• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe it took them showing up in Smash to learn what these little guys are called lol. Don't thing I ever saw their name in DQ11 and yes I completed it.
I didn't know either. I just found this:

8VaXyCc.jpg

Source: https://liquidmetalslime.tumblr.com/post/185524669409

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
So I'm playing DQX and I think it might be my favorite Dragon Quest game so far (played everything except 11). It really feels like they made a DQ game with MMO stuff instead of a typical MMO with a DQ skin and I love it for that reason. It's like they made a way better DQ9. It can even be played completely solo.

It is fantastic. It's a thousand DQ vignettes in one game. I have such good memories of DQ10. But I fell off the progression somewhere around 2.5 or so. I've read synopses of the main storylines, it's good stuff. I'd hope to come back to it someday. I think the lack of localization was a case of bad timing,, there were English names for locations and characters floating around a few years back, but seemingly, plans never panned out for the game. It's a pity. Maybe they'll remake it someday and people can give it a go.

Perona

Oct 31, 2017
It is fantastic. It's a thousand DQ vignettes in one game. I have such good memories of DQ10. But I fell off the progression somewhere around 2.5 or so. I've read synopses of the main storylines, it's good stuff. I'd hope to come back to it someday. I think the lack of localization was a case of bad timing,, there were English names for locations and characters floating around a few years back, but seemingly, plans never panned out for the game. It's a pity. Maybe they'll remake it someday and people can give it a go.
I just bought the switch version of 1-4 to play after I finish the trial (which lets you go up to level 80 and do version 2 stuff). I recently found out that there are monster tamer classes that let you dress up the monsters. I've been gushing about this game since I started playing it and I'm super addicted to it. I can understand a fair bit of Japanese so I've been able to follow the story and do quests and stuff pretty easily so far but I still want this to be localized so that I can fully experience it.

Sinople

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah DQX is great overall. I'm in the middle of Version 3 and I think it's my favorite expansion as of now, though my subscription is coming to an end and I'll take a break for a little while.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
I don't remember Tockles ever being called Tockles in the PS4 version last year. Is this something new with the XI S localization?

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I did absolutely everything in DQ XI on PS4 and I don't know if I ever realized those guys are called Tockles. It's a pretty good name for the little guys.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
I saw an article on Nintendo Soup about a job listing for the next Dragon Quest. Talks about looking for action planners for battle scenes.

My reading of the article didn't convince me that the next game will have an action combat system, more that they're looking for people to make the games feel more dynamic with battle effects, angles, etc. I think Nintendo Soup is kinda sketchy, they seem to take a scattershot approach to news there can sometimes be some logical leaps.

I don't think that main DQ games will ever have an action combat system.

On that note, where's Heroes 3?

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I saw an article on Nintendo Soup about a job listing for the next Dragon Quest. Talks about looking for action planners for battle scenes.

My reading of the article didn't convince me that the next game will have an action combat system, more that they're looking for people to make the games feel more dynamic with battle effects, angles, etc. I think Nintendo Soup is kinda sketchy, they seem to take a scattershot approach to news there can sometimes be some logical leaps.

I don't think that main DQ games will ever have an action combat system.

On that note, where's Heroes 3?
sounds like a typical nintendo focused publication

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I finally unlocked the Abbey in DQVII (3DS).

Is there any point in really turning Maribel into anything other than a spell caster? I wanted her to be a warrior but if she can't even equip the right armor and weapons for it to help boost her meager stats, whats the point?

Seems like the system is designed to reward you for sticking to character archetypes rather than experimentation. Wanted the hero as a priest to get him that fancy pope hat but it seems kind of like a waste with how much of a heavy hitter he's been so far.

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you have a link to where you can read more about it? I'm really interested in it and bummed I can't play it. Maybe I'll try fumbling through it with my limited Japanese someday lol

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
I was able to play a little of DQ Walk this morning. You can place a daily quest anywhere on the map and walk to that, but, the world is barren here in Ireland, there are no monsters or other landmarks. So the game is region locked in the sense that all the good stuff is in Japan. The character creator is nice though, characters have a nice clean look.

Do you have a link to where you can read more about it? I'm really interested in it and bummed I can't play it. Maybe I'll try fumbling through it with my limited Japanese someday lol

There are a few Let's Plays out there. Saigancat did one for a long time as did Cranberry over on the Dragon's Den forum. I'd also recommend checking out Alex Fraioli's X in 10 podcast, it's a fun and funny overview of the game and some of the major quest lines. I make a cameo in one of the episodes too!

Last edited:

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Man, vocations in DQVII (3DS) feel so much easier to grind than in DQ VI.

Hasn't been long since I unlocked the Abbey but I've already got Sage and Champion unlocked.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got a fourth party member in DQ VII again.

Man, this game just flows really weirdly compared to a lot of other games in the series.

Its not a bad game but I think this behemoth might end up being one of the lesser entries for me by the time I'm done.

Oct 27, 2017
Been slowly playing through DQV on mobile and really liking it. It does feel weirdly rare to recruit monsters which feels strange for it being one of the core features of the game. Guess I just need to really grind out some battles to get the random chance to trigger.

Also married Bianca because DUH

h8bit

Oct 26, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Been slowly playing through DQV on mobile and really liking it. It does feel weirdly rare to recruit monsters which feels strange for it being one of the core features of the game. Guess I just need to really grind out some battles to get the random chance to trigger.

Also married Bianca because DUH

I really wasn't a fan of the monster catching aspect. Didn't realize it was such a big part of the game until i was pretty far in

Oct 25, 2017
I remember my last DQV playthrough trying to get a King Cureslime and it took a long time. I think I used it for Kazing only once or twice after watching a movie while grinding for it.

Perona

Oct 31, 2017
Just made it to the first expansion of DQX and met this NPC, and I'm sad that player characters don't have access to this skin color
zzzUGov.png

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Kills me that DQ X might be the one game in the series I'll never get my hands on.

Hey, weirder things have happened tho. PSO2 somehow managed to find its way over here a thousand years after release.

Seen one of the series producers say they like the idea of releasing an offline version overseas some day, how soloable is X anyway?

Perona

Oct 31, 2017
Did they ever add other races to play as? Like the Dragon People or the upcoming Demon guys?
Yeah, dragon race was included in version 3 (the second expansion) but the trial only includes up to version 2 so I can't access it atm. idk about demon guys though.

Kills me that DQ X might be the one game in the series I'll never get my hands on.

Hey, weirder things have happened tho. PSO2 somehow managed to find its way over here a thousand years after release.

Seen one of the series producers say they like the idea of releasing an offline version overseas some day, how soloable is X anyway?

I have played DQX completely solo. You can hire NPCs (that are other players characters) from the pubs. You pretty much don't have to interact with other people to do anything in the game. It's basically an actual dragon quest game with optional MMO elements if you wanna play multiplayer.
I'm really glad they at least got rid of the region lock (for the US) because it means I can eventually play the switch version without having to worry about VPN stuff.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
DQ XI demo feels good in handheld mode.

Haven't played it much up until today but today I have almost come to the end of it.

Don't want to grind too hard but I do want to mess around with four party members once I get to that point though.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking about jumping right into XI S after getting done with VII but been thinking about DQ Builders 2 more and more lately.

The first game was a magical experience adding that sort of fulfilling campaign I always wanted in games like that. Had so much fun building those little towns and forts back up.

Oct 25, 2017
Holy mackerel when did DQIX get so expensive.

Been kicking around the idea for a while of getting a second copy to use as a replay the game copy and keep my main copy as my completed save file to mess around with whatever copy (lol one save file) but damn. Amazon Warehouse Deals wants $38+ for what will be cart only.

Think I am going to wait until my local secondhand store gets one in for ~$25 or so.

My next order of business, hopefully soon enough, is to actually finish the rest of the games in the main series. Still need to play VI and VIII. Think after XI that VIII is up next. Might wait on VI to see if they are going to do more ports to the Switch. I'd be willing to start VI over to play it on Switch instead of my 3DS :)

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
You can just straight up steal an NPC's monsters in Joker in the middle of battle. Amazing.

This game is this world's Team Rocket origin story.

Last edited:

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. Dragon Quest III doesn't have monster animations in the Switch version. Was hoping they'd add it back but not surprising. :(

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the Switch DQ1. The gameplay is just so good that when playing it, the art style change doesn't matter to me at all. And it normally does, with the Final Fantasy mobile port graphics putting me off those versions entirely.

The sense of progression is perfect from enemies posing a very real threat, to becoming easier and then being able to fight even harder enemies. It holds up so well today, in part from the simplicity of its gameplay. No extra party members to manage. No selecting enemies to attack. It's just one-on-one with an enemy that can destroy you.

Oct 25, 2017
I bought 1-3 and XI S is out for delivery

I played DQ1 to about level 3 or 4. After playing the SNES version a few months ago I forgot how fast you level in this game

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Sorry, I don't intend to be a downer, but this is a game some of us have been paying ¥12000+ a year in service fees, and bought the 3 (soon to be 4) expansion packs which also cost about ¥3800, that is in addition to the original game. I don't think it really makes sense to go and translate all that for a $60 one time purchase in the West when many in Japan have paid almost 20 times that, although it is usually the case that we have to pay more than you guys, it's unlikely to be this extreme of difference.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Sorry, I don't intend to be a downer, but this is a game some of us have been paying ¥12000+ a year in service fees, and bought the 3 (soon to be 4) expansion packs which also cost about ¥3800, that is in addition to the original game. I don't think it really makes sense to go and translate all that for a $60 one time purchase in the West when many in Japan have paid almost 20 times that, although it is usually the case that we have to pay more than you guys, it's unlikely to be this extreme of difference.
Different markets demand different payment models. I get what you're saying, but a subscription-based DQ isn't going to fly in the west, and from SE's perspective, they could either not localize it and gain (and lose) nothing, or they could package it in a way they find suitable and make something off it in a new market. Whether it makes sense from the perspective of a heavily invested player in Japan doesn't have much bearing on what could happen IMO.

For what it's worth, I was picturing them trimming it down to as much of a linear DQ experience as they could. Expecting years of multiplayer content does seem unrealistic.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The characters level too fast in DQ2 (for Switch)

My hero was level 7 when he found his first cousin lol The graphics could be nicer but it feel nice play it again, I need check again the SNES version and compare the QoL stuff added to the Switch version.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I could ever probably describe how special the Builders games feel sometimes.

There are moments in these games where I'm so drawn into it. The moment in DQ B1

Where you gain the ability to turn large masses of land green in the final chapter and Adventure starts playing on the map...its sooo good.

Or in DQ B2

When the furrowfield villagers start to rebuild the tree on their own

These are games about tiny cute looking silly (well...sillier) versions of dragon quest worlds while also displaying a surprising sense of desolation and despair (especially in the first game which is basically a post apocalyptic sequel to DQ1) but the stories and characters resonate with me in a way a lot of other games don't. Building these small communities and getting invested in their ridiculous personalities and struggles, its something.

The writing and the gameplay work together extremely well in this series in feeding off each other's momentum.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Does anybody have any skill point suggestions for the characters in Dragon Quest VIII? I'm trying not to fuck up my characters or go a route that doesn't work for the characters in question. Any one have any suggestions?

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Almost done with Joker and sad to say I think I'm going to hold off on playing Joker 2?

DQ Monsters Joker just feels kind of incredibly directionless and empty. Theres not really much in the way of interesting characters or battles to keep you hooked, you're just kind of meandering around for crystals and grinding.

Does Joker 2 or 3 improve on this or is it basically more of the same? Its a bummer since I like the idea of the series (DQ has incredibly charming monsters) and I'm a big fan of the monster taming genre but this one just isn't doing it for me. Not really feeling motivated to progress much.