• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
So this is my wife's most anticipated game for the year 2019, I made a Japanese account so we could play the demo even!
The game is out but there are no reviews at least in english.
If the game was so complex I might just buy the Japanese version.
Anyway I know we have some peeps in Japan and people who speak the language any impressions so far? I'm buying it regardless (see Fallout 76) but I'd just love to see what is new what changed etc.

OP
OP
ashtaar

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
Good to know it's out! Is the chapter structure basically the same or has that changed?
Unclear, I'm watching a twitch steam now... but I have no clue what's going on, gonna rosetta stone conversational japanese
thanks SolidSnakex appreciate it
I also didn't know that it has 4 player co-op
One specific request they received was to be able to build taller things, but also 4 player multiplayer. They took both into account for Dragon Quest Builders 2, as you can now build things about 3 times taller than in the previous game, and there is indeed some multiplayer.

Last edited:

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I remember it being mentioned in Nintendo's financial results for NA/Europe release. It took ~9 months for it to release stateside, so I only hope it's a summer-late summer release in the west next year. It'll be worth the wait.

OP
OP
ashtaar

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
I remember it being mentioned in Nintendo's financial results for NA/Europe release. It took ~9 months for it to release stateside, so I only hope it's a summer-late summer release in the west next year. It'll be worth the wait.
Wait.... what? I remember it being leaked that it was coming west but I didn't hear anything about a 9 month delay...... I guess I gotta stop talking about this game around my wife

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the joke (truth?) about DQ games was that they always took forever to get released here.

I hope not on this one.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wait.... what? I remember it being leaked that it was coming west but I didn't hear anything about a 9 month delay...... I guess I gotta stop talking about this game around my wife
Oops, meant to say the first DQB took about 9 months to release in the west since its initial Japanese release. DQB2 might take less time or around the same, we can only hope it doesn't take too long.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I grabbed my copy yesterday, but aside from patching it, I'm leaving it for my trip.
The Amazon reviews for both versions are positive, so that's good.
One worrying thing is that SE confirmed two bugs preventing players from progressing.
Hopefully they'll be fixed soon, since the second one doesn't have a solution if you have already been hit by it.

OP
OP
ashtaar

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
I grabbed my copy yesterday, but aside from patching it, I'm leaving it for my trip.
The Amazon reviews for both versions are positive, so that's good.
One worrying thing is that SE confirmed two bugs preventing players from progressing.
Hopefully they'll be fixed soon, since the second one doesn't have a solution if you have already been hit by it.
The streets need impressions breh

So far from watching this stream
You can view the 3d layout of a particular room which is cool.
it seems like your followers (npcs) can grab resources for you
I think he finished the first chapter (I dunno a big 1 appeared) and he's still in the same place which is promising
HE doesn't play online so no multiplayer impressions

mothball

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My most anticipated game of the year. I spammed F5 on the Japanese PSN site to get it as soon as it was available. I'm not too far in yet, but it's already a good step up from the first game. The combat is much more fluid, the crafting interface seems to be improved and the glove is really useful for moving things around without having to break them. Gathering stuff is also a lot quicker with a follower. Can't wait to get the glider.

Good to know it's out! Is the chapter structure basically the same or has that changed?

Instead of completely separate story chapters, you start on a deserted island and travel to other islands to do their stories. When I went to the first island I couldn't take anything with me. Don't know if I'll be able to bring anything back, but it definitely seems like you're able to return to the other islands whenever you want.

The demo said you wouldn't be able to transfer your progress to the full version, and that's mostly true. But you can load your demo data to skip the initial tutorial and bring over the character name and appearance you used in the demo.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
My copy should arrive in the next 4-5 hours, so I can update with impressions then.

Observation Platform

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Grabbed it yesterday along with Oninusha and Katamari (in Hokkaido for holidays). Wasn't the biggest fan of the first one but really loving this one. Sunk 6 hours straight in and it was 2am by the time I checked my watch. I don't love the limited camera options, but hold out hope for an update later. Only up to the second island but think this one will be pretty special.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Do Famitsu ever give bad scores? Happy it scored high but I never feel like I get anything from hearing a Famitsu score, in fact, I don't think I've ever heard one that isn't high.

Observation Platform

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Do Famitsu ever give bad scores? Happy it scored high but I never feel like I get anything from hearing a Famitsu score, in fact, I don't think I've ever heard one that isn't high.

Having read Famitsu since 1996 when I first moved to Japan, scores below 20 are very rare, but plenty in the 20-30 range. Most will fall around the low 30 mark, however the reviewing methodology of four rotating independent reviewers is still a fairly sound indictation of wider appeal and playability for most games. Scoring collusion and incentivisation is still just a perception thing, and is usually the result of hype and cultural impact of games: something we don't really consider in western reviews. Don't take them too seriously and consider anything above 35 to be a damn solid game.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I saw a video and I could see that PS4's lighting and shadows were better, and better resolution. I heard the switch version of 2 is 30fps. I know in in the first one, it was 720p in docked and handheld on Switch, but 60fps on docked mode.

Would be nice if DF could do a performance patch between PS4 and Switch.

Yeah this game was definitely a sleeper and my third favorite single player switch game. It beats out Odyssey for me, and that's due to tohe longevity. I spent 80hrs on story mode alone.

BOTW-->XC2-->DQB-->SMO for me.

CloudCircus

Dec 9, 2017
the sticker on the box at Bic Camera says it supports English. That can't be right..right? I checked the Nintendo website and it only says Japanese for supported languages

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible to trial and error your way through this game without speaking Japanese or would that be too difficult to be feasible? My SO loves DQB, put tons of hours into the Japanese Builders 2 demo and is longing for more, but I don't know how well that would translate to enjoying the full game...

Yazuka

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Man I hope it's released outside of Japan soon! I really want this game.
Easily one of my most anticipated games of next year.

Bartis

Dec 30, 2017
Summer 2019 would be my guess for the English version. It can't come soon enough.

I had so much fun with the first one, although I hope they added some QOL thingies.

OP
OP
ashtaar

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
Is it possible to trial and error your way through this game without speaking Japanese or would that be too difficult to be feasible? My SO loves DQB, put tons of hours into the Japanese Builders 2 demo and is longing for more, but I don't know how well that would translate to enjoying the full game...
My boy seanb (see above twitch link) was trial and erroring it. In chapter one at least they pretty much show you what you need to do (although sometimes it's confusing eg they wanted him to build a table some seats and put food on it but they wanted it outside, similarly they wanted him to build a room using something besides mud but he thought they meant mud)
Also with the first one some of the objectives can be esoteric like I remember my wife spent hours killing monsters trying to get a rare cloth drop.
I'd say give it some more time unless you so is REALLY dedicated

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Instead of completely separate story chapters, you start on a deserted island and travel to other islands to do their stories. When I went to the first island I couldn't take anything with me. Don't know if I'll be able to bring anything back, but it definitely seems like you're able to return to the other islands whenever you want.

The demo said you wouldn't be able to transfer your progress to the full version, and that's mostly true. But you can load your demo data to skip the initial tutorial and bring over the character name and appearance you used in the demo.

That's great! I posted not too long ago hoping for a similar change, allowing you to visit your previous work even if it's largely pointless and the area is saved (which I'm guessing won't be the case here- probably some good reasons to return to areas if desired). That'll address one of people's largest gripes about the first game.

I'm tempted to buy it and understand none of it- also very excited for this and am glad to hear they've apparently updated all aspects of the game.

I've heard the Switch version was going to run much better than the original did- anyone have impressions comparing the two?

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
That's great! I posted not too long ago hoping for a similar change, allowing you to visit your previous work even if it's largely pointless and the area is saved (which I'm guessing won't be the case here- probably some good reasons to return to areas if desired). That'll address one of people's largest gripes about the first game.

I'm tempted to buy it and understand none of it- also very excited for this and am glad to hear they've apparently updated all aspects of the game.

I've heard the Switch version was going to run much better than the original did- anyone have impressions comparing the two?

The stream that was posted earlier was the Switch version. I'm no Digital Foundry, but to my eyes it looked a bit better for sure. Textures in particular, it seems to have a slightly smoother/more cartoony art style that looks like an upgrade.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Good to hear! My main concern for that game is how well it runs in handheld mode- the first could get pretty frame-y that way (still totally playable, just that was the only time I'd really knock it versus the PS4 one). I saw a video a few months back suggesting they had either overhauled or updated the engine specifically with an eye on Switch performance, so here's hoping.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking seriously? Ugh.

Hoping to hear more impressions. I wasn't a big fan of the original, but my husband loved it. He played the demo but he said he couldn't tell too much about it since it was tutorial (he is fluent). Will import for him if it's good.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played the demo a bit on Switch and it seems pretty good. My son and I loved playing through the original. I'll probably pick it up on PS4 when it's not fucking 9,000 Yen or whatever crazy price they are asking.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I played the demo a bit on Switch and it seems pretty good. My son and I loved playing through the original. I'll probably pick it up on PS4 when it's not fucking 9,000 Yen or whatever crazy price they are asking.
Amazon.co.jp has it for Y6683 with international shipping. It's $66.58 including shipping for me.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Totally just bought the Switch one from Amazon.co.jp which I constantly forget is an option. Will surprise my wife with it in a few days which I think she'll be super pumped for even if we hit a wall on advancing.