• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
As a joke or in a respectful way?

a poster earlier said there was an effeminate male, but that their sexual orientation was never implied in the game. I mean, I haven't played the game but yeah.

It's a bit complicated, because it's an "okama" character, where the distinction between "gay" and "transgender" isn't really distinct (Japanese culture), but the game wants you to take him seriously, and his story involves his family coming to accept him for who he is. He's a silly character, but he's not a punchline.

I haven't played the post game yet, though.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Also it is impossible to separate the art and the artist completely.
He reflects on his work and vice/versa.
That I agree.

The best artists in the history are not know to follow the right path.

But that doesn't make comments like "SE need to fire him", "I won't support their games", etc... Square Enix and you are buying his works... not his life.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
That I agree.

The best artists in the history are not know to follow the right path.

But that doesn't make comments like "SE need to fire him", "I won't support their games", etc... Square Enix and you are buying his works... not his life.
Its not hard to understand.

You give money to Square > Square gives money to Sugiyama > Sugiyama funnels money into racism/bigotry and war crime denying.

Its a bad businees. And the fault lies with Square for not cutting ties with this monster years ago.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Some people in here lol.
"Homophobia is just an opinion, man"
"I'm anti gay, am I a piece of shit now? lulululu"

Smh.

I stick with ERA because of how good they are with the LGBT community and in general banning terrible people like the one that posted earlier in this thread.

Also anyone with an Astolfo avatar is cool. :p
I don't have an Astolfo avatar but yes, yes they are.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Quickly someone make Dragon Quest gay so he won't make music for it anymore.

Deleted member 15933

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got some receipts? Because that's some 1970's era thinking.

Tsuyoshi Hasegawa's book Racing the Enemy: Stalin, Truman, and the Surrender of Japan is probably the most definitive word on the matter to date (published in 2005). He was born in Tokyo lived through the firebombings, and spent his career as a history professor in the United States where he specialized in the Cold War.

It covers the reality of surrender from a more holistic angle. The bombs aren't what really pushed Japan to surrender. How could they when firebombing couldn't and was every bit as catastrophic given the scope?

The entry of the Soviet Union pushed Japan to a point where surrender was inevitable. But at that point they were trying to find a way out of unconditional surrender. The first nuclear bomb weakened the resolve to hold out for conditions. The second ended it. The bombs weren't what made Japan surrender, they were what made Japan surrender unconditionally, immediately, without drawing out a war for months longer while they sought an exit that allowed concessions.

And in the end that was what needed to happen. Japan couldn't be given peace with conditions when the negotiating party was the military powers who had seized complete autonomy. It needed to be completely replaced, just like the Nazi regime in Germany needed to be completely replaced.

Unconditional surrender should be the terms with which we fight against wars built on the principle of ethnic cleansing as justification for expansionist military efforts.

The GENOCIDAL REGIME asked for peace terms with them keeping their conquered territories and the US said no! BAD US, BAD!

Basically, anyone saying that the US should have agreed to those terms is a racist who thinks Korean, Chinese, etc lives are meaningless. It would be like the Nazis demanding control of Germany, France, Poland, Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark, Czexh, etc etc .

The US did not care for the genocides in Asia and Europe until 1945 when their volume was discovered and documented. The fact that they ended them is a very happy side effect, but as far as I know, the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbour and that's the point where America entered the war. So, your argument that it was about reaching a conditionless surrender in order to stop the genocides cannot be the definitive answer.
Contributing factors for the deployment of the bomb were obviously showing off the weapon to the Soviets and being more cost effective than conventional bombs and soldiers. But the conditionless surrender of Japan was as inevitable as the one by Nazi Germany and was already approaching by the Soviet declaration of war. And this quote

"The entry of the Soviet Union pushed Japan to a point where surrender was inevitable. But at that point they were trying to find a way out of unconditional surrender. The first nuclear bomb weakened the resolve to hold out for conditions. The second ended it. The bombs weren't what made Japan surrender, they were what made Japan surrender unconditionally, immediately, without drawing out a war for months longer while they sought an exit that allowed concessions."

doesn't prove anything. It reads like a novel and doesn't provide any source.

To speak of the need for the Atomic bombs as a historical fact that cannot be put into question is laughable. You can be of this opinion, but it is far from consensus.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a bit complicated, because it's an "okama" character, where the distinction between "gay" and "transgender" isn't really distinct (Japanese culture), but the game wants you to take him seriously, and his story involves his family coming to accept him for who he is. He's a silly character, but he's not a punchline.

I haven't played the post game yet, though.

I understand what you mean, just not a fan of "character acts this way so they are gay".

I think I'll like the character, anyways.

Last edited:

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Quickly someone make Dragon Quest gay so he won't make music for it anymore.

maxresdefault.jpg

Ratrat

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well I don't think Taiwan is that different from other Asian country but hey I could be wrong.

One thing I'll agree is that the Japanese did threat us slightly better and there really weren't a lot of conflict during the colonization, in fact it was actually better than when our current government first came to Taiwan which is a goddamn nightmare (those who played Detention will know), but still, it doesn't stop us from despising the crimes Japanese committed in WWII. It always disturbs me to see my Japanese friends not feeling remotely sorry about WWII, they usually just shrug it off like ''Well It was a mess, I'll give you that''.
Well, maybe neither of us are in a position to say for sure. It was just my observation as say, China will always make films about Japanese WWII atrocities but then you hear stories about students dressing as nazi's. One is far removed enough for a lot of, maybe young people, that they don't take it as seriously.

Deleted member 39144

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Yeah, I'm out. As a gay man who has played and completed DQ IV, V, VI, VIII and IX, I can't bring myself to play another based on that video. Fuck him.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why SE work with him. Do you think there would be an outcry from fans? The music isn't even that good.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well between the midi fiasco and sugiyama being to put it lightly a huge piece of shit, I'm glad that there is one less game that I would buy in this overcrowded month of September

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I do not think age can excuse opinions like these.
My grandmother can be quite racist and does not like gay people. She's 90 years old, trying to change her at this point is something not even worth trying. If you grew up thinking something it can be hard to change those views. Believe me, we tried.

Nov 8, 2017
But the conditionless surrender of Japan was as inevitable as the one by Nazi Germany and was already approaching by the Soviet declaration of war.

The USSR declared war the same day the second bomb dropped. What you are arguing is broadly that "they would have surrendered without the bombs" which is true, but this consideration requires hindsight and does not take into account any timelines. They would have surrendered - but when?

There are two ways we could think about this:
  1. Did the people who decided to use the bomb have reason to believe that they were unnecessary for a surrender?
  2. Regardless of specific intentions, and using the benefit of hindsight, did the use of the bombs result in a net saving of life, or a net loss of life?

It was extremely non-obvious to the decision makers at the time that by August 10 the decision would have been made, and the US planners were not operating under the assumption that two atomic bombs specifically would cause a surrender. While it was hoped that it might be a transformative weapon that could bring an end to the war, whether this would really "work" or not was a complete unknown. Authorization was given for the Army Air Force to just continue dropping bombs as soon as they arrived (after the initial date of August 3 - delayed due to bad weather to August 6), and this was concurrent to the Army preparing for their ground invasion. This was also concurrent with knowledge of the imminent Soviet entry into the war (specifically negotiated by Roosevelt six months or so prior), and alongside the intensifying blockade of the Home Islands.

The expectation was that atomic bombings and ground invasion and soviet attacks in China and blockade may be required to achieve surrender, possibly some time in 1946. No chances were taken and every measure available was utilized in an attempt to end the war in the shortest timeframe and with a minimum of American casualties. While they were not assuming that they would immediately end the war, they equally had no reason to believe that they were "unneeded" or "unnecessary".

Completely unknowable. If they did officially surrender at the same time as in real life without the use of the bombs, then they resulted in many unnecessary deaths. If they expedited the surrender by a matter of weeks or months, then they probably saved lives in a net sense. That's a very cold and clinical way of considering the morality involved, but since this is so often used as a talking point it's necessary to mention it.

Gargantua

Banned
May 8, 2018
Being almost 50, for me it's more easy to understand what's in the mind of an 80 years old, because it's so clear: he lived in a different world with different rules and different "socially acceptable behaviors"
Of course some of his thoughts are out of time nowadays, some of them even despicable, but before condamning him I look at myself in 30 years and what I expect is not to be loved or appreciated by complete strangers that have nothing to share with me because they are 60 years younger and so different and fuck them all because they are noisy and like fucking unicorns and drink colored stuff and doesn't eat healthy like in the old times...

so yeah Sugiyama-San just shut the fuck up and I promise you'll die in peace I'm not here to judge you... just don't share my world like this, anymore, please...

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The dilemma I have about this series. Really all that can be said is fuck sugiyama. Im still getting this game because it's really just sugiyama that's the issue and all the other devs/ and localizers shouldn't be punished for one asshole who only makes music.

Ghost250

Mar 19, 2018
My grandmother can be quite racist and does not like gay people. She's 90 years old, trying to change her at this point is something not even worth trying. If you grew up thinking something it can be hard to change those views. Believe me, we tried.

You're not lying when old people are set in their ways, that's it, you can't change them for nothin. Tbh i'm not surprised by the views Koichi holds, he is old as hell, the guy is damn near 90.

Ratrat

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most of us probably have an older relative that we love in spite of their views. But there isn't any need to overlap that with a public figure who has power to actively affect people negatively.

Like, you would probably love your homophobic but otherwise nice 95-year old grandmother a little less if you found out that she was actively campaigning against basic lgbt rights.

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France
After hearing the DQ XI overworld theme for hours, you'll wish Square enix fired him.

DQ needs new blood.

Last edited:
OP
OP
duckroll

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Is your grandmother an active activist appearing on talk shows and paying for newspaper ads and editorials that further her views? Is she still making tons of money from contributing to a well loved and highly profitable entertainment franchise?

If not I don't see what the point is. Who cares if Sugiyama can't change? Everyone around him can by not giving him the time of the day. He's a fucking lowlife.

sharpforprez

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Downplaying homophobia and denial of war crimes. History of dismissing sensitive concerns.
The only people you're burning by choosing not to purchase DQ games are other DQ fans. It is not a crime to be ignorant, and his personal beliefs are of no matter. I get people want to give some kind of response to dickheadish behavior, but you look silly.

OP
OP
duckroll

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
The only people you're burning by choosing not to purchase DQ games are other DQ fans. It is not a crime to be ignorant, and his personal beliefs are of no matter. I get people want to give some kind of response to dickheadish behavior, but you look silly.
The only silly thing here is watching people to downplay Sugiyama as having bad opinions and being dickish, and then declaring the real problem is people who are sick of his actions and take action. Actually it's not silly, it's really entertaining. Please continue. :)

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China

His personal beliefs are funding war-crime denying propaganda. How is that of no matter, when he is influencing other people by the money he gets by S-E?

ShinySunny

Banned
Dec 15, 2017

Does your grandmother create a political hate group that tries to push out national and global policy?
This guy has immense power because people like SE and DQ fans keep donating their money to him.

Even after his death, his foundation will continue on due to royalty and licensing fee. I am 100% sure DQ fans will buy millions of his CDs to keep funding his foundation after his death.
His legacy of hatred will always live on.
Sad.
Just sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.