• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
DQ7 is one of my very favorite of the series.

It's a fantastic game. Always makes me think back to the first Christmas I spent in Canada. I took a train from Toronto to Winnipeg to visit a friend and played DW7 the whole way on the PSP. Didn't even get that far but thinking about the game and the section with the volcano gives me all sorts of sense memories.

I've been toying with replaying DQ4 recently, but I have paralysis when it comes to charging my 3DS and taking the big box o' games down from the cupboard.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I've been itching to re-visit DQ11. But am spoiled by the PC version, and kind of sad that S is limited to switch. Has ANYTHING been said about dlc or content for the pc version?

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
DQIV is great. Have fun Gloam if you get to it.

If they announce DLC for PS4/PC DQXI, it'll probably be after DQXIS launches/gets initial sales.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Kind of a bummer we never got the 1-3 ports for 3DS/PS4 over here in the west. Would be nice to get a DQ collection eventually.

I was SURE we'd get an announcement at E3. Maybe they didn't want to take away too much focus from the Mana Collection/ToM remake. Maybe there'll be a little something to go along with the video/release for Hero in Smash.

I've been itching to re-visit DQ11. But am spoiled by the PC version, and kind of sad that S is limited to switch. Has ANYTHING been said about dlc or content for the pc version?

Oh man, I hear ya. I just got a CPU upgrade and now I can play the game at 1080p/60fps with everything at max. It's beautiful. Although the Switch version doesn't look so bad. I might just play the game again in 2D mode.

If they announce DLC for PS4/PC DQXI, it'll probably be after DQXIS launches/gets initial sales.

If anything I can see stuff like the DQVIII Music option (man, such a random pick) or the "costume" option maybe being modded in.

Also I just realized, that with the 3DS version's "DQ Worlds" coming to Switch we'll get a glimpse of a localized DQX. That'll be interesting!

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been playing DQIX for the first time. Game is fun but I kind of hate how the job system is implemented in this game. Lose access to all of the learned spells plus resets your level to 1...

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017

Yeah, I've been wanting to replay it for years. I first got to it right after DQ5 and I felt a little underwhelmed by 4. But over the years my estimation of the game, and especially its characters, has grown. I'll hopefully work up the courage to dig it out this weekend.

Oct 25, 2017
DQ7 down. Final boss wasn't too bad. Got a bit of bad luck on getting put to sleep but it was fine.

Without finishing 6 or really playing much of 8, I can say that 7 is second only to 5 for me.

To me, having set party members with a name and an identity and a story is way better than here create your party. It meant so much more to me going into that last fight with my party than it did going into the final boss of DQ9 with a bunch of mute mercenaries. I think the smaller party really helped the game. I felt like I had a reason to become attached to each party member. You don't often get that in RPGs, especially once that are this long, where often times they become interchangeable parts just spouting off lines to progress the plot.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
So, I made the effort to dig out DQ4 last night. Not too far in yet, still on Ragnar's chapter about to go to the woods to find the wee bairns. One thing that's kinda frustrating about the DS version of the game is you can't use the L button to select things or talk to people, and you can only use it to skip certain text. I like the one-handed set-up for other DQ games.

blakdeth

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if the SFC, fan-translated DQII is still as buggy as some folks say? I was thinking about playing DQII for the first time. Having played through the SFC, fan-translated version of DQI, and enjoying it, it seems only natural to continue with the same version. Of course, if it is still buggy, perhaps the GBC version would be the next best thing? I definitely don't want to play the mobile version. Thank you all!

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if the SFC, fan-translated DQII is still as buggy as some folks say? I was thinking about playing DQII for the first time. Having played through the SFC, fan-translated version of DQI, and enjoying it, it seems only natural to continue with the same version. Of course, if it is still buggy, perhaps the GBC version would be the next best thing? I definitely don't want to play the mobile version. Thank you all!
Mobile version is fantastic and controls really well, you should give it a try

h8bit

Oct 26, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Even without party chat, I'm really enjoying DQIV. Just finished up chapter 4 and I love the vignettes of each character before diving into the meat of the story.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Even without party chat, I'm really enjoying DQIV. Just finished up chapter 4 and I love the vignettes of each character before diving into the meat of the story.
I really like that approach of getting to know all the characters, and then stuff like Torneko's setup is quite unique.

h8bit

Oct 26, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Just finished 4, what a ride. Really well paced, came in under 20hrs. V is on deck!

Also: ordered the switch slime controller last night because it is absolutely hilarious. will become my player 2 controller whenever friends visit ;)

Last edited:

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
Played a bit more of DQ4 this weekend. I don't remember Master Kung and his Foo dogs being an issue but I had to go from level 2 to 4 to beat them. Reckon that I could have done it at 2 with more healing items and some holy water. I don't think you can buy holy water that early in the game, but it's great as an offensive item in battles early game as it does a fair bit of damage. Anyhow, I'm heading on to the next town with the impostor.

Oh, yeah, when does the tactics menu unlock in the DS version? I'm so used to using tactics for most battles in DQ that it's a little annoying having to go through commands individually.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Played a bit more of DQ4 this weekend. I don't remember Master Kung and his Foo dogs being an issue but I had to go from level 2 to 4 to beat them. Reckon that I could have done it at 2 with more healing items and some holy water. I don't think you can buy holy water that early in the game, but it's great as an offensive item in battles early game as it does a fair bit of damage. Anyhow, I'm heading on to the next town with the impostor.

Oh, yeah, when does the tactics menu unlock in the DS version? I'm so used to using tactics for most battles in DQ that it's a little annoying having to go through commands individually.
I'm pretty sure you only get the tactics menu after you start playing as the Hero.

h8bit

Oct 26, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Enjoying DQV a lot for it's writing and where it places itself within the trilogy's universe. One thing I didn't expect to dislike was the constant dropping in and out of party members and the focus on having monsters fill the gaps. I understand the narrative reason for why it happens but it's still a little off putting is all.

h8bit

Oct 26, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Having a very hard time finishing DQV. After seeing so many folks praise it, I am a little surprised at how much I don't like it compared to IV or VIII. I think the constant switching in and out of main characters and the reliance on the monster catching aspect is my main gripe. Story is good for sure but I think I'm gonna put this down for now.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Having a very hard time finishing DQV. After seeing so many folks praise it, I am a little surprised at how much I don't like it compared to IV or VIII. I think the constant switching in and out of main characters and the reliance on the monster catching aspect is my main gripe. Story is good for sure but I think I'm gonna put this down for now.
I pretty much ignored the human people when they came if I could because I had nice monsters heh.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Great to hear I'm not the only one who thinks it's overrated af. Great overall story, but the actual moment to moment gameplay is pretty bad.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
6 was better than I expected going in to it based on impressions I had heard. That one had a really interesting world to explore.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
6's story isn't as good as 5's (though not many are), but I found it more playable. But honestly I consider it to be just good and not a standout in the series at all.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
5 has a story that propels it through the roof, but just an alright world
6 I remember having a wider variety of locales

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Maybe this isn't the best place to ask but with Builders 2 coming out in less than a week I have a few questions:

How life sim is it now? I've seen screenshots and some footage of what looks like farms and npcs walking around constructed villages. How much does farming and crops factor in?

Are npcs just for fleshing out imaginary play (just randomly walking with no dialogue?), or do they complete things around your properties (collecting grown food, tending to animals, etc.)?

I've seen the party system at play through the demo with battling and gathering, but is there depth to it? Can I have a spellcaster with me or a beast tamer?

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Where's the best place to grind for exp in the mobile DQ3, just pre-Baramos? I can get to him pretty easily now, but am nowhere near beating him.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
So I was looking through my Dragon Quest art book and yikes was this design actually used in any of the games? I can't remember.

yikes.png

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Where's the best place to grind for exp in the mobile DQ3, just pre-Baramos? I can get to him pretty easily now, but am nowhere near beating him.

Ehh I think near the temple where you can change your class appears a lot of metal slimes.

Edit: The wiki say you they appear in the tower above the temple. Honestly I can't remember very well :S

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
So I was looking through my Dragon Quest art book and yikes was this design actually used in any of the games? I can't remember.

yikes.png

Pretty sure this was part of the "unused monsters" part. As I understand they REMOVED this art from the Western version of the book. Really dodged a bullet there. It's bad enough people side-eyeing the series because of Sugiyama.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017

yikes.png
Pretty sure this was part of the "unused monsters" part. As I understand they REMOVED this art from the Western version of the book. Really dodged a bullet there. It's bad enough people side-eyeing the series because of Sugiyama.
I guess they obfuscated it a bit but it's not like they purged all the ooga-boogas.
latest

h8bit

Oct 26, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Imported a metal slime 2DS LL from Japan and it came bundled with DQXI. First off it's the best looking handheld/console i've ever owned and second, it's really nice being able to play every incarnation of this game. Planning to swap the motherboard out tomorrow with an english donor.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Imported a metal slime 2DS LL from Japan and it came bundled with DQXI. First off it's the best looking handheld/console i've ever owned and second, it's really nice being able to play every incarnation of this game. Planning to swap the motherboard out tomorrow with an english donor.
GOt any pictures?

I'm currently playing VI and I'm only like 8 hours in and I just stopped. Not sure why. Feels like it's dragging. Does it pick up?

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I have a question about DQ8 on Android:

Sorry for the bump, but did the Android version of DQ8 get updated for better performance like the iOS version did? Or was that update only released for Apple devices? I got the game on the Amazon App Store at some point, so I just downloaded it on my Pixel 3 XL, and it feels really bad to play.
Could someone who owns the game on Android through the Google Play Store check its performance for me briefly please? I'm curious to see if the Android version just never got updated at all, or if SE just never updated the Amazon App Store release of the game.

I have the game on 3DS as well, and I know many consider that to be the best way to play, but my phone would be a lot more convenient. However, I'll just play there if there's no way for me to play it decently on my phone.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Anybody have any idea how to patch the orchestral soundtracks for VII and VIII for 3ds? I have two hacked 3DS'. My google fu is failing me. lol

Deleted member 4375

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished DQ4 on my phone. As in finished the new Chapter 6 that was added in the remakes. Still such a fantastic game and it amazes me how ahead of it's time it really was, especially for us English speakers. The ending is always bittersweet to me outside of it's actual contents for the simple reason that I had to wait EIGHT years before we got anything else DQ related in english. (DQM on the GB in 2000)

On to DQV now. I loved it back on the DS, so it'll be great to finally revisit this one again. Such a great game.

Deleted member 4375

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have fun! When the time comes, I picked Deborah and didn't look back, she's hilarious, and super strong as well!

Thanks! I will for sure enjoy it. Probably going to go for Nera this time around as I did Bianca the original playthrough back in 09 or so whenever it came here. Deborah is certainly another good option though... The kids probably end up like monsters in terms of physical attacks, I'd imagine hehe

Edit: They actually have the music working properly in this. Instead of restarting after every fight like it did in the mobile version of 4, it plays through the entire song like it is supposed to. Nice.

Last edited: