• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Congrats to Sugiyama on being one of the worst people in video games well into his 80s. His views are abhorrent and he's been phoning in his music for over a decade. I'm pretty sure literally everyone will be happy to see him go at this point.
Yeah the thing about Sugiyama is that he *was* good, but has been relying on nostalgia in his work for a long, long time

He isn't necessary and is actively making the series worse with the way he handles the rights to his music

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
To get a grasp on some things for those unaware of some things about him. Not only is Sugiyama part of JASRAC which puts him into a powerful position in the game/music industry but also a board member of the Japanese Institute for National Fundamentals, a foreign policy think tank that openly affiliates with Nippon Kaigi, a revisionist nationalist group in Japan.

All of this is normal everyday things for him. this is what he's about. He's an old timer imperialist and nationalist individual who wants to revise history in the country.
This sounds like a person that you should totally, absolutely, never-ever be cool with thinking about getting struck by a random force of nature.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Funny thing is that he will probably be immortalized as a legend anyway.

So... yay for his death, I guess?

Raw64life

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I can't believe a conservative in his late 80's is against gay rights.

Shocking and unpredictable news right here.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I look forward to the same condemnation and boycott of his games on this site as we got during the Kingdom Come release period earlier this year.

Dragon Quest games have, to the extent of my knowledge, never allowed his abhorrent views to be reflected on the games themselves (you don't get "Alpha Male" skill in any of these games for example, lol), so no, your comparison is not valid at all.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Err, did you edit in something other than yikes, or is that actually what he said pre-5 minute edit?

On topic, guy is a colossal piece of shit who has made some amazing music over the years. It's all the weirder that he's attached to a series as wholesome as Dragon Quest (that even managed to include a pretty tasteful, probably gay character in XI).
This shows a real lack of understanding over music ownership. The composer owns the music. This guy is a prick, but don't equate retaining copyright as being "an ass".
At least in movies, most soundtracks are work for hire, and the rights are owned by the producers.

Last edited:

Dizagaox

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
London
You didn't really answer my question. I'm honestly scratching my head trying to think of other games that have composers deathgripping their music like this dude to the point of negatively effecting overseas releases and attempting to wring out concert money.
Nobuo Uematsu is probably the most famous person like that. It's because of him Final Fantasy soundtracks are in limbo internationally, and you can't get local concerts of its music without paying $$$.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I can't believe a conservative in his late 80's is against gay rights.

Shocking and unpredictable news right here.

Awesome hot take you got there.

He isn't just against gay rights, he gets jollies from the thought of LGBT people killing themselves. He's also a far right nationalist not a regular conservative.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Err, did you edit in something other than yikes, or is that actually what he said pre-5 minute edit?

On topic, guy is a colossal piece of shit who has made some amazing music over the years. It's all the weirder that he's attached to a series as wholesome as Dragon Quest (that even managed to include a pretty tasteful, probably gay character in XI).

Edit, yes.

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
It has always been a dilemma to me. This guy is clearly scum but he wrote one of my favorite vg ost ever for Shiren the Wanderer, only second to Shimamura's King of Dragons.

Sigh...

ShinySunny

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Yeah the thing about Sugiyama is that he *was* good, but has been relying on nostalgia in his work for a long, long time

He isn't necessary and is actively making the series worse with the way he handles the rights to his music

The question is why is he still in the industry? He shouldn't be working, nobody should be accepting his license to his music.
Even power player like Harvey Weinstein got destroyed even if his past works were Oscar worthy, but this old man is still getting rewarded for his war crime and hate speech?

Why isn't the gaming media push SE and write about this?
Why aren't people boycotting the upcoming DQ?
I hope the reviewers and game journalists would do a disclaimer by ugly DQ history by saying that Sugiyama is an Imperial Japanese sympathizer and still believe that Nazi Germany is an ally in his hate crime fight.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking If i would get Spiderman or dragon Quest in september, that made my mind to get Spiderman, dragon Quest i Will try to get used later now.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Quest games have, to the extent of my knowledge, never allowed his abhorrent views to be reflected on the games themselves (you don't get "Alpha Male" skill in any of these games for example, lol), so no, your comparison is not valid at all.
His views do affect the games to a degree. He's often the reason it's difficult to localize the DQ games. He won't allow westerners to have his music and also will not sell his music in the west.

Dizagaox

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
London
Yup, he does. The compositions that he did for the franchise are owned by him in copyright. Here's the copyright as a example:

© 2004, 2015, 2017 ARMOR PROJECT/BIRD STUDIO/SQUARE ENIX All rights reserved. ©SUGIYAMA KOBO
You're mixing up stuff. Sugiyama Kobo (which is the name of a company) co-owns the franchise. That copyright credit you quote refers to the game itself, not the music.

In general, all music composed in a video game or movie or any entertainment whatsoever belongs to the composer/songwriter.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
You know you can just report something if you think it's violating a rule we have here instead of posting "Yikes" repeatedly.

in before people quote this with "yikes." Don't derail this thread further, please.
It doesn't appear to be a rule violation to call for someone's death, as I'm the one who attracted reprimand from the mods/admins and not those posters...
and why the subtweet, lol?

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
His views do affect the games to a degree. He's often the reason it's difficult to localize the DQ games. He won't allow westerners to have his music and also will not sell his music in the west.

I meant in terms of the games' content themselves. Unlike Kingdom Come Deliverance where the views of its creators seep into the game itself (how the game treats women, the "Alpha Male" skill, etc etc)

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
The question is why is he still in the industry? He shouldn't be working, nobody should be accepting his license to his music.
Even power player like Harvey Weinstein got destroyed even if his past works were Oscar worthy, but this old man is still getting rewarded for his war crime and hate speech?

I hope the reviewers and game journalists would do a disclaimer by ugly DQ history by saying that Sugiyama is an Imperial Japanese sympathizer and still believe that Nazi Germany is an ally in his hate crime fight.

I mean, DQ barely sells in the west. Boycotting does nothing lol.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this why Dragon Quest doesn't have orchastrated music?

No seriously fuck this guy, there's plenty of young composers who are fans of the series who aren't assholes.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
User Banned (24h): Antagonizing users with false equivalencies
He has been using his money and influence to spread his far right views for a few decades now. He's not some random nobody ranting at the dinner table to his disinterested family.

So let's not be all high and mighty, the guy is a cancer on Japanese society and he's never going to change.

Calling someone a ¨cancer on society" shows you have as much hate as the guy does. When you see someone spewing venom, the worst choice is to start spewing venom at them or with them. And wishing someone would die for what their views is an especially vile venom.

Whatever happened to being the better person? Because very few in this topic took that route with wishing for guy to die...

OP
OP
duckroll

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Calling someone a ¨cancer on society" shows you have as much hate as the guy does. When you see someone spewing venom, the worst choice is to start spewing venom at them or with them. And wishing someone would die for what their views is an especially vile venom.

Whatever happened to being the better person? Because very few in this topic took that route with wishing for guy to die...
When you post twice in a thread about a famous person laughing with a politician suggesting LGBT people should kill themselves, and both posts are about how people being mean or aggressive should be the "better person" or whatever, it tells us all we need to know about you.

Oct 25, 2017

I'm sorry (sort of not), but this opinion is toxic and bullshit. Stop babying monsters.

Oct 25, 2017

This both sides are the same thing is complete nonsense.

Dizagaox

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
London
So when do we get him sacked and dissuade discussion of DQ on ERA?
Sadly not possible. He not only co-owns the franchise, it's Japan, where they're not likely to do anything. If denying Japanese war crimes in an opinion piece in the Washington Post didn't get him booted, which is illegal by the way for any Japanese to do (don't forget, Japan doesn't have freedom of speech when it comes to imperial era discussion), this won't do anything either. It's not as if game sales are going to be dented either.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny thing is that he will probably be immortalized as a legend anyway.

So... yay for his death, I guess?

Well, even if a piece of shit, he's already is one for his contributions as a composer.

Yes, DQ has nothing that are similar to his thinking. We're quite luck that he's only a composer and not writer of the series. Otherwise DQ would be quite different.

Dragon Quest has almost no penetration on the west, most people don't have any idea who's him, even the ones that know him maybe don't know what he does, in Japan he's extremely famous and powerful as well in many ways, there's many motives.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You're fucking right I hate.

I hate that people like this exist. I hate that I live on a planet where queer people can get fucking murdered at no cost. I hate that queer kids constantly get treated like shit with no way to defend themselves. I hate that this bullshit has been so institutionalized that people like you are perfectly fine with finger wagging about it.

But, no, I'm just as bad for hating the oppressors.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

No it doesn't make you as bad, that's ridiculous.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're mixing up stuff. Sugiyama Kobo (which is the name of a company) co-owns the franchise. That copyright credit you quote refers to the game itself, not the music.

In general, all music composed in a video game or movie or any entertainment whatsoever belongs to the composer/songwriter.

Thanks for the correction, I didn't know about the existence of his company. Always thought that it was just his name like Itoi in Mother. Still, I think that the point is the same.

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017

Stop enabling people in power to keep spreading hate and death on minority classes. I think hoping nature takes its course on an 87 year old viciously bigoted man that will not change his ideals is still being a better person than he is. The world would be a better place.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

A nazi sympathizer + Imperial Japan sympathizer + anti-LGBT is a cancer on society whether you like it or not. Get out of here with that "you shouldn't be rude to him" bullshit talk.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017

I have as much hate as someone who is an apologist and is nostalgic for imperial Japan and uses his money to promote those ideas both at home and abroad? What a load of fatuous nonsense, I am embarrassed for you.

It's obvious you have no skin in this game.

Also I didn't wish for his death.

ShinySunny

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I mean, DQ barely sells in the west. Boycotting does nothing lol.

Should still boycott to tell SE to stop porting DQ to the West with his music licenses. The West doesn't care about DQ so they can start fresh with a new composer.

I am just shock that barely if none of the gaming media is pushing this story out and why SE is still supporting him. No one is asking about SE contract agreement and licensing fee to support him with monetry value so he can use it to spread more hate.
SE is a "global" publisher, so they should at least uphold some human right standards instead of associating their company and DQ with him.
Right now, every time I think of DQ, I think of MIDI and a game that is sponsoring an Imperial Japanese sympathizer with fresh money to wage more hate crimes.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
He's a piece of human shit, and this just proves the point.

The worst part is that he's not just some rando. He's a fuck head with a whole lot of money and a VERY powerful voice in a country that is struggling heavily with these issues because of people like him making it a worse place to live for them. The fact that he has the gall to laugh over the concept of kids killing themselves tells you everything you need to know about his "humanity."

SE should do the world a solid and bring on Manami Matsumae to compose for the main Dragon Quest games. Her work on Dragon Quest Swords is woefully under-appreciated IMO.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
When you post twice in a thread about a famous person laughing with a politician suggesting LGBT people should kill themselves, and both posts are about how people being mean or aggressive should be the "better person" or whatever, it tells us all we need to know about you.

Being mean and aggressive is one thing, hoping he dies is another. And please, don´t accuse me of anything for finding many of the post here as distasteful as what is being said. I would never sheepishly follow a mob against something I was against, because I am not a violent person.

But please, continue seething over this and making more death wishes for the guy

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
A nazi sympathizer + Imperial Japan sympathizer + anti-LGBT is a cancer on society whether you like it or not. Get out of here with that "you shouldn't be rude to him" bullshit talk.
lol, he really is like cancer in human form. At least three horrific things in one.

Dizagaox

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
London
Except that's not like this guy? Nevermind.
You asked me to name someone who has an iron fist over their JRPG music, and I gave you the single most high profile example.

Shoji Meguro too. There's a French YouTuber that got a nasty cease and desist letter from his lawyers for uploading covers quite recently, before Sega I presume ordered Atlus to order him to settle down.

Status
Not open for further replies.