• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What a nice surprise was to see Hendrik joining the party, somehow I managed to not spoil that for all this time, wish that they could add him to the loading screens or intro

Deleted member 3534

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I adore this series and just imported Dragon Quest Slime MoriMori from Japan. It's less text heavy than other DQ games but still, a translation is required to progress in the game.

Does anyone know if there's a fan translation out there? I really want to dig into this game. Even if it's just a text file or something, I'd love to play this game.

Raw64life

Oct 25, 2017
ZOnbGBE.png

As I had been expecting/hoping, next month the S-E cafes in Japan will be Dragon Quest themed.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Have people tried the JPN demo? (Is that up yet?) I know we have some people in Japan or who can speak the language in this thread at times. Are any of you going in on Builders 2 when it releases? Quite excited/curious about it, but I'll need to wait for localization myself.

I want to write a good blurb for DQXI for the GotY thread when that happens. It is my only ambition for that thread :P.

I wish I had replayed DQIII recently and also wish I could replay DQXI before that time comes.

Edit: Also, thought a bit more about Rab and how he fits in in act 2:

Rab

I think Jade takes center stage with the Dundrasil story in act 1 for the most part—the game does that extended sequence with just Jade and the Hero at Dundrasil and Jade gets more attention throughout the act—but Rab's sorrow and catharsis during the scene at the altar is wonderfully delivered. His crying is animated so well. In general, his sorrow is quite muted in the game even while it is also the sorrow, to which the game gives deference if you ever visit Dundrasil again.

Rab's act 2 story is somewhat disappointing coming off the events at Dundrasil in act 1. Admittedly, it is a tough act to follow. That said, Rab's act 2 story ties into the general theme of act 2 well, namely it juxtaposes Rab the sensual scoundrel with Rab the monk, sitting emaciated, in the freezing cold meditating to find the power to overcome the darkness even when the luminary is seemingly lost. This is the epitome of his life since the fall of Dundrasil cast in stark relief, as he gives up his person (and his girth, albeit temporarily) to become what he needs to be to see the cause through.

I do wish there was less focus on Rab the rascal and pervert and more of a fine point put to his sorrow. I don't in general begrudge DQ its tendency to be understated, but I feel it didn't quite come together for Rab. It took me quite some time to reach the conclusion in the paragraph above, for instance, and see how Rab's act 2 story tied into the overall focus of the act. Rab is at least integrated into the events at Dundrasil in act 2, though.

Not much more but something a little more.

In general, this kind of story connects most of the character vignettes in act 2 as well as the overarching hero narrative.

Have to think about Erik some more wrt this point, but other than Jade and perhaps him, everyone fits this sort of scheme and is struggling with something similar.

(Erik feels close by, but I don't have a point to it in my head as of yet).

Last edited:

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Well I did think more about Erik:

I think his story is a reverse, namely he grabs onto first thieving and getting the orb and then the hero's quest as replacement causes to hide from his own life. He is forced to confront this in the second act.

Moreover, the hero's quest brings him to that point and allows that to happen.

This ties into what is going on in Sylvando's story, namely the hero's quest is a necessary prerequisite for Sylvando's quest: it underlies it and allows for it to happen.

This is a double-edged statement about the hero's quest: namely it is a miraculous sacrifice that allows others to achieve happiness but also that it doesn't alone bring them happiness, there are further causes.

This is coupled with act 3's affirmation of the hero's "further cause" as an individual, moreover that of Serenica.

Serenica, the spirit of lost time, is the hero that accomplished the hero's quest more-or-less but lost her personal cause.

Serenica as she is returned to the past, however, achieves that lost cause.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I adore this series and just imported Dragon Quest Slime MoriMori from Japan. It's less text heavy than other DQ games but still, a translation is required to progress in the game.

Does anyone know if there's a fan translation out there? I really want to dig into this game. Even if it's just a text file or something, I'd love to play this game.
IIRC there's a guide floating around online that covers enough to get you through the game. I never did 100% it despite my best efforts though. There were a few collectibles I just couldn't find. No translation that I'm aware of though. Slime Morimori 3 is awesome if you liked the tank battles of 2, though this one will require you to get a JPN 3DS.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
So FiveSide and I have been continuing our conversation about DQXI in discord DMs and I wanted to post some thoughts that touch on what he brings up in his GotY ballot (Link: https://www.resetera.com/threads/re...-ends-jan-20th-8-59am-est.87946/post-16094313).

Namely, his bit at the end there (the stuff about lost time) returned my attention to the gaping lacuna in my own analysis: I need to replay DQXI and look at the vignettes beyond the stories of the core cast members.

Below are some thoughts on how those tie in to the central analysis--and how they tread off the beaten path (largely taken from discord; FULL SPOILERS):

I think maybe you can kind of connect the Hotto story and Vince's story--both occupy a hero/village leader position and both want to do the best for their people but have a personal weakness and a personal cause that causes them to throw said people under the bus but yet be forgiven despite it all, perhaps somewhat guardedly but forgiven all the same.

And then in act 3 they get to actually be a hero to their town while doing well by their personal issues.

Their original story is quite similar to the prince of Gallopolis too. But he doesn't really have a need for a do-over with the way that ends.

I guess Kai is grappling with a) the sins of his grandfather, b) the pain of his mother, and c) his own hyper-active fear/awareness of ostracization. Derivitively from this all d) a hatred of mermaids and e) a hatred of his grandfather. Society and family history puts him in this sort of bitter malaise. Meanwhile, Michelle is dealing with a) the relative mortality of man and mermaid and b) her eternal sorrow and hope regarding the dreamed-of-yet-not-occuring return of her loved one. She's dealing with being a long lived creature with a tendency to romantic loyalty.

Putting them together cuts through the dark malaise Kai has built up as he comes to see Mermaids--and his grandfather--in a different light. It also gives Michelle a second chance with a facsimile of her original lover and indeed his flesh passed down through time.

In fact, this was the ending I thought we were going to get in act 1. But we didn't and instead there was tragedy of one of two flavors and the lingering thought "what if they had been able to get to know one another?"

In the back of the mind, however, there is always the whole "this will just repeat what happened to his grandfather," but where act 3 leaves the story is conveniently resolution of the story up to that point.

The possible connection of all this is just societal "needs and wants" pressing down on Kai and him imbibing them in a toxic way in the context of who he is. Namely, a connection in the sense of a struggle between the greater good in some sense and his own. But this is attenuated.

Carnelian gets the better ending in the sense that he doesn't end up killing yggdrasil or destroying his own home. He has still done evil and through his evil lost his daughter and his friends (the latter in part directly at his own hands). He is forced not to redo some of his evil, however and gets more of an actual reunion with Jade, namely not a single changed conversation. He still has his problems, imo, namely why he was possessed is kind of weak and doesn't really develop him; his relationship with Jade is lackluster; the game doesn't really deal with his guilt well.

Morcant has a better story. His possession is at least explicitly preying upon his lust for magical knowledge and power and his possessed self is an expression of an inner darkness so to speak. Moreover, his existence as the seer speaks to his guilt and his sorrow. And just as for Serenica it is a do-over where she gets to not only seal Calasmos and also be with Erdwin, her love, it is a do-over for Morcant: He gets to see Calasmos expunged, if not the darkness fully destroyed. He also gets to see the harm his betrayal undone unwrought upon the same circumstances as Serenica reunites with Erdwin.

This last bit shows how the broader thing plays with the specific hero versus human thing.

Well, I bring Gemma up because it struck me to think about Cobblestone not from the hero's but from her perspective, which I've done before in previous posts. Similar flip here with Serenica/Morcant--that is a way to look anew at what was redone as the world doesn't have a sole agent and if one angle gives you a certain narrative, that doesn't mean another angle will comport with said narrative.

In any case, her sacrifice is waiting and letting the protagonist see the world, waiting and letting him be the hero, waiting and hoping he actually remembers her when he has off and done big things and met larger-than-life people. And it isn't in her control, he's going to do that either way. He's a strapping young lad and he seems very happy to set off in the beginning, even with, as we see, Cobblestone is very important to him and Gemma too.

She is then a victim of Carnelian and Heliodor and again she has to let the protagonist go and be a part of something bigger, even when they meet again in the world of ruin. So in act 3, Cobblestone is rebuilt and the protagonist returns to her albeit he cannot even be bothered to actually ask for her hand (still think they should've rolled that into the rebuilding quest if they were going to do it).

There is also cobblestone/versus Last Bastion to consider: which would it be better to have there? Cobblestone speaks to peace and small happiness. Last Bastion speaks to great deeds in time of need, rising to the occasion, being a hero....all that jazz we've already talked about. So the do-over in building Cobblestone again is also significant in this sense. Gemma rebuilds it.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I got Dragon Quest Heroes II as an early Christmas present and it reminded me that I would like to give a hearty middle finger to S-E for announcing DQ Heroes 1+2 for Switch (featuring my boy RAGNAR) before DQH2 was even released in America, making me think "I might as well just wait for that version and get more value on a system I'll enjoy playing it on more", then proceeding to take so long to not localize the Switch version that I forgot the game even existed. I wonder why it didn't sell that well?

Anyway I am very early in but already I can see that this is a huge step up over the first game. I had no idea they added the missing characters from the first game as DLC but I'm glad they did, I also had no idea that you could play as monsters using the medals this time and I love it.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
I got Dragon Quest Heroes II as an early Christmas present and it reminded me that I would like to give a hearty middle finger to S-E for announcing DQ Heroes 1+2 for Switch (featuring my boy RAGNAR) before DQH2 was even released in America, making me think "I might as well just wait for that version and get more value on a system I'll enjoy playing it on more", then proceeding to take so long to not localize the Switch version that I forgot the game even existed. I wonder why it didn't sell that well?

Anyway I am very early in but already I can see that this is a huge step up over the first game. I had no idea they added the missing characters from the first game as DLC but I'm glad they did, I also had no idea that you could play as monsters using the medals this time and I love it.

Yeah nearly everything across the board is better in Heroes 2 but the DQH1 main characters are better than the protags from 2.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
I bought DQH1 way back when it launched but didn't get very far into it before I just got tired of the formula. It's basically my first Musou despite it not really being a full-on Musou like other titles. I really wanted to play Hyrule Warriors someday too but I fear the same thing will happen: the novelty of playing a crossover title will wear off fast and every mission will just be more of the same, tedious affair.

Maybe I'll give it another chance in the future.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
Unfortunately, the DQB2 demo was probably the worst demo I've ever played. As in, not a demo for a bad game, but a terrible demo. Like watching a movie trailer that's just the opening credits. I presume DQB1 serves as a floor for the sequel's potential, since DQB1 had a sort of unfinished feel to it. But in the demo, I couldn't do much in the way of building something functional. I got to build. . . one room. Whee.
Instead, players were encouraged to create works of art with the blocks and upload snapshots, but that's not my jam. My postgame freeplay in DQB1 was a giant, stupidly over-engineered dorm hall for all the human NPCs (and evidently the game didn't expect me to do that, because I reached the game limit for rooms, signs, and roof tiles before it was completed).

DQB2 is obviously a much better game than the demo showed, but I came away with no impression other than "wait and see" because it provides no meaningful insight.

Last edited:

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I really liked the original Builders, so I'm guessing I'll like this one but just how it all comes together now is a curious thing. Particularly interested in how, say, bringing story characters into the free build potentially improves said free build. Really hope the curated RPG/adventure builder feeling of the main game can seep into the free build as it was so lifeless in the original.

Also just interested in things like: does it maintain the DQIV-esque chapter structure for the main campaign, with the many (different) beginnings? Are the new building tools and options cool?

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I decided it was time to finally increase my DQ collection, so I searched around online and ordered a couple new monster plushes. The Dracky showed up today, I liked this guy ever since I used him as my starter in Joker 1.

Y8n6hgbl.jpg

I bought DQH1 way back when it launched but didn't get very far into it before I just got tired of the formula. It's basically my first Musou despite it not really being a full-on Musou like other titles. I really wanted to play Hyrule Warriors someday too but I fear the same thing will happen: the novelty of playing a crossover title will wear off fast and every mission will just be more of the same, tedious affair.

Maybe I'll give it another chance in the future.

You definitely have to be able to tolerate a certain amount of repetition to enjoy Musou games. Personally I love the endless combat but if it's not your deal then you'll probably get more enjoyment out of just watching a compilation of the cutscenes on Youtube, because the character interactions are a major highlight. Maribel's asshole persona reaches new heights when she's voiced.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I decided it was time to finally increase my DQ collection, so I searched around online and ordered a couple new monster plushes. The Dracky showed up today, I liked this guy ever since I used him as my starter in Joker 1.

Y8n6hgbl.jpg

You definitely have to be able to tolerate a certain amount of repetition to enjoy Musou games. Personally I love the endless combat but if it's not your deal then you'll probably get more enjoyment out of just watching a compilation of the cutscenes on Youtube, because the character interactions are a major highlight. Maribel's asshole persona reaches new heights when she's voiced.
Those plushies are really cute.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I need to step up my game (no pun intended) and get some stuff like plushies too. Those look really high quality Camjo-Z !

The Goodybag in particular is really well made. The spheres on his drawstring are made of some hard plastic to contrast with the soft materials, they attached those little gems to him with a string to simulate the floating ones in-game, and you can't tell from the pic but his mouth actually has a really deep pocket inside that works well for storing coins.

I still have a little Bubble Slime and a Hammerhood (which I believe was released just this month) coming so I'm looking forward to those, will likely be a few weeks before they arrive though.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017

Y8n6hgbl.jpg

Where you buy these? The slime looks similar to what I have, but that goodybag looks great.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where you buy these? The slime looks similar to what I have, but that goodybag looks great.

Slime was the Square-Enix Store, the others were Amazon.co.jp and eBay. It pays to search around though, for example the Hammerhood I wanted couldn't be shipped to my location from Amazon JP but I was able to get it from HobbySearch for roughly the same price.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Got the new Dragon Quest Illustrations book for Christmas. It's really nice, lots in there too.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Any impressions from that Terry's DQ Monsters game recently released on iOS in Japan?
I think the initial word of mouth was positive, but lolking at iOS reviews, some people seem to be really angry about the changes introduced in the 1.0.1 update.

As for DQB2 I finally started playing the full game today, but didn't get far, I just unlocked the hammer and the board. So far I'm having fun, but I kind of wish it ran better on the Switch.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
currently attempting to play through DQ3 on mobile for the third time and actually enjoying it + making progress now because i finally stopped being dumb and made my fourth party member a warrior instead of a gadabout

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
currently attempting to play through DQ3 on mobile for the third time and actually enjoying it + making progress now because i finally stopped being dumb and made my fourth party member a warrior instead of a gadabout
My dude...

You do know that they can class change into sages without a book, right?

Well, I guess it would depend on the rest of your party.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I should note that I haven't actually played DQ3 before so I went in mostly blind. Previously I never even got beyond the part where you use a wrecking ball lol, currently I've just finished the bit where you get the crown back from Robbin 'Ood.

On a slightly different note, I've been playing Dragon Quest Builders on Switch as well (another game that I started on Vita long ago, never played past Chapter 2, but will actually complete now) and I had forgotten how fun it is. I don't know what DQB2 does to change the structure of the first game but I really enjoyed what I played of that game's demo as well, the small QOL changes I noticed were really great. Weapons that don't break, the ability to pick up blocks, having a hammer on hand at all times, a first person mode to solve those pesky camera issues, etc. The one complaint I had was the slightly wonky framerate on Switch, but it was only really noticeable when I switched between the two games since DQB1 runs incredibly smooth in comparison. Here's hoping that localization gets announced in the inevitable January Direct.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the pics. I love these cool little promo events they do in Japan, especially the themed food.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
How can it be surprisingly soft? Isn't it expected to be softer than other slimes since it's pure liquid?

You'd think so, but these plushes are shockingly innaccurate. For example, I was almost tricked into purchasing a Metal Slime plush until I saw some pics and realized that it was, in fact, not made of hard metal. You gotta watch out for unscrupulous online sellers these days.

Speaking of merch, my Hammerhood came in, but I'm gonna hold off on pictures until a couple other things arrive.

I tried playing DQHI and found it horribly slow. Is DQHII better?

If by "slow" you're referring to the combat and movement speed, I would say those are still a bit slow compared to other Musou games due to the focus on MP-limited spells/skills and the option to run being blocked once you get into a fight.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using a sword and shield on my hero in DQ11 but I decided to switch to a greatsword and he feels SO much better to use. Now with two tough guy tattoos equipped he fills the niche of heavy-hitting badass instead of just being a boring old jack of all trades.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
*reach Puerto Valor*

Oh look, the casino. Guess I'll spend the obligatory 5 minutes losing at the slots and move on.

*hours of Slime Quest later*

yeah hi i'm calling because i think i have a fucking gambling addiction

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
*reach Puerto Valor*

Oh look, the casino. Guess I'll spend the obligatory 5 minutes losing at the slots and move on.

*hours of Slime Quest later*

yeah hi i'm calling because i think i have a fucking gambling addiction

I had the same experience except I ate it hard on the 1 token slots and didn't come away with anything.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I'm getting close to the end of DQ2 (GBC) now and the amount of grinding is horrid. Played through DQ1 in a weekend and that was a much more pleasant experience.

2, 3, 8, 9 are the only mainline games I'm yet to beat. So I'm in for a bit of a treat after I finish this one. Will play 3 after KH3.