• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

h8bit

Oct 26, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
A couple hours into VI, really enjoying it. I'm trying to utilize the party chat feature more in this game. Excited for the job stuff to pop up eventually

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Man, I love VI, it's got a good opening flow, Carver is a total bro, and the story goes into some interesting directions, not to mention the main element of the story being freaking crazy and interesting!

Hope you have fun!

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Do the tecent english dragon quest artbooks include marcello in them? One old edition i have doesnt feature him.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Has anyone here read the Dragon Quest Monsters+ manga? I just happened to see it while browsing Amazon and decided to impulse buy the first volume. I'm a huge Dragon Quest Monsters fan and it's full of nods to the series. It's basically a sequel to Terry's adventures in Great Tree. It's pretty cute and fun so far.

Last edited:

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I love VI, it's got a good opening flow, Carver is a total bro, and the story goes into some interesting directions, not to mention the main element of the story being freaking crazy and interesting!

Hope you have fun!
Oh my god, when does it pick up? I'm like 12 hours in and it's a slog. :( first DQ game to make me feel this way.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I just remembered that we were supposedly going to get details on the new Dragon Quest Monsters game starring Erik and Mia during the DQ Summer Festival event on the 3rd. Did anything come of that? I just skimmed really quickly through the 10 hour stream on YouTube and only saw stuff for XI S, the card game on Switch, the new expansion for X, and some Builders 2 stuff. I am super excited for the new DQM game so I was hoping for some more details by now, given the game was announced almost a year ago...

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just remembered that we were supposedly going to get details on the new Dragon Quest Monsters game starring Erik and Mia during the DQ Summer Festival event on the 3rd. Did anything come of that? I just skimmed really quickly through the 10 hour stream on YouTube and only saw stuff for XI S, the card game on Switch, the new expansion for X, and some Builders 2 stuff. I am super excited for the new DQM game so I was hoping for some more details by now, given the game was announced almost a year ago...
I think they only teased we'd get "Erik-related news" so we all assumed it was going to be a proper reveal of the new DQM, but all they showed was more DQ11S... Which had a new Erik outfit in-between, so I guess that was it :(

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I think they only teased we'd get "Erik-related news" so we all assumed it was going to be a proper reveal of the new DQM, but all they showed was more DQ11S... Which had a new Erik outfit in-between, so I guess that was it :(
...Oh. :/ That guest art of Erik in his new outfit was hideous, to add insult to injury.

Deleted member 4375

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So in my replay of DQ5 (On my phone this time) for the 2nd time ever since I bought the DS version in 2009, I've come to remember how much I absolutely despise Ladja. I can't say that about many villains from DQ games but fans familiar with 5 likely know why I feel this way.

I've made it to Fortuna and played the first T n T track. I'm slowly remembering stuff from my original playthrough, and it's *such* a good way of storytelling that actually surpasses their previous best with DQ4.

I'm also still blown away that this is basically a game from 1992 minus the visual and audio upgrades. The method of storytelling is something that no other game I feel has done to the same level of success. I feel say... Phantasy Star 3 attempted it to some degree but the results were not even close in comparison.

I used to long over pics of this game back in old EGM magazines and lament it's lack of english version, and had basically given up on ever playing it in English ever.

And now I've got the first 6 DQ games all on my phone, available for me to play essentially at all times. It's amazing when I think on it.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
So in my replay of DQ5 (On my phone this time) for the 2nd time ever since I bought the DS version in 2009, I've come to remember how much I absolutely despise Ladja. I can't say that about many villains from DQ games but fans familiar with 5 likely know why I feel this way.

I've made it to Fortuna and played the first T n T track. I'm slowly remembering stuff from my original playthrough, and it's *such* a good way of storytelling that actually surpasses their previous best with DQ4.

I'm also still blown away that this is basically a game from 1992 minus the visual and audio upgrades. The method of storytelling is something that no other game I feel has done to the same level of success. I feel say... Phantasy Star 3 attempted it to some degree but the results were not even close in comparison.

I used to long over pics of this game back in old EGM magazines and lament it's lack of english version, and had basically given up on ever playing it in English ever.

And now I've got the first 6 DQ games all on my phone, available for me to play essentially at all times. It's amazing when I think on it.
Hearing that V ALLLLLMOST came out as Dragon Warrior V really stings. It could've been a real generation defining classic for the West like a lot of other 16 bit RPGs.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I tried (again) the demo of Dragon Quest Heroes 2 and I remember why I deleted it some months ago: it's so ugly lmao I mean the character designs are fine, but the environment is soooo bland. I hope if there's a sequel it improves in that area, and keep Maribel, Alena and Kyril as playable characters.

h8bit

Oct 26, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
GOt any pictures?

I'm currently playing VI and I'm only like 8 hours in and I just stopped. Not sure why. Feels like it's dragging. Does it pick up?

Totally missed this, sorry! Posted some pictures below. It's absolutely gorgeous, easily my favorite system I own. I even found someone to take care of region unlocking it so I can use it as my everyday 3DS system.

I sincerely hope someone makes a translation patch for DQXI for 3DS once the switch version is out - I think it'd be so neat to play through this version all the way through.

FsR6iBS.png

t30HSZq.png

uMSVFnR.png

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Totally missed this, sorry! Posted some pictures below. It's absolutely gorgeous, easily my favorite system I own. I even found someone to take care of region unlocking it so I can use it as my everyday 3DS system.

I sincerely hope someone makes a translation patch for DQXI for 3DS once the switch version is out - I think it'd be so neat to play through this version all the way through.

FsR6iBS.png

t30HSZq.png

uMSVFnR.png
That is awesome. How much did it end up costing you, if you don't mind my asking? And how hard was it to swap everything out?

h8bit

Oct 26, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
That is awesome. How much did it end up costing you, if you don't mind my asking? And how hard was it to swap everything out?

All in all it was around $400 I think? But he took care of buying it + the micro sd in addition to installing cfw to unlock it + install all the fixins'. Totally worth it imo. I've tried to do a motherboard swap before and it's definitely easy to mess up (i did lol).

If you're curious i'd definitely check out pokedit. Really helpful dude and very communicative!

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
As a long time fan, The series has been on my mind lately
Been playing Dragon quest Builders 2 and it's like crack

And now I'm planning to get this next month

A new Switch unit
DQ XI (I finished the PS4 version last year)
New 2ds XL (I gave away my old 3ds)
DQ VIII

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
I'm excited for gamescom 2019 in a couple of days since we'll not only get more gameplay, but hopefully more information about Dragon Quest XI S. This year is the best year to be a Dragon Quest fan.

h8bit

Oct 26, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Oof finally beat murdaw last night in DQVI - definitely took a few tries. Excited for the game to open up a bit so I can explore jobs/classes!

I'm excited for gamescom 2019 in a couple of days since we'll not only get more gameplay, but hopefully more information about Dragon Quest XI S. This year is the best year to be a Dragon Quest fan.

It's so exciting. May or may not have started a DQ shelf of games/artbooks/console exclusive/imports...

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
I'm currently playing through DQV and the Coburg key section. I finally had to look up what to do next. Not a fan of the game giving you zero indication of who I was supposed to talk to and where.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Finished Slime Morimori 3 with the fan translation. I did every side quest and everything else besides the final 20 battle gauntlet which I might do later. Great game. I've beaten the trilogy, and while I like the greater freedom to customize your ship in 3 (IIRC 2 only allowed you to use other tanks in multiplayer mode), I think 2 is the better game overall. The tank sprites in 2 have so much more charm, and the overworld in 3 didn't add anything and just slowed the game down. I loved growing my town in 2 and walking through it and exploring new places and talking to people, but that is almost completely missing from 3. 3 is the most mechanically robust, but might be the least charming of the trilogy.

Still, it's a great game and a lot of fun and I highly recommend it. And it's a better game than 1 just by virtue of the great ship combat. But 2 is a tighter, more charming experience.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
VII is on sale for the 3DS. My only DQ experience is the demo for XI which I liked a lot. Is VII worthwhile for a newbie?

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
VII is on sale for the 3DS. My only DQ experience is the demo for XI which I liked a lot. Is VII worthwhile for a newbie?
You might be better off with VIII coming off XI for now, VII is a lot of game to take on. It is good though. It's broken down into a lot of little short stories, which seems to be a divisive point for some people who might be looking for something more traditional.

You really can't go wrong with any DQ though, except 2 maybe (I like 2 but it's kind of the black sheep)

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
You might be better off with VIII coming off XI for now, VII is a lot of game to take on. It is good though. It's broken down into a lot of little short stories, which seems to be a divisive point for some people who might be looking for something more traditional.

You really can't go wrong with any DQ though, except 2 maybe (I like 2 but it's kind of the black sheep)

I actually have VIII lol, I got it on sale on the 3DS eShop a little while back. (my 64GB SD card came in handy)

Apenheul

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I didn't consider myself a Dragon Quest fan but I just realized that the only (mainline) games I haven't played are III, VII and X. And I played both Builders games, Swords and that tank battle game. So yeah, guess I'm a fan after all.

Yesterday I finished Dragon Quest Builders 2 and right now that's probably my favorite Dragon Quest game, that or maybe still V.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't consider myself a Dragon Quest fan but I just realized that the only (mainline) games I haven't played are III, VII and X. And I played both Builders games, Swords and that tank battle game. So yeah, guess I'm a fan after all.

Yesterday I finished Dragon Quest Builders 2 and right now that's probably my favorite Dragon Quest game, that or maybe still V.
3 is one of the best. Get on that asap.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I picked up Dragon Quest Heroes 2 after two years (sigh where does the time go) and got the final boss... wtf is this shit?
His second form does this move where he grabs your MC and drains huge amount of HP. His weak point is exposed and I attack it as best I can but it doesn't do anything, he does this massive AOE that kills everyone but MC who's left with next to no HP.

This really soured me on the whole game. I tried twice and of course you have to fight the first part over as well.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are all enemies in DQXI so cutesy? Kind of putting me off buying this to be honest, just got a few hours into the demo and that's my main negative point so far.

I haven't played previous entries in the series but I'm guessing that's the norm?

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Are all enemies in DQXI so cutesy? Kind of putting me off buying this to be honest, just got a few hours into the demo and that's my main negative point so far.

I haven't played previous entries in the series but I'm guessing that's the norm?
what's wrong, you don't like slaughtering 30-50 feral sham hatwitches?

97ebb16dce39c1139b1454cf004c14e8.gif

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

but they're all so cute and fluffy :3 most of the design are true classics having existed from the first game with new additions every installment

Perona

Oct 31, 2017
So I'm playing DQX and I think it might be my favorite Dragon Quest game so far (played everything except 11). It really feels like they made a DQ game with MMO stuff instead of a typical MMO with a DQ skin and I love it for that reason. It's like they made a way better DQ9. It can even be played completely solo.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm playing DQX and I think it might be my favorite Dragon Quest game so far (played everything except 11). It really feels like they made a DQ game with MMO stuff instead of a typical MMO with a DQ skin and I love it for that reason. It's like they made a way better DQ9. It can even be played completely solo.
Sooooo wish it got localized. :(

theMrCravens

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Quest Walk launches next week.
I'm sure it'll require VPN unfortunately.

Although would collecting quests even work outside Japan landmarks ?

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you've played the Dragon Quest XI S demo, you can retrieve the Tockles spirit on Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

1589296271_TocklesNowAvailable.jpg.f01f7bb5c7cba18c9f9cc4ed6a8d4cb6.jpg
I can't believe it took them showing up in Smash to learn what these little guys are called lol. Don't thing I ever saw their name in DQ11 and yes I completed it.