• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Pretty cool, not my favorite versions by any means and I think they look asstacular. Hell would even prefer just the GBC versions of these three but I'm impressed its happening at all*

*yeah it's a very low bar

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
BEE OH YOU GEE HEYTCH TEE

BOUGHT

surprising that SE is publishing the games and not nintendo, doesn't really matter tho

and they're coming on the same day as 11, omg!

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
They obviously saw my post from the other week.

Definitely going to get these, kinda wish the west was getting the carts, but totally fine. Going to do a play together with my kids.

Yeah they aren't perfect versions but they're good enough and it will be fun to play.

Deleted member 26293

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Good to see SE - or is it Nintendo?- is still trying to push DQ in the west.

The mobile versions are super cheap, hope the Switch one will be priced accordingly.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Why the hell would they release it that close to DQXIS? Oh right, Square-Enix and their lack of strategy for DQ in the west...

Shame it's digital only here too, but at least the asian version is physical and in english.

A. D. Skinner

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Where is that nice thread that someone used to do about all the new games coming out in a particular month, this month must look nuts.

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019
Thanks for explaining why I should not play these versions
You gotta post the reasons.
If it is based of the PS4/mobile release, then bad pixel scaling, redrawn (poorly) enemy sprites on top of pixelated background, botched enemy battle animations for DQ3.
Now idk how it looks like as of now but I'd be damned if this is how someone would try for the first time these great games (albeit I never was a big fan of DQ2). SE sure as hell don't deserve anyone's money for that terrible job. (for reference : Dragon Quest 1, Dragon Quest 3 on PS4)

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Why the hell would they release it that close to DQXIS? Oh right, Square-Enix and their lack of strategy for DQ in the west...

Shame it's digital only here too, but at least the asian version is physical and in english.
Again, not a lack of strategy. They did the same thing when XI released in Japan (secretly).

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Someone tell Nintendo and/or SQEX that there are 12 months in the calendar, theirs seem to be faulty because they appear to only show September.

steveovig

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty nice and hopefully that Terry game is next. Guess I'll cancel my pre-order for the Asian physical release then.

Deleted member 38050

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Hell yes!!! I knew they'd make it over, wasn't expecting them so soon, though. This rules. Hope we get a physical release here, too.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Mega Thread (A Guide for Getting Into Dragon Quest) lists mobile versions from 1-3 as all recommended. I'd definitely trust that over most other random opinions.

So my conclusion, if these are based on the mobile ports, great!

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they do the thing they did with DQXI in japan where you got DQ1 for beating the game.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
If it is based of the PS4/mobile release, then bad pixel scaling, redrawn (poorly) enemy sprites on top of pixelated background, botched enemy battle animations for DQ3.
Now idk how it looks like as of now but I'd be damned if this is how someone would try for the first time these great games (albeit I never was a big fan of DQ2).

Hopefully the DF guys can take a look at this port.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
Glad to hear it! I was starting to think we'd all have to resort to the Asian release which would've been a bit silly. Still a nice option for the physical tho

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Please don't play these versions
Get outta here with this shit. For a lot of people these are the easiest legal way to play the games competently.

The ports don't ruin the game so keep this 'best version' gatekeeper shit to yourself.

Or at the very least come with a better post that explains why you feel this way.

I would rather people buy and play these to experience the games and to show SE DQ can be viable in the west, than to never get DQ games.

Some of y'all around here need to realize that not everyone wants to emulate shit or play this stuff on pc etc and having the opportunity to get them easily and legally is great.

Yes we would prefer they were better versions, but beggars can't be choosers. I'd rather have em than not.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Edit: sorry for the confusion all! The thread has been reopened.

Last edited:

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
The other thread seems to be a different announcement from Square Enix Asia and as such we'll leave this open as well for discussion on this topic.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Well, since the other thread was talking about the Asia english version while this one is talking about the just announced NA & EU release...

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
looking at the screenshots a bit more, these do truly look gross. i'm not getting these, specially when you can see how gorgeous they can potentially look based on their worlds in DQXI S.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
looking at the screenshots a bit more, these do truly look gross. i'm not getting these, specially when you can see how gorgeous they can potentially look based on their worlds in DQXI S.
Yep, disgusting.
rszHVHe.png

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
KtotheRoc can you add this to the OP? Also the title should be updated with the prices

Square Enix will release the Switch versions of Dragon Quest, Dragon Quest II: Luminaries of the Legendary Line, and Dragon Quest III: The Seeds of Salvation via the Nintendo eShop in the west day-and-date with their Japanese release on September 27 for $4.99, $6.49, and $12.49, respectively, the company announced.

Geobros

Dec 31, 2018
Those are the NES ports or there will be a better version? I have already pre ordered my physical copy before this announcement but I won't cancel it if there will be not a physical european copy.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
These releases have like 4 different resolutions going on at the same time...

HD text boxes with 16 bit backgrounds, higher res pixel art for the characters and then Toriyama art for the monsters (including new drawings for backgrounds)...

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
These are genuinely the most hideous ports of 2D games I've ever seen. And I'm including the FF mobile ports in that equation.

The character sprites seem to be more detailed and higher resolution while the SNES-era overworld tiles have seemingly been stretched by a non integer scale with the barest amount of smearing to make up for it.

VYYPLmb.jpg

The battle screens seem the least terrible but they still look remarkably cheap.

3XBwwiG.png

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Neat! I can't imagine going back to these games, but glad to see SE honoring their older titles.