• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
h2x1_nswitch_dragonqup8k5u.jpg

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

General Info:
Publisher:
Square Enix (PS4), Nintendo (Switch)
Developer: Omega Force, Square Enix
Platforms: PS4, Switch
Release Date: December 20, 2018 (JP), July 12, 2019 (WW)
Price: $59.99, €59.99, £49.99
Demo? yes, there's a demo for both platforms
Reversible Cover? yes, both versions have reversible covers with the 2D art on the back
Game Size: 1.94 GB (PS4), 1.55 GB (Switch)

Reviews:
Metacritic (PS4): 86
Metacritic (Switch): 85
OpenCritic: 85

Eurogamer (recommended):
The Minecraft and Dragon Quest mash-up gets refined for the sequel, with a few other outside influences helping make it a laid-back joy.

IGN (8.8/10):
Dragon Quest Builders 2 is an admirable RPG and an admirable building game that seems to have gotten the best bits of both of its parent genres.

NintendoWorldReport (9.5/10):
Dragon Quest Builders 2 features solid controls, attractive presentation, online multiplayer and limitless charm, but these don't tell the whole story. Each element of the experience on its own would be less than impressive, but like a pile of wood, bricks, mortar, and steel before its shaped by human hands, the sum of its parts culminate in an impressive and memorable architecture. The small tasks on each island can feel like chores after a while, but then suddenly they won't. The neighbors you've been helping all this time will pitch in and divide up larger projects so the burden doesn't fall squarely on your shoulders. You might think striving for the title of Master Builder is all about the monuments and landscape you leave behind, but it's actually just as much about the friends you make along the way.

DualShockers (9.5/10):
Dragon Quest Builders 2 is a masterfully built game with a multitude of shiny new features that are just a joy every second you get to tinker with them. I could play this game for a very long time and never get bored with it. There's something included here for fans of multiple genres and titles. Whether you're a fan of the Dragon Quest series or not, this is a game you can jump into. While it's certainly a spin-off from the mainline series, Dragon Quest Builders 2 may very well be one of the best game in the entire franchise.

Can You Pet the Dog?

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
quick OT cuz no one was making one, will add more info in the future. if someone wants to make a banner that would be great too.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
I'm so ready to sink another week of my life in Builders 2 like the first game! Gotta wait for Amazon to deliver the game tho

Datrael

Oct 25, 2017
How much gameplay time should I expect to get out of this game? Does the game end after the story mode or can I play like I would play minecraft, endlessly?

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Our copies got delayed because of the hurricane so I'm gonna go out and buy some today and return the others once they arrive. I didn't play the first but I'll give the one a shot.

OT: If you build it they will come. Again.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kinda, all of your inventory comes back with you to your hub island but whenever you visit a new key area you have to leave everything behind. So you're always starting from scratch but you keep everything after
What about your level? I seem to remember you also had to start each area at level 1, with base equipment. Its been a while since I played Builders 1 (still have it)

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
What about your level? I seem to remember you also had to start each area at level 1, with base equipment. Its been a while since I played Builders 1 (still have it)
Your equipment like sword and armour stays with you but every new area starts at Level 1

You do however have a player level this time which grows throughout the whole game

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Buying this today. Does anyone know what the "stackable slime" is? It's the thing that is exclusive to the digital deluxe edition on PS4.

VegiHam Dragon Quest Builders 2 has everything that 1 had, and then some. There aren't any reasons to buy 1 over 2. DQB2 is just bigger and better. And it even has coop. The demo of 2 was different from the demo of 1, but that's because it was just focused on different stuff. The full game of 2 lets you do so much more than what 1 let players do.

Get 2, play hundreds of hours of it... and if you're still starving for more after that, then get 1 lol.

Oct 27, 2017
At first I was excited to get the Switch version, but I've been spoilt by the PS4 version of DQB1 - after playing both demos PS4 version is the way to go except if portability is a major point for you.

Anyway whatever your console you should have a great time.

I'm excited to play this.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Hear me out.

Does the single player campaign have co-op?

I have a 6 year old son, freaking in love with Minecraft. He has autism (aspergers) so while he's very smart he also has his concentration limits and if something does not interest him in the slightest it's dead to him.

I on the other hand is no fan of Minecraft at all mostly due to the fact that... it's just building and no real story etc etc :P Would this game appeal to me while also attract my son since it's building and stuff? I really like how this looks and I want to play something new with my son. I very much like to escape Minecraft hehe

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
The one game I decide not to pre-ordered for my Switch. Went to EB games 5 hours after opening time, all copies gone. Drove to the next town, all copies gone. Drove to the one after, all copies gone again :-(

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hear me out.

Does the single player campaign have co-op?

I have a 6 year old son, freaking in love with Minecraft. He has autism (aspergers) so while he's very smart he also has his concentration limits and if something does not interest him in the slightest it's dead to him.

I on the other hand is no fan of Minecraft at all mostly due to the fact that... it's just building and no real story etc etc :P Would this game appeal to me while also attract my son since it's building and stuff? I really like how this looks and I want to play something new with my son. I very much like to escape Minecraft hehe
Nope, it does not unfortunately :(
It appears that coop is relegated to the free-build island.

Hopefully this changes for Builders 3. Builders 2 is so much improved from 1 that I guess we could dream big for 3. The people behind this game seem to understand what players want.

Arkai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
How vast is the free build island in this? My girlfriend is likely to get this to play with me in multiplayer so looking to see what we're dealing with. Is free build open from the start and fully open or do you need to progress in the campaign to unlock stuff like in Builders 1?

Is it essentially Minecraft but Builders? Is it endless like post game (or is this post game?)

Kensuke

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I played the first one thoroughly and reviewed the second one for a Dutch site. I was pretty surprised by how different it ends up feeling. Builders 2 makes tweaks on the formula so much that it ends up being a different experience overall. Definitely not just a simple case of 'bigger and better'.

To boil it down:
Builders 1 is much more an adventure game. You venture out and explore unknown lands with no map. Each chapter is self-contained and you basically have four different adventures with different characters and goals. Sure you could spend a lot of time building up your towns, but that was never really all that encouraged.

Builders 2 I would categorize more as a traditional RPG and building game combined. This game is more guided, a lot more friendly to the player and more story-focused. There is a long tutorial and a long (awful) chapter in the middle of the game where you barely have control. You have a map now, you can teleport to hometown anytime with no punishment and you unlock lots of fast travel points making traversal unnecessary. That sense of 'adventure' is clearly diminished as you don't really feel like you're going into the great unknown. If that's the only thing 2 offered it would be a worse game, but it makes up for it by greatly enhancing the building aspect. The blueprints you build, the amount of materials you get and the tools you use are massively expanded and more complicated and compelling. I went back to my original DQB1 towns to see the difference and they look like trash compared to what I was doing in Builders 2. You can much more easily landscape in this game and make truly epic creations. Especially now that you have your own hub people will build into their personal paradise. The story chapters are also scaled up to be longer, with more quests, characters and bigger towns enhancing the RPG feel.

Right now I don't think either is necessarily better than the other. I might actually enjoy having these two different experiences.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
I played the first one thoroughly and reviewed the second one for a Dutch site. I was pretty surprised by how different it ends up feeling. Builders 2 makes tweaks on the formula so much that it ends up being a different experience overall. Definitely not just a simple case of 'bigger and better'.

To boil it down:
Builders 1 is much more an adventure game. You venture out and explore unknown lands with no map. Each chapter is self-contained and you basically have four different adventures with different characters and goals. Sure you could spend a lot of time building up your towns, but that was never really all that encouraged.

Builders 2 I would categorize more as a traditional RPG and building game combined. This game is more guided, a lot more friendly to the player and more story-focused. There is a long tutorial and a long (awful) chapter in the middle of the game where you barely have control. You have a map now, you can teleport to hometown anytime with no punishment and you unlock lots of fast travel points making traversal unnecessary. That sense of 'adventure' is clearly diminished as you don't really feel like you're going into the great unknown. If that's the only thing 2 offered it would be a worse game, but it makes up for it by greatly enhancing the building aspect. The blueprints you build, the amount of materials you get and the tools you use are massively expanded and more complicated and compelling. I went back to my original DQB1 towns to see the difference and they look like trash compared to what I was doing in Builders 2. You can much more easily landscape in this game and make truly epic creations. Especially now that you have your own hub people will build into their personal paradise. The story chapters are also scaled up to be longer, with more quests, characters and bigger towns enhancing the RPG feel.

Right now I don't think either is necessarily better than the other. I might actually enjoy having these two different experiences.
I loved that "long (awful) chapter"!

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Haha, you enjoyed the story of that chapter? Personally I was not happy with how it wrestles away control from you and how you really don't build anything and just walk around back and forth for most of it. That's not the strength of this game imo.
It was the impact of the lack of control that I really liked, it knocks you down and builds you back up really effectively

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the game and...I sorta regret it. The fault lies on my end though...I should've read more about the co-op itself, I forgot it was limited to the isle of awakening...which by itself is ok but that means if I want most recipes for co-op purpose I need to go through the 40+ hours long story. I would've prefered a more robust co-op experience but bah..

I need to sleep on it, perhaps I can balance story with co-op and so on but so far...yeah I miss that 80$. Mind you I can always ask for a refund but I'll wait a couple of days and see what follows.

Last edited:

Chaos17

Oct 27, 2017
France
Started playing it, I am still very early in the game but I can say I really like the camera. I played DQB 1 on PS vita and the camera did really putted me off, it was too close to be able to enjoy building for me.

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
Sub'd

We are waiting that the gameshop opens to go get it! Obviously, I'll let my daughter play first so I guess I'll try it later tonight.

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I feel this game doesn't get a lot of love here on Era but I can't wait to dive in later today!