• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Heard good things about the game so I was looking forward to trying the demo but I don't think it's for me. It feels like fetch quest after fetch quest with some fiddly building and barebones combat.

Seems like a solid port though!

Deleted member 8112

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Played a bit more, it's really fun and I like the feel of the game itself more than Minecraft. I hope they update it to 1080p docked and fix the framerate in handheld mode, Minecraft got a similar update.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Never played or been interested in Minecraft before. I downloaded the DQB demo and 3 hours went by without realizing it. From what I understand this game has more direction and objective, which is what I don't like about about Minecraft from the little I know about it. The orchestral classic DQ music is also a huge nostalgic plus for me. Will buy for sure once the game comes out.

Haven't noticed any of those magical frame drops or problems people are complaining about here (docked mode). I think that once people know a game has unlocked framerate, they start seeing frame issues where there are none.

Deleted member 17347

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On the Vita, I was kinda burned out after playing the demo too long. I still bought the game, but dropped it soon after. Especially the fact that you had to start over drom scratch every chapter was a big let down.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll try out the demo during the weekend hopefully. I legit did not know the full game was costing 50 Euros. I paid 20 Euros for Minecraft for comparison, I have my doubts that this one is worth 2.5 times that, but I'd gladly have a well-done "creative" game for the Switch.

Manggei

Oct 28, 2017
Haven't noticed any of those magical frame drops or problems people are complaining about here (docked mode). I think that once people know a game has unlocked framerate, they start seeing frame issues where there are none.

Not true. There are sometimes frame pacing issues (I only played docked) when wandering around. Didn't bother me though, they're minor imo.

Ha, I'm really surprised by how much fun this game seems to be! I went in like "Meh, Minecraft stuff, I dunno..." but this might keep me coming back for more! I just can't decide if I'd rather wait for DQB2.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
Heard good things about the game so I was looking forward to trying the demo but I don't think it's for me. It feels like fetch quest after fetch quest with some fiddly building and barebones combat.

Seems like a solid port though!
It's Minecraft with a story and goals. They are not particularly inspiring goals, nor a particularly interesting story, but it's surprising how large of a difference having some direction (and world building) makes for the overall experience IMO.

I enjoyed it quite a bit on PS4. Will buy 2 for sure, probably will hold off on this port of 1.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I ignored the game completely when it came out because of the builders moniker, but playing the demo on Switch and it is incredible addictive and charming. Unfortunately $60 is a really hard sell so I'll be grabbing the PS4 copy for $20.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I tried the demo and it was fun! For me personally, Minecraft is too open. I miss direction and DQB exactly does that by adding the story and the crafting system. It's more than just a Minecraft clone. It does enough things differently for me to buy it. I'm not sure yet if I'll do that at launch or I'll definitely get it eventually.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
The price is 4800¥ in Japan, so unless NoA starts charging more, which they never do (Pokémon costs 4980¥, which is like 45$) it will likely be under 40$.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad it got ported to the Switch and will breath more life into the franchise.

Dragon Quest Builders is definitely in my top three favorite games I played last year. I like the idea of building ala Minecraft but hate that those kind of games don't have a focused story or objective. Builders definitely balances it well and it's incredibly satisfying to be able to use one's imagination to take down an array of strong enemies or trivialize a boss.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
This game flew completely over my head the first time around, because I strongly associated it with Minecraft, which is decidedly not my thing.

After playing this demo though, I am completely sold. As it turns out, the inclusion of objectives etc. really helps a lot in making it work for me. Hell, if only the draw distance wasn't so (reportedly) questionable I'd go hunt down a Vita copy right now. Cant't wait, excellent teaser.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
block controls feel kinda weird, great game but I think I'm more interested in creative mode than rpg

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Builders 2 also coming out this year? If so, maybe you guys should wait for that. It looks to be massively improved from the first game.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I am very sensitive to sloppy frame pacing and poor frame rates. It's the reason I'll never finish Bloodborne.

This demo has felt wonderful to me in handheld mode. Can't wait to play more, and can't wait to transfer my save to the full game.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am very sensitive to sloppy frame pacing and poor frame rates. It's the reason I'll never finish Bloodborne.

This demo has felt wonderful to me in handheld mode. Can't wait to play more, and can't wait to transfer my save to the full game.
Oh save can be transferred? In that case i will beat the demo and colllect some mats.

ReadyorNot

Jan 6, 2018
Isn't Builders 2 also coming out this year? If so, maybe you guys should wait for that. It looks to be massively improved from the first game.

Has that even been announced for Switch at this point?

I had a good time with the demo myself so far. Battling enemies kind of sucks but I do love the focus it gives you to do things, building and creating. I might give the full game a go. Handheld mode for this game is indeed a blessing.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
Was afrais building would be complex, but it was simple enough. The combat was a bit lacking though... I don't lnow if you get spells or anything like the enemies have.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's good so far but I really hate being stopped about every two seconds to be explained how to craft x thing even though it's absolutely obvious, is it always like that in the game or only for the beggining ?

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Has that even been announced for Switch at this point?

I had a good time with the demo myself so far. Battling enemies kind of sucks but I do love the focus it gives you to do things, building and creating. I might give the full game a go. Handheld mode for this game is indeed a blessing.
It was announced by Horii at the beginning of August at the same time as the PS4 version. They later decided they might as well port the first one over.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I bought the game for PS4 on release, got to around midway through the second chapter, was loving it, then my copy was stolen. :( Pre-ordered the Switch version and can't wait to get back in to this gem of a game.

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
Just noticed this is a full price release, talk about a rip off for an over one year old game that can be bought much cheaper on other platforms.
Can even buy the vita and ps4 version for cheaper in Japan and make a Sony Switch.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
Kinda wish the demo and game released at the same time. I was ready to purchase almost straight away and am dejected that I have to wait nearly a month for it to come to switch. Probably just going to keep playing the demo indefinitely.

Demo spoiler...

Found the dragon in the demo and even tho I was only armed with an oaken club, decided to take him on. Took me 4 in-game days to defeat him since each hit of my club only did 0-1hp of damage. But he ended up dropping a nice couch for my dirthole town. Pics...
DTVxdz7VAAA6ecu.jpg
DTVz4kzV4AAa-CW.jpg
DTV3K0AVQAc31Dz.jpg
DTV4Gr2VAAA9vvY.jpg

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Just noticed this is a full price release, talk about a rip off for an over one year old game that can be bought much cheaper on other platforms.
Can even buy the vita and ps4 version for cheaper in Japan and make a Sony Switch.
I thought you lived in Japan. (Sorry, maybe I just assumed that since you seem well informed) It's not full price here. You can pick it up off Amazon for about 3800ÂĄ.

hipsterbodega

Oct 30, 2017
I absolutely loved the first 10 - 15 hours of the Vita version, but I ultimately stopped playing because the building area never grows and you're expected to constantly wedge new things into a relatively small space. I didn't care for that.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I really like the demo so far. I remember playing the demo on PS4 but somehow got distracted because of other games. However, I see myself playing this quite a lot on the go. Really like the fun atmosphere in this game!

Pal

Tried to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only tried it in handheld and it seems legit, I enjoyed what I played.

Is the framerate unlocked? It seems above 30fps but sometimes not quite 60fps.

It's definitely unlocked 60fps. Haven't played the undocked mode yet but I can tell you the docked mode runs at 60 fps, so long as you do not pan the camera to see the entire landscape. At that point, it lowers around 50-55fps, depending on what you are looking at. This is guesstimate of course, based on my experience with the demo.l

On topic, I really had fun with the demo and am trying to determine whether or not it's worth a purchase considering Builders 2 is coming later this year....Hmmmmmm....

ronaldthump

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
great game. finished it on PS4. Buy it if you're on the fence. Long and meaty. Really fun.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I do. I was just going by the amazon.com price, good to see it's decently priced here.
Ah, yeah, it doesn't seem like such a hot deal for the US. But here it is fairly decent, the PS4 version when launched at 7800, so I am glad SE cut down the price a bit for the old port.

That's interesting. The advice price is 4800 yen + tax.
NimpXGc.png

Always buy Amazon in Japan, they usually offer 18% off on new titles.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Was trying it yesterday and LOVED it. Probably going to buy it, but knowing theres a sequel coming I dont know if its better to wait or just buy this and if I love it as much as the demo, buy the sequel in the future.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
while I liked the demo, I cant say it enthused me on buying it. if anything the demo unsold me on the game. the combat is terrible, even for a game with simple combat; the building feels limited, though this could expand in later areas; and the (starting area at least) world so far doesnt feel all that fun to explore. it's very compacted, even for a starting area

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Might have to check this out. One reason I can't get into Minecraft is because it has no story or direction. When handed such a game I just . . . lose interest.

Nov 1, 2017
Played this for PS4 but didn't get terribly far. I liked it for the most part but it got a little repetitive for me. Probably a game I'd actually enjoy more on the Switch to play on the go when I had some time here and there.