• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
I wish people (chinese game reviewers that I read, mostly) had talked about his views/actions more, so I wouldn't have bought DQXI, at least not new.

Oct 25, 2017
But aren't we giving money to a bigot? Is there a way to skirt him out of the cost of the game?

That's a dilemma that we have to face at times, and it's up to you to make that decision. Hundreds of people worked in the game, it's not just the work of that single hateful man, and I already bought my copy so I'm already doomed haha.

With how long they take to make a mainline game, this or the next will probably be the last mainline games he will ever work on anyways.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Being mean and aggressive is one thing, hoping he dies is another. And please, don´t accuse me of anything for finding many of the post here as distasteful as what is being said. I would never sheepishly follow a mob against something I was against, because I am not a violent person.

But please, continue seething over this and making more death wishes for the guy

Get off your high horse with your both sides nonsense, it's tiresome.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Calling someone a ¨cancer on society" shows you have as much hate as the guy does.
did you know that disliking someone who laughs at the idea that gay people should kill themselves and actively works toward eliminating his countries history of war crimes is just as bad as doing all of those things

it's exactly the same and not a lazy false equivilance to try and make yourself seem superior to people at all

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Being mean and aggressive is one thing, hoping he dies is another. And please, don´t accuse me of anything for finding many of the post here as distasteful as what is being said. I would never sheepishly follow a mob against something I was against, because I am not a violent person.

But please, continue seething over this and making more death wishes for the guy
i dont see many people saying they hope he dies

i do see people saying he's 87 and they won't shed a tear when he does die

there's a difference

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is why I don't support DQ.

Should ban his ass because SE isn't just a Japanese company anymore, it is a global publisher.
His music isn't even iconic in the West, barely anybody cares about the shitty MIDI music over here.

It is time to start fresh and remove his old ass.
SE has 3x decades with DQ, removing him won't do anything but rather improve the PR and future music of DQ.

It's not that simple and Dragon Quest unfortunately is nothing on the west, unlike in Japan where DQ is one of the biggest pieces of media and it's music is extremely iconic.

That without count the fact that Sugiyama has copyright on the franchise, which SE can't do anything about him if they want to.

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
You asked me to name someone who has an iron fist over their JRPG music, and I gave you the single most high profile example.

Shoji Meguro too. There's a French YouTuber that got a nasty cease and desist letter from his lawyers for uploading covers quite recently, before Sega I presume ordered Atlus to order him to settle down.
Again, nevermind.

OP
OP
duckroll

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore

I'm not accusing you of anything, I'm judging you. It's different. :)

You wanna judge people, we can judge you too. Don't like it? Too bad. Be the better person!

Nick Nehidnyk

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This has been a weird thread. One of the weirder ones I've seen on this site, actually. It's peak ResetEra in a lot of ways. As for the topic at hand, this is certainly disheartening, and it is appalling that such views fall adequately within the mainstream for Square Enix to continue this man's employment.

It doesn't appear to be a rule violation to call for someone's death, as I'm the one who attracted reprimand from the mods/admins and not those posters...
and why the subtweet, lol?
giphy.gif

Deleted member 34618

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Well I guess now I have another reason to wish SE would get a different composer for Dragon Quest besides the fact the series has terrible music.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
He's a piece of human shit, and this just proves the point.

The worst part is that he's not just some rando. He's a fuck head with a whole lot of money and a VERY powerful voice in a country that is struggling heavily with these issues because of people like him making it a worse place to live for them. The fact that he has the gall to laugh over the concept of kids killing themselves tells you everything you need to know about his "humanity."

SE should do the world a solid and bring on Manami Matsumae to compose for the main Dragon Quest games. Her work on Dragon Quest Swords is woefully under-appreciated IMO.

That's pretty good.

OP
OP
duckroll

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Please feel free to enlighten me with some pearls of wisdom. Before I return the favour.
For the longest time, most composers in the Japanese game industry worked as company employees instead of freelancers. It is true that for those who have made a name for themselves, they have increasingly opted to go freelance for the reason that it allows them the opportunity to negotiate ownership of their own music. But for all the composers who worked on games while in the employ of a company, that work belongs to the company, not the individual. Sugiyama is in a unique position because he was never in the employ of Enix from the very start. Uematsu and Meguro do not fully own their own music at all. Meguro is in fact still an employee of Atlus, and is the head of their sound division now. So when he issues a takedown, he is doing it on behalf of Atlus. If he were to ever leave Atlus, his prior work does not entirely belong to him by default. That's not how it works.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well I guess now I have another reason to wish SE would get a different composer for Dragon Quest besides the fact the series has terrible music.

Trash the music, its garbage tier anyways. Cute on the NES, but it truly didn't make the transition.

Man, I hate that I need to defend it in a thread like this but DQ music is in no way trash or terrible. It's very good in all of the games. The Battle Theme of DQ8 and DQ11 are one of my favorite of all time, for example.

tanoooki

Oct 28, 2017
I get that his opinion is bad but the man is 87 years old... you'd be hard pressed to find someone that age who is accepting of LGBT people. I feel it's unfair to wish death upon him.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
How has SE not dropped his ass? Having people like that in your work force may work in Japan but it doesn't fly in the west. Fuck that piece of shit.

I get that his opinion is bad but the man is 87 years old... you'd be hard pressed to find someone that age who is accepting of LGBT people. I feel it's unfair to wish death upon him.
There are plenty of old people who accept people for who they are. Age is not an excuse. Its really not unfair that we don't want garbage human beings on earth.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
Music was one of the weakest part of DQ11 so I think it's about time they get some one new.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
It sucks, but I'm not going to let one asshole ruin DQ for me. A lot of people who aren't giant pieces of shit worked hard to make the game itself, and I intend to appreciate their efforts regardless of one blemish.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017

Read the damn thread. He's not your standard octogenarian conservative who defaults to the status quo and doesn't really understand the LGBT thing, he's a far right nationalist who got his jollies at the idea of LGBT people killing themselves.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I wonder how many other Japanese people in the entertainment industry have similiar beliefs.
Even if they do, they have the good sense not to make it a massive part of their public and fiscal lives in an effort to spread toxic propaganda in order to muddy the waters of progressive thought. However, in this case, we have a creative laughing at the concept of fellow human beings committing suicide under this preposterous pretense of being unable to grow the population. This is just absurd.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If square really wants DQ to take off in the west, they'll know what they have to do, once the mainstream gets word of this, its all over, people wont separate the actual game from the music composer

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
You asked me to name someone who has an iron fist over their JRPG music, and I gave you the single most high profile example.

Shoji Meguro too. There's a French YouTuber that got a nasty cease and desist letter from his lawyers for uploading covers quite recently, before Sega I presume ordered Atlus to order him to settle down.

This struck me as, in all probability, more of an ATLUS thing than Shoji Meguro himself. I mean, we're talking about a company that disallow PS4 screenshot features for Persona 5 out of some backward ass reasons of "people spoilering their games." Not to mention region-locking their PS3 games.

They're control freaks.

Unless there are any other occasion of him acting like a jerk?

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Guess I am glad not into the music (well not being into DQ at all, but anyway), cause it would be more heartbreaking to hear how really shitty he is. This series deserves better on this end.

Deleted member 34618

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Man, I hate that I need to defend it in a thread like this but DQ music is in no way trash or terrible. It's very good in all of the games. The Battle Theme of DQ8 and DQ11 are one of my favorite of all time, for example.
Everyone has different taste, I've always felt it was the worst part of the series, personally.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I really hope I live to see the day when people who parade their bigotry in public are immediately challenged and asked to explain themselves. There is nothing positive about assholes being coddled in permissive social bubbles. They should have to defend their callous views on the spot.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could always boycott their games but Square Enix is basically dead to me already so it wouldn't be much of a protest.

It's not like boycotting it on the west would do something about it. The only thing that it would achieve would be the series not coming anymore for bad sales if it had some kind of repercussion which I doubt it will for the franchise that is niche.

How has SE not dropped his ass? Having people like that in your work force may work in Japan but it doesn't fly in the west. Fuck that piece of shit.

There are plenty of old people who accept people for who they are. Age is not an excuse. Its really not unfair that we don't want garbage human beings on earth.

Because SE can't do that if they want to. Sugiyama has copyright on the series as one of the creators along Toriyama and Horii

I wonder how many other Japanese people in the entertainment industry have similiar beliefs.

Well, definitely many do. It's not that different than the west in that regard. We just don't know since those people won't talk about it for the most part.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck this piece of shit. I've hated him since I found out he denies war-crimes committed by Japan. He is just awful.

Also lol at the posters trying to say posters wishing death on him are comparable to his homophobia which includes wishing death on them and denying the atocirities committed in Nanking. Keep embarrassing yourselves with your false equivuilancies.

Zaeia

Jan 3, 2018
I am so disappointed as I like his compositions. I always knew he has horribly twisted views on the war. However, this does not surprise me because of his age, and that it is Japan. I always worry that other favorite composers in his age group will be the same way (Koroku Reijoro).

Status
Not open for further replies.