• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
OK, I just beat the game... and I feel so empty inside. It'll be tough for any game to follow up an act as well crafted as Dragon Quest XI. I was burnt out on the game part way through, but I picked it up again to continue and the game is one of the few that keeps getting better and better.

Amazing game. For anyone who is thinking of giving up or already gave up, do yourselves a favor and continue the quest, use a guide if you have to. If you love JRPG's then you owe it to yourself to complete this game.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Just forged the Sword of Light an its not even a greatsword?! Whata hunk of scrap! Can I just toss it back into the volcano? I hope you're not forced ta use it for some battle gimmick!! Can I go to what I assume is the final dungeon and win the game Only got 4 of the 6 orbs, though I imagine Jasper has one of 'em. Cool if Mordegon has the other an I was just misrembering that there were 6 Spectral Sentinels.

Just don't touch offensive stuff on her and she seems to work well? There's honestly no real need for that when you have several other characters who can do that better, and can't do the other stuff she can do.

Honestly I (though again, haven't done act 3 still) never used either of them a ton. Generally felt easier to buff others' physical damage rather than have Veronica do any magic damage, and other people could heal suffienctly enough that Serena wasn't super necessary.

But later in the game it was good to use her as a healer/buffer, as she had access to a ton of stuff and also has a buff that instantly resurrects you if you're killed with it on you... so she can cast that on herself, and then if most of the active party goes down she can then use her guaranteed resurrect to get someone back up. Especially as she keeps the buff while swapped out, so you can use that as a way to keep holding on if things get real bad and you need to bring her in, and then start rapidly swapping others in and out as you res and/or heal them while still keeping them out of the party at the end of the turn.
I really liked magic in this game as opposed to bashing away. Eric w/boomerangs & Veronica with magic'd slay big batches of baddies usually before anyone could get their turns. Serena with Thunder Thrusts my metal baddie killer. Which she's still useful for. Many Hardy Hands died tonight ^_^;

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
I actually rotated to Serena instead of Rab for late game healing strictly because of her Echoes talent. It's expensive at 65 points but getting doubled attack, heals and boosts at various points was a huge improvement. That said I do like Rab's Right As Rain a ton; that much heal-over-time for the entire group was a nice buffer. I never used Serena for attack, that seems a bit odd to me given her setup; I rolled Hero with sword+shield, Hendriks with axe+shield, Sylvando with dual wield but mostly as a buff machine and backup healer, and Serena as healbot with wand+shield.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
I did it! I beat the game!

18 days, 27 sessions, 63:51:27 ("63:42") hours played. That real-time vs. what it says on the save file is ultra close. Like any other DQ game I've played the difference is 2 hours and up. Wish I knew when the ingame clock stops/starts cause if its not counting the initial load then its entirely possible it is for once real-time accurate o.o

RPG makers take note: having some crazy event scatter the players team an force 'em back to square one in rebuilding 'em is never fun an it never will be. I didn't wanna take my time an enjoy things, battle baddie, forge, or do quests. I just wanted my full team asap an it didn't come nearly quickly enough.

Really good game outside of around 13~15 hours of the second half. Never saw any videos of DQ11 prior to release and very few screenshots. From those I saw I thought the character/backgrounds looked weird against one another but while playing I never noticed any weirdness. Everything fit and looked good. Soundtrack also was good. An the gameplay was pretty relaxed compared to other DQs I've played. Wouldn't call it super easy, just more forgiving all around. Now onto another game~

Oct 27, 2017
Bought the game today and was expecting to be super bored early on, based on what everyone says about the beginning, but I've been pretty into it so far!

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Did you clear the Forest of Pain yet >_>?
giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
I keep thinking about this game even after spending 147 hours to do everything in it. What a game.

I did it! I beat the game!

18 days, 27 sessions, 63:51:27 ("63:42") hours played. That real-time vs. what it says on the save file is ultra close. Like any other DQ game I've played the difference is 2 hours and up. Wish I knew when the ingame clock stops/starts cause if its not counting the initial load then its entirely possible it is for once real-time accurate o.o

RPG makers take note: having some crazy event scatter the players team an force 'em back to square one in rebuilding 'em is never fun an it never will be. I didn't wanna take my time an enjoy things, battle baddie, forge, or do quests. I just wanted my full team asap an it didn't come nearly quickly enough.

Really good game outside of around 13~15 hours of the second half. Never saw any videos of DQ11 prior to release and very few screenshots. From those I saw I thought the character/backgrounds looked weird against one another but while playing I never noticed any weirdness. Everything fit and looked good. Soundtrack also was good. An the gameplay was pretty relaxed compared to other DQs I've played. Wouldn't call it super easy, just more forgiving all around. Now onto another game~

You aren't done if you finished Act 2.

I mean the game makes it pretty obvious that the game isn't over after Act 2 so maybe you actually finished it.

Last edited:

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
lol hang in there!

You aren't done if you finished Act 2.

I mean the game makes it pretty obvious that the game isn't over after Act 2 so maybe you actually finished it.
This whole "Act" things just fanon in the end. At no point in the game does it drop a title card or something saying what Act/Chapter you're in an thank goodness for that! Anyone wants ta talk immersion breakers well those are some of the biggest offenders imo!

big baddie down + non-fakeout credits (bonus w/epilogue scenes!) = game won! Lemme tell ya about DQ post-games/bonus dungeons I've done~
DQ8: no, DQ4: no, DQ5: no, DQ9: kinda? (grinded alot for grindings sake), DQ6: no, Joker 2: no, Joker: no, DQ7: I couldn't trade this game away any faster aka no. This no/yes ratio holds pretty closely to true across games in general for me! If 11s post-game doesn't scatter an make ya rebuild your team AGAIN I may take a peek at it when I gots some gaming downtime but right now I'm done dual-playing rpgs an got quite alil list of games I wanna get to backlogged or otherwise!

Other thoughts: I never once sold anything throughout the whole game. Money was useful for healing items early on and equipment in a pinch when I didn't have forging materials or new stuff being sold got ahead of the forging lists. Neat that ya pretty much got what ya needed to continue on without having to grind money/materials or deal with selling stuffs off!

What was up with the loading in the second half of the game? Zoom to some place an get hit with that Slime hourglass loading thing alot! Heck, not even Zooming to a place forced it. That volcano area toward the very end had it out for me! An then there was the Fortress of Loading... I mean Fear! What was up with that place? Other dungeons an even big old towns, larely load free. That place? Pretty much any door ya opened was a load zone. Not the bestest way to end things!

Oct 25, 2017
lol hang in there!

This whole "Act" things just fanon in the end. At no point in the game does it drop a title card or something saying what Act/Chapter you're in an thank goodness for that! Anyone wants ta talk immersion breakers well those are some of the biggest offenders imo!

big baddie down + non-fakeout credits (bonus w/epilogue scenes!) = game won! Lemme tell ya about DQ post-games/bonus dungeons I've done~
DQ8: no, DQ4: no, DQ5: no, DQ9: kinda? (grinded alot for grindings sake), DQ6: no, Joker 2: no, Joker: no, DQ7: I couldn't trade this game away any faster aka no. This no/yes ratio holds pretty closely to true across games in general for me! If 11s post-game doesn't scatter an make ya rebuild your team AGAIN I may take a peek at it when I gots some gaming downtime but right now I'm done dual-playing rpgs an got quite alil list of games I wanna get to backlogged or otherwise!

Other thoughts: I never once sold anything throughout the whole game. Money was useful for healing items early on and equipment in a pinch when I didn't have forging materials or new stuff being sold got ahead of the forging lists. Neat that ya pretty much got what ya needed to continue on without having to grind money/materials or deal with selling stuffs off!

What was up with the loading in the second half of the game? Zoom to some place an get hit with that Slime hourglass loading thing alot! Heck, not even Zooming to a place forced it. That volcano area toward the very end had it out for me! An then there was the Fortress of Loading... I mean Fear! What was up with that place? Other dungeons an even big old towns, larely load free. That place? Pretty much any door ya opened was a load zone. Not the bestest way to end things!

The Act 3 of DQXI is not just a post game dungeon, story wise it's actually really meaningful and Credits rolling in no way or form mean a game is over.

It's like if you stopped playing a Yoko Taro game after seeing the credits once, that'd be ridiculous lol.

The game makes it obvious with the To be Continued at the end of the credits, you still don't know about the Seer, about Mordegon, the mysterious black/white creatures, etc... You're not done, Dragon Quest XI has a powerful ending and a real credits sequence.

Last edited:

Slime Stack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
I get why people call it postgame but it's really not. It's the conclusion of the narrative. DQXI doesn't end at
Mordegon

Last edited:

Deleted member 11943

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well I just got to credits. Can I turn off draconian quest now? I'm losing steam...

I really enjoyed the challenge so far, but there were moments I had to level up to get past. Ended on level 56. Does anyone want to say if the balance is good moving forward, is there even another congrats splash?

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
Well I just got to credits. Can I turn off draconian quest now? I'm losing steam...

I really enjoyed the challenge so far, but there were moments I had to level up to get past. Ended on level 56. Does anyone want to say if the balance is good moving forward, is there even another congrats splash?

Just turn off the Draconian difficulty and the play the game normally. Do what it takes to beat the game. You don't get anything for the Draconian difficulty except. Just enjoy the game.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Dora in grey is pathetic on draconian, she had all 4 of my party charmed at once in the last attempt... I don't know if I was supposed to go after the silver orb first and am underleveled but this is impossible...

Oct 25, 2017
I get why people call it postgame but it's really not. It's the conclusion of the narrative. DQXI doesn't end at
Mordegon

There's like a solid two hours of cutscenes, then a bunch of Hard Mode content that is going through old and revised areas. Yes, there's a narrative reason to finish it up, but it gets called post-game because it follows a bunch of genre-standard concepts for post-game content. Everyone should to those first hours of cutscenes, but doing the entirety of it is totally optional.

Just turn off the Draconian difficulty and the play the game normally. Do what it takes to beat the game. You don't get anything for the Draconian difficulty except. Just enjoy the game.

The post-game already is its own kind of Hard Mode, so turning off Draconian there actually makes sense. Act 2 Draconian to Act 3 Regular feels pretty even, I think?

Dora in grey is pathetic on draconian, she had all 4 of my party charmed at once in the last attempt... I don't know if I was supposed to go after the silver orb first and am underleveled but this is impossible...

The best and worst fight of the game. It is exciting, but shows how the game isn't at all designed or balanced around the idea of the game being hard. Critical hits and RNG status ailments are a total pain to deal with, and Draconian makes crits worse, right? (Higher rate due to enemy stat boost)? And ignores Defense, so you can't even mitigate it in a normal way.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't find the post-game that difficult in Draconian, I don't see why people say to turn it off.

There's just ONE boss that I did find really difficult, but that one is optional.

The dragon in the south of the snow area.

I only had a single game over in my whole run and it's their fault.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I dunno I'm kind of feeling burnt out after getting to part 2 and tempted to put this off for a bit and try Zestiria.

But I worry I'll never be arsed to come back and finish if I give up...like Xenoblade. :(

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Serena's snap, crackle, pop makes that fight a lot easier, managed to beat her comfortably just spamming it

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017

The post game is really hard even in default difficulty, the difficulty spike is ridiculous lol. I honestly applaud anyone that managed to did them in Hard difficulty.

I turned off no-exp from weaker enemies just so I can farm exp from Electro Light...

I dunno I'm kind of feeling burnt out after getting to part 2 and tempted to put this off for a bit and try Zestiria.

But I worry I'll never be arsed to come back and finish if I give up...like Xenoblade. :(

How far are you in Part 2 ?

You should finish the main portion of the game and at least experience the post game twist (which is really short, as the bulk of post game consist of strengthening your party for the final battle).

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah...I guess these little part 2 episodes I'm doing are kind of weak.

At least I got some nice skills to make grinding faster. What's a good average level for the main story, like 45?

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also:

Encountering a boss enemy as a random enemy = wow that's cool, I feel like a bad-ass

Encountering a random enemy as a boss = wow, way to cheap out this far into the game

That Avarith episode was sooooooo underwhelming. Though I did like the stupid lisp joke.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Happy to be reunited with my old friend :)

Major spoilers:

ill miss short haired Serena though :(

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Was majorly distracted yesterday but did fiiiiinally get into postgame story.

...it made me suddenly infuriated about the silent/practically emotionless protagonist? In a way I had not felt before.

The absolute fuck are you doing, dude?

You get sent back in time to stop Mordegon from taking over and you tell your friends absolutely nothing? You don't prepare? You just let them march to their possible deaths again?

Then you get to the sword and, well, let's say you didn't actually remember anything before now. But now you explicitly do remember that the king is Mordegon. And... oh, nope, you're still saying nothing to your friends? Still letting them hang out in his castle, letting Jade think her father's back, 0 effort to make sure they're safe? Not even a look of frustration when he makes his pathetic attempts at acting kingly by the sword- you're just going :| constantly? Constantly going :|? Really? Really?

It kills pretty much any sense of satisfaction from doing the time travel because it feels like you bumble into changing anything because you took 0 advantage of it beyond going "guess I'll use this sword against Jasper". There's no smugness, no turning the tables on Mordegon, it's just :| and vaguely surprising Jasper. Super unsatisfying.

Not to mention that the time travel left a weird taste in my mouth to begin with. The party comes across as completely selfish. They care entirely about themselves and that's it. Like... yes, ok, obviously this is a situation where, given the loss of life involved, it is better to go back for the sake of the world no matter what. But... you recognize the friendships you've forged/strengthened since that point, but not that others have done? There's lots of people you've seen become close and find happiness together after the tragedy; spare at least a little thought about you destroying all that...

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Bit late but finally get the true ending.

I'm glad I finished Dragon Quest 1 and 3 first.

I have feeling that final cutscene is from DQ3 beginning, so I started a new game on Dragon Quest 3 on my phone and true enough it have the same dialogue.

Dec 2, 2017
I just started playing this, up to the Hotto Plain. I really like it so far, I'd been burned out on the series for a while, but early on this seems like a contender for best in the series. There's just one big issue, nothing new here but OMG THIS HORRIBLE MUSIC. I can'y believe this one short shrill loop in the open world keeps playing & playing & playing. On PS4 so it's not like I can just switch the files. This is psychotic, like I actually had to turn the music off, it was physically painful. I'm sure the composer's not the kind of guy you can say no to, but it's inexcusable that a series with this much money behind it can't just throw in some more overworld tunes. Soundcloud is full of thousands of people who could do better than this for a pittance.

But anyway, the storytelling's really well done, getting almost a Final Fantasy IX vibe from the whole fairy tale setting, I really like it.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
I just started playing this, up to the Hotto Plain. I really like it so far, I'd been burned out on the series for a while, but early on this seems like a contender for best in the series. There's just one big issue, nothing new here but OMG THIS HORRIBLE MUSIC. I can'y believe this one short shrill loop in the open world keeps playing & playing & playing. On PS4 so it's not like I can just switch the files. This is psychotic, like I actually had to turn the music off, it was physically painful. I'm sure the composer's not the kind of guy you can say no to, but it's inexcusable that a series with this much money behind it can't just throw in some more overworld tunes. Soundcloud is full of thousands of people who could do better than this for a pittance.

But anyway, the storytelling's really well done, getting almost a Final Fantasy IX vibe from the whole fairy tale setting, I really like it.

I agree with the music. I turned down the music volume in the settings to either 2 or 3 compared to the voices and sound effects set at 10 and 8, respectively. The music quality aside, it's a stellar game.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
Yeah, that was the compromise I ended up settling on too.

Just stick with it though. Your initial thought of this entry possibly being the best in the series is solid. I think the best description for the game I've read actually came from a user from Resetera a month back in this thread: By the time Act 1 ends, the game is good. By the time Act 2 ends, the game is great. By the time Act 3 ends, the game is a masterpiece.

Oct 25, 2017
I got this game to play In between RE2 play sessions and am absolutely LOVVVVING it. I'm a big DQ fan but I put this off due to not having much time when it came out last year. Kinda wish I didn't though because it's absolute bliss so far :)

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Act 2 and am thinking of stopping here. Ended great and didn't overstay its welcome.

Don't know much about Act 3 but heard that the story feels better if you leave it at Act 2.

Also kinda don't feel like playing for another 30-40 hours, pretty sure I'll get sick of the game by then (so would rather stop on a positive note).

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at what feels like the conclusion of the second act, but -- without delving into spoilers -- can anyone answer the following:
I'm in the evil purple floating castle. Am I now at the end of the game? I know there's a third act or post-game. But is this the end of the game as such? There are a bunch of unresolved threads like the kid that got transformed into a dragon and the star that was supposed to crash into the desert kingdom. Is that resolved in the post-game, or is there more to come after this castle?

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I'm at what feels like the conclusion of the second act, but -- without delving into spoilers -- can anyone answer the following:
I'm in the evil purple floating castle. Am I now at the end of the game? I know there's a third act or post-game. But is this the end of the game as such? There are a bunch of unresolved threads like the kid that got transformed into a dragon and the star that was supposed to crash into the desert kingdom. Is that resolved in the post-game, or is there more to come after this castle?

Yes, that is the final dungeon of act 2.

Of those two things, the latter is definitely given time in post-game and the former seems to be addressed in optional content - but it's been a couple weeks since I played thanks to KH3 and I didn't start on that bit when I last played, so I can't speak to how much resolving of that happens.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
Making a little more progress with the game. Just visited the Mini Medal Academy and I'm heading off to the Eyrie. I'm doing this bit right after visiting Nautica, I don't remember doing it in this order before, but I'll go where the game tells me, it's been a while.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
Any tips for the final boss of act 2? Had no problems getting through the dungeon, and no problems with the first of the two battles, but the second one is just brutal with all the zing, zing, zing.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm at Octagonia the second time, am I anywhere near the end? I like the game but I;m over 90 hours playtime now...

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at Octagonia the second time, am I anywhere near the end? I like the game but I;m over 90 hours playtime now...
I was there about 12 hours ago, but I'm doing story rush. So outside of breaking the casino and then buying good weapons I haven't really stopped for side quests, and unless the final boss of act 2 truly seems impossible at my levels I am trying to grind as little as possible.

I have tried it twice so far. First time was an unoptimized character builder and sub-optimal character lineup and got wiped quickly after both mordragon and Lord of Shadows both descended.

Second time after optimizing, I got all the way through killing lord of shadows twice, and mordragon got down to yellow. but then lord of shadows got zinged, immediately one shot my healers. Subbed in Sylvando (hustle dance as back up for the backup multiheal) and was able to take him down again and continue the pain on mordragon. Mordragon got down to red, but then an ill-timed breath attack just ate my party.

While I am not on draconian or anything, I have had no bosses I couldn't just optimize my character board and then beat on the second time through, so I am looking for hints or new things to try.

also what levels you were on would be interesting as well.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
I was there about 12 hours ago, but I'm doing story rush. So outside of breaking the casino and then buying good weapons I haven't really stopped for side quests, and unless the final boss of act 2 truly seems impossible at my levels I am trying to grind as little as possible.

I have tried it twice so far. First time was an unoptimized character builder and sub-optimal character lineup and got wiped quickly after both mordragon and Lord of Shadows both descended.

Second time after optimizing, I got all the way through killing lord of shadows twice, and mordragon got down to yellow. but then lord of shadows got zinged, immediately one shot my healers. Subbed in Sylvando (hustle dance as back up for the backup multiheal) and was able to take him down again and continue the pain on mordragon. Mordragon got down to red, but then an ill-timed breath attack just ate my party.

While I am not on draconian or anything, I have had no bosses I couldn't just optimize my character board and then beat on the second time through, so I am looking for hints or new things to try.

also what levels you were on would be interesting as well.

I was late leveled to the mid-50's when fighting with the best gear from shops at the time. For that second part of final boss fight, change your strategy up by killing the
Mordragon so that it doesn't resurrect Mordegon every time. I struggled with the boss fight at first too until I realized the dragon keeps resurrecting Mordegon

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
I was late leveled to the mid-50's when fighting with the best gear from shops at the time. For that second part of final boss fight, change your strategy up by killing the
Mordragon so that it doesn't resurrect Mordegon every time. I struggled with the boss fight at first too until I realized the dragon keeps resurrecting Mordegon
Thanks I will try that!

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
Thanks I will try that!

Hopefully this change up in strategy will help. I was writing on my phone with the previous post, but here's a more detailed plan I used for this fight.

I was leveled mid-to-late 50's when fighting this boss. There are two phases in the boss fight, my strategy was to use a lot of buffs like Oomph on the Hero while he used Unbridled Blade with greatsword. Hendrik used Kabuff twice then use Unbridled Blade afterwards, with Oomph if possible. Sylvando used Hustle Dance to maintain constant healing or Oomph to increaase Hero and Hendrik's attack power. I used Serena to also heal if extra healing is necessary, otherwise, I switched her out for Jaade to use Re-Vamp then Multikick to cause damage, with Oomph if possible. Overall, the first phase isn't too hard, but the second phase is more difficult. However, if you kill Mordragon first, he won't revive Mordegon so you can just focus on Mordegon afterwards. But this last phase causes him to hit harder so definitely keep up the healing and bring in Serena or Rab who have Kazing/Zing to help, while keeping at least one of Hero/Hendrik/Jade in for constant damage dealing.

Hopefully these tips help. This was just one strategy but it helped me throughout post-game as well. Good luck!

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017

You have a few more stories to go through before the final fight in Act 2 (first ending). The point in the game you are at now was probably where I had the most trouble keeping interest. However, if you push past this point in the game, the story and game become even more interesting and fun. I sped through the game after I manage to beat the Octagonia 2nd visit. If you are struggling at this point, just fight some of the enemies in the are until you level up a bit (e.g. Go to Warrior's Rest Inn and fight the ravens around the area, they give good experience for the short effort in fight, just leave the AI to "Fight wisely" and grind a bit) to beat the Octagonia boss. Afterwards, continue the story if you can until you regain your party members.

It's a fantastic game, don't give up now!

If you need help, use this guide:

https://www.gamerguides.com/dragon-quest-xi-echoes-of-an-elusive-age

Good luck!

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017

For your questions:

You are at the final boss of Act 2 and you'll get the first ending, which I actually like, but you get the feeling that not everything is resolved, which leads to the second question you asked and that will definitely be answered in Act 3/Post-Game. For the Hotto story where the kid gets turned into the dragon, there's a story in Act 3/Post-Game that will help you understand, too. Post-game is interesting and you'll see why once you decide to continue the story. I think it's worth experiencing so I won't spoil it here. Keep pushing forward!

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, that is the final dungeon of act 2.

Of those two things, the latter is definitely given time in post-game and the former seems to be addressed in optional content - but it's been a couple weeks since I played thanks to KH3 and I didn't start on that bit when I last played, so I can't speak to how much resolving of that happens.
For your questions:

You are at the final boss of Act 2 and you'll get the first ending, which I actually like, but you get the feeling that not everything is resolved, which leads to the second question you asked and that will definitely be answered in Act 3/Post-Game. For the Hotto story where the kid gets turned into the dragon, there's a story in Act 3/Post-Game that will help you understand, too. Post-game is interesting and you'll see why once you decide to continue the story. I think it's worth experiencing so I won't spoil it here. Keep pushing forward!

Thanks a lot! Good to know I can proceed knowing I didn't miss something important.