their arena obsession/glorifying of champions, but still...

Suburban Thug

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Midwest
Is grinding necessary in this game? I've been fighting pretty much every mob I come across.

EDIT:
Also some first impressions here: some nice QoL fixes would include an EXP bar being shown along with HP/MP so you know how much more you need before leveling up instead of having to go to the attributes sub menu. I also would appreciate if enemy health bars were displayed.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Is grinding necessary in this game? I've been fighting pretty much every mob I come across.

EDIT:
Also some first impressions here: some nice QoL fixes would include an EXP bar being shown along with HP/MP so you know how much more you need before leveling up instead of having to go to the attributes sub menu. I also would appreciate if enemy health bars were displayed.

You might burn yourself out that way, hah.

Grinding is absolutely not necessary if you're playing on the basic difficulty, so don't fight more than you feel like. I run past a decent amount of monsters unless I'm feeling like filling out the list of enemies in an area (more likely if there's only a few).

Draconian... somebody else can speak to that.

OrinX

Oct 27, 2017
You might burn yourself out that way, hah.

Grinding is absolutely not necessary if you're playing on the basic difficulty, so don't fight more than you feel like. I run past a decent amount of monsters unless I'm feeling like filling out the list of enemies in an area (more likely if there's only a few).

Draconian... somebody else can speak to that.

Only 2 times I need to grind for draconian mode so far.

Aractogon kept killing me with his AOE spam and I could not stay alive with single target heals, so i used seeds/level Sylvando up a few levels.

2nd to last boss of the 2nd act. Tried to kill them at level 43, no dice. So I grinded to 48.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Now I've done almost everything that can be done in the game. The only thing left is the hard mode of the horse race in Gallapolis but I don't know if I should bother since there is no trophy for it. Maybe it is time to beat the last boss.

OrinX

Oct 27, 2017
Omg! I am so glad I did the Cobblestone stuff first in Act 3. I wish there was a spell to show you how much HP an enemy had. Knight Watch saved my ass again.

Fauve

Oct 28, 2017
They'll talk about it in detail later, but if you've talked to certain NPCs (and read books?) it's actually been said already! Though in a way you might have quickly forgotten/not picked up on.

I'll say as much as you could already know here, if you want it.

There used to be a "Coliquoy of Kings" where the various leaders of the game's nations met up to dicusss things. In fact, if you think back to the opening, you can see the leaders (Rab included!) discussing your birth. And, in general, other NPCs (I can think of one in Puerto Valor at least) have said Princess Jade died in Dundrasil, so it's thankfully not inconsistent before then either.

And, well, Jade says she was close to your mom (I assume over the course of similar royal events), so of course she'd want to go to see the new baby anyway, hah.

Oh that's pretty cool. I usually tend to not speak to as much NPCs as I should lol. But I do read all the books I find looking for recipes.

meloa

Nov 10, 2017
I have another question...how do y'all get your armor to look different? I've seen screenshots where people have their fit totally customized. I'm stuck with the default

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I have another question...how do y'all get your armor to look different? I've seen screenshots where people have their fit totally customized. I'm stuck with the default

There are certain items that change the default appearance, they have some red stars on the icons and say in the description they change your look.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Niiiice, are there any items I can make to do that? Or I gotta look for them?

You can make some of them, and those look pretty nice; I'm reluctant to change my hero's armor now because I like the pretty long lasting one I crafted for him (after using another costume) way more than his default look, but it's getting outclassed by new equipment... I wish there was a way to just equip an outfit as a costume only but have different equipment under it.

Anyway, looking at your posts, you were in Gondolia, right? There's one for Veronica that you can haggle down to fairly cheap with a little running between shopkeepers there. I've never given her anything else, actually. And you can probably craft another outfit for her and Serena already; I think that might also be the case for Erik? There's also a very good one for the hero you can get through, I believe I have the count correctly, the second easiest horse race in Gallopolis too; that's the one I used before the current one I have.

meloa

Nov 10, 2017
You can make some of them, and those look pretty nice; I'm reluctant to change my hero's armor now because I like the pretty long lasting one I crafted for him (after using another costume) way more than his default look, but it's getting outclassed by new equipment... I wish there was a way to just equip an outfit as a costume only but have different equipment under it.

Anyway, looking at your posts, you were in Gondolia, right? There's one for Veronica that you can haggle down to fairly cheap with a little running between shopkeepers there. I've never given her anything else, actually. And you can probably craft another outfit for her and Serena already; I think that might also be the case for Erik? There's also a very good one for the hero you can get through, I believe I have the count correctly, the second easiest horse race in Gallopolis too; that's the one I used before the current one I have.
I was just in Gondolia, but I've now made it to the tournament. When I was there, though, I found a guy who was gonna sell me an outfit for Veronica but it was 12000 gold, I don't have that much ;-; but I only bought the hat (it was a cat costume I think) I'm also not sure of the proper ingredients I need, if I have them or where to find them even

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
I was just in Gondolia, but I've now made it to the tournament. When I was there, though, I found a guy who was gonna sell me an outfit for Veronica but it was 12000 gold, I don't have that much ;-; but I only bought the hat (it was a cat costume I think) I'm also not sure of the proper ingredients I need, if I have them or where to find them even
Have to haggle with the other merchant selling it.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017

You can go back and forth between them and their brother (same side of the town, one's just by the entrance and the other's on the outer/higher edge stalls) to lower it down from there; you should probably be able to afford it after. It's only 2 parts, the suit and the hat; the item's stat screen will always tell you what other parts are needed for the outfit.

For crafting, you can check the lists under Misc. in the menu. You'll see what materials things require, and then if you've gotten them before (from a sparkly spot or a monster drop) you can check where you got it in the item list.

meloa

Nov 10, 2017
Have to haggle with the other merchant selling it.

You can go back and forth between them and their brother (same side of the town, one's just by the entrance and the other's on the outer/higher edge stalls) to lower it down from there; you should probably be able to afford it after. It's only 2 parts, the suit and the hat; the item's stat screen will always tell you what other parts are needed for the outfit.

For crafting, you can check the lists under Misc. in the menu. You'll see what materials things require, and then if you've gotten them before (from a sparkly spot or a monster drop) you can check where you got it in the item list.
Thanks so much guys

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I am incredibly angry at how this fight ended... Start of final area of the main game...

Well, I have other thoughts about Arboria, but...

Ok, so this fucker was wasting my team. I held on for a while, fiiiiinally got him poisoned and Erik got a solid buffed/debuffed Divided Victimizer on him and instantly got him into orange health. Then he got pepped, the wrong people kept dying and Sylvando got knocked down so I couldn't even heal nor remove his pep, I used leaves to keep Rab alive enough to start Zing Sticking but nobody would fucking stay alive even when I got a Hustle Dance in, and of course the times I tried Zing with others so that Rab could finally cast Blunt again they fucking failed.

At the end, it was Sylvando. I used his last leaf to rez Erik. Because Erik had a Yggdrasil Dew. I thought it would revive everyone. It did not.

Sylvando's turn remained. "Well, might as well take the turn..." I thought.

Kiss Me Deadly. Did less than 100 damage.

He died.

Literally could have just done one more attack, before wasting all those fucking items. Oh my god.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a burning question:

If a character is weilding X weapon but in the Character Builder he or she learns a passive skill belonging to the tree of Y weapon would I still enjoy it even if I'm using X weapon if it doesn't say "when wielding"?

For example: My Serena is using regular Wands but under Heavy Wands there's a skill named "Pep Chance +10% (Increases the chance of getting pepped-up)". Note that it doesn't say "when wielding" like others skills do.

Does it work in my favor or not if I'm toting regular Wands?

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I have a burning question:

If a character is weilding X weapon but in the Character Builder he or she learns a passive skill belonging to the tree of Y weapon would I still enjoy it even if I'm using X weapon if it doesn't say "when wielding"?

For example: My Serena is using regular Wands but under Heavy Wands there's a skill named "Pep Chance +10% (Increases the chance of getting pepped-up)". Note that it doesn't say "when wielding" like others skills do.

Does it work in my favor or not if I'm toting regular Wands?
If it doesn't say "when wielding" you also always get the benefit.

You can also use pep powers without wielding.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
So I'm going through the trials now, and they're apparently remixed dungeons of sorts. How much is left of Act 3? Can I just go beat Calasmos now? I just want to see the end of the story.

Ventilaator

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
After the broken insanity of Dora-in-Grey, fighting the ice witch was just...funny. You regularly get turns, and she didn't really seem to have a fuck-you attack, so I just attacked and healed and was fine.

So when after the fight there was the reveal that you didn't actually capture the witch, I assumed the fight was just phase 1 and easy on purpose and now the real fight is about to start, but no it was all just fine and everyone is friends now.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beat it at around 150hrs with the Platinum. Couldn't believe how fast the time racked up. My wife will probably be glad to not hear the music anymore. :D
I'm curious: did you beat it with any Draconian modifiers on? Cause I have super strong enemies on, I'm level 54ish, close to the end of Act 2 and I'm 130+ hours in! And all of this with sill little less than 50% of the trophy list done!

Because of some hard as nails bosses I've had to spend lo much time foraging, forging and grinding so I know I'm over the average of playtime but how over am I?

Kylarean

Oct 25, 2017
Gig Harbor, WA
I'm curious: did you beat it with any Draconian modifiers on? Cause I have super strong enemies on, I'm level 54ish, close to the end of Act 2 and I'm 130+ hours in! And all of this with sill little less than 50% of the trophy list done!

Because of some hard as nails bosses I've had to spend lo much time foraging, forging and grinding so I know I'm over the average of playtime but how over am I?

Nope. I just collect all the items, recipes, monster lists, etc.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
What should I be doing with skill points by mid game?

I've pretty much filled in all the trees for the weapons they're using, and filling in other trees are useless if you don't have that weapon type equipped so...?

Himemomoko

Aug 29, 2018
Just wiped at P2 of the main-game-final-boss with all draconian restrictions. My party leve is ~43 on average. Haven't been such excited for a long time!

DpTO1RhX4AAuCj6.jpg:small

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just wiped at P2 of the main game final boss with all draconian restrictions. My party leve is ~43 on average. Haven't been such excited for a long time!

DpTO1RhX4AAuCj6.jpg:small
ALL draconian restrictions? Holy shit! I have only super strong monsters on and I'm around level 54 at the final dungeon and 130 hours in. I can't imagine having everything else turned on.

Is this our very first playthrough? Shit like shypox doesn't even sound like fun for me. I have enough RNG bullshit to go through in fights that I don't wish I'd have to deal with RNG NPCs who won't wish to talk to me and hinder my progress or sidequests. It's taking me so fucking long as is!

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
What should I be doing with skill points by mid game?

I've pretty much filled in all the trees for the weapons they're using, and filling in other trees are useless if you don't have that weapon type equipped so...?
Once you reach the 2nd part of the game and you complete each character's "arc", they will unlock new skills, which will let you invest more points into stuff. This however comes at various times, and for some characters only happen during the postgame even. Putting points in other weapons for utility skills can be useful however, because you can switch weapons in combat at no cost. So for example whips have a skill that lets them dispel enemy buffs, which on hard mode can be pretty useful to remove Pep from bosses which generally make them hit like trucks for ~3turns, or if they get Oomphed or whatever. Getting Boomerangs skills on Erik is great for when you just want to use him to aoe clear stuff, with Boomerangs he has some of the best "real" aoes in the game which is great for bosses with adds. Some characters also have other trees you can put points in that aren't weapon dependant like the charm stuff for Jade so it shouldn't be too much of an issue unless you're very overleveled.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Has anyone put Jade through unarmed, but actually remove her weapon too? There really isn't any reason to do it, as far as I know, since the attack from any weapon she uses is still used for unarmed skills, I just love her battle stance when unarmed, and was wondering if she still fights well regardless.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Has anyone put Jade through unarmed, but actually remove her weapon too? There really isn't any reason to do it, as far as I know, since the attack from any weapon she uses is still used for unarmed skills, I just love her battle stance when unarmed, and was wondering if she still fights well regardless.
You need to equip her weapon