• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyklisten

Nov 12, 2017
Pretty upsetting. Never liked the guys work anyway. The music in DQ is probably its biggest flaw and always has been. His work is the definition of the "failed classical composer".

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
They kind of have to be by definition, right?

Maybe I didn't explain myself properly. My apologies. What I meant is that you can like one particular game in a franchise without being a fan of the entire franchise.

I think YS8 is fantastic but have not played any other YS games. A lot of gamers only Played DQ8 and still loved it. They are not necessarily fans of the entire franchise.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Yeah, because of one game now every japanese devs has to only appeal to the west.

btw, they did the same thing with RE7 and it didn't work. So nah, Dragon Quest is probably better off getting its 3~4M sales in Japan and just using western sales as a bonus.
What about RE7 didn't work...? It was critically acclaimed and is in the company's top ten best-selling games (#6 iirc) despite being a single player only horror title that was derided from day 1 with "Capcom can't do horror anymore" after RE6 dropped.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What about RE7 didn't work...? It was critically acclaimed and is in the company's top ten best-selling games (#6 iirc) despite being a single player only horror title that was derided from day 1 with "Capcom can't do horror anymore" after RE6 dropped.
It's still less than 5 or 6. Just appealing to western gamers doesn't mean every game will do better (even more when discussing Dragon Quest, that should fire Sugiyama anyway).

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
It's still less than 5 or 6. Just appealing to western gamers doesn't mean every game will do better (even more when discussing Dragon Quest, that should fire Sugiyama anyway).
A single-player horror game that's a year old did less than the two co-op action games from 2009 and 2012 and that have been rereleased upwards of four times, you don't say? :P The fact that 7 even comes close is phenomenal in and of itself.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Updating it here. It's more about Mio so I'm posting here with what the lgbtq community said about her statements if anyone wants to read
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...cian-sugita-discriminatory-statements/.134642

Going to nab this part:

Intersex manga creator Shō Arai told Anime News Network that climate towards the LGBTQ community in Japan will not change until society rethinks how it deals with hate speech, including on social media.

"There's nothing you can do about a private individual thinking bigoted thoughts, but there's a climate in which comments on forums like 2chan or Twitter that are visible to others are treated as "individual freedom." As long as backbiting and bigotry are included in "individual freedom," you're going to get people like this. It's not as if politicians or celebrities are a special case. Society as a whole needs to radically rethink slander, hate speech, and barbed remarks," Arai said.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
So ANN got Square Enix to actually release a statement about all this:

The views of an individual do not reflect the views nor efforts of the company. SQUARE ENIXemploys a global multicultural staff of various beliefs, sexual orientations and gender identities. As a matter of policy we do not condone discrimination or harassment of any kind and we respect the diversity of sexuality and gender identity of everyone around the world.

But of course

When asked, Square Enix declined to say whether or not it will continue its relationship with Sugiyama for future Dragon Quest installments.

Of course... Still it's something.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...t-composer-2015-anti-lgbtq-statements/.134974

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
User Banned (3 days): Bumping a thread with an unrelated drive-by. Prior history of drive-by infractions.
Gamers:

Listen to this awesome vintage sega genesis music!

Genesis: womp WOMMMMPPPP wah brang brang wommmmmmmmmp

Also gamers: midi in dragon quest? Fucking Casio keyboard sounding HORSE SHIT

don't really get the hate when it comes to dragon quest actual music, which is great. I remember when dragon quest viii came out here purists were actually UPSET that the game had an orchestral soundtrack. How times have changed.

Oct 25, 2017
Gamers:

don't really get the hate when it comes to dragon quest actual music, which is great. I remember when dragon quest viii came out here purists were actually UPSET that the game had an orchestral soundtrack. How times have changed.

The problem isn't midi music.

This is BAD midi music.

Also this is a thread about the composer being a fucking piece of shit, not the quality of the music. Not even sure why you bumped it to say something like that tbh.

Ometeotl

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gamers:

1. A genesis game vs a AAA $60 JRPG on the PS4 in 2018 from one of the biggest JRPG franchises in the world

2. Like the other guy said, it's a bad midi regardless

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gamers:

I didn't realize the PS4 and XBO used Genesis' sound chip

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Gamers:

A lot of Mega Drive music is pretty masterful my dude.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
Gamers:

Like any kind of music, Midi tracks can be good or trash
DQ XI has the worst tracks in the series period. absolute shite.
That orchestral music that plays in the opening is soooo good, the music should be the same quality as the rest of the game

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
1. A genesis game vs a AAA $60 JRPG on the PS4 in 2018 from one of the biggest JRPG franchises in the world

2. Like the other guy said, it's a bad midi regardless

Because, as already mentioned, dq 8 released in Japan wth midi music and at the time purists were up in arms that we got the orchestral soundtrack in game instead.

After playing the American 3ds release for 20 odd hours I can see why. Midi is a uniquely comfortable fit for the series. I love the orchestral version too but I hardly think the midi versions are as bad as people make them out to be.

I'm not even sure what's bad about it. I've heard some vague assertions that it 'hurts the ears' but I'm not sure what that means? The quality of the midi certainly isn't cheap or bad. It's painstakingly crafted.

If anything id say the soundtrack for xi just doesn't meet fan expectations, orchestral or otherwise. I enjoyed what I heard but would I enjoy it 30 hours later? I dunno.

As far as saying dragon quest music in general is bad....that's just kind of laughable. John Lennon was a super duper piece of shit too but let's not get carried away

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
Because, as already mentioned, dq 8 released in Japan wth midi music and at the time purists were up in arms that we got the orchestral soundtrack in game instead.

After playing the American 3ds release for 20 odd hours I can see why. Midi is a uniquely comfortable fit for the series. I love the orchestral version too but I hardly think the midi versions are as bad as people make them out to be.

I'm not even sure what's bad about it. I've heard some vague assertions that it 'hurts the ears' but I'm not sure what that means? The quality of the midi certainly isn't cheap or bad. It's painstakingly crafted.

If anything id say the soundtrack for xi just doesn't meet fan expectations, orchestral or otherwise. I enjoyed what I heard but would I enjoy it 30 hours later? I dunno.

As far as saying dragon quest music in general is bad....that's just kind of laughable. John Lennon was a super duper piece of shit too but let's not get carried away
lol nope
just because someone painstakingly crafted shit, it doesn't make it good
after hearing the overworld theme for the millionth time, I have to say it does hurt my ears.
Like tracks are re-used and there's only one whole track for the entirety of the overworld? who thought that was a good idea

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
lol nope
just because someone painstakingly crafted shit, it doesn't make it good
after hearing the overworld theme for the millionth time, I have to say it does hurt my ears.
Like tracks are re-used and there's only one whole track for the entirety of the overworld? who thought that was a good idea
So it's not really a problem with the midi then. You just don't like the compositions.

That's fair.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Gamers:

Why did you bump a thread to talk about something that has nothing to do with the thread?

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not against this thread being bumped. As many people as possible need to know how terrible a person Sugiyama is. He needs to be expelled from the industry. It won't happen, of course. Least he's old.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
I'm not against this thread being bumped. As many people as possible need to know how terrible a person Sugiyama is. He needs to be expelled from the industry. It won't happen, of course. Least he's old.
Yah agreed. In no way am I defending how vile he is and id be thrilled if they announced a new composer. I didnt even know about any of this until I saw this thread while searching google for dragon quest music. Fuck him 100 percent, I can't believe square Enix knowingly works with this asshole

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
The problem isn't midi music.

This is BAD midi music.

Also this is a thread about the composer being a fucking piece of shit, not the quality of the music. Not even sure why you bumped it to say something like that tbh.
Admittedly the two are kind of intertwined for why some of us are indignant, even if there's a bit of "bitch eating crackers" bit in that it makes things like this way more aggravating than they would've been if he weren't an intolerant bigot.

And, honestly? It probably shouldn't have been midi in the original release ANYWAY. The PS2 was about the cutting off point of that in that you could plausibly go either way with this kind of music, but with it being a far higher end game it's finally a bit too much to take. Especially when DQVII and VIII had Orchestral music in Japan on 3DS (which of course doesn't come here because WTF is this guy's problem?!)

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
This thread has already played out and been followed up by another thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.