• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
dqbot5mqo4.jpg
Developer: Square Enix/Bird Studio/Armor Project
Publisher: Nintendo
Platform: Nintendo Switch (other platforms released already long ago)
Release Date: February 9, 2018 (PAL & NA ) | March 1, 2018 (Japan)
Genre: Craft & Mine RPG
Multiplayer: No
Pro Controller Compatible: Yes
eShop Download Size: 811MB
Languages: Japanese, English, Spanish, French, German, Italian
Demo Available: Yes!
Game Download/Official Site: Europe | North America | Japan
Reviews: [???]

Build for fun! Build for adventure! Build to save the world!
Explore a world made of blocks as you gather, craft and build to defeat the evil Dragonlord in Dragon Quest Builders for Nintendo Switch!

CI_NSwitch_DragonQuestBuilders_Screen1_image950w.jpg

Craft a new world anytime, anywhere
With Nintendo Switch, you can take Dragon Quest Builders with you, wherever you like! What's more, a Nintendo Switch exclusive Great Sabrecub will boost your speed and grant you special material by defeating enemies.

CI_NSwitch_DragonQuestBuilders_Character_image950w.jpg

A world in chaos
Generations ago, the realm of Alefgard was plunged into darkness when the hero fated to slay the terrible and treacherous Dragonlord, the ruler of all monsters, instead fell into his trap!

Through the King of Darkness' evil powers, mankind was scattered to the winds and robbed of the power to build. With even the idea of creativity relegated to mere legend, the people of Alefgard wander the ruins of their former home, scrounging and scavenging in the dust to survive.

The goddess has spoken
You have been chosen by the goddess Rubiss. Rise as a legendary Builder in a tale of epic proportions, and explore a vast sandbox world to gather materials, craft items and build everything imaginable.

Build a legacy
Master the art of construction, shape your own towns however you want, defend them from monsters, and rescue townsfolk in need. Succeed and you may just rebuild Alefgard, the very same world where the Dragon Quest series began.

Only when the wonder of imagination has been returned will mankind be able to overthrow the evil Dragonlord once and for all.

CI_NSwitch_DragonQuestBuilders_Screen2_image950w.jpg

Freestyle forming
A separate free build mode allows you to build to your heart's content with unlimited resources – the intuitive control system will have you building the towers and castles of your dreams in no time! What will you create?

Restore life to the shattered world of Alefgard in Dragon Quest Builders on Nintendo Switch!
  • Gather materials, craft items, and build towns to fulfill your destiny as the legendary Builder
  • As you build rooms and defenses, towns level up and residents grow stronger
  • An open world adventure with real time battles against monsters and bosses
  • Discover side quests, treasure chests, and building schematics during your travels
  • Build to your hearts' content in Terra Incognita, the free-build mode
  • Battle waves of monsters at the arena in Terra Gladiatoria
  • Upload your creations online or download buildings made by other players
  • Nintendo Switch version of the game Exclusive content: gather special materials with the Great Sabrecub to unlock retro customization options, including the Dragon Quest Game Pak

dqbbottj3r3j.jpg

Last edited:

LunarKnite

Oct 27, 2017
Downloaded the demo when it came out a few weeks ago. Deleted it after 30 minutes because I knew I'd get sucked in if I played it longer. I'll definitely be picking this up when I make the trip to Best Buy next week to pick up my Dynasty Warriors 9 pre-order.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh god I love the OT title

Anyway, I really liked the demo, and I will be sure to pick this up eventually (probably not any time soon though)

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Noooo, UPS requires showing a government issued ID in order to receive the package, else it would not drop off at my back door while I'm at work...

Oh well, at least it's safe and secured at a local UPS store.

I can't wait to try this game out.

Arkai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I played a chunk of this on the PS4 a bit back, but received my Switch version today and looking forward to getting stuck in to this. Its a fantastically charming game and I can't even remember why I stopped playing it originally.

Perfect fit for the Switch and well worth checking out.

Oct 25, 2017
Loved the demo on PS4 but I held off when SE said that it was a perfect fit for NX/Switch.
Got it pre-ordered, excited to dig in

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

LunarKnite

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, progress transfers from the demo? Well then, I could've been playing to my heart's content then.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
So I have this pre-loaded on Swtich. It unlocks at midnight - but I'm going to be at work. Does it need an internet connection at midnight to unlock or does the system just know now is the time to let me play the game?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I ended up ordering this after all, the demo was impressive enough and £35 was a good price. First Switch game of 2018 for me!

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I have this pre-loaded on Swtich. It unlocks at midnight - but I'm going to be at work. Does it need an internet connection at midnight to unlock or does the system just know now is the time to let me play the game?
Whenever I try to play early it connects to the eShop first to check. I assume you need a connection.

Could always just hotspot to your phone for the unlock and then disconnect.

Jin

Oct 25, 2017
What exactly is this game?
Is this purely sandbox gameplay with some very loose story more akin to minecraft?
Or is it focused on progression, gearing, fighting like something like Terraria?

I personally can't do much with sandbox games, they just bore me after a short while but when I have some progression, good fights and a solid building system, I can really get into it.

Oni_J

Oct 28, 2017
Already own this on vita so I'm not double dipping, but everyone should play this. Amazing game

My same position, had a blast with the single player on the PSV, but did not touch the online is it worthy for a double dip? If I recall it's nothing more than a sandbox area you can share/visit?

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is this purely sandbox gameplay with some very loose story more akin to minecraft?
Or is it focused on progression, gearing, fighting like something like Terraria?

I personally can't do much with sandbox games, they just bore me after a short while but when I have some progression, good fights and a solid building system, I can really get into it.

There is a demo.

My same position, had a blast with the single player on the PSV, but did not touch the online is it worthy for a double dip? If I recall it's nothing more than a sandbox area you can share/visit?

What game are you talking about?

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil

The story is actually pretty dense. You can treat the game as a sandbox, and you can go back to each "stage" to continue building if you want to, but it's mostly objective-based gameplay. You kill monsters, you search for items or NPCs, gain better gear, etc.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Going after the Platinum on PS4 made me rush the game (you have to finish chapters under X days) so if I pick this one up, I think I'll enjoy it more this time. Maybe later while waiting the sequel.

Allyougame

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed what I've played of the demo, and thus am very interested in the game, but I've been wondering about the difficulty. I'm hoping the game proper is more challenging.

gnilres

Oct 28, 2017
Sweet! Loved the demo on PS4 and if you check the old forum's B/S/T thread you can see I was trying to buy it for a while. Glad I didn't though, can't wait to pick this up tomorrow!

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I didn't like Minecraft the few times I played it, but I was really enjoying playing the demo... I don't have money at the moment, but I'll pick it up later for sure.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
I am tempted to double dip, but there are just too many games I want right now. I can wait on this to get cheap.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I did everything in the demo and am kind of confused about what more I could do. Seemed like a simpler minecraft, but due to isometric it means you have to build in a certain way.

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
Enjoyed the demo! Was kind of interested in it. I saw there were only 4 chapters from a Nintendo Life review. Are they lengthy?

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Haha great title! That Bamco reference.

Will be checking the demo soon.
It was actually just intended as a dig at us always having to cause a massive outcry (thanks, letters from France!) until Square Enix finds money in the bank to localize Dragon Quest games but then after posting it fits even better for the Nintendo-port problem :D

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Played it too much on ps4 (with remote play at times too) to double dip. But I want to recommend this game to anyone in diubt. It's so charming and it feels fresh, even if you've both played Minecraft and DQ before.

It has some story with quests. So it feels like a great mix between the two games.

NyxKiria

Self-Requested Permanent Ban
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
ahhh.. im so excited i cant control myself.. gotta work first before i can play though

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Hm, physical or digital? Is it the type of game you play through once and are done with it, or one where you come back every once in a while..?

Oilvomer

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cliche I know, but this really is a perfect fit for the switch

Oilvomer

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hm, physical or digital? Is it the type of game you play through once and are done with it, or one where you come back every once in a while..?

It has a story, but I am not sure if they fill the world with stuff to do after you finish tha main part...I would check reviews for the PS4 version, that should tell you