• To celebrate the release of Halo: The Master Chief Collection on Steam, Xbox Games Studios has provided 5 Steam copies of the game and 5 Xbox One copies of the game! We will be giving these away in the Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Some Steam copies will also be given away to the PC Gaming Era community.
  • An old favorite feature returns: Q&ERA is back! This time we'll be collecting questions for Remedy Entertainment, makers of Max Payne, Alan Wake, Quantum Break, and Control. Members can submit questions for the next 4 days, 19 hours, 46 minutes, 37 seconds. Submissions will close on Dec 12, 2019 at 12:00 AM.

Dragon Quest Community Thread |OT| Party Chat

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
Almost done with Joker and sad to say I think I'm going to hold off on playing Joker 2?

DQ Monsters Joker just feels kind of incredibly directionless and empty. Theres not really much in the way of interesting characters or battles to keep you hooked, you're just kind of meandering around for crystals and grinding.

Does Joker 2 or 3 improve on this or is it basically more of the same? Its a bummer since I like the idea of the series (DQ has incredibly charming monsters) and I'm a big fan of the monster taming genre but this one just isn't doing it for me. Not really feeling motivated to progress much.
Joker 2 is an improvement, more of a story trying to get the airship running again and wondering what the big monsters can do. The west got screwed out of Joker 2 Pro, which gives even more content to the game. The MC in Joker 2 also knows how to run unlike the Joker 1 MC. Joker 1 honestly needs to be upcoming in the Square Enix remake factory because it's very hard to play in 2019.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Someone has to pop my bubble here, so y'all are free to be mean. Seeing that the recent chunk of Dragon Quest games are doing well on Switch, the announcement of Dragon Quest of the Stars getting localized five years after its original release, might this be the time to maybe push X and try to sell the Nintendo Switch Online service outside of Japan by being crazy and making a subscription to the online service act as a "subscription fee" to the game? I mean, Monster Hunter Tri had a subscription fee in Japan but didn't in other regions, so that's what I'm thinking of as a way to "push" the game.

I know they've spoken more than once about an offline version for overseas fans, but I think if they ever did an offline version, it would be to assure the game didn't vanish to time, and that's not happening until the game is no longer supported in Japan. That won't be until 2022 the earliest, and if they feel DQX shouldn't be supported anymore. Until then, the only way I could imagine it ever getting localized was with an extreme push, like how PSO2 is promising to launch with everything the game has seen in a translated fashion. I can only fathom that working for a text-focused series like DQ is if the games volume was "bundled" in a way, hence my idea of allowing people who subscribe to Nintendo Switch Online to already have access.

It kinda stings knowing some of these franchises that struggled in the past (Monster Hunter and Yakuza) are now doing so well we're all but promised announced titles, though Dragon Quest feels so close of finally entering that space...doubly hurts when people say DQX is the best game in the series, and that remains the sole mainline game left in just one region.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
Someone has to pop my bubble here, so y'all are free to be mean. Seeing that the recent chunk of Dragon Quest games are doing well on Switch, the announcement of Dragon Quest of the Stars getting localized five years after its original release, might this be the time to maybe push X and try to sell the Nintendo Switch Online service outside of Japan by being crazy and making a subscription to the online service act as a "subscription fee" to the game? I mean, Monster Hunter Tri had a subscription fee in Japan but didn't in other regions, so that's what I'm thinking of as a way to "push" the game.

I know they've spoken more than once about an offline version for overseas fans, but I think if they ever did an offline version, it would be to assure the game didn't vanish to time, and that's not happening until the game is no longer supported in Japan. That won't be until 2022 the earliest, and if they feel DQX shouldn't be supported anymore. Until then, the only way I could imagine it ever getting localized was with an extreme push, like how PSO2 is promising to launch with everything the game has seen in a translated fashion. I can only fathom that working for a text-focused series like DQ is if the games volume was "bundled" in a way, hence my idea of allowing people who subscribe to Nintendo Switch Online to already have access.

It kinda stings knowing some of these franchises that struggled in the past (Monster Hunter and Yakuza) are now doing so well we're all but promised announced titles, though Dragon Quest feels so close of finally entering that space...doubly hurts when people say DQX is the best game in the series, and that remains the sole mainline game left in just one region.
There's no way that I can see to make the effort of bringing the game over worthwhile. People aren't going to pay a subscription for a Dragon Quest MMO, and even if it were F2P the userbase would likely be very small. DQ10 is a very good game, and has a lot going for it with the story and character designs. But it's quite a simple game, I don't think Joe or Jill Gameplayer would take to it.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Man...I'm so torn right now.

On one hand I could continue my DQ XI playthrough, on the other I've been thinking about finally playing DQ VIII 3DS a lot.

DQ VIII is quite possibly my favorite entry in the series and I never really did much of the postgame content which leaving unfinished always bugged me. Also the new features sound pretty awesome, especially adding Red as a party member who seemed like a badass character that I wish the game had done more with back when I played it on PS2. Also new dungeons, etc.

I'm not very far into XI but I feel like if I keep going, I might lose interest in picking up VIII afterwards.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017

On one hand I could continue my DQ XI playthrough, on the other I've been thinking about finally playing DQ VIII 3DS a lot.

DQ VIII is quite possibly my favorite entry in the series and I never really did much of the postgame content which leaving unfinished always bugged me. Also the new features sound pretty awesome, especially adding Red as a party member who seemed like a badass character that I wish the game had done more with back when I played it on PS2. Also new dungeons, etc.

I'm not very far into XI but I feel like if I keep going, I might lose interest in picking up VIII afterwards.
8 is a far superior game to 11 IMO. Especially the 3DS version.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018

Both games have different story beats, and I've only played halfway through 8's story, but the general consensus seems to be that 11 is what 8 would be if it was made in 2017.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Both games have different story beats, and I've only played halfway through 8's story, but the general consensus seems to be that 11 is what 8 would be if it was made in 2017.
I have no doubt that both are excellent.

What I've played so far of XI leads me to believe it would end up being a worthy successor to VIII by the end.

Bran-dono

Aug 22, 2018
I can't be the only one that feels XI on the Switch has set a new standard on big console games on handheld right?

I cannot believe XI runs so well on the Switch, and manages to minimally compromise it's gorgeous graphics and performance.