• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
Really loving this game so far, I'm glad I got it on switch cause I can't put it down!

One question: How do you equip Malroth?

You can only give Malroth equipment specifically for him.

Just select the item, walk up to him, and a button prompt should show up saying press x to equip or something like that.

Anacaona

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Where the fuck do you fit all these rooms on island 2 (desert). It's even smaller than island 1

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Game has been purchased and started the download. Said it would be about 45 mins. 13 minutes later and it's almost done. Thanks Nintendo for the under promise and over deliver! haha. Can't wait to jump in!

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
So im stuck

Escaping skelketraz, there's a zombie that just says freedom. I can't attack him or feed him munchies. But when I try and leave the slime tells me to befriend him. What am I doing wrong?

I did the exact same thing. Turns out I'd forgotten to talk to Malroth so the next part of the quest hadn't started. Malroth then told me to do things I'd already done but, after that, it was a short walk to trigger the next event.

toadsworth

Oct 25, 2017
Have his weapon selected on your hotbar and look at him. It will say square to give him the weapon
Just walk up to his face, select the weapon, and hit (the Use/Place button) when the tooltip prompts you to give the item to him.

For what it is worth there are several NPCs that you can give weapons to, be on the lookout for them because it is extremely useful to power them up for random monster waves. I have not been able to change NPC armor yet, I'm guessing that functions similarly to the first game.
You can only give Malroth equipment specifically for him.

Just select the item, walk up to him, and a button prompt should show up saying press x to equip or something like that.

Thanks all! Good to know I can equip other villagers too. Combat is not very fun solo.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I did the exact same thing. Turns out I'd forgotten to talk to Malroth so the next part of the quest hadn't started. Malroth then told me to do things I'd already done but, after that, it was a short walk to trigger the next event.

Thank you for this. I posted my question then noticed Malroth wasn't with me and did this haha.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Youre in for a treat. Amazing game all around :D
Yeah the praise for the game has been impressive and the demo definitely helped convince me. Played for a bit but I think the SD card I have it installed on is kinda slow. Archived the game and now downloading again to the internal memory to see if it loads a tad faster.

Oct 2, 2018
I'm at the endgame now - having entered what seems to be the final area in the game. I took a break from the quests and spent wayyy too much time on the island of awakening. lol.

Um... I'm quite curious as I'm trying to hack together so of the ????? rooms without looking at online resources and no matter what i threw into the room with the bathtub, i was never able to make something happen. Same also for the medication spinner thing that you can make. I thought i'd be able to get a better medical station but couldn't make it happen.

this game is so deep and diverse that its outward appearance doesn't relay.

I also think i done goofed building a farm at the pyramid instead of IOA area 1. Lolllllll. My village is a mess!!!

I also travelled back to the mining island and some guy told me a room recipe so there's reason to revisit the past areas.

Oct 2, 2018
Wasn't expecting the dlc to be out now, but the fishing stuff seems incredibly good from the little bit I just did

How does the fishing work? I didnt get the DLC because... well, I dunno. It's sort of for post game i thought because of DQB1... but IOA seems to have all the island perks active - this implementations in the sequel is pretty dope.

Its on the IOA? The only time I've been able to get fish is from monster drops.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Just walk up to his face, select the weapon, and hit (the Use/Place button) when the tooltip prompts you to give the item to him.

For what it is worth there are several NPCs that you can give weapons to, be on the lookout for them because it is extremely useful to power them up for random monster waves. I have not been able to change NPC armor yet, I'm guessing that functions similarly to the first game.

You can give Malroth a weapon? Didn't know that. Just got the game and I was able to skip the ship section since I played the demo last night. Kinda annoyed that I have to do the Lulu stuff again, but it's my fault for keep playing the demo even when it told me nothing would saved past the shipwreck.

Between this and Mario Maker, my creative juices are boiling.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Am I supposed to do these optional challenges on my home island wherever I want? The undefined area and all that freedom makes me feel kinda lost

Where the fuck do you fit all these rooms on island 2 (desert). It's even smaller than island 1
I can already tell the size is your to be a problem for me and I'm only at the start. I already put in a kitchen for myself. Not sure if I'll try to make a second floor to the village or break mandatory rooms after they are made.

Oct 2, 2018
Anybody had any luck breeding a pet with "the rarest colouration" yet? I've gotten my cats to breed and I've tried to reset for a little while to see if I can get a different color at all since it takes resources and so much time to wait another day. I know something random is happening since the kitten has been different sizes on resets. Color doesn't seem to be happening though so maybe two white cats can only make the striped brown/orange one I'm getting. I wish I could find more info on this; the game has been out in Japan for like seven months after all.

I think to get them to come out special. The room needs to be fancy as they're happier. so make it a gold room, add lots of shit and make it fancy. That said, I've forgetten what they said about breeding animals. Something about a moreberry.

Casualcore

Jul 25, 2018

It's tough but keep pressing on. I have quite a few rooms sharing walls. It looks like a suburban strip mall. Ugh, unintentional pun. I'm not as engaged here as the last island. I'll be happy to go back to Lulutopia.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Worth $10? the other DLC didn't interest me, so season pass is too much just to save $6

How does the fishing work? I didnt get the DLC because... well, I dunno. It's sort of for post game i thought because of DQB1... but IOA seems to have all the island perks active - this implementations in the sequel is pretty dope.

Its on the IOA? The only time I've been able to get fish is from monster drops.

I'm hesitant to speak towards its value yet, because after initially going to the fishing island, getting the rod and learning the ropes, it looks like actually collecting 35 of the 40 fish takes place all over the rest of the islands in the game. The fishing itself is pretty standard fishing minigame fare; casting the line out, mashing A to reel and sometimes holding A when the fish is fighting back too hard. I actually am glad that the dlc is weirdly available out of nowhere because of how it's implemented - I would rather fish around now than go back to all these islands and do it in a few weeks, I think.

10 dollars is maybe a bit steep from what I've seen so far, but if you like fishing minigames and want to extend your time with the game some then it seems pretty all right.

Oct 2, 2018
I'm hesitant to speak towards its value yet, because after initially going to the fishing island, getting the rod and learning the ropes, it looks like actually collecting 35 of the 40 fish takes place all over the rest of the islands in the game. The fishing itself is pretty standard fishing minigame fare; casting the line out, mashing A to reel and sometimes holding A when the fish is fighting back too hard. I actually am glad that the dlc is weirdly available out of nowhere because of how it's implemented - I would rather fish around now than go back to all these islands and do it in a few weeks, I think.

10 dollars is maybe a bit steep from what I've seen so far, but if you like fishing minigames and want to extend your time with the game some then it seems pretty all right.

I think the fishing was in the OG game. I think they might have taken it out for DLC.

Huh. yeah they did. Oh welllll.

Also, oh, you unlock 3 islands via the dock. I seeeee.

mothball

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Am I supposed to do these optional challenges on my home island wherever I want?

Pretty much, although I strongly suggest completing 5 if not 10 of them. After completing 5 you get a trowel that lets you swap all the blocks in a 5x5 area (ground or walls) with whatever block you're holding; after completing 10 the tool is upgraded to let you actually place blocks in a similar manner. By far one of the most useful tools in the game.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much, although I strongly suggest completing 5 if not 10 of them. After completing 5 you get a trowel that lets you swap all the blocks in a 5x5 area (ground or walls) with whatever block you're holding; after completing 10 the tool is upgraded to let you actually place blocks in a similar manner. By far one of the most useful tools in the game.
Thanks. I guess I'll try to keep building in the same valley and barring that, I'll just shift my area a bit. Those do sound like great tools so once I'm back from the second island, I'll work on that. Or head home early to do it

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
The second island story isn't that engaging to me.. just seems like a bunch of dudes talking about how pretty they think the girl is. Bit of a letdown after the first island. That being said, I am digging the actual mining aspect and could do that for hours lol.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I think to get them to come out special. The room needs to be fancy as they're happier. so make it a gold room, add lots of shit and make it fancy. That said, I've forgetten what they said about breeding animals. Something about a moreberry.
Nah, turns out coloration is just a generational thing.

I found a japanese wiki with everything there is to know about the game:

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I just saw this, is there a way to determine where to point the arrow? It changes depending on my character placement and that's really cluncky, I can never build the blocks to the front, only above.
Yes. The arrow is always pointing away from the surface of the cube. Think of the arrow as the normal vector of the face of the cube in 3D graphics.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
The second island story isn't that engaging to me.. just seems like a bunch of dudes talking about how pretty they think the girl is. Bit of a letdown after the first island. That being said, I am digging the actual mining aspect and could do that for hours lol.
This is literally a continuation of the same island in the DQB1 game.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Oh this is just a bunch of missions. Nice and focused..

I'll just put up a fence here to slow the monsters down...maybe some nice sconces. Might as well trace the boundaries of the town so I know how much space I have...a second toilet would be nice, people are always queuing up

I wonder what the most efficient field layout is for tomatoes...

..Oh no..

what is the most efficient layout for tomatoes? I just have four strips with water between now

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
This may come off as a stupid question, but does anyone have problems putting torches on the wall? I can't seem to do it unlike the first game.

Jenoss

Oct 26, 2017
WTH i did spoiled myself the end of a chapter because i did explored too much ... Why?!?!?!??!

I hope that for the next game they'll start to use invisible walls for some places they should not be spoiled storywise

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
So, I'm on the second chapter in

The desert Island

And I found a

Dragon and killed it and it dropped 3 dragon meat and a dragon scale

Also dropped a recipe for an armor and it requires

3 dragon scales, but the dragon doesn't respawn.

where can I find more?

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fishing is pretty nice and it comes with a swimsuit, two new hairstyles and a straw hat.
Is this just on Switch or PS4 too? I bought it but I don't seem to be able to trigger it?
I have it on Switch but you have to finish the first story island and unlock the mailbox at IoA to gain access to most of the DLC content.

FRS1987

Oct 31, 2017
New Jersey
So, I'm on the second chapter in

The desert Island

And I found a

Dragon and killed it and it dropped 3 dragon meat and a dragon scale

Also dropped a recipe for an armor and it requires

3 dragon scales, but the dragon doesn't respawn.

where can I find more?

later on during your mandatory fights to protect your town, they will send dragons, also you have a mandatory dragon fight near the end of the chapter

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Wait they made the whole fishing exclusive for a DLC or they just added more fishes and islands?

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I need help. So malroth and me got a combo attack and i cant trigger it no matter what i do.
The tutorial on switch says press L shoulder button with A button when malroth has a red glow.
Well the guy is always super saiyan orange when we battle and every time i press that the game just tries to do another thing instead of fight or the combo. Is the orange glow he has even the red one the game is talking about?
Im sure some peopl here know how to trigger it.

This is literally a continuation of the same island in the DQB1 game.
Is there a video showing the story of each town in DQB1. Im in the mining town and didnt know it was a continuation of the stories of each town (i knew it waa a continuation of dragon quest 2) Same characters? I read a plot synopsis but that doesnt cut it because im interested in what happened on each town from the first game and if they are the same islands.
Actually theyve been naming a hero builder a ton of times in the game, i suppose that one is the playable character from the original game.

Last edited:

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
So i'm trying to done of the Tablet Targets and for the life of me, I can't seem to make a hotel. I've been trying to do a reception but it doesn't register for some reason. Any help here?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Is there a video showing the story of each town in DQB1. Im in the mining town and didnt know it was a continuation of the stories of each town (i knew it waa a continuation of dragon quest 2) Same characters? I read a plot synopsis but that doesnt cut it because im interested in what happened on each town from the first game and if they are the same islands.
Actually theyve been naming a hero builder a ton of times in the game, i suppose that one is the playable character from the original game.

It's not a continuation of Builders 1 chapter 3 story-wise. It just has similar vibes (desert-like island with the bull masked guys that are in love with a female warrior). It's more tame in 1 though.

I'm not even sure the builder is your character from 1, but that would delve more into spoilers from B1, also I'm still in island 2 so I dunno how it continues.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
So any help with how to trigger the fighting combo with malroth?

It's not a continuation of Builders 1 chapter 3 story-wise. It just has similar vibes (desert-like island with the bull masked guys that are in love with a female warrior). It's more tame in 1 though.
Ahhh. Oh well, so many characters where talking about the old hero builder i suppose they were the same islands.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
do the people on your farm on the first island ever actually harvest or is that up to you? I'm concerned about the 'you can't harvest forever' when I also need a certain number of crops planted so I'm not harvesting actively. Hopefully people won't starve

Ixian

Nov 25, 2018
I need help. So malroth and me got a combo attack and i cant trigger it no matter what i do.
The tutorial on switch says press L shoulder button with A button when malroth has a red glow.
Well the guy is always super saiyan orange when we battle and every time i press that the game just tries to do another thing instead of fight or the combo. Is the orange glow he has even the red one the game is talking about?
Im sure some peopl here know how to trigger it.

Ahhh. Oh well, so many characters where talking about the old hero builder i suppose they were the same islands.

I went through the exact same confusion - the yellow glow is NOT the same one spoken about for the combo. When the combo can be triggered a box will appear on the screen telling you to press it with the name (coop de grace). Unless that box is on the screen you can't trigger it.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Probably best to build multi-storey buildings.

However for this area the only thing that I built in multiple storeys was sleeping area, as the game does tend to keep throwing big piles of people at you. The original sleeping area beside the pub can be fairly easily expanded into two or three storeys, although initially I also had to block off the area behind it because the NPCs were just utterly fascinated by that tiny little gap and kept on wandering over to it for literally no reason.

If you limit your sleeping area to just that location, everything else should fit comfortably, as long as you're not going overboard with room sizes. When someone asks you for a room with X amount of object A and Y amount of object B, just build a room that literally only fits those things plus a space or two to move around it.

Aside from the sleeping areas and the reconstruction of the pub, as far as I can remember, there's only three things you're asked to build in that initial location - a kitchen-like area, a blacksmith, and a "pumping station". Those should fit easily enough and anything you're asked to build later can go elsewhere.

Malroth has to be glowing red (not orange). The game will prompt you with a highly-visible on-screen prompt, so you won't miss it. It takes a while to build up so you're unlikely to see it in combat against a single enemy or small group of enemies, and most likely to see it in something like a base attack or boss-type battle.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Theres a height limit for the mine city, i just discovered that the hard way lol
Was trying to build the third floor for the inn and as soon as i jumped the music cut out and the town ui dissapered.
I build my towns fancy so i always give the buildings 3 cube height and then the roof/floor, instead of 2 cube height and then the roof/floor. 3 height walls just seem the perfect height visual wise.

I added to the fungi kitchen a restaurant so I discovered i could place bab's room on top of it and now it looks SUPER nice. It really looks like a small mining town.
I also added a huge glass window in the pumping station so it looks like a real gym lol going to add a third inn on the top of the gym

This game is just WONDERFUL for a creative person like me that still enjoys the story driving aspect of games. Minecraft fails too much in that regard, you dont give two flying fuck about the villagers and the rooms you make are just visual flair. And I say this as someone who actually works as a freelance designing characters for an official minecraft mods studio.

I went through the exact same confusion - the yellow glow is NOT the same one spoken about for the combo. When the combo can be triggered a box will appear on the screen telling you to press it with the name (coop de grace). Unless that box is on the screen you can't trigger it.
Probably best to build multi-storey buildings.

However for this area the only thing that I built in multiple storeys was sleeping area, as the game does tend to keep throwing big piles of people at you. The original sleeping area beside the pub can be fairly easily expanded into two or three storeys, although initially I also had to block off the area behind it because the NPCs were just utterly fascinated by that tiny little gap and kept on wandering over to it for literally no reason.

If you limit your sleeping area to just that location, everything else should fit comfortably, as long as you're not going overboard with room sizes. When someone asks you for a room with X amount of object A and Y amount of object B, just build a room that literally only fits those things plus a space or two to move around it.

Aside from the sleeping areas and the reconstruction of the pub, as far as I can remember, there's only three things you're asked to build in that initial location - a kitchen-like area, a blacksmith, and a "pumping station". Those should fit easily enough and anything you're asked to build later can go elsewhere.

Malroth has to be glowing red (not orange). The game will prompt you with a highly-visible on-screen prompt, so you won't miss it. It takes a while to build up so you're unlikely to see it in combat against a single enemy or small group of enemies, and most likely to see it in something like a base attack or boss-type battle.

Ahhhhhh! Should they made that much clearer, i was so confused about the orange glow and didnt know about the a promt appearing beacause the tutorial was badly explained.
I just built bab's room so one of the big fights is coming, i will hopefully see it there.
Thanks a bunch!