• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
On my road to DQXI S journey (bought VI, Builders and VII 3DS), finally started DQVI.

This game has already won me over with the haggling shit in Haggleton.

*walks away with a fat bag of gold by playing two competing merchants against each other*

Croix

Oct 25, 2017
On my road to DQXI S journey (bought VI, Builders and VII 3DS), finally started DQVI.

*walks away with a fat bag of gold by playing two competing merchants against each other*
Hope you enjoy it! DQ6 is one of the most creative entries in the series. I had the same impression as you when I first played it, the opening segment is pretty fun.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA

I just started VI myself. I must've missed that. I talked to several people but eventually I sold the village goods for a little over 300. I DID however get the Thief's key for a mere 200. Was NOT expecting to be able to haggle so low for it. I was low in money and just wanted to leave so I could go and grind some money, so I kept saying no until he dropped the price enough for me to buy it.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I just started VI myself. I must've missed that. I talked to several people but eventually I sold the village goods for a little over 300. I DID however get the Thief's key for a mere 200. Was NOT expecting to be able to haggle so low for it. I was low in money and just wanted to leave so I could go and grind some money, so I kept saying no until he dropped the price enough for me to buy it.
There are two merchants with the same tough horned helmet/mask dude sprites that are brothers.

You turn down the original offer from one of them, go to the other bazaar tent where the other brother is and they raise their buying price for the goods once they hear what their sibling is offering you, keep doing that and the price will go all the way up to 480 gold before they won't raise it any higher.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Woah.

Where the hell did this come from?

I think we knew a Dragon Quest V movie was coming but that looks better than I was expecting. This could be great. I wish it looked a bit less DreamWorks and a bit more Toriyama, but the only character design that really bothers me so far is Hero himself.

Last edited:

Deleted member 47619

Woah.

Where the hell did this come from?

The animation looks great. I especially love the part where the Hero gave Borongo/Saber a hug. I'm pretty surprised that they chose a different art style for this. I thought that the character design would look closer to Heroes.

I think the plot will change quite a bit(mostly due to time constraints). It's a bit too early to tell, but based on what the Hero said in the trailer he might actually be the Legendary Hero instead of his son. Granted I'm not 100% sure.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
The animation looks great. I especially love the part where the Hero gave Borongo/Saber a hug. I'm pretty surprised that they chose a different art style for this. I thought that the character design would look closer to Heroes.

I think the plot will change quite a bit(mostly due to time constraints). It's a bit too early to tell, but based on what the Hero said in the trailer he might actually be the Legendary Hero instead of his son. Granted I'm not 100% sure.
If your spoiler is actually what happens, I'm out.

I'm too much of a purist.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
The Pepper Pig voice actors in DQ Heroes..its weirding me out, man.

King Doric is already going to be in my top five of DQ badasses though, I can see that already.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm replaying DQ11. Yep, this is a classic for years to come.

Quick lore question, though. I need a lore master. Spoilers for DQXI:

Okay, so Rab is a member of the royal family. It is implied that he is the retired King of Dundrasil. He was apparently the father of the Hero's mother. So, would that mean the Hero's father is not King, but rather a Royal Consort, and his mother is the actual ruler of Dundrasil at the time of his birth? It's kinda hazy.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Well, thats DQ VI done.

Its nowhere near as interesting as IV or V but it gets the job done. Another rock solid Dragon Quest. Also bless Old Amos. Really underrated character.

I tried the super boss and got slaughtered (lv40 across the whole wagon). I'm tempted to grind and get him beat in 20 turns unlock whatever the special scene is becuase I hate leaving unfinished business but honestly, theres no reliable way to grind metal king slimes in this one as far as I can tell so I don't have any interest in throwing myself at enemies for 5-10 hours to grind levels and vocations to beat this guy.

Probably just going to move on to DQ VII.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I think there is just an appropriate recommendation about how to play VII:

B982606425AA79AEF4616DFE721893F44F498F06

And like someone said in this forum, don't play it like a RPG, but as adventure game. Enjoy!

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017

I'll echo what others have said. Take your time, have fun with it. A fun aspect of 7 is how it took influence from Myst, so there's a lot more poking around to be done in the first section of the game. There's a great sense of discovery and adventure. I think that approaching the game like a snack or a Reader's Digest article is a good way to go. Little bits and pieces here than there, savour it, but don't do too much at once.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Taking a short break from VII to pick back up on Builders.

Man...I'm going to stop taking villagers out with me into the wild. Lost Glutimus in Chapter 3 and haven't been able to find him since (map icon not showing up).

They do good damage but they get lost/stuck too easily when they should just teleport when you get too far away.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mia is insufferable, oh man. I forgot what a spoiled, greedy, entitled brat she was. Although, it was pretty cute when she secretly hugged Erik's gift to her.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I always got the impression that Maribel was a disliked character but she's pretty funny so far.

I love party members that are just huge assholes.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
I always got the impression that Maribel was a disliked character but she's pretty funny so far. I love party members that are just huge assholes.
I like them when they're over-the-top like Deborah in V. I don't know how it went over in localization but I played VII in Japanese and if Maribel was supposed to be hyperbolic, the execution was flawed. First off, the insults were strangely plausible, as in I've been subjected to worse IRL. Her party chat was also very limited, and at least as far as I got (maybe 20 hours), static and context-independent. So it was the same insults over and over again, hour after hour.

I ain't asking DQ to give me a tsundere waifu but at least in Japanese, once the insults got stale, Maribel wasn't a humorous caricature so much as relentlessly abusive. It wasn't fun playing a game with an NPC constantly treating the MC like an incompetent, and it's frankly one of the reasons I gave up. It didn't get under my skin but it made her the furthest thing from likeable, and liking the characters is pretty darn important to me if I'm slogging through an RPG.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I like them when they're over-the-top like Deborah in V. I don't know how it went over in localization but I played VII in Japanese and if Maribel was supposed to be hyperbolic, the execution was flawed. First off, the insults were strangely plausible, as in I've been subjected to worse IRL. Her party chat was also very limited, and at least as far as I got (maybe 20 hours), static and context-independent. So it was the same insults over and over again, hour after hour.

I ain't asking DQ to give me a tsundere waifu but at least in Japanese, once the insults got stale, Maribel wasn't a humorous caricature so much as relentlessly abusive. It wasn't fun playing a game with an NPC constantly treating the MC like an incompetent, and it's frankly one of the reasons I gave up. It didn't get under my skin but it made her the furthest thing from likeable, and liking the characters is pretty darn important to me if I'm slogging through an RPG.
I completely understand that take. Thats fair.

To me though, she's just so goddamn relentless about it that it wraps around from being annoying to actually being entertaining becuase of how ridiculous it is.

You're right though. She doesn't hold a candle to Deborah (so far anyway).

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
To me though, she's just so goddamn relentless about it that it wraps around from being annoying to actually being entertaining becuase of how ridiculous it is.
That sounds like a much healthier approach to it. Unfortunately in my case her commentary resembled the particular sort of bullying I got in my childhood. Again, it's not like the scars got torn open, but playing VII did feel like an annoying, incessant pecking at them.

FWIW she's way toned down in DQH2, although pretty much everyone is.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
That sounds like a much healthier approach to it. Unfortunately in my case her commentary resembled the particular sort of bullying I got in my childhood. Again, it's not like the scars got torn open, but playing VII did feel like an annoying, incessant pecking at them.

FWIW she's way toned down in DQH2, although pretty much everyone is.
A big thing is how the character is perceived in the fiction. Keifer and the hero barely consider her a friend at the start (if at all, she keeps pestering them) and actively try to avoid her/not involve her in things. Theres a fun bit of friction there rather than camaraderie for me.

To go off on abit of a I can't watch an anime called My Hero Academia besides otherwise being excellent becuase theres a character in that show that is a horribly unlikable bully that is pretty much put on a pedestal by the main character he antagonizes to a disturbing degree. As someone who was bullied relentlessly by my older brother, I can't deal with that so I can sympathize abit.

Last edited:

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
It was nagging me in the back of my head so against my better judgement, I went back and grinded to beat Nokturnus in DQ VI.

Not really worth it aside from the challenge. Thought I would get a better ending but the only thing that really changes is

The final battle replays but Nokturnus basically squashes all three forms of Mortimar effortlessly for you.

Which was entertaining...but still.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
Started a two-character, "Lawful Good" run of DQ3 last night. More surprises than I expected. To recap, a "Lawful Good" run means:
  1. Primarily, you respect privacy & property. No looting towns or entering households. You can enter inns but not the guest rooms, castles (government property) but not closed-off areas like treasuries, etc.
  2. Raiding dungeons and picking up items off the ground is OK, with the exception of -- depending on your [characters'] beliefs -- graves.
  3. Acquiring items you need to beat the game is permitted because duh, but only those items. It's not like, "I can't beat the game without the Magic Key. Welp, the whole Pyramid is fair game, I guess!"
  4. Looting mini-games (read: parcheesi) is OK.
. . . basically, you go about the game as a civilized, law-abiding citizen as best you can. DQ3 has almost no quests or cutscenes, so without looting there's little to do in towns except talk to passersby. This makes towns pointlessly boring or experimentally weird, depending on your mindset. In my case it's the latter. Being mindful of things I'd be IRL turned on parts of my brain that saw the towns differently. I'd be all like, "Wait, can I go here? Can I do this?" and NPC reactions had a different feel to them. I once stumbled into a house at night, figured might as well talk to the inhabitant, and his terse response to intrusion made me feel like I'd done something genuinely bad. On the other hand, it makes the game much less tedious because you walk past every pot & barrel.
It turns out DQ3 is quite compatible with this play style; thinking back on it you mostly miss out on some herbs and petty cash. The biggest hit so far is the lack of mini-medals, which in turn means not getting some key weapons on schedule. This kind of bites in a two-person run which strongly relies on whips & boomerangs to make combat less grind-y. The thorn whip was already obsolete the moment I got it. I will also miss the Meteorite Armband but it's not a crippling loss.

As for two-character, as a long-term investment I picked rogue for my partner. You can use the book to turn anyone into a sage and rogues have good agility. However, the rogue is initially worthless for an LG run so the game started out super grind-y. Once I got going, though, money wasn't much of a concern (only two characters to equip) and whips & boomerangs (once I got them) made attacking groups quite manageable. Healing is a little tight but not awful without a back rank of squishies to worry about.
This is on emulator so I used save states on basically three occasions: creating the rogue (since it's reset-'til-you-get-it anyway), a sequence break to get to Isis early to access better shops (this is also doable without save states, it just speeds the process), and parcheesi (since I never win at parcheesi). Looting parcheesi makes up for the lack of mini-medal rewards, so I regret nothing.

Last edited:

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Party chat doesn't seem as dense in DQ VII as it was in DQ VI (DS) so far. Though I guess since VII was the first real implementation of it back on PS1, they didn't go whole hog on it and the 3DS remake might not have added a whole lot new to it. I could be wrong on that though.

I never bothered with it in VIII becuase I didn't want to keep going back into a menu for it so I don't know how packed it was in that game but damn, its astounding just how much reactivity there is to every villager or animal in VI no matter how insignificant they were in addition to them commenting on the various floors of dungeons and such.

It adds so much to the experience that I couldn't imagine playing the game without it. Really makes me want to play the mobile version of IV becuase it seems downright criminal that it was all cut from the DS version.

How is party chat in XI? Is it dense like the remakes or just kind of "well, we'll say something new when the story progresses or we find a new place but thats about it"? Still waiting on the switch version before diving in.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
How is party chat in XI?
I remember being underwhelmed. Has the same format problem as VIII so it's tedious to initiate it. I also remember it being exposition-y but that could just be fun with small sample sizes because, to reiterate, it was tedious to pull it up.

Bear in mind both VII and XI are huge and long so party chat with the depth of the IV~VI remakes would've overwhelmed the writers. But personally I think that's an argument in favor of limiting the scope because I'd rather have a smaller but deeper experience than, say, the recycled map nonsense of XI.

Last edited:

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
So I've beaten VI recently, going through Builder and Heroes right now.

Got Dragon Quest Monsters Joker and the sequel coming in the mail and thinking about buying the 3DS version of VIII.

...I might have a problem.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I really love the concept of DQ Builder's world being this sort of post apocalyptic version if the first DQ game where the hero chose to side with the Dragonlord.

So I was pretty hyped when..

I found out I was actually going to fight an evil version of the warrior from DQ1.

What I expected:

k6YcaHd.jpg

What I got:

jtmWzaL.gif

Deleted member 47619

The Dora in Grey Boss is so cheap in Dranicon mode it feels really unbalanced... Playing Dragon Quest XI on Dranicon mode is an alright experience but I feel a little disappointed that DQ XI doesn't really stick out for me too much, at least in comparison to the other games in the series. It's mostly just a solid RPG but with Dranicon mode, difficulties spikes occasionally show up here and there.

Also, I'm aware that this is an unpopular opinion in the Western Fandom but I don't like the party chat from the DQ IV Remakes. I mostly say this as a Cristo fan. I wish they took inspiration from his personality in the companion guides rather than the 4komas. I dunno, I miss the compassionate and dutiful Cristo.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
DQXI takes a while to start showing its hand more explicitly. Honestly doesn't entirely until the postgame. But it is always building there. It seems partially designed to lull you into thinking it is not though.

Definitely a game that grows as you play on and look back imo.

Deleted member 47619

I'm in the part of the game where you reunite with Sylv in Act 2 and I'm still bored with this game. I knew what I was getting into when I bought it, but I can't help but be disappointed just how bland the game is thus far. Even though it has themes that I do find potentially interesting, the execution does feel lifeless to me. I did have high hopes on DQ XI because I heard that it took inspiration from DQ IV(which is my favourite game in the series).

Granted I do enjoy DQ XI more than DQ VI but I the execution still think there are things that stop this game from really being rememberable.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the part of the game where you reunite with Sylv in Act 2 and I'm still bored with this game. I knew what I was getting into when I bought it, but I can't help but be disappointed just how bland the game is thus far. Even though it has themes that I do find potentially interesting, the execution does feel lifeless to me. I did have high hopes on DQ XI because I heard that it took inspiration from DQ IV(which is my favourite game in the series).

Granted I do enjoy DQ XI more than DQ VI but I the execution still think there are things that stop this game from really being rememberable.
It gets better eventually but fuuuuuck Act 2 was utter shit.

Deleted member 47619

It gets better eventually but fuuuuuck Act 2 was utter shit.

Well, that's good to know that I'm not the only person who feels this way. I did find the concept of Act 2 interesting, especially when I first heard about it back when the game came out in Japan. However, playing through it itself feels like a drag and it hard to stay motived.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Well, that's good to know that I'm not the only person who feels this way. I did find the concept of Act 2 interesting, especially when I first heard about it back when the game came out in Japan. However, playing through it itself feels like a drag and it hard to stay motived.
My husband agrees with us, so that's 3 people.

Honestly I don't know if I'll ever replay the game thanks to the slog that is Act 2. Meanwhile I've played all of the other mainline DQ games multiple times (except IX which also suuuuuuuuucks, and X for obvious reasons).

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
My husband agrees with us, so that's 3 people.

Honestly I don't know if I'll ever replay the game thanks to the slog that is Act 2. Meanwhile I've played all of the other mainline DQ games multiple times (except IX which also suuuuuuuuucks, and X for obvious reasons).

I've never been able to get through another full playthrough of DQ9. Started over many, many times. I think it's a 'time and place' thing with that one. I'll never move country again, be young again and have this big game to take up so much time again. So, it's stuck as a happy memory for me.

I'm currently going through Act 2 of DQ11 in English. I've been playing the game on and off since we moved to our new house in September. It's been slow going but I'm enjoying that there's so much to DQ11, even if the later sections of the game are a retread there's a lot to like in seeing the characters discover their hidden potential and the like.

I can get behind your misgivings, but I think I have a different attitude toward the game where I just want more even if it is tileswaps and backtracking. I guess this is how some people feel about the newer snorefest Elder Scrolls games.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
I've never been able to get through another full playthrough of DQ9. Started over many, many times. I think it's a 'time and place' thing with that one. I'll never move country again, be young again and have this big game to take up so much time again.
To quote Boromir during the Sorting Ceremony at Winterfell, one does not merely re-play IX. It was sort of the precursor to X and 80-90% of it is "postgame". And with only one save slot, I think the intention was that you beat the main quest only once, then move on to the "treasure" maps for good.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
To quote Boromir during the Sorting Ceremony at Winterfell, one does not merely re-play IX. It was sort of the precursor to X and 80-90% of it is "postgame". And with only one save slot, I think the intention was that you beat the main quest only once, then move on to the "treasure" maps for good.

Yes, you can see a lot of DQ9 in 10. The main dudes even look the same. I enjoyed 10 a great deal, I think because the social aspect of it was more active and accessible than in 9. I only played with other people a handful of times in 9. With 10 you had to play with other people, or at least rent out other players to get through tough bosses.

Deleted member 47619

I'm having a difficult time with Tatsunaga(rematch). I tried equipping fire resistant items, but no luck. My team is in there 50s. Not only that, Rab didn't learn Revive/Kazing at the level that he was supposed to. Have any tips?

Edit: Ah, nevermind, I found a way to defeat them. Rab learned Revive/Kazing in the next level. I use a defensive strategy with Hero, Rab, Slyv(with a Sage's Stone) and Serena.

Last edited by a moderator:

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I'm having a difficult time with Tatsunaga(rematch). I tried equipping fire resistant items, but no luck. My team is in there 50s. Not only that, Rab didn't learn Revive/Kazing at the level that he was supposed to. Have any tips?

Edit: Ah, nevermind, I found a way to defeat them. Rab learned Revive/Kazing in the next level. I use a defensive strategy with Hero, Rab, Slyv(with a Sage's Stone) and Serena.

Let me tell you, if you decide to replay the game with hard-mode anytime in the future, Tatsunaga is freaking crazy! The way stat scaling happens in hard, you'd be lucky if he breathed fire, and practically dead if he does a physical attack. His multiple turns are monstrous! You had the right idea, though, you have to prioritize defense with that fight no matter the difficulty.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
So been playing Heroes 2 a little bit. Fun game so far, I think it definitely benefits if you're familiar with the party members it includes.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
So been playing Heroes 2 a little bit. Fun game so far, I think it definitely benefits if you're familiar with the party members it includes.

Oh yeah, I had an awesome time with it! If you're playing on PC, I wouldn't mind giving you a hand!

I love how they handle the characters and all the class stuff the main characters get. Any classes you enjoy so far?

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, I had an awesome time with it! If you're playing on PC, I wouldn't mind giving you a hand!

I love how they handle the characters and all the class stuff the main characters get. Any classes you enjoy so far?
Playing on PS4 unfortunately.

So far I'm like really early on still, just got Maribel and Ruff. Still just testing everything out.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Playing on PS4 unfortunately.

So far I'm like really early on still, just got Maribel and Ruff. Still just testing everything out.
I have a PS4 one too, due to a Christmas mixup, but I can't play it right now. I can send a PM with my account when I'm good to go, if you're still playing in a week!

Regardless, have a good time! I recommend trying to get the thief class sooner then later, some overworld chests are locked till your Main character levels it up a little. Afterwards, you don't have to be in it to unlock them.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017