• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
zance21 on Reddit discovered that for some reason, the IP ban that previously prevented anyone outside of Japan from playing Dragon Quest X has been lifted in the US. This includes not only the PC version but also the versions on consoles like Switch and PS4. Unfortunately the ban still seems to be active in Europe and possibly other regions, so anyone trying to play from there is still out of luck. Still, this is great news for us 'Muricans who've wanted to try out the one forbidden mainline DQ game without going through the hassle of a VPN since Square-Enix is set on never localizing it.

While it's a subscription based game, there is a trial on PC and PS4 that apparently lets you play the entirety of DQX Version 1 for free. Here are links to download the trials if you're interested:

PC: https://www.dqx.jp/start_game/windows/ (scroll down to Step 2 and click the Square Enix icon on the bottom right)
PS4: https://store.playstation.com/ja-jp/product/JP0082-CUSA03590_00-DQXTRIAL00000000

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
This happens every so often. Have fun anyone who's jumping in. DQ10 is fantastic.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Word of warning: this has happened a few times over the years, and it's never stuck for more than a few weeks at a time.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just in time for Phil to swoop in and announce the Xbox version for the US.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Quest X is the only game in the main series I have never played any version of.

:(

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
This is nice! I do have a big question, though.

Since this has happened occasionally over the years, and is bound to be "corrected," so to speak, eventually, what happens?

Does the server stop responding to the IP used and say "sorry, no can do!" Or does it actually send out a permanent ban on the IP used to connect to it?

I want to play this on my switch while I can, but I'm fearful of the consequences.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
This is nice! I do have a big question, though.

Since this has happened occasionally over the years, and is bound to be "corrected," so to speak, eventually, what happens?

Does the server stop responding to the IP used and say "sorry, no can do!" Or does it actually send out a permanent ban on the IP used to connect to it?

I want to play this on my switch while I can, but I'm fearful of the consequences.

There's an error message that says you can't connect using your current IP.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Man I wanna play this game so bad. Is there anywhere that has a decent summary of the story? I wish I was better at reading Japanese

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
This is the only thing I know about the game
Dragon-Quest-10-Offline.jpg

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
There's an error message that says you can't connect using your current IP.

Thank you, takes a load off my shoulders! I'm gonna try it out right now! I can't wait for this game to eventually be released over here, but good freaking luck of THAT happening, I guess!

Maybe anyone having fun with it can post impressions on this thread, or something? There are English text guides for the single player prologue, and the offline mode unlocked after, that are available online in case anyone wants to try this without understanding a lick of Japanese, so give it a shot and see how you like it!

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
47134992_581183105644869_9198644028936028160_n.png.83ebc21b1cd99cc721f68ef9c2d591b2.png

It's me talking with new director. (around last year)

The US and China IP block was lift since April.

Last edited:

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Not playable in Europe. :/

But the error message is this:
エラーコード: DQ-100-661-X
プレイする権利の登録がありません。
PlayStation MStoreから「ドラゴンクエストX」の
プロダクトコードを登録する必要があります。

Which translates to:
Error code: DQ-100-661-X There is no registration for the right to play. It is necessary to register the product code of "Dragon Quest X" from PlayStation MStore.

That doesn't sound like an IP problem. 🤔

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Not playable in Europe. :/

But the error message is this:
エラーコード: DQ-100-661-X
プレイする権利の登録がありません。
PlayStation MStoreから「ドラゴンクエストX」の
プロダクトコードを登録する必要があります。

Which translates to:
Error code: DQ-100-661-X There is no registration for the right to play. It is necessary to register the product code of "Dragon Quest X" from PlayStation MStore.

That doesn't sound like an IP problem. 🤔

A bit of a long shot, but did you try to play it using the JP account that downloaded the trial? I also get the same error message if I try to play it with my normal US account.

Tiggleton

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Is the Switch version an actual port or is it like the Switch version of PSO2, running on the cloud?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
A bit of a long shot, but did you try to play it using the JP account that downloaded the trial? I also get the same error message if I try to play it with my normal US account.

Yeah that was it, forgot that Square MMOs don't work with the Sony account sharing system.

Tried it again with the Japanese account and I was being able to create a Japanese square enix account and got all that done but after the login and the first "You don't own all the content" warning, the IP block appears. So no, not working in Germany. :(

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Giving this a shot now. Google Translate is helping me at least get the gist of what is meant, even though some of its real-time translations are hilariously bad. When I think about it, it's pretty amazing to live in a time when I can hold my phone up to a screen and get a (rough) translation.