• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I know it might not mean a lot to some folks here, but enemy design is very important to me in games. Not just mechanically, though that's important too, but in terms of general aesthetics I always appreciate when a game goes the extra mile to give life to the mooks and randos. It's one of the reasons I really have a fondness for Nintendo games, because generally their monster designs are pretty top notch---Mario and Kirby especially, to the point I love when minor enemies are given playable appearances, but Zelda, Kid Icarus, and Donkey Kong are also high up there. And yes, I'm counting Returns for the most part! This may be why I've never been able to get into Metroid, their enemies designs don't do much for me outside like Ridley and Kraid, but I digress. Likewise as much as I appreciate the functionality of Crash and Spyro's enemies, I always felt their games were a bit low-tier due to pretty bland enemies all around.

But Dragon Quest. Man, Dragon Quest has amazing enemy designs. Now I wouldn't say they beat Pokemon necessarily, but that's due to the fact the latter are the main draw of the series while the DQ monsters don't necessarily need to be amazing since they're meant to be taken out, but the amount of style and personality each of the monsters possesses really exceeds the base level of satisfaction. Sure, there are a bunch of recolors, but the lovable pun names of the localization make it really fun to see what name they thought of for each alternative. And wow, the monsters POP in Dragon Quest XI while still maintaining their classic designs and in some cases poses. Say what you will about Toriyama's humans, but his creatures are pretty top-notch and iconic. I'm sure some of the monsters are designed by other folks much like how Sugimori didn't design all the Pokemon, but the Toriyama-style is just appealing.

So, yeah, let's talk Dragon Quest monster designs!

First, let's get the obvious out of the way...

TWPEZ0N.png

Platypunk. Appreciation of this creature is the sign of a true Dragon Quest connoisseur---if Slime is the Bugs/Mickey of Dragon Quest, then Platypunk is the Daffy/Donald.

8WdTggs.png

Toriyama is also pretty good at making cool armor (I mean, the Freeza Force shoulder pads are iconic!) and thus we have the Restless Armour. For some reason it got me giddy when I encountered this monster in DQXI, and it immediately shifts into its classic pose facing sideways to the camera. That's just such a nostalgic touch for me, even though I'm not a huge DQ fan I've seen this monster enough to recognize its pose.

orE67zo.png

One of the cutest monsters in DQXI, and making its western debut, the Sham Hatwitch (say it a few times) is just adorable.

43IsPtC.png

On the opposite end of the spectrum is this badass creature, the Kriller Killer. This is actually a mook recolor of a boss, but I didn't want to spoil the boss' design by giving away the name---anyway, when I first saw the (boss version) of this creature I was like, wow, fucking awesome. A mix of a scorpion, a cobra, and an anomalocaris, this dude is tough as he needs to look.

piKX2Y3.png

And, well, I'll end this by posting a green dragon because, damn, if you're gonna make a series called Dragon Quest you better have some cool dragons and Toriyama delivers.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's kinda hit and miss. Like from the OP, the Platypunk and Sham Hatwitch look unique & good, but the Restless Armor and that green dragon look pretty shitty, imho.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think it's kinda hit and miss. Like from the OP, the Platypunk and Sham Hatwitch look unique & good, but the Restless Armor and that green dragon look pretty shitty, imho.

I think it might be because those two have been around since the original, so the charm is sort of that old-school Toriyama style. And also Dragon Quest is like super classic "knights and dragons", so I think those are very functional and unique to represent a Japanese take on the genre.

It's kind of like the charm the older art of Gen I Pokemon have like fat Pikachu.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing for THE iconic enemy of Dragon Quest?

250px-DQ_Slime.png

A Slime Draws Near!

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
200px-DQVIII_Khalamari_Kid.png

Khalamari Kid, always and forever.

Well, until I revisit the series again and broaden my scope I guess.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
200px-EggplatonArt.png

Eggplaton / Woebergine

Ever since I first saw them in Dragon Warrior Monsters 2, I've loved the little things.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
latest

I know it's basically just fantasy RPG Gohan, but I love this design.

Hero3male.png
Hero3female.png

The more adult male/female Erdrick designs are fantastic, as well.

Tamath

Oct 31, 2017
Vienna, Austria
See avatar.

Also have a statue of the OG Dracolord that I have proudly on display on my desk at work, that I bought in Akihabara when I went to Japan last May.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
piKX2Y3.png

And, well, I'll end this by posting a green dragon because, damn, if you're gonna make a series called Dragon Quest you better have some cool dragons and Toriyama delivers.
These cartoon dragons staring at you with their dumb grins and giant goofy heads front and center always freak me out.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I loved this thing as soon as I saw it in DQXI. A mech shaped like an egg, called... Eggsoskeleton.

czIPZV1.png

First, let's get the obvious out of the way...

TWPEZ0N.png

Platypunk. Appreciation of this creature is the sign of a true Dragon Quest connoisseur---if Slime is the Bugs/Mickey of Dragon Quest, then Platypunk is the Daffy/Donald.

I've dug Platypunk ever since I used him as my main in Fortune Street, mostly because his mobster persona gives me an excuse to act like a callous money-grubbing asshole.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
I like how the dragons glare from one side of their face. It's weird, but so cool too. lol. It translated in DQ11 especially well.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Toriyama was always better at designing monsters than humans

Like yeah he's good with humans but...

demonites

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
I like how Oolong's transformation in his first appearance in Dragon Ball resembles the knights from Dragon Quest.

th

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
Man DQ has the greatest monster designs of any jrpg series (other than Pokémon obviously). So much charm and personality.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I really wish I was into this series now.....they're all supposed to be mad long aren't they?

Do it, I also only recently got into the series. I played DQ7 (60+ hours) back at 2016 but didn't think much about the series. Then I got swooped in by DQ11 hype, and tries to play several of older entries before DQ11 drops, but ended up only playing DQ4 (around 15-20 hours I think). Started DQ11 but put it down for several days to play DQ1 and DQ3 (DQ1 are really short like 4-5 hours short, and DQ3 is like 10-12 hours).

24-Carrot Bunicorn is probably my favorite monster pun in DQ11.

Barrylocke

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, and since people are also putting humans, I always loved DQ 5 hero's look. The turban, the cane. He's one of my favorite jrpg character designs in general.

300px-Dq5ds_hero_artwork.png