• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Oh alright then

edit: still can't get over this news. Andboth movies you mentioned are live action too lol

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Hope it's as good as the live action series!

A7rVlWN.jpg

Yuusha Yoshihiko is good

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
I can't imagine this being good. But here's hoping!

I'll elaborate on this. What makes Dragon Quest good, at least to me, is the feeling of the game world. You get to this by exploring and fighting, yes, but mostly you get to it through talking to people. Now, of course you can make a film based around people talking to each other engaging, but it's a harder sell for an animated feature, especially one aimed at kids. My worry is that this will be too action orientated.

Really, to do the story and the scope of DQV justice you would need a TV series or a number of films. Part 1 dealing with the hero's early life and trails, part 2 adulthood and so on. This could very well be the approach that the filmmakers are taking, I'd certainly hope so, anyway, colour me cautious for this one.

Last edited:

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the one with marriage right?

Is there a canon choice or will the actually pick someone? That's pretty interesting to me since you get stuff like the Persona adaptations usually avoiding picking someone like the plague.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Not sure you can entirely capture the feel of DQ5 in a non-interactive medium but it could be fun.

There should be three versions of the film though. And I will only watch the one where the lead marries Debora.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
This is the one with marriage right?

Is there a canon choice or will the actually pick someone? That's pretty interesting to me since you get stuff like the Persona adaptations usually avoiding picking someone like the plague.
The game always pushed Bianca as the default super hard.
I have only played XI. Is V good? Does the main character speak?
He's silent like the other heroes, but the storytelling is strong enough that it's not really much of an issue. V is REALLY good. The whole premise of a multi-generational story centering on one character's life is executed about as well as you could hope for, and it's all within a reasonable 30-ish hours.

Last edited:

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
A DQ movie not being in 2D to piggyback off the success of the Dragon Ball Super movies seems like a weird choice but OK.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I'm down for this! I hope it'll be good (and look good!).
Hope it's as good as the live action series!

A7rVlWN.jpg

Yuusha Yoshihiko is good

Yes, yes! Yuusha Yoshihiko is fantastic. All the jokes referencing Dragon Quest and more are on point. I laughed a lot watching the original season. I yet have to watch the other 2 (I think there were two more season) season.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
Good, this is one of my favourite games ever. Just recently replayed it from start to finish and it's still soooooo great. Gonna follow the news about this.

I have only played XI. Is V good? Does the main character speak?
It's only the best game in the series and one of the best games ever made. And no, all DQ protagonists are silent characters.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
3DCG is such a weird term. Like, is there 2DCG?

Anyway, never played the game, but I'd definitely watch this if it's on par with the OP cg from XI.

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
Honestly, I'm not sure if I can think of a better candidate for a movie adaptation than Dragon Quest V. This is the first time I've ever been remotely excited about a video game movie

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to watch a beautifully animated CG film as my ears bleed from horrible midi music forced on it by a literal trash heap of a human being.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
It makes sense to make a film about the best game in the series and also one of the greatest jRPG's of all time. Very excited for this.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
So will this be an adaptation of the original DQV or will they bring Debora to this film?

are they going to further canonize Bianca as the true bride?

Terranort

Oct 27, 2017
Consider me very interested. Dragon Quest V has one of my favorite stories in games period, so it will be interesting to see it animated and voiced.