• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I'm sad your base Max out at 4. The first game had 5 levels. Worse, I still didn't get all the seeds and I'm at Max.

You also can't cheese rooms like the first game. Like I was able to Max my base fast by making rooms that wasn't mentioned like making several gardens.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Started playing this tonight, have no idea where those 3 hours went.

I never thought seeing people giving me a round of applause for building them a tiny bedroom would give me such joy, but it's exactly what I needed today.

Also, a wanking joke? Amazing.

Fomortiis

Jan 2, 2018
Binged the game and finished story mode this morning. Cute story over all, crumble-whatever was by far my least favorite part though.

Now I can build the glorious Evisceration Empire with no interruptions...

Oct 2, 2018
Finished the game last night. I'm now in post game. Normally, I'd drop it (eg: bloodstained; once i was done - I never went back to it) but I was exploring the post game content that gets unlocked:

3 extra islands and there's also an post game hammer - you also gain the ability to move character across all the islands to IOA.

still running around and doing stuff in DQB2.

DQB2 review:

they really just went ham on the game going on 1's small intimacy to this epic grand quest on top of the base game
I really enjoyed the story and the peekyboo *my character x Malroth's story arc and the last chapters are full of surprises and i loved how it resolved. "Oh, man that's so cute"
I loved the malroth building a medician herb thing
very clever way to tie in something they've shown most of this game and something tied into the themes of the game to the finale.
For a cutesy looking game, its got a somewhat profoundy them of creation vs destruction.

This is how you sequel. You blow it up and make it a grander game and more epic. Maybe in 3, you'll get real time co-op. I'll spend more time with this. Trying to not resort to online guides to build rooms and find recipes for now.

SCORE: 9.5/10

The only quibbles I have:

I hate the weird scenes were evil comes up with text on screen and it doesn't go away for ages. I counted one screen... and i was able to get to 40 before the text changed. I mean its 2 short lines. It really killed those segments for me. I'm surprised QA didnt catch that. It was so bad and they always frustrated me. There was a lot of it in the final chapter.

I wish on IOA: you can unlock multiple items with gratitude point super quickly. Having to do them one by one is a bit zzzzzzzzzzz

I think boss fights in one were more inventive (maybe - recollection might be hazy)

they pulled fishing for DLC? :(

Oct 2, 2018
I finished the first island. Wow was that great. One Q though - what is easiest way to get grass seeds st this point in the game??

you find and kill the lumpy hands creatures in the marsh area.

Anyone know where I can reliably get more acorn seeds? I need to make me a forest

you climb about 5 blocks up the big trees and they should have about 2-3 acorns to harvest.

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any more impressions on the multiplayer aspects of the game? I was looking forward to playing this with my son, and I can deal with the story mode being solo if the post game multiplayer stuff is still compelling.

Ixian

Nov 25, 2018
Oh damn I didn't know that was a thing. Maybe I'll move on to 2nd story island for now then

I think if you finished island 1 already you should have them - Wriggley tells you how to make them - worm food. Requires grass seed as a bass ingredient but makes them more efficient.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I think if you finished island 1 already you should have them - Wriggley tells you how to make them - worm food. Requires grass seed as a bass ingredient but makes them more efficient.

Oh yeah I have that but I'm out of night soil for now lol.
So I got the trowel right after your post! Doesn't look like it does anything helpful for laying grass seeds down but will be very helpful for lots of other stuff

Ixian

Nov 25, 2018
Oh yeah I have that but I'm out of night soil for now lol.
So I got the trowel right after your post! Doesn't look like it does anything helpful for laying grass seeds down but will be very helpful for lots of other stuff

I think the first thing I built on the IoA after the first island was a toilet to get night soil for the worm food, haha.

Trowel is handy for replacing rocky ground with earth. I seem to have a number of grassy earth blocks in my inventory too, but I've no idea how I got them as when you break grassy earth with a hammer it just turns into earth I think.

Also, don't torture yourself with landscaping on the IoA right after island 1. There are some unbreakable stone blocks that generally made it quite tedious (for me at least) but you get a tool upgrade for dealing with those rocks very soon into Island 2 (and you can return from Island 2 to IoA at any point, if I recall correctly).

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I think the first thing I built on the IoA after the first island was a toilet to get night soil for the worm food, haha.

Trowel is handy for replacing rocky ground with earth. I seem to have a number of grassy earth blocks in my inventory too, but I've no idea how I got them as when you break grassy earth with a hammer it just turns into earth I think.

Also, don't torture yourself with landscaping on the IoA right after island 1. There are some unbreakable stone blocks that generally made it quite tedious (for me at least) but you get a tool upgrade for dealing with those rocks very soon into Island 2 (and you can return from Island 2 to IoA at any point, if I recall correctly).

Thanks for all of the advice.
And DUH lol of course i should build a bathroom ASAP why did I not think of that!!!

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Loving what I've played so far, feels like an amazing sequel three hours in. Side eyeing the DLC pretty hard, might buy them in the AM.

Stryda

Aug 20, 2018
Can someone explain to be what the co-op multiplayer is like? I bought the game just now and I can't get a great description of it online

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if you can put a nameplate in there so that way they dont do it
I found that you can only leave 5 of each ressources a day (so 5X tomatoes, 5X cabbages,etc.). The villagers will start eating the meals they have prepared when you leave more than 5 of any ressources. I left 30 cabbages in the kitchen chest and when I came back there was only 5 fried green ready and the rest of the cabbages weren't there anymore.
I also make sure there's something to eat for everyone somewhere else in the village but I don't know if that changes the cooking results.
That means filling up the kitchen chest everyday.

Deleted member 38050

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
I want to eventually build a huge castle and a town surrounding it on the IoA, but there's no level ground anywhere on the whole island. I'm using the Golem to level the area South of the meadow and north of the Pyramid, but it's just ... Not right. I don't know. I wish there was a flat green area somewhere on the island for the kind of building I want to do.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
I hate the weird scenes were evil comes up with text on screen and it doesn't go away for ages. I counted one screen... and i was able to get to 40 before the text changed. I mean its 2 short lines. It really killed those segments for me. I'm surprised QA didnt catch that. It was so bad and they always frustrated me. There was a lot of it in the final chapter.

They're still shit but I suspect it's trying to mask loading. They drag on so long.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I want to eventually build a huge castle and a town surrounding it on the IoA, but there's no level ground anywhere on the whole island. I'm using the Golem to level the area South of the meadow and north of the Pyramid, but it's just ... Not right. I don't know. I wish there was a flat green area somewhere on the island for the kind of building I want to do.

There needs to be more flat areas in IoA in general and less mountains dividing the area. I remember B1 free island was better designed in that regard.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
One major improvement I just saw. Your base is repaired after a big battle outside of the trees you planted. Thank freaking god. One of the things I hated in the first game was repairing everything after I defeated a tough enemy to the point I reseted several times to minimized the damaged.

Oct 2, 2018
POST GAME:

There seems to be some sort of bug possibly with the room building thing:

I was trying to level up the private rooms and once you do them: the characters names would go yellow when you try to assign a new room/sign.. I went to an island, came back and all the yellow names are now no longer yellow :(

Can't keep track of who's got a room fully tailored for them now!

also: I wish the game had someone tell you how to build new rooms - or sell you plans. I have so many missing rooms that I don't see myself ever building outside of using a faq. Am I missing something?!

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Thank god the people will build stuff if you dumped everything in the chest. I was looking at the blueprint in Chapter 1 thinking 'oh, hell no'.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
"I've known you since you were a little girl, you're like a daughter to me"
"Now put on these fishnets and do a little tease for me, baby"

What is in the water in this town, good lord

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
"I've known you since you were a little girl, you're like a daughter to me"
"Now put on these fishnets and do a little tease for me, baby"

What is in the water in this town, good lord

It neeeeeever ends. Im hours and hours into that island and still the NPCs have to remind me every damn quest how much they love Babs.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Took me awhile to noticed:

Near the end of Chapter 1 when the sky turns pink, your farm slowly rots. Really pisses me off given all the work I put in beautifying the place before the festival.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Nope, I used a voucher on the base game and got the stackable slimes together with a bunch of other stuff.

Thanks for the response, by the way. I have no idea how far I need to go to get access to it, but if it was included with the preorder I'm good, I just was perusing reddit and people seemed super confused on it.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I found that you can only leave 5 of each ressources a day (so 5X tomatoes, 5X cabbages,etc.). The villagers will start eating the meals they have prepared when you leave more than 5 of any ressources. I left 30 cabbages in the kitchen chest and when I came back there was only 5 fried green ready and the rest of the cabbages weren't there anymore.
I also make sure there's something to eat for everyone somewhere else in the village but I don't know if that changes the cooking results.
That means filling up the kitchen chest everyday.
Ah so if we want them to cook just for us, then only leave a max of 5 ingredients. Thats good to know. I don't want them eating up all my stuff.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Making good progress on the 2nd island, pretty sure I'm more than 50% done with this island, off to find a couple more seeds. Feeling like I'm a good way into the game and then I looked at my overall blueprint and recipe acquisitions so far... 5% and 4% respectively. Uh, it's gonna take a long time I think to get those both to 100% isn't it? And I don't mind one bit, this game has been just spectacular so far!

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Some of the mini medal puzzles on the first island aren't really set up very well.

Like there will be a block that is holding back water, and a basin next to it that the water needs to fill up... but you can just create water using the item you get a few hours in, bypassing the puzzle. I'm not even sure how the puzzle was supposed to work as the water only travels a certain distance even if you narrow its path.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the first island and I'm really getting sick of how much the story kills the flow of the game. I'm really not interested in the million things every character has to say and just want to play the game. I love the gameplay and the writing is surprisingly good, but there's just too much of it.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Some of the mini medal puzzles on the first island aren't really set up very well.

Like there will be a block that is holding back water, and a basin next to it that the water needs to fill up... but you can just create water using the item you get a few hours in, bypassing the puzzle. I'm not even sure how the puzzle was supposed to work as the water only travels a certain distance even if you narrow its path.

That puzzle took me a while because I didn't had that item, felt pretty random, you have to dig behind the wall (because the wall is unbreakable) between the water and the basin to make a more or less straight path that reach the basin.

verycutedog

Jan 21, 2018
Really enjoying the game, but it unfortunately kind of runs like ass on Switch in docked mode.

Also, do buildings ever get roofs? It's strange to me that the rooms you build are still technically exposed to the elements.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Really enjoying the game, but it unfortunately kind of runs like ass on Switch in docked mode.

Also, do buildings ever get roofs? It's strange to me that the rooms you build are still technically exposed to the elements.
The game is set up to make old school Dragon Quest buildings, which didn't have roofs

dragon_quest_iv_town.png

You eventually unlock roof tiles, though, if you want to use them.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017

That would have made the puzzle super easy. I did it far before that cause I was curious what the section was on the map. As someone said, you can quickly dig behind the wall and channel the water that way and its pretty fast. You can also extend how far water goes if you mess around with the block heights and different walls and stuff. Its kind of hard to do. At least for me since I don't really get how the water blocks work.

But I like the mini medals I saw on the first island. Haven't run into any on the second island yet but they are fast and easy and sort of fun.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ooff yeah I'm starting to really feel the docked framerate drops on the second island. Handheld is still fine but it's weird because there's nothing happening.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Thank god they fixed the boss battle. Not only do they fixed the base after the boss nukes it, but the townspeople helps instead of you doing everything alone. Plus, no building gimmick devices to fight the boss.

That said, do the tree really needs to become a water fall? Ruined the layout I had.

Last edited: