• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
What's the best way to earn hearts on the IoA? I have 800, and I need 7,500 to unlock the last three islands on the map. I have beaten the game already.
Build communities for your population on the island. Basically farms (this will help you complete also the tablet of planting every crop) and have farmers work on them, houses with beds, community toilets and baths, and a big kitchen with a big eating room besides it (basically a restaurant).
This will give you tons of hearts each day. If you want to seriously build in the future, just transport everyone to one area, and build the community there, and make that community really fast, with no intent of making it good look or anything, as you will tear it down when you actually want to build whatever you want in the island.

I know theres also an explorer island with some metal slimes that run super fast (dont remember which island they are in), if you befriend one of those, every day you can persue it (in the area of the islalnd of awakening you put it in) to get 100 hearts.

That's really a nice tip.
No problem, hope it helps! :D

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Finished the story and was trying to get the DLC islands forever

Turns out the season pass doesn't download them automatically despite getting all the bonus add-ons, I really hate how PS4 handles DLC

Oct 27, 2017
What am i doing wrong? Im in the mine area and im always hungry....is there a way to get alot of food there and in the areas in general? Im finding this a common problem for me

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What am i doing wrong? Im in the mine area and im always hungry....is there a way to get alot of food there and in the areas in general? Im finding this a common problem for me
What I did in this area was create a kitchen with 5 or 6 bonfires, put a chest in the room, and use the room to cook meat from the rabbits that can be farmed outside of your town. I don't know if it happens immediately after building the kitchen, but eventually, villagers will start making food for you.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm going to buy this game soon and I have two questions, what can you do with the dog you pet? Can it join you and follow you around? My purchase hinges on the puppy.

Oct 28, 2017
I think I'm going to buy this game soon and I have two questions, what can you do with the dog you pet? Can it join you and follow you around? My purchase hinges on the puppy.
The very first dog, not exactly. There's a prior Dragon Quest reference going on with Furrowfield's dog NPC. They can't join your island until you do a specific combination of actions. Big spoiler ahead!

Using the Mirror of Ra after finishing the Moonbrooke story will turn her back into a Human, and she's a Singer type NPC who can join your island after you beat the game's story.

There's a robust dog (and cat) breeding option with other skins for the dog (and cat), so you can have a lot of dogs of different colors, and while I haven't tried to add them to my party yet, they do run up to you all the time and roll over while you're hanging out on IoA. (Cats too, it is adorable.)

Dogs can sniff out buried seeds (really only useful on the Explorer's Shore where you get dogs), but both cats and dogs will randomly dig up items and bring them to you all day if you're in the same area they're in on IoA, and if they're happy.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The very first dog, not exactly. There's a prior Dragon Quest reference going on with Furrowfield's dog NPC. They can't join your island until you do a specific combination of actions. Big spoiler ahead!

Using the Mirror of Ra after finishing the Moonbrooke story will turn her back into a Human, and she's a Singer type NPC who can join your island after you beat the game's story.

There's a robust dog (and cat) breeding option with other skins for the dog (and cat), so you can have a lot of dogs of different colors, and while I haven't tried to add them to my party yet, they do run up to you all the time and roll over while you're hanging out on IoA. (Cats too, it is adorable.)

Dogs can sniff out buried seeds (really only useful on the Explorer's Shore where you get dogs), but both cats and dogs will randomly dig up items and bring them to you all day if you're in the same area they're in on IoA, and if they're happy.
Sounds great! Thank you!

Oct 28, 2017
If you build the cookroom that Babs suggests, the NPCs that cook can make free Mushroom Sticks all day, and they will always leave up to 5 in a chest (before eating the surplus). Route in picking up the free food along with the free ores every day and it should help.

If you hit Cactus tops with your sword, it drops a seed, giving you the ability to grow infinite food. Cacti grow while you're doing other things, so this can be preferable to farming bunnies if you're trying to progress the story.

Food > Drinks > Raw Ingredients in fullness factor. You can and should make some drinks to hit the tablet targets back on IoA, but once you get the recipes, stick to the bonfire and other official kitchen equipment.

Story quests give food. Hidden treasure chests have food. Some monsters drop cooked food. Some monsters drop HQ meats that you can cook to gain food that has a high% filling factor. Killing things as you explore and do the story isn't a bad way to gain food at all.

You can also fish if you have the DLC that allows that, which can also help fill in the gaps if you want to devote time to fishing.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished Moonbrooke. The story is this game is so thoughtful. The bit where you do violence against Malroth by building gobsmacked me. Love the Builder / Malroth relationship.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Moonbrooke. The story is this game is so thoughtful. The bit where you do violence against Malroth by building gobsmacked me. Love the Builder / Malroth relationship.
I thought the story was really nice. If this is the type of stuff im going to experience in XI when it releases, im all in.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's much lighter and fluffier than the main games, you're in for a ride with XI

Are there any more of these kind of secrets? I had no idea about that spoiler! I loved going back to the old places and fixing them up with my advanced skills and resources, especially Moonbrooke Castle. I kinda am hoping that I would be able to go back to
The Spaceship
I guess it's not in the cards, though.

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
Are there any more of these kind of secrets? I had no idea about that spoiler! I loved going back to the old places and fixing them up with my advanced skills and resources, especially Moonbrooke Castle. I kinda am hoping that I would be able to go back to
The Spaceship
I guess it's not in the cards, though.
After you complete 45 tablet targets, you'll get a letter with a Buildtopia passcode that takes you to the spaceship. The buildtopia becomes one of your three Buildtopias so you can build on it, or copy/paste the spaceship to your IoA, whatever.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After you complete 45 tablet targets, you'll get a letter with a Buildtopia passcode that takes you to the spaceship. The buildtopia becomes one of your three Buildtopias so you can build on it, or copy/paste the spaceship to your IoA, whatever.

AH, I totally went to buildtopia once and went "Meh." Far out.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I guess that kinda tied up the loose ends. I think I've done literally everything there is to do, now. All bosses, medals, markers, super monsters.

Anybody who played DQB1... how does it compare to 2?

Oct 28, 2017
Well, I guess that kinda tied up the loose ends. I think I've done literally everything there is to do, now. All bosses, medals, markers, super monsters.

Anybody who played DQB1... how does it compare to 2?
2 is better in almost every conceivable way. Keep your expectations low, remember that you have to start from scratch in every story area, and pick the game up on mega sale if you want to return to the first Builders. Having a save file on the same system does unlock some small bonuses in the second game as well, I think it is hairstyles on planting the first town flag and Dragonlord's Throne on having a clear save file.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
After more than a 100 hours, I finally finished the main story (LOL) and I loved it. And as much as I want to unlock the epilogue, I'm not sure I want to go through 45 tablet targets to do it.

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
Only one tablet target to go: pet breeding.

Why is this such a pain in the butt? Hey, get your animals to 100% happiness and then give them a moreberry in this 30-second window of time and then wait for the animals to go to sleep and then sleep on a bed, and MAYBE you get your baby pet?

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Only one tablet target to go: pet breeding.

Why is this such a pain in the butt? Hey, get your animals to 100% happiness and then give them a moreberry in this 30-second window of time and then wait for the animals to go to sleep and then sleep on a bed, and MAYBE you get your baby pet?
No. The wait until 100% is the terrible part. But when you get them both to 100% you need to give both of your dogs or both of your cats a special pink strawberry (you get them by planting strawberries randomly) the day before going to sleep (so just before the sun goes down) and you will always get a baby.
Also you need to be sure both dogs/cats are female and male, and not male male or female female.
To give the strawberry just go to the animal and press the give object button.

Oct 28, 2017
No. The wait until 100% is the terrible part. But when you get them both to 100% you need to give both of your dogs or both of your cats a special pink strawberry (you get them by planting strawberries randomly) the day before going to sleep (so just before the sun goes down) and you will always get a baby.
Also you need to be sure both dogs/cats are female and male, and not male male or female female.
To give the strawberry just go to the animal and press the give object button.
Pets do not have genders. Just have to make sure they don't drop under 100% during the night and that your Island of Awakening isn't full up.

If they don't fall asleep in a pet bed/animal house, they will drop under 100%, you can avoid this by standing close to the animal house or being in another area around the time they fall asleep. The major cause of them not having babies is them falling asleep on the ground because the Builder acts as an "attract" to pets with high happiness.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Pets do not have genders. Just have to make sure they don't drop under 100% during the night and that your Island of Awakening isn't full up.

If they don't fall asleep in a pet bed/animal house, they will drop under 100%, you can avoid this by standing close to the animal house or being in another area around the time they fall asleep. The major cause of them not having babies is them falling asleep on the ground because the Builder acts as an "attract" to pets with high happiness.
In spanish pets do have genders, it says perra/perro, gata/gato on their species. Wouldnt surprise me it doesnt show in english but the genders still exist.

Oct 28, 2017
In spanish pets do have genders, it says perra/perro, gata/gato on their species. Wouldnt surprise me it doesnt show in english but the genders still exist.
They do not show in the English version and I have twice bred both pet species to the final coloration without running into any problems. The chances of me doing that without running into a gender lock (if one existed in English) is extremely small, especially considering the way I did it.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
They do not show in the English version and I have twice bred both pet species to the final coloration without running into any problems. The chances of me doing that without running into a gender lock (if one existed in English) is extremely small, especially considering the way I did it.
I actually have to add that i never needed to search for females and males for the breeding process, the game always gave me female and males equally, so maybe it forces that to make it easier to breed and thats why you didnt encounter any problems.
It would be strange to diferenciate them in the menus if it wasnt of any use.

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure my game is broken. Nothing is making sense....im in khrumbul dun stuck at 35% for fix the tunnels with no mission points to go to and no way to seemingly move forward. Cant build the last parts i need to rebuild the bar since i need iron ingots for those parts and i have no way to make iron ingots.

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
Argh, I've hit the item limit, I can't seem to find anything online to help out - is there any way to increase it from 7 pages? Or are there good techniques to avoid filling up? Or do I just need to put everything in chests?

bagandscalpel

Oct 25, 2017

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Argh, I've hit the item limit, I can't seem to find anything online to help out - is there any way to increase it from 7 pages? Or are there good techniques to avoid filling up? Or do I just need to put everything in chests?
Im pretty sure theres a ton of shit you dont need to carry around on your menu.
Theres a video of a guy called bxc that shows you how yo put everything neatly on drawers.
Also, use drawers instead of chests, chests are useful for villagers and room creation, while drawers are only used for decoration purposes but still let you put items on them. You dont want to surpass the limit of chests just to put items on them.
When yoy build only carry useful building stuff (and health items and some food), the rest can go into drawers. Also have a building table on the menu so you can put it near the place you build for easy acess, then destroy it to put it again on your inventory.

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty sure my game is broken. Nothing is making sense....im in khrumbul dun stuck at 35% for fix the tunnels with no mission points to go to and no way to seemingly move forward. Cant build the last parts i need to rebuild the bar since i need iron ingots for those parts and i have no way to make iron ingots.
To advance the plot you may need to wait for the NPCs at points in that island. Is your town's resident golem made out of copper yet?

BigTime_2018

Dec 31, 2018
I'm 45+ hours into the game, and I haven't even gotten to Khrumbul-Dun yet lol

I'm currently working on the first set of Tablet Targets. I want to complete all of them before moving on.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm 45+ hours into the game, and I haven't even gotten to Khrumbul-Dun yet lol

I'm currently working on the first set of Tablet Targets. I want to complete all of them before moving on.
I believe that they make doing that impossible for various reasons. For instance, you won't be able to grow enough crop variety yet to hit all the "Grow lots of different crops!" Tablet Targets, but you should easily be able to clear the first one or two at that point in the story. More are added in gradually as you go through the story, but each area has 20 Tablet Targets in the endgame/postgame. In my experience, it is a lot easier to hit cumulative ones like Grass, Forest, and Water with more areas unlocked on IoA, but it isn't completely ridiculous to hit them without advancing the story, wheres there are a few you can not finish until you've rolled the credits.

It is best not to stress yourself out. I definitely moved through the story at a brisker pace on my second save file because progressing the story allows you to unlock the more difficult Tablet Targets quickly and makes it easier to fulfill them.

BigTime_2018

Dec 31, 2018
I believe that they make doing that impossible for various reasons. For instance, you won't be able to grow enough crop variety yet to hit all the "Grow lots of different crops!" Tablet Targets, but you should easily be able to clear the first one or two at that point in the story. More are added in gradually as you go through the story, but each area has 20 Tablet Targets in the endgame/postgame. In my experience, it is a lot easier to hit cumulative ones like Grass, Forest, and Water with more areas unlocked on IoA, but it isn't completely ridiculous to hit them without advancing the story, wheres there are a few you can not finish until you've rolled the credits.

It is best not to stress yourself out. I definitely moved through the story at a brisker pace on my second save file because progressing the story allows you to unlock the more difficult Tablet Targets quickly and makes it easier to fulfill them.
I didn't know there were some you couldn't do without further progressing through the story. Thanks for the info!

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So, at about 5 hours in... I'm kinda surprised by how much... I don't like this as much as 1.

Because there's a whole lot to like here, the QOL improvements everywhere are incredible, and they save you so much time compared to the 1st game for one thing. But aside from Malroth and Britney I'm just not digging most of the characters, and I really wasn't expecting farming to be this much of the game (which is odd coming from me, since I like farming sims, but I came for the building, not farming). I've kind of been dragging my feet with the game lately hoping that I can get done with this island soon and move on but it just keeps going...

I'm sad because I loved the first one and the intro for this game had me instantly :(

Edit: Oof and after reading how the second island is I think I should just go back to 1 lol

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
So, at about 5 hours in... I'm kinda surprised by how much... I don't like this as much as 1.

Because there's a whole lot to like here, the QOL improvements everywhere are incredible, and they save you so much time compared to the 1st game for one thing. But aside from Malroth and Britney I'm just not digging most of the characters, and I really wasn't expecting farming to be this much of the game (which is odd coming from me, since I like farming sims, but I came for the building, not farming). I've kind of been dragging my feet with the game lately hoping that I can get done with this island soon and move on but it just keeps going...

I'm sad because I loved the first one and the intro for this game had me instantly :(

Edit: Oof and after reading how the second island is I think I should just go back to 1 lol
Don't worry too much about the farming, they'll automate the process with NPCs as you go through the story, and it is only a major part of the story in Furrowfield.

Island Two actually has a lot of LGBT+ content but it is definitely overshadowed by the heterosexually thirsty miners, which probably causes people to jam through all the text as fast as possible.

Britney is life though.

Oct 27, 2017
To advance the plot you may need to wait for the NPCs at points in that island. Is your town's resident golem made out of copper yet?

Yes that just happened last night, but i still cant do anything to further the tunnel quest or make the iron ingots....those are the only two quests and i dont have any dots on the map anywhere telling me where to go next...what am i missing?

Oct 28, 2017
Yes that just happened last night, but i still cant do anything to further the tunnel quest or make the iron ingots....those are the only two quests and i dont have any dots on the map anywhere telling me where to go next...what am i missing?
The next quest should be to get some iron, been a while for me though. I'd probably just double check that you finished all the rooms the NPCs asked for since those can kind of be "hidden". Also make sure your town is at the right level and that there are 10 lights outside the buildings.

Last edited:

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
You'll have to use chests/wardrobes/drawers. And there's a limit on each of those, too.

See (for info):
https://www.reddit.com/r/DQBuilders/comments/cs9azw/dqb2_storage_limits/
Im pretty sure theres a ton of shit you dont need to carry around on your menu.
Theres a video of a guy called bxc that shows you how yo put everything neatly on drawers.
Also, use drawers instead of chests, chests are useful for villagers and room creation, while drawers are only used for decoration purposes but still let you put items on them. You dont want to surpass the limit of chests just to put items on them.
When yoy build only carry useful building stuff (and health items and some food), the rest can go into drawers. Also have a building table on the menu so you can put it near the place you build for easy acess, then destroy it to put it again on your inventory.
Thanks! I chucked a bunch of dressers near the boat and put all of my one-off items and stacks of 999 blocks into different dressers, got a couple pages of inventory back. It's a bit rough after having what felt like infinite space and then suddenly being completely full haha

Oct 27, 2017
The next quest should be to get some iron, been a while for me though. I'd probably just double check that you finished all the rooms the NPCs asked for since those can kind of be "hidden". Also make sure your town is at the right level and that there are 10 lights outside the buildings.

lmao so i figured it out....in a nutshell, im a moron. I somehow didnt realize that i could make the 6 drinks that are needed as part of revitalizing the bar. Once i did 3 or 4 of those, a bunch of new quests opened up and i can now go into the mines again with the miners to mine iron. All good now lmao #DOH!!!

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had a lot of fun going back post-game and fixing up the cities that helped me gain my power. Repairing Moonbrooke into a legit castle is super fun!

Fomortiis

Jan 2, 2018
Oh, I just found another little thing with the epilogue that I missed, though this might be one of those "how did I miss this thing everyone probably saw" things
You actually get a little cutscene with Hellen and Rosie if they're both on Furrowfield. I missed it because I kept Rosie on the Isle of Awakening until I decided to send everyone back to their home islands to see their dialogue.

I missed it because I only had Hellen there by herself when I was checking her dialogue, haha

bagandscalpel

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, Vas , my progress just got set back to the end of this year (at earliest) since I decided to shelf the Scarlet Sands project and jump right into turning the Hermit's Mountain inside out. Thinking of building my own Hargonian castle, with silly gimmicks like this:

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, Vas , my progress just got set back to the end of this year (at earliest) since I decided to shelf the Scarlet Sands project and jump right into turning the Hermit's Mountain inside out. Thinking of building my own Hargonian castle, with silly gimmicks like this:

I feel ya. I started to renovate my old central city district, and took some of the more rustic structures and started to make them look more modern. The restaurant, for example, was just a long and narrow building with a flat wooden roof made out of softwood. It was cramped with about 5 small buildings all crammed in together. I ended up tearing down half of the buildings in the area to open things up and rebuilt a lot of the structures. The mass block-replacement tool is a godsend.