• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rappy

Oct 28, 2017
No need to wish death on him: being 87 years old with shitty ideas and the world going forward without he and his turdpinions is fine too. This guy probably knows he is retrograde as fuck, and he can't do shit about that. He's going to die and if he's lucky people will forget the shit and remember the music, but no one will look back and think "yeah he was cool".

By the way, looks like he won't also be celebrated on his way out here.
I'm willing to bet he will be celebrated on his way out here to those who are ignorant to the issues or just really enjoy the music. Can't say there's anything I could celebrate about him or his music. Never played a DQ game and while initially being hyped for XI, after watching a gameplay/story trailer I became hard OUT on the game because the music/how it was implemented.
How come it's agains It's the rules? Is it quoting from an outside forum?
It's bring up past users' posts in not necessarily relevant/related topics, but maybe I'm wrong and it's only outside forums that's an issue. And as you can see to the type of responses it got, it doesn't do much for discussion. But oh well, I'm not a mod so maybe it's fine depending on the case

Last edited:

Omeganex9999

Oct 25, 2017
London
is this not a big deal in japan to be openly anti-lgbt? SE should definitely cut ties with him and stop their working relationship. this is unacceptable.

It's complicated, some (homophobic/racist) views are definitely more tolerated compared to other countries but you don't get persecuted or killed for it.
I think it's pretty unusual to come out in Japan, so people act like there are no LGBT around and this makes it easier for grumpy-homophobic-san to say stuff like that.

Things are slowly changing, but it's a country ruled by old people so...

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, there's no such thing as that in Japan. Or Asia in general for that matter. You can be sure that this is not going to make a noise in the country.

But Japan is the country in Asia with more chances to accept LGBT people for a bit of reasons, which someday it'll happen.
It's complicated, some (homophobic/racist) views are definitely more tolerated compared to other countries but you don't get persecuted or killed for it.
I think it's pretty unusual to come out in Japan, so people act like there are no LGBT around and this makes it easier for grumpy-homophobic-san to say stuff like that.

Things are slowly changing, but it's a country ruled by old people so...
thanks for the info, i thought there was more openness about this in japan, but i get it, if the lgbt community is invisible to the majority then people get away with shitting on them more easily.

Ratrat

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
is this not a big deal in japan to be openly anti-lgbt? SE should definitely cut ties with him and stop their working relationship. this is unacceptable.
It's not a big deal. I think the only reason her words were controversial in Japan is the 'reproduction' part. I doubt that many people disagree with her stance on textbooks in schools.

max from rupaul's drag race
O, really? I hope she wins over that Violet chick.

Deleted member 42221

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
I cancelled my preorder because I don't want to support homophobia.

I didn't even know I had a Dragon Quest XI preorder. Guess it was one of those games I got in my mass preordering spree in 2017.

Nov 15, 2017
Towards the end they cite how their opponents mention how "LGBT make up 5-7% of the population so it's not insignificant" so then she apparently cites a study that finds that LGB only makes up about 1% of the population and the rest of them is T and since T is a mental illness it shouldn't be included with the other 3 and doesn't count. Nice... I mean, aside from being awful I'm curious on where that study is because it sounds so wrong.

Also is it just me or does the talk about how "its not 差別 it's 区別"(or it's not discrimination it's just differentiation) sound like something straight out of the American Segregation Era

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really surprises me that SE seems fine with it.

I don't, really. Even if there was no copyright thing related to Sugiyama where he owns the franchise along them, I doubt that something would be done. Those type of things still aren't motive for such things to happen in japan. In it's actual state there's no law against it and no backlash as well because those people are invisible. Of course, unlike many countries, those people aren't killed, persecuted or anything like that but Japan has it's own problem regarding this in a different way.

thanks for the info, i thought there was more openness about this in japan, but i get it, if the lgbt community is invisible to the majority then people get away with shitting on them more easily.

I recommend you to watch a documentary from Ellen Page in which she goes to Japan. It's very interesting but I don't remember the name, sorry.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i was excited for the switch version of 11 (if that ever comes out) but i don't think i can give money to SE for it since this guy is such an integral part of DQ and SE continues to work with him.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't, really. Even if there was no copyright thing related to Sugiyama where he owns the franchise along them, I doubt that something would be done. Those type of things still aren't motive for such things to happen in japan. In it's actual state there's no law against it and no backlash as well because those people are invisible. Of course, unlike many countries, those people aren't killed, persecuted or anything like that but Japan has it's own problem regarding this in a different way.

I recommend you to watch a documentary from Ellen Page in which she goes to Japan. It's very interesting but I don't remember the name, sorry.

Gaycation?

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
Towards the end they cite how their opponents mention how "LGBT make up 5-7% of the population so it's not insignificant" so then she apparently cites a study that finds that LGB only makes up about 1% of the population and the rest of them is T and since T is a mental illness it shouldn't be included with the other 3 and doesn't count. Nice... I mean, aside from being awful I'm curious on where that study is because it sounds so wrong.

Also is it just me or does the talk about how "its not 差別 it's 区別"(or it's not discrimination it's just differentiation) sound like something straight out of the American Segregation Era
To piggyback off this, (since she made a distinction for T) I'd like to remind everyone that in Japan, in order for a trans person to be recognized as their preferred gender by the state, one of the steps required is to get sterilized and another is to get diagnosed with Gender Identity Disorder (hence the "mental illness" in her comment).

This is in addition to Japan not allowing same-sex marriage.

Ratrat

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm kind of curious to watch the whole interview, but those few minutes made my blood boil so much, I don't think I would survive the whole thing.

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes.
I mean, he was kind of the worst anyway, so it's not like this really changes my opinion of him (if anything I'd be surprised if this wasn't the case), but the sooner they finally replace him the better. Especially if they want to build a fanbase in the west.

... That being said, this probably isn't happening any time soon.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
He's just pathetic, Japan don't need people like this. These fanatical nationalists will blindly support their glorious flag and commit horrible crimes in the name of it no matter the situation, this blind loyalty to the nation and it's government are the biggest problems of us Asians, we are simply too proud of our own nation and race. Japanese, Korean and Chinese are all like this and It has brought us nothing but conflicts and hatred.

Last edited:

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
If DQ sold well enough in the west to justify it I would suggest they should just go full Sonic CD and make a brand new soundtrack for the game.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This depends on how barbaric his thoughts or mentality is. There are people that make life hell for millions of others based on things that really shouldn't matter.

I say it's fair to judge people based on dangerous mentalities. The world would be a better place is many of them went away (or changed their way of thinking).

You mean like the trade war the biggest man in the US started. Or the shit he talked about mexicans. Or that to this day nobody talked about how shit it was to use a nuclear bomb.

Wishing this man death is too extreme.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I'd rather have this man just disappearing from public life and living his life in his own narrowminded bubble not bothering anyone with his awful opinions.
It's not just opinions though, right?

This guy as far as I can tell is a lobbyist for repressing LGBT? Or least that's the sense I get from this story given his 'viewpoint' on Nanking massacre.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I'm just glad most young people in Japan aren't like this, unlike the old ones they are not slaves of nationalism and national pride, they know better.

Yoshi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It's unfortunate, yet not really surprising. As per usual, it does not influence my buying decision, but his societal / political / hostorical views are outrageous. He even is a political activist right?

I am appaled by people openly calling for his death here though, that's terrible as well.

YuriCloud3

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I love his music. He can be an ass. But I want his music on a new dragon quest. I like to separate the artist from his work. I love Michael Jackson music. And don't like him as a person for example. Everybody has flaws. Look at James guun. I love guardians of the galaxy. But the guy is nuts

Zaeia

Jan 3, 2018

My jaw literally dropped at that point. It made me upset but also scared me because of how they treat other marginalized groups ( lifetime Chinese/korean/etc non-citizen residents ineligible for koseki). It's like if she could she would put all LGB people on a registry, as is basically the case for Trans+ persons because of the nature of obtaining transition assistance.

But alas, they did not do so with Dragon Quest XI.

Wow I didn't know it was this bad, WTH! He has to request that the synth sound as non-orchestral as possible as to sell more CDs. That's the only reason it could sound that bad beyond nostalgia.

Last edited:

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo

Proving something never happened is in general kind of difficult. I can't recall an apology, and Truman's stance was he does not regret it and would do it again. However Obama visiting definitely was viewed as good will though.

Of course teams that win don't ever have to apologize if they don't want too. It's sort of a rule.

Last edited:

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
James Gunn does not compare. He told shit edgy jokes, not the same thing.

It's not a minor character quirk to support repression of people

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Or that to this day nobody talked about how shit it was to use a nuclear bomb.

I am not defending the use of those two bombs but let's not forget that Japan was about to unleash biological weapon created by the Unit 731 on the US west coast if it weren't for the nukes.

''Operation Cherry Blossoms at Night'' (夜桜作戦) was scheduled to begin on September 22, 1945, just a month after the nukes dropped.

Both Japan and US were planning to do horrible shit to each other, so let's not bring out that ''Poor Japan, the Americans should be ashamed'' argument, Japan was determined to destroy the US, in fact it was willing to sacrifice all of its population just to cripple America, that's how desperate they were.

EDIT: I'm not American btw.

Last edited:

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Clov Mauricio_Magus You guys are great, Astolfo avatar people on this site have all had the best posts so far <3

I'd know I was the first.

To people getting "outraged" about other people hoping he dies of old age, this is literally the only way DQ will ever be free of him. To the people pulling the stupid both sides argument stop doing this dumb gamerbro thing.

ShinySunny

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I love his music. He can be an ass. But I want his music on a new dragon quest. I like to separate the artist from his work. I love Michael Jackson music. And don't like him as a person for example. Everybody has flaws. Look at James guun. I love guardians of the galaxy. But the guy is nuts

He uses his music as a way to fund his racist and anti-gay political group.

Buying his stuff is almost 1:1 to donating to a hate group.

ryechu

Oct 25, 2017
Japan was let off too easy after the war. And due to this, today, school kids in Japan largely not being taught about the extent of war crimes and war casualties. Local records of said crimes were allowed to be destroyed. Data obtained from torture camps were bought by American scientists. Perpetrators equivalent to Mengele were completely pardoned. Probably 10million Chinese casualties, and Japanese students are not taught about Nanking, and textbooks instead focus on Hiroshima and Nagasaki and how it signifies the importance of peace. I mean, sure, but the more convincing evidence for "importance of peace" is the totality of WW2 history.

The fact that deniers like Sugiyama are common Japan is proof that facing history honestly is better than cherry picking and sanitizing it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.