• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
UK
They look so ugly. Especially on the same console you have DQ11S which looks gorgeous in 2D. Wasn't these the games you got for beating DQ11 in Japan?

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
look at this shit. honestly it's mind boggling how disrespectful SE can be to their own legacy and history.

img_20190916_104325gkj78.jpg
The dragon looks like clipart.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
How much money do I need to throw at Atlus to port their SMT I and II mobile ports to Switch?

Preferably without ruining the art like SE because woof

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
It's a shame that these don't look great visually but I'll still probably pick up 1 and 3 at the very least so that I can finally play them.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
They definitely look far from ideal but I'm getting them. I want to play these games finally and I just can't get into RPGs on my phone. I wish SE would put some actual effort into their ports. Even just the untouched SNES version would be worth the price imo.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
They definitely look far from ideal but I'm getting them. I want to play these games finally and I just can't get into RPGs on my phone. I wish SE would put some actual effort into their ports. Even just the untouched SNES version would be worth the price imo.
The SNES versions were never translated, so they'd have to update them to support other languages and that might be tricky.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
How much money do I need to throw at Atlus to port their SMT I and II mobile ports to Switch?

Preferably without ruining the art like SE because woof

Considering Atlus didn't even bother to release a 64bit update for SMT iOS, which makes it impossible to play these days... I wouldn't hold my breath.

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
Yeah, that'd be really nice, especially now that they're unavailable... Of course Atlus would have to localize SMT2 still, but I imagine they would on Switch?
It really sucks I can't play SMT anymore from the app store because it's 32-bit. I'm surprised that even happened to begin with.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping for a Chrono Trigger Steam situation where they actually fixed the port.

Doubt it.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
i'd pay 60 bucks for that, no joke
include if... as well, that one has a mobile port too.

Same. This is why I'm mad at Atlus for their Switch support. Games take time I don't have a problem with that. They could easily fill in the gap with some ports but no... buy Persona 5 again on the same console you bought it originally.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Same. This is why I'm mad at Atlus for their Switch support. Games take time I don't have a problem with that. They could easily fill in the gap with some ports but no... buy Persona 5 again on the same console you bought it originally.
yeah, a sane company would have ported 1-2-3 to switch in the mean time (even if digital only) while people wait for 5. that way you get a lot of new fans too who will look forward to the new game.

It's so weird how DQ:XI has amazing sprites and then these things exist...
XI S is made by the main DQ team who i assume respect the past games and are proud of the work put into them. these are made by... who even knows.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
f75WH7R.png

I love how the "cleric" (sorry, don't know the names) is a lower res than the other 3, but then they scaled her up to be the same size and thus made her blurry in comparison.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
It's too bad we're stuck with this off brand version of Dragon Quest III and not the SNES version, which is arguably one of the best looking and sounding Dragon Quest games in the series.

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, a sane company would have ported 1-2-3 to switch in the mean time (even if digital only) while people wait for 5. that way you get a lot of new fans too who will look forward to the new game.

XI S is made by the main DQ team who i assume respect the past games and are proud of the work put into them. these are made by... who even knows.

It doesn't really matter who makes it of it has a budget. DQXI got that pixel art because it is a full price release that was going to sell millions of copies. These are cheap re-releases that will sell like 2% of the what XI did.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The more I look at the higher detailed sprites overlayed over chunky backdrops makes me think of when I used to plop stock RPG Maker characters into Pokémon maps. If anything the scaling was probably better there, too.

Hoping for a Chrono Trigger Steam situation where they actually fixed the port.

Doubt it.

I'm curious what the opinion in Japan is in regards to changes like these, I imagine outcry from those fans would matter way more than the western opinion.

It's a good thing XI S is happening because these + Your Story doing what it did wouldn't make for a good year for DQ.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile versions means a hard pass.

They should have at least offered the SFC versions.

No Pachisi in III is a complete dealbreaker.

Larsa

Oct 25, 2017
oh it's the modern console versions, yeah they're fucking hideous. this might be the first time i've wished for a mobile version port instead.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
3 is an instant buy, the iOS version is good, but I have longed for a version with buttons and a better aspect ratio...

Hoping for monster animations, but not expecting them.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Those smoothed sprites look like dogshit. Gross.

You have time to fix this, give us the original SNES sprites as an option Square

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
These are genuinely the most hideous ports of 2D games I've ever seen. And I'm including the FF mobile ports in that equation.

The character sprites seem to be more detailed and higher resolution while the SNES-era overworld tiles have seemingly been stretched by a non integer scale with the barest amount of smearing to make up for it.

VYYPLmb.jpg

The battle screens seem the least terrible but they still look remarkably cheap.

3XBwwiG.png

While this is obviously a downgrade from DQ3's SNES remake, this is a million times less ugly than FF6's port.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I don't think the DQIII port would look that bad if the character sprites were the original SNES ones. I don't really mind the HD menus or the Toriyama art for the monsters, but the characters clash so badly with the backgrounds, it makes it look like a shoddy fan game.

Oct 28, 2017
Y'all need to put some respect on the mobile versions. Which, touch controls aside, are well done, and don't look anywhere near as rough these ports visually (chintzy looking enemy battle art, weirdly inconsistent character sprites, etc).